2011-2012 University of Iowa (Carver) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably going to give up my alternate list position. I will be at Case Western later this summer :D Best of luck to the rest of you waiting!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
IS alternate list #3. Anyone know when the list generally starts to move? Admissions office said they over accept by 60 and then take off IS list first when people stop dropping and then I think OS list once 60 over accepted are gone.

Congrats! What do you think pushed you across?

Very nontraditional student (37 yrs old). Each year i followed up with a post application interview. Persistance, two addition courses, additional volunteering, and new essays were part of this year's application.

I'm not sure what pushed it over this year though... I gave 110% the first two years I applied also lol.

IS alternate list #3. Anyone know when the list generally starts to move? Admissions office said they over accept by 60 and then take off IS list first when people stop dropping and then I think OS list once 60 over accepted are gone.

I believe there is a separate wait list for OOS and IS. Also the over accept for just OOS and not IS so you should be hearing something relatively soon.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong here.

Congrats! I guess you are going to be a Hawkeye!!! :luck:

Thanks! Iowa is my top choice right now :xf:

Good luck to you:luck:

I believe there is a separate wait list for OOS and IS. Also the over accept for just OOS and not IS so you should be hearing something relatively soon.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong here.

Yes I think you are right. From what I remember, there's something like 100 spots in the class for IS and 40-50 for OOS. The two waitlists are independent of each other.

Last edited:
Yes I think you are right. From what I remember, there's something like 100 spots in the class for IS and 40-50 for OOS. The two waitlists are independent of each other.
~92-100 in state students and 40-50 OOS students, the waiting lists:
Usually ~50 IS waiting list spots and 100 or more OOS spots, since I'm IS didn't really pay attention to OOS list length. We might see some movement in the next couple weeks but mid-May is when it'll really happen.

Does anyone know how many spots people usually move on the IS Alternate list? Last year, people moved 27 spots but I wasn't sure if that was unusually high.

Does anyone know how many spots people usually move on the IS Alternate list? Last year, people moved 27 spots but I wasn't sure if that was unusually high.

I think something like 36 is the most it has moved in the last 5 years and about 12 is the least it has moved for IS. You can call and they will tell you exactly, but I think 20 is about average.

The OOS list has been exhausted in the past to the point where they had to take more IS students in a class, so definitely more movement on the OOS side.

Just called the office for some info, this is what I got:
The numbers are the position pulled, not the # of acceptances
IS: Least: 21, Most: 29, Average: 24, 50 people on the list
OOS: Least: 3, Most: 105, 125 people on the list.
I asked about standard deviations but she didn't have the data at hand. Hope this helps guys!

Last edited:
Just called the office for some info, this is what I got:
The numbers are the position pulled, not the # of acceptances
IS: Least: 21, Most: 29, Average: 24, 50 people on the list
OOS: Least: 3, Most: 105, 125 people on the list.
I asked about standard deviations but she didn't have the data at hand. Hope this helps guys!
Dude....you asked about Standard Deviation??!!:laugh::laugh::thumbup: I'm sure she wasn't prepared for that one:smuggrin: There's a job in Vegas with your name on it:idea:

Got the OOS waitlist letter a few days back and decided to withdraw and focus on the other schools I've gotten acceptances from. Good luck y'all if you'd like to know my place I was #7 on the OOS list so big up to #8 who just slid up a big spot!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude....you asked about Standard Deviation??!!:laugh::laugh::thumbup: I'm sure she wasn't prepared for that one:smuggrin: There's a job in Vegas with your name on it:idea:
Heck yes I asked for the stdev! This is vital information! But the way she keeps her records isn't conducive to the sort of analysis I wanted, it is more useful to individuals though. Assuming a pretty standard year <21 looking pretty good, <24 a good shot, 24-29 a shot, >29 real long shot.

Just dropped off the OOS waitlist officially. Best of luck to those still waiting!

Hi everyone! Congrats on those of you who were recently accepted and good luck to everyone waiting!
I'm currently an M1 at CCOM and am looking for a female roommate for a 2BR condo on Newton Road (right across from the Carver Hawkeye Arena) for the upcoming school year. It is only 10 minutes from the med school (walking)!! It is a very quiet area and the apartment is clean with several newer appliances. Rent is $425 a person plus electricity and internet (heat and water are included with rent). The apartment has a dishwasher, garbage disposal, and laundry facilities on-site. Lease runs from 8/1/12 to 7/29/13. I have several books from my M1 year that I will be keeping and would be happy to lend :) I also went to undergrad in Iowa City so I can show you around if you are from out of town! Let me know if you are interested or have any questions! You can email me at [email protected] :)

Here's a link to the website for pictures/additional details: http://cruiseapartments.com/properties/newton-road-condos

Hey everybody, I was accepted out of state, anyone know if I could switch to instate after a year of school?

Hey everybody, I was accepted out of state, anyone know if I could switch to instate after a year of school?

Nope. I asked this question on my interview day and was told that the only way to get in state status is "to document a year of in-state residency for purposes OTHER than education."

I believe marrying an Iowa resident was also mentioned as possible way to change residency status. Any Iowa ladies out there? :laugh:

I believe marrying an Iowa resident was also mentioned as possible way to change residency status. Any Iowa ladies out there? :laugh:

Was it really? Well my husband and I will be moving out this summer and even if he works full time for an Iowa based company and we buy real estate, I still will not qualify. As Penny from the financial aid office said, "this is the least friendly part about this school." Arg.

Was it really? Well my husband and I will be moving out this summer and even if he works full time for an Iowa based company and we buy real estate, I still will not qualify. As Penny from the financial aid office said, "this is the least friendly part about this school." Arg.

I'm 90% sure they said that, but that might be because he's moving with you and wasn't already a resident. So you didn't marry an iowa resident, rather you and your spouse moved out there together. :shrug:

I'm 90% sure they said that, but that might be because he's moving with you and wasn't already a resident. So you didn't marry an iowa resident, rather you and your spouse moved out there together. :shrug:

Oh, no that makes total sense--I was mostly just whining and trying to figure out how to get him to establish Iowa residency before our wedding in June! :)

has anyone not heard back yet from being in the final pool? I"m out in CA, but i figured I wouldve heard back by now!

You should have heard back, you should contact the admissions office to receive your decision.

Is anyone planning to attend IMEI. 10 June-20 July? I'm a non-traditional and think it would be a good idea... just looking for other comments?

....and good luck to all those on the waitlist!!

I was considering it. it sounds sort of cool but I'm not sure I want to give up my summer to it.

Is anyone planning to attend IMEI. 10 June-20 July? I'm a non-traditional and think it would be a good idea... just looking for other comments?

I'm only one year removed from my undergraduate degrees and I thought about it, but I don't want to have to study this summer. I plan on working full time instead. It might help a little with picking up some concepts faster, but I think having a summer to relax and mentally prepare you for what's ahead might be better. You don't want to burn yourself out before classes start.

Does anyone know the dress code for the get acquainted day and the social the night before?

Hey! Congrats on getting in. I am also a non-trad, and kind of anxious about next year and sick of my current jobs (and of living in Texas), so I applied for IMEI. I also think it will be a fun way to get to know people in a less stressful environment. I am arranging housing at one of the medical fraternities for the summer. I will probably get a 1 BR after that. Anyway, so I hope you do it too!

And newly accepted people, make sure you join our fb group!!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/196254480475145/

Anyone know when the updated wait-list will be sent back to us? I have been looking through threads from last year and they seem to update the two lists, IS and OOS, at separate times. Anyone catch when the updates will come since we passed the 22nd deadline last week?

Anyone know when the updated wait-list will be sent back to us? I have been looking through threads from last year and they seem to update the two lists, IS and OOS, at separate times. Anyone catch when the updates will come since we passed the 22nd deadline last week?

You can probably contact the program and find out directly if there has been any change to your position. I found out last week I moved from #6 to #4 on the OOS waitlist.

When you guys call you should update all of us! I'd volunteer to be first but I'm at work until 5.

I've moved up 4 spots on the IS alternate list, admissions said that not everyone had responded to the waitlist email and that she'd be sending out an update in the next couple days and then roughly every two weeks.

Just called the admissions office and checked my OOS Waitlist status. I moved from 84 to 59. It didn't sound like they've taken anyone off the waitlist yet... so it's probably just due to people withdrawing from the waitlist ahead of me. Have a good wednesday!

Moved from 99 to 71 on OOS waitlist. :luck:

Last edited:
I moved up four spots on the IS list as well (6 to 2). I am guessing that four people chose to go elsewhere. The probability of 1-5 not responding is quite low. Hopefully we continue to see movement :)

Last edited:
Does anyone have a sense of how quickly the list is moving compared to past cycles?

btw I got an email saying that I've moved 33 spots on the OOS waitlist. I started in the triple digits and now I'm in the 70's. I'm not holding my breath, but let's see how this goes :xf:

I moved up four spots on the IS list as well (6 to 2). I am guessing that four people chose to go elsewhere. The probability of 1-5 not responding is quite low. Hopefully we continue to see movement :)

We can always dream though! It would be awesome if they haven't started counting deferments/declines yet:p

Does anyone have a sense of how quickly the list is moving compared to past cycles?

btw I got an email saying that I've moved 33 spots on the OOS waitlist. I started in the triple digits and now I'm in the 70's. I'm not holding my breath, but let's see how this goes :xf:

In the middle of Ecology.... decided I could put my time to much better use. Thought I would share with you some of the info I've put together from last years thread. Last year, e-mail acceptances went out 3/9, so just about the same time as this years. All waitlist movement should be rather similar, and the difference may by an indication if this years waitlist is moving faster or slower than last years: First, the IS waitlist for 2010-2011.
3/17: #3 moved to #1
3/28: #31 moved to #26
3/28: #16 moved to #13
3/28: Still no one accepted off IS waitlist. #1 still #1
4/01: First Acceptance off IS WL. #1 accepted
4/06: Original #17 moved to #12
4/13 Original #16 moved to #9
4/23: Original #2 Accepted
5/13: Original #16 (now #9) moved to #3
5/16: Original #16 accepted
5/24: Original #21 moved to #3
5/27: Original #32 moved to #7
This waitlist moved a lot more than the OOS WL prior to the 15th, but there wasn't much thread posting after the 15th by IS SDN users. I know that #32 from last year did not get accepted IS, but was accepted this year (congrats; btw.)
Now to the OOS Waitlist from 2010-2011.
3/29: #61 moved to #41
4/09: #71 moved to #49
4/15: #2 still #2 (No one accepted off WL yet)
5/16: Original #11 accepted
6/9: Original #42 accepted
6/17: Original #64 accepted
6/19: Original #71 accepted
Last year there was a movement of about 20 from the #70-#80 WL students by 3/29. This year the same spot in the list (#70-80) has moved about 29 or 30. It looks like there seems to be quicker movement this year compared to last thus far in similar spots, but that definitely doesn't mean we have a better chance of getting in. WL #5-12 may all accept and the class could be full. Either way, there seems to be some hope this year at least. We'll see more around the 15th.

Hope this helps. It's a lot more interesting to me than squirrels ;)
GL

Thanks for putting that together, Western1. Next time someone calls they should ask if people are being accepted off the WL yet or if it was all people declining. Good luck to us all!

I'm withdrawing from my #4 OOS waitlist spot, so that should bump some up another notch!

Good luck all :luck:

omg western, you are an amazing human being <3 Thanks for going through all the data!!
I'm glad we're seeing a little more movement this year, hopefully a lot of applicants on the alternate lists will get in.

I was originally 32 last year and I think I finished at 3 towards late July on the IS list.

Interview Jan 27th. Placed on IS alternate list #6 in early March (March 9th I think?). Moved up to IS alt. list #2 on March 28th. Acceptance e-mail April 2nd at 1:27pm. Hope my timeline helps. Good luck everyone :D

Congrats! Thanks for the update, did they just start sending out acceptances like last year? (see western1's post for details)

In the last five years, these are the number they got to on the OOS WL (from a friend who doesn't have an account):

Last year: 85-- so not 85 accepted, but position #85 was eventually accepted
Two years ago: 76
3 years ago: 3
4 years and 5 years: 105

Anyone/ Any Out of Staters heard back about financial aid yet, May 15th is quickly approaching!

Not yet, I believe they started reviewing sometime last week. We might hear something towards the end of this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.