2011-2012 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll be totally fine. The St. Louis airport is super speedy. I've shown up 45 minutes before my flight before and had no trouble getting to the gate for boarding. They are just super efficient with the security stuff.

Heads up, when I was there last week, security took almost an hour. They had so few TSA people working. Give yourself some extra time!

Members don't see this ad.

For the people who have already interviewed, can you describe how much of the tour is outside? It looks like it might rain when I'm going to visit, and I'm concerned about whether I need to bring a second pair of shoes for wandering around in the rain.

I remember something about Olin Hall and the med school being connected, but I didn't know if any other part of the program took us outside.

For the people who have already interviewed, can you describe how much of the tour is outside? It looks like it might rain when I'm going to visit, and I'm concerned about whether I need to bring a second pair of shoes for wandering around in the rain.

I remember something about Olin Hall and the med school being connected, but I didn't know if any other part of the program took us outside.

None of the tour is outdoors (literally every building, from Olin to admissions to the lecture halls to all the hospitals, is interconnected :laugh:), though you may have to walk 1 block outside on your way to lunch.

Members don't see this ad :)
None of the tour is outdoors (literally every building, from Olin to admissions to the lecture halls to all the hospitals, is interconnected :laugh:), though you may have to walk 1 block outside on your way to lunch.

Thanks! I was not looking forward to deciding between ruining my nice shoes or bringing along a second pair of shoes to get waterlogged.

One of my friends had a tour where they spent half an hour trudging through puddles in a downpour, but I've been lucky (thus far) to have good weather on my interview days. (Now I have to find wood to knock on...) :)

....We definitely went outdoors. Having said that, yes, all of the buildings are connected and perhaps they stay indoors when the weather is inclement.

If I interviewed on 10/18, will I find out with this Friday with the first batch of applicants?

Can someone help me out? My interview at WashU is set for Dec 9th. Does anyone know if WashuU is interviewing on Dec 2nd? and if they will be receptive to me changing my date?

Can someone help me out? My interview at WashU is set for Dec 9th. Does anyone know if WashuU is interviewing on Dec 2nd? and if they will be receptive to me changing my date?

Yes, they interview every weekday. I can't answer the second part for you. Call them and ask?

As far as who will hear about decisions this weekend, only people who've been accepted will hear anything. And I have no idea what dates they'll be considering.

Anyone else interviewing this Monday (11/21) going to be around this weekend? I'm arriving on Saturday and I have no idea what to do. Please PM me.

Anyone else interviewing this Monday (11/21) going to be around this weekend? I'm arriving on Saturday and I have no idea what to do. Please PM me.

So the first years are holding a Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday at 7:30 in Shell Cafe and applicants are more than welcome. I'll send you the email for our class president so you can get more info from him. Otherwise, things to do in the Central West End: Forest Park! There's a free zoo and art museum and the park is beautiful and huge. If you go during the daytime you'll be perfectly fine. Check out the restaurants on Euclid Ave (all within walking distance). Good ones include: Tortillarilla, Central Cafe, Oasis, Tom's, West End Wok. There's also a movie theater in the Chase Hotel, which is also within walking distance. Yay!

Members don't see this ad :)
So the first years are holding a Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday at 7:30 in Shell Cafe and applicants are more than welcome. I'll send you the email for our class president so you can get more info from him. Otherwise, things to do in the Central West End: Forest Park! There's a free zoo and art museum and the park is beautiful and huge. If you go during the daytime you'll be perfectly fine. Check out the restaurants on Euclid Ave (all within walking distance). Good ones include: Tortillarilla, Central Cafe, Oasis, Tom's, West End Wok. There's also a movie theater in the Chase Hotel, which is also within walking distance. Yay!

I know your post wasn't for me, but it just reminded me how much I loved Wash U and the surrounding area of St. Louis. I loved the zoo and Forest Park! Oh, and Pi. I'm really hoping for some good news from them.

I know your post wasn't for me, but it just reminded me how much I loved Wash U and the surrounding area of St. Louis. I loved the zoo and Forest Park! Oh, and Pi. I'm really hoping for some good news from them.

Judging by how much you appear to love WashU, I'm pullin' for ya too. Sendin' good vibes your way for an early acceptance! :luck:

For those who interviewed and stayed at Olin Hall, were there towels?

Oh yeah, and bring workout gear, if you're into that sorta thing. There's a full gym and basketball courts (you can sign out balls, irons, etc) from the front desk, free of charge.

I think Wash U is a very long shot for me. I am not a super star like most of you. What the heck, they invited, so I am coming. I have to lower my expectations so that I dont get dissappointed at the end. Booked the flight already. At least, I get to see St. Louis. :)

it is kind of early but has anyone received any good news yet? :D

yeah. last year, while decisions were relased online on Nov 19th (Friday) at midnight, some people got calls on the 18th. (!!) eek!

According to the best current guess, first round of decisions should be coming out Friday or Saturday

The website gets updated at midnight (central time) on Friday nights after decisions are made. Midnight exactly. I promise. Some people get called earlier, but not everyone (I didn't)

The website gets updated at midnight (central time) on Friday nights after decisions are made. Midnight exactly. I promise. Some people get called earlier, but not everyone (I didn't)

I didn't either. They give your interviewer the opportunity to call you if they want, but they tend to be very busy people, so not everyone will get that call.

:luck:

Does WashU release all acceptances for...say...its first 3 weeks of interviewees in one go? In other words, if I interviewed very early, does not getting an acceptance in this first batch mean that I'll be waiting till March?

Does WashU release all acceptances for...say...its first 3 weeks of interviewees in one go? In other words, if I interviewed very early, does not getting an acceptance in this first batch mean that I'll be waiting till March?

I don't believe so. I believe they keep files under review the whole time until March.

oooh...wait...sorry...haven't been following the thread very closely...but are decisions this year expected to go out midnight tonight...or tomorrow?

aaaghhhh...the wait!!!

:luck: all!

oooh...wait...sorry...haven't been following the thread very closely...but are decisions this year expected to go out midnight tonight...or tomorrow?

aaaghhhh...the wait!!!

I think it's tomorrow, but I'll be on the edge of my seat too. :xf:

i interviewed last week. im guessing no shot at hearing back tomorrow

i wonder till which interview dates apps have been considered for decision tomorrow?
....what i read in another thread is so true: the day before decisions are released comes by so quickly...but it takes forever for that day to turn into the one when decisions actually roll out...
sighz

You're application will stay under active consideration the entire year, so no news now doesn't necessarily mean you won't hear anything until March. You could hear in December.

aaaghhhh...the wait!!!

Definitely tomorrow night.

In other news, I'm kind of back in y'all's shoes tomorrow. I have an interview to transfer into the MSTP. And I thought once I got into med school, I'd be done with this interviewing thing for awhile...

In other news, I'm kind of back in y'all's shoes tomorrow. I have an interview to transfer into the MSTP. And I thought once I got into med school, I'd be done with this interviewing thing for awhile...

!! you're trying to do MSTP!? that means we'll have you around forever! yay! :D good luck!! :luck:

Definitely tomorrow night.

That's pretty cool! Are you looking to do something math related?

!! you're trying to do MSTP!? that means we'll have you around forever! yay! :D good luck!! :luck:

Except if I get in, you'll be the one leaving me now, and that's not fair either.

That's pretty cool! Are you looking to do something math related?

To some degree, yes. But I've kinda fallen for molecular genetics. Ideally, I'd do something molecular genetics-y in diabetes that involves a bit of math modeling. How realistic that is, unclear.

Except if I get in, you'll be the one leaving me now, and that's not fair either.

Well, I'm thinking I might pick up another Masters degree along the way (MSCI), and I can really see myself staying here for residency. and forever after. I really love it here :) I don't mind it being a black hole for my life. So no worries!

Rejected by MSTP. Waiting on MD decision. Interviewed on 10/27. The interviews sucked, completely ruined my impression of the MSTP here.

Rejected by MSTP. Waiting on MD decision. Interviewed on 10/27. The interviews sucked, completely ruined my impression of the MSTP here.

I'm applying PhD and have been told I have a great chance of getting in. I plan on reapplying MSTP after retaking my MCAT. Would you mind PMing me and elaborating?

waiting for midnight...i'm finding it harder and harder to concentrate on my work as the hours crawl on by...oh washu, please, please, PLEASE, love me back

I'm applying PhD and have been told I have a great chance of getting in. I plan on reapplying MSTP after retaking my MCAT. Would you mind PMing me and elaborating?

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who has negative feelings for WashU MSTP.:laugh:
I'm still looking forward to the MD decision tonight though!

Just realized that by midnight, they probably meant midnight CST :(

45 more minutes....

nothing on my end. Wait to be rejected. lol, not that I care much

Status
Not open for further replies.