2011-2012 University of Iowa (Carver) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend called yesterday and moved up 3 spots since the email we got last Thursday.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all!

I am trying to make decisions on where to go to medical school but I have been on 11 interviews and have jumbled up all my memories :(

I was wondering if anyone who attends or knows the answers to these questions could help me.

1. How are classes graded in the first 2 years? P/NP? Honors pass? Grades?
2. How long do you get to study for the USMLE's and when in regards to finishing 2nd year classes and beginning rotations?
3. What is it like to live in Iowa city/ at Carver?
4. If you live/go here, what is the BEST and WORST part about the town and/or the school?

Any feedback would be so so sooo appreciated, I am freaking out and can't make a decision!!

Hello all!

2. How long do you get to study for the USMLE's and when in regards to finishing 2nd year classes and beginning rotations?
4. If you live/go here, what is the BEST and WORST part about the town and/or the school?
1. H/HP/P/F
2. I'm not sure, I'm an incoming student
3. Iowa city is pretty awesome, it has a good night life, is safe and the cost of living is pretty low. Which brings us to
3. The worst part of IC is that you're still in a smaller town, so if you're coming from a metropolis its a big change. With that said, you can always find something to do. Water skiing, frisbee golf, concerts, fishing, catch a play or the symphony. Good school and a nice city, it just doesn't have any standout features. Good luck with your choices!

I called in today to get an update and I have moved 6 spots on the IS waitlist since last Thursday's email.

Does anyone want to call in today and get an update on the IS wait list? I called last Friday and will probably end up calling tomorrow so I don't want to keep bugging them but I'd love an update. Or can anyone update us on if you've gotten in today or yesterday and what number you were. I'm sure we would all appreciate the information.

Hey everyone I called in today regarding the OOS waitlist and was told that they are still over accepted by 5 students. If someone with a high position on the waitlist can post if they are eventually admitted that would be greatly appreciated! Congrats to all of those accepted and good luck to those still waiting! :luck:

Just withdrew from my spot (OOS) at Carver.
Definitely a bittersweet moment--I had a fantastic time at the second look events and couldn't have been more impressed with the people, facilities, and the learning communities. (go McCowen!) Good luck to the WL folks, and to everyone attending next year.

For those wondering about the IS wait list.

I started at 36. On 5/3 I was at 21. As of the most recent email (5/16) I am at 9.

Hi all,

First of all, congrats on getting into and choosing Iowa! It will be an exciting journey, yet challenging at times. Nonetheless, there will be plenty of people (ie learning communities) and resources to help you out.

Next, if you're in the area, I highly encourage you to look for housing. Currently, I'm putting up my 2bdrm/2bthrm house for sale which is ready to move-in now. PM me for the contact information. In the meanwhile, here's a brief overview:

• Excellent location: 2.5 miles away from UIHC & campus. 5 miles away from Coral Ridge Mall and the newly opened Costco on 6/27/2012
  • Convenient public transportation: Westside Hospital bus stops directly at our place and drops you off in front of UIHC or MERF.
  • Quiet, professional community: Most of my neighbors were other med students/residents and dental students.
  • Open and spacious 2 level home: with 2 bdrm + 2 bthrm, walk-in closets, washer+dryer+refrigerator+microwave all included.

I do hope you will love this place as much as I did when I was a student here.

Finally, if anyone has anyone questions in regards to school and Iowa City, I'll do my best to answer them.

Last edited:

Hi, although someone else beat me to the punch, here are my replies:

1. H/HP/P/F

2. M2's last day of final exams was the 2nd week in May. Rotations begin on the Monday of the last week in June. In regards to how long you get to study, that will depend on your learning style. Some will do some "light" studying throughout the year to supplement their current courses, especially useful during FCP IV. During M2's second semester, people will form board study groups where they "teach" each other the topics listed in FA.

3. This is a pretty subjective question, hence difficult to answer, because people look for different things in a city/town. Downtown Iowa City is your typical college town with bars. But downtown will have some great non-chain dining options. During the summer, the college crowd will be gone so you'll see more locals dining outside. There are biking trails, outdoor activities, Farmer's Market here.

If you're more of a "city" person, Chicago is *only* 4 hours away. An economical option is taking Megabus. There were plenty of times where my roundtrip ticket was only $5. But back to Iowa City, there is Coral Ridge Mall in Coralville. At the mall, you'll find your usual stores in addition to the movie theater, ice-skating rink, and Target. Across from the mall, Costco will be opening right next to Super Wal-Mart.

4. This is another tough question. What may be the BEST part of my experience with this town/school might be your WORST and vice versa. I believe it's the people, experiences, and how you react/act to situations that will affect how you view this town/school. Sometimes, it's about taking a leap of faith.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
For those wondering about the IS wait list.

I started at 36. On 5/3 I was at 21. As of the most recent email (5/16) I am at 9.

Sounds like there is a little bit more movement this year on the IS list. FWIW, I started at 32 last year and was at 12 at this point. I was at 5 in the last email before classes started.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard anything about the OOS waitlist lately? Last I heard I was in the same position as before May 15.

[/QUOTE]

Since 1 and 2 have already been answered, I am skipping to 3 and 4 :)

3. I LOVE Iowa City. There are aspects of both big city and small town life that I did not want to give up, and Iowa City offers the perfect blend of the two. Iowa City is "big city" in that there is quite a bit of culture and opportunities, largely due to the University. The downtown is cute and there are multiple specialty shops and a decent number of restaurants and bars. It is "small town" in the awesome fact that you can always find parking within walking distance of your destination, and there are lots of trees and a river (lame, but find joy in the small things, right?). Coralville Reservoir (which has a nice beach area) is only a ten minute drive. In addition to being 4 hours from Chicago, IC is basically 4 hours from everywhere - Minneapolis, Omaha, St. Louis, and Kansas City is ~ 5 hour drive.

4. IMO: Best: People. My classmates are incredible and we all help each other out. There is not a competitive feel at all, as everyone genuinely wants everyone else to succeed. People post life-saving study guides frequently, and we have a very active facebook group for both school and extracurricular information.
Worst: Parking. The only thing I would like to see changed is cheaper parking close to the med school for students. With this being sad, many of us live on a bus route (which drops you off right at the doors) or within walking distance. Also, there are affordable nights/weekends parking passes. So, this really is not a big deal.

Last edited:
Side note about the OOS waiting list: Last year there was movement on it until about June 20. Good luck!

Most grants ( if they are "medical education grants", which I believe most are) will be awarded all four years, but you still have to file the FAFSA and Iowa Verification Form every year, just like with your other financial aid.

Hello everyone,

Congrats on getting in and choosing Iowa's program! For those of you looking for housing close to campus, I have rooms for rent in a beautiful home I just purchased located about as close to Carver as you can possibly get. It is a quarter mile (four minute walk) from UI hospitals and the football stadium.
I am looking for two roommates. The first would get two bedrooms upstairs (extra bedroom perfect for study/office) for $1,350/month and the second roommate would have a large bedroom downstairs with their own kitchen and living space for $1,100/month
Rent includes everything: free laundry, covered garage parking, cable/internet, a housekeeper, and all utilities.
I am furnishing the house with very nice furniture and can help provide furniture for the bedrooms if desired. Please contact me if interested!

[email protected]

Hey everyone, just called to check my OOS waitlist spot. The receptionist told me that they are still over-accepted by 1 student and haven't taken anyone off of the waitlist yet. She said it is a little later (not having any waitlist acceptances) than last year but that is probably due to them over accepting by 65 this year and not 60 like previous years.

OOS Update:
Just spoke with admissions. The OOS class is currently at capacity (no longer over-accepted). The next OOS to drop will result in our first OOS wait-list offer ... Finally!
I was originally #20 and am currently #13. How are people feeling about June movement?

OOS Update:
Just spoke with admissions. The OOS class is currently at capacity (no longer over-accepted). The next OOS to drop will result in our first OOS wait-list offer ... Finally!
I was originally #20 and am currently #13. How are people feeling about June movement?
Thanks for the update! I'm hoping that things move along briskly in June and into July ... it seems that they may have gotten a slower start due to the 5 extra overacceptances? But in past years it appears there was a fair amount of movement after May. I also wonder if all of those offered an acceptance will choose to attend or if there will be more movement from within the waitlist itself? Good luck to all those still waiting!!

Hi Everyone!!

I just checked my e-mail to see my acceptance letter from Carver.
I have been on the OOS Alternative List for a long time as #1 but that wait paid off!

I just wanted to ask people (esp. current students) about the grading systerm being H/HP/P/F. It seems like it's basically ABCD. What percentage of students get each grades? Is it mostly HPs or Ps that students get?

Hi Everyone!!

I just checked my e-mail to see my acceptance letter from Carver.
I have been on the OOS Alternative List for a long time as #1 but that wait paid off!

I just wanted to ask people (esp. current students) about the grading systerm being H/HP/P/F. It seems like it's basically ABCD. What percentage of students get each grades? Is it mostly HPs or Ps that students get?

I am starting here this fall so any current student feel free to correct me. From what I understand most classes determine H/HP/P via a curve with only the top 30% in the class getting H/HP. So for instance the top 30 percent start at 88% with the HP being the next few percentage points (88-90 or so) and the rest being H. Also 70 percent is passing. Not sure if this is how it works for every class but thats how it was described to me.

Hi,
I am leaving the country for 6 weeks and see that we need a health care provider to sign a form saying we don't have any communicable diseases! I don't have health insurance right now though--does this need to be done before school starts?

You should be able to go to student health for very little to no cost. Their number is 319-335-8394. You may want to call and make the appointment before you leave the country to make sure you can get in on time. I'm fairly certain we're supposed to have this done by orientation.

Hi,
I am leaving the country for 6 weeks and see that we need a health care provider to sign a form saying we don't have any communicable diseases! I don't have health insurance right now though--does this need to be done before school starts?

Per Checklist:

STUDENT HEALTH SCREENING FORMS: The health screening requirements are outlined at the UI Student Health
website under the Health Science Students section: http://www.studenthealth.uiowa.edu/forms-and-reports. Please review
this information carefully and comply with these requirements prior to orientation.
The Hepatitis B immunization series
must be completed before the beginning of your second semester.

Has anyone been accepted off of the OOS wait list recently? I moved up 2 spots from the last email update and was wondering if that was due to acceptances from the wait list or those below me dropping off! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.