2011-2012 Virginia Tech Carilion Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

so i know there's only around 40 students here but a lot of them seem to be OOS. would people agree that they're pretty OOS friendly?

so i know there's only around 40 students here but a lot of them seem to be OOS. would people agree that they're pretty OOS friendly?

So I am an incoming first year, but from what I remember from the interview day, the class is about 2/3 OOS and 1/3 IS. It's a public-private partnership, which I believe why they don't have to have IS preference...

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you guys seen this secondary application essay prompt?!? Unbelievable.

"Describe an experience in your life that was instrumental in shaping you as a person, and how this will help you to contribute as a medical student and to develop into a future physician thought leader. Can be up to 2 pages with 12-point font, single spaced, 1-inch margins. approximately 7000 characters."

What more can I say after pouring my guts out in my PS / activity descriptions / meaningful activity descriptions?

Have you guys seen this secondary application essay prompt?!? Unbelievable.

"Describe an experience in your life that was instrumental in shaping you as a person, and how this will help you to contribute as a medical student and to develop into a future physician thought leader. Can be up to 2 pages with 12-point font, single spaced, 1-inch margins. approximately 7000 characters."

What more can I say after pouring my guts out in my PS / activity descriptions / meaningful activity descriptions?

I think this may change due to the addition of the most meaningful activity descriptions. Of course, I could be totally wrong.

Yeah, it definitely looks intense from the outset, but it isn't that bad. I think I only used like 3500 characters and I got in. Its like science writing, quality over quantity!

Good luck!!:luck:

Just received an email verifying receipt of my amcas application.
The email mentioned that screened secondaries would be going out soon.
Cheers!
Sam

Cheers!
Sam

Anyone know how long it usually takes for them to screen and send out the secondary apps? :D

Cheers!
Sam

Same here. :luck: to everyone.

Steve, this is getting ridiculous. Every. Single. School. I'm applying to... :smuggrin:

:laugh: Sorry. I'm interested in a lot of schools and ended up applying to a lot of them. Nothing wrong with casting a large net.

Has anyone received a secondary yet since the last email about applications being screened?

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i feel like vt has come off the radar; no news from them

The mission of VTCSOM is, in part, "to educate physician thought leaders through inquiry, research, and discovery. . ." Thought leaders are individuals who are recognized for innovative ideas and who demonstrate leadership in sharing, promoting, and implementing those ideas. Therefore, we are interested in learning how you've demonstrated the two primary traits of a thought leader: innovation and leadership.

As you complete the required essay, personal experiences you might consider writing about should portray: medical motivation, community involvement, scholastic achievement, leadership, research, or lab experience. Specific personal experiences could include: volunteer service, Peace Corps, mission work, business experience, military service, team sports, research experience, scholarly activity, entrepreneurship, artistic endeavors, or political involvement.

Note: For the following required essay, please limit your response to about 2 pages (using 1-inch margins, 12-point font, single-spaced -- approximately 7000 characters) and leave one blank line between paragraphs. We suggest that you compose, edit, spell check, and save your essay in a word processing document, and then import it into this application to ensure that all your information is transferred. Your essay will not be saved until you hit the "Save" button at the bottom of this page. If you wish to change or edit your essay after it is uploaded, then you will need to edit your original word processing document and then reload it into the appropriate essay section of the secondary application. Be sure to hit the "Save" button after reloading it in the secondary application.

Life Experience Essay involving Innovation, Leadership or Teamwork:
Describe an experience in your life that was instrumental in shaping you as a person, and how this will help you to contribute as a medical student and to develop into a future physician thought leader.

Update Essay (optional):
Use this optional essay opportunity to update the information you provided in your AMCAS application on your recent experiences, such as medical volunteering, shadowing, community service, research experience, leadership or teamwork experience, and work experience. Please do not repeat information already reported in your AMCAS application. For the optional essay below, please limit your responses to about 3500 characters (1 page, 1-inch margins, 12-point, single-spaced) and leave one blank line between paragraphs.

How are the reviews on this place? It seems like a really interesting school, but I do not have much information on it.

Nope nothing for me :/
I wonder if we'll get notification about not getting secondaries/being screened out.

I still think that this essay is entirely redundant, as it asks us to address the same exact topics as covered in our personal statements. They have made a powerful enemy today :ninja:.

This essay prompt is incredible. Anyone figure this school out? Research intensive, median sGPA/MCAT 3.38/32, only 42 students...I'm confused.

wooo first screened secondary i believe

also received the secondary today, added this school on 6/30!

Anyone having difficulties submitting the supplementary app?
I got the invite, created an account, but it says "No terms available" to submit for.
Anyone else see this?

Whoot!!! Pumped to receive the screened secondary.... this is going to the front of my list to complete.

Anyone having difficulties submitting the supplementary app?
I got the invite, created an account, but it says "No terms available" to submit for.
Anyone else see this?

I see that, but there is a link to start secondary application.. you just hit that and it starts up w/o errors.

I'm having the same problem. I can't proceed to the payment page to submit the application.

Last edited:
So i checked the MSAR out for this school and realized that only 2 Native Americans matriculated at this school last year and there are absolutely no other URMs. why is that?

U R Mad? :laugh:

Last edited:
Let us know if anyone figured out the "no terms available" issue. I'm all for not having to fill out essays, but I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be more to this secondary than just my name and mailing address

NO not at all. I wouldn't want to apply to a school that has no students like me. I just came across the thread and checked it out on MSAR. i am not even interested in the school. i was just surprised but oh well!!!

If you are basing your Med. school decision on how many URM at that particular school, you will be in for a bumpy ride. Just imagine what the acronym URM stand for. (Under-Represented Minority).

Let us know if anyone figured out the "no terms available" issue. I'm all for not having to fill out essays, but I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be more to this secondary than just my name and mailing address

Even though it says no term available, there are still the essay prompts to fill out (actually you upload word documents). Click on the button that says "Work on Application" after you sign in. As for submitting it, no clue how that works since I think I am not going to pursue this school any further.

Describe an experience in your life that was instrumental in shaping you as a person, and how this will help you to contribute as a medical student and to develop into a future physician thought leader.

Last edited:
Yeah but at least there are alot of schools who have at least a number of URMs. I most certainly would not feel comfortable going to a school like this and that is my opinion. i know this process is no easy ride, but imagine being the only person of your kind in a group of people that you will spend 4 years of your life with. No thank you!!!!

If that is your opinion of the school, then call the school and talk to them about it. Maybe you've misunderstood.

Otherwise don't apply there.

Either way, this line of conversation marks the beginnings of a flame war and probably should not continue at this venue.

Yeah but at least there are alot of schools who have at least a number of URMs. I most certainly would not feel comfortable going to a school like this and that is my opinion. i know this process is no easy ride, but imagine being the only person of your kind in a group of people that you will spend 4 years of your life with. No thank you!!!!

Kinda racist dontcha think?

I'll call the admissions office Monday morning to figure out the 'no term available' glitch (if it is not resolved before then) and will let you guys know what they say.

Also, let's save the URM debate for the pre-allo forum.

At least other people are having the same issue with the "terms". Is anyone seeing random documents show up in account and username info? I only see two from a summer class at a community college. Is anyone seeing all schools in the documents if you have attended different schools?

This account was used with the following form(s):
Application for Admission (College of *****)
Select A Major (College of *****)

Anyone doing the Personal Potential Index (PPI) evaluation reports for Virginia Tech? How "optional" is this?

Anyone doing the Personal Potential Index (PPI) evaluation reports for Virginia Tech? How "optional" is this?

I hope it's very optional :/ I don't want to ask all my recommenders to do a second evaluation...

Yea, I had never heard of this. I'm curious to know what others are doing as well. I'm sure I could probably get my LOR writers to do it, but is it worth bothering them? One of them is a rather busy doctor, and I would hate to hassle him again.

What exactly is this? I received the secondary invite, but I haven't entered in essays yet so I haven't seen this part of the application. Could some please explain? Thanks!

Yea, I had never heard of this. I'm curious to know what others are doing as well. I'm sure I could probably get my LOR writers to do it, but is it worth bothering them? One of them is a rather busy doctor, and I would hate to hassle him again.

Agreed, all of my LOR writers are rather busy and I don't feel good about bugging them.

Status
Not open for further replies.