2011-2012 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, I was just posting the part if sending individual letters. If it's a letter packet I wouldn't worry.

Yeah, I'm glad you brought that to my attention--thank you! Just wanted to respond to your post and clarify for anyone else that was concerned about that. Although nowadays, I imagine most either have committee letters or packets, rather than individual AMCAS letters in their file.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I'm glad you brought that to my attention--thank you! Just wanted to respond to your post and clarify for anyone else that was concerned about that. Although nowadays, I imagine most either have committee letters or packets, rather than individual AMCAS letters in their file.

Yea, I think so. I'm just paranoid about having the right letters and amounts, being non-traditional (and non-science major) is kind of a PIA sometimes

Yea, I think so. I'm just paranoid about having the right letters and amounts, being non-traditional (and non-science major) is kind of a PIA sometimes

Hmm, I agree those definitely can make the process more tedious, but all the more rewarding! You're working harder than traditional students to enter the same playing field, so I commend you for that effort/diligence! :) Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received a complete notification via snail mail.

I know that the grading system is H/HP/P/F but what are the cutoffs (i.e. top 10% get H, 20 get HP) or is it based upon your actual overall grade not relative to the other students

I know that the grading system is H/HP/P/F but what are the cutoffs (i.e. top 10% get H, 20 get HP) or is it based upon your actual overall grade not relative to the other students

I think its H/HP/P/F and your whether you get honors or not is not dependent on your classmates' grades.

I only received the snail mail notification. Perhaps others have received emails though.

I've heard others have received BOTH e-mail and snail-mail. Last year, I only got snail-mail.

thanks for the feedback...i'll probably just receive snail mail then since i've had all the green check marks for a couple of days now

I wonder if it depends on whether you submit your secondary via snail-mail or email. I sent mine via snail-mail and received no email.
I faxed mine...i got an e-mail saying they received it and a letter saying everything is complete

Members don't see this ad :)
I only received the snail mail notification. Perhaps others have received emails though.

Good thinking! I submitted via snail mail too and I have only received snail mail notification that I am complete.

Good thinking! I submitted via snail mail too and I have only received snail mail notification that I am complete.
gotta get used to snail mail anyways with downstate...they dont send e-mail interview invites or acceptances just snail mail...lol i think the cruelest is to get an e-mail that your app has been updated and notified by mail of the decision haha

gotta get used to snail mail anyways with downstate...they dont send e-mail interview invites or acceptances just snail mail...lol i think the cruelest is to get an e-mail that your app has been updated and notified by mail of the decision haha

They DO send interview invites via email, but you are right, they send acceptances via snail-mail...and all the orientation stuff too.

SUNY Downstate has the admissions checklist... they say it updates about every two days so you can check your status there.

SUNY Downstate has the admissions checklist... they say it updates about every two days so you can check your status there.

That's true, but even if all the parts of your application are in place and have green checks, that doesn't necessarily mean that Downstate considers you "Complete." The only way you know that you're officially complete is by getting a message, via email, snail mail, or both, certifying that you're complete. Kind of silly, but it is what it is.

That's true, but even if all the parts of your application are in place and have green checks, that doesn't necessarily mean that Downstate considers you "Complete." The only way you know that you're officially complete is by getting a message, via email, snail mail, or both, certifying that you're complete. Kind of silly, but it is what it is.

When I applied last year, I got a a snail mail letter saying I was complete, but it is what it is...the process can be lengthy, so bear with the school's admissions office. In due time, you guys will find out what your statuses end up being. It's still somewhat early in the cycle! :)

I recently submitted my AMCAS and applied to Downstate but it's still in the process of getting verified. I noticed that the secondary for Downstate was available for download so I began filling it out. I finished filling the secondary out and I am wondering if I can submit the secondary before I have the AMCAS verified. I realize that they won't have my MCAT score or my Committee Letter packet until it does get verified, but is there a negative side to submitting it early?

If I am allowed to submit the secondary before the verification (through e-mail), is there a way for me to pay the processing fee electronically as well?

I have a silly question - when they say "electronic signature accpetable", do they mean I can just type my name into the box? xD Or do I have to insert a picture of my scanned signature or something?

Anyone know what they mean when they say 'atypical course sequence' for the prereq chart? Especially for bio since I have a lot of courses, I'm wondering whether I have to list them in sequence (like 101, 102 etc...) or if I can just pick and choose whichever courses I want to fill in there. Okay to do that, or is it bad juju?

Last edited:
I recently submitted my AMCAS and applied to Downstate but it's still in the process of getting verified. I noticed that the secondary for Downstate was available for download so I began filling it out. I finished filling the secondary out and I am wondering if I can submit the secondary before I have the AMCAS verified. I realize that they won't have my MCAT score or my Committee Letter packet until it does get verified, but is there a negative side to submitting it early?

If I am allowed to submit the secondary before the verification (through e-mail), is there a way for me to pay the processing fee electronically as well?

Go ahead and submit the secondary now. Eventually a link will pop up for you to pay the fee electronically through the Admissions Checklist.

I have a silly question - when they say "electronic signature accpetable", do they mean I can just type my name into the box? xD Or do I have to insert a picture of my scanned signature or something?

Sorry, the digital signature is a new item this year--last year, we had to submit via snail mail. I'd just fill out the forms, print, sign, scan, and attach in an email. I feel that's easier to be honest (and "old school" at the same time.)

Anyone know what they mean when they say 'atypical course sequence' for the prereq chart? Especially for bio since I have a lot of courses, I'm wondering whether I have to list them in sequence (like 101, 102 etc...) or if I can just pick and choose whichever courses I want to fill in there. Okay to do that, or is it bad juju?

An atypical course sequence would, sadly enough, be anything that is not "typical" for a pre-health professional school student. I would say you'd need to list something if you did something "out of order" or took a class out of sequence, etc.

In terms of the pre-req chart, just use the basic courses for your pre-reqs as you begin filling it out, and just make sure to line up the categories with the correct classes (my confusing way of saying list your courses in sequence--no need to "arbitrarily pick and choose". It's not going to make a difference if you put "super hard bio class" in the Bio boxes vs. "Intro to Bio 100"...they can see what classes you took from your AMCAS.

My primary was recently verified, and I was wondering how long does it take Downstate to send the username and password to access the Checklist. Or do I just send in my secondary and then get an email about checklist's username? Thanks!

My primary was recently verified, and I was wondering how long does it take Downstate to send the username and password to access the Checklist. Or do I just send in my secondary and then get an email about checklist's username? Thanks!
It took 16 days from the time that I my AMCAS was verified to the time that I got the email from Downstate with my username and password.

Since the PDF for the Secondary Application is already posted, you can start on it and send it in via snail mail or email to the Admissions Office. You will eventually get your login information for the checklist, but that will take some time. Your best bet is to complete the secondary and mail it in to the school. They will have your information eventually.

Anyone know when interviews go out?

I just got a letter in the mail today informing me that I am on hold pending Fall semester grades. :/...better than a rejection. We'll see what happens.

Does anyone else get an error message when they try to pay the secondary processing fee? I'm using the correct (and updated) browser.

i know downstate is very old school but someone said they email interview invites as well as send them out snail mail

By this time last year, my roommie and I both had received our invites. You guys should just remain calm, as they have not gone out yet. I know the Admissions Office is working a LOT as of right now--they responded to an email I sent them last night at 10:30PM our time. :)

do they go out by snail mail or email?

They go out via EMAIL, NOT snail mail (at least for last year).

By this time last year, my roommie and I both had received our invites. You guys should just remain calm, as they have not gone out yet. I know the Admissions Office is working a LOT as of right now--they responded to an email I sent them last night at 10:30PM our time. :)

They go out via EMAIL, NOT snail mail (at least for last year).
haha we r premed students its in our blood to be neurotic :p

Hi - Can someone help me out here?

I'm a little confused about Downstate's secondary process. Do I first
1) wait to get an e-mail from with my user ID/password

(this website, however, says that the AMCAS ID is both the username and password. http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/medicine/how_to_apply/index.html
I tried using my AMCAS ID as both and it didn't work)

2) then access my application checklist?

I was verified a couple of weeks ago but haven't heard anything from them. I think I might as well start on the secondary...but I'm not sure if I should go ahead and e-mail them the secondary without being able to access my application checklist and pay the fee.

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I've looked through this year's and previous year's thread, but I guess I'm still wondering exactly how optional are some of the questions. The only 2 that really pertain to me are the not being a New Yorker questions and why specifically SUNY.

For the why SUNY question, I have a brief sentence about wanting to focus on urban medicine as a physician. I don't know what else to put? Should I leave it blank instead of writing a general sentence that may come off as generic?

Thanks

Hi - Can someone help me out here?

I'm a little confused about Downstate's secondary process. Do I first
1) wait to get an e-mail from with my user ID/password

(this website, however, says that the AMCAS ID is both the username and password. http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/medicine/how_to_apply/index.html
I tried using my AMCAS ID as both and it didn't work)

2) then access my application checklist?

I was verified a couple of weeks ago but haven't heard anything from them. I think I might as well start on the secondary...but I'm not sure if I should go ahead and e-mail them the secondary without being able to access my application checklist and pay the fee.

Thanks!

1) Your login is your AMCAS ID for both username/password. Make sure you are using the correct Application year. That being said, you may not have access to it if you recently submitted your primary.

2) I would download the PDF and complete it. Then just email it to them or snail mail it to them with a check for the application fee. It's old school, but it's also how we did it last year as applicants. That way, they'll get your app AND you don't have to deal with waiting for the office to do their thing.

The office is swamped this time around because they're dealing with us incoming students and prospective students as well. Good luck!

Hi guys,

I've looked through this year's and previous year's thread, but I guess I'm still wondering exactly how optional are some of the questions. The only 2 that really pertain to me are the not being a New Yorker questions and why specifically SUNY.

For the why SUNY question, I have a brief sentence about wanting to focus on urban medicine as a physician. I don't know what else to put? Should I leave it blank instead of writing a general sentence that may come off as generic?

Thanks

The limit is 100 words this year, so you're in good shape. I'd try to "fill" responses (not with fluff, but with actual relevant information) with why you want to attend Downstate. There are a myriad of reasons--if you want to focus on urban medicine, what about Downstate will help you do that? I don't want to just give you the answer, but THINK about it carefully (maybe even peruse their website to get your mind jogging). Since you do want to focus on Urb Med, Downstate, IMO is great for you! Good luck and let me know if you have further questions!

1) Your login is your AMCAS ID for both username/password. Make sure you are using the correct Application year. That being said, you may not have access to it if you recently submitted your primary.

2) I would download the PDF and complete it. Then just email it to them or snail mail it to them with a check for the application fee. It's old school, but it's also how we did it last year as applicants. That way, they'll get your app AND you don't have to deal with waiting for the office to do their thing.

The office is swamped this time around because they're dealing with us incoming students and prospective students as well. Good luck!

Thanks, That's helpful!

just got invite, will be there on 9/8. was on hold actually last week tho for a rather minute issue, i guess the scrutiny may have been due to being considered for an interview

just got invite, will be there on 9/8. was on hold actually last week tho for a rather minute issue, i guess the scrutiny may have been due to being considered for an interview

congrats! I was put on hold a week or two before receiving an interview invite last year as well (to give more information about ECs) ... A short time after I sent them a response(even though I didn't have anything new to add on top of what I put in AMCAS) they sent an invite :luck:

how did you know you were actually on hold?

Congratulations and welcome! Look forward to seeing you on our campus, and good luck!

IF there are any admissions hiccups, you'll be emailed or a note is on your Admissions Checklist.

You found out by e-mail, I assume? And when were you complete, if you don't mind saying?

got a letter in the mail, no notification online (status nor email). Sent an email to clarify it and after a few days got this invite. just like that other poster

Congratulations and welcome! Look forward to seeing you on our campus, and good luck!

IF there are any admissions hiccups, you'll be emailed or a note is on your Admissions Checklist.

thank you sir!

You found out by e-mail, I assume? And when were you complete, if you don't mind saying?

hm..complete..don't remember getting "complete" email/letter. the last item marked as received on the checklist was my LOR on 7/14 so technically complete then i guess but can't say for sure.

and ya got email notification for interview.

Did only one person get an invite so far? :confused:

More Downstate enthusiasm guys! :) :luck: to everyone waiting! Everything will work out in the end!

Status
Not open for further replies.