2011 Waitlist Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it just me, or does the thought of an upcoming weekend (when we are least likely to hear about movement on a waitlist) just stress you out?

Seriously, I have never NOT looked forward to weekends so much in my entire life. And most of the time I am wishing for life to slow down, not speed up. However, right now, all I want is for April 15th to get here!!!!! And for these waitlist blues to leave and never return.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it just me, or does the thought of an upcoming weekend (when we are least likely to hear about movement on a waitlist) just stress you out?

Seriously, I have never NOT looked forward to weekends so much in my entire life. And most of the time I am wishing for life to slow down, not speed up. However, right now, all I want is for April 15th to get here!!!!! And for these waitlist blues to leave and never return.

Same...

Sorry, I'm an international student, so I'm not really that familiar with the April 15 policy. From what I know, grad students must signify their intent on or before April 15. So does that mean that programs can still extend their offers to us not-deemed-worthy-enough after that date? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I'm an international student, so I'm not really that familiar with the April 15 policy. From what I know, grad students must signify their intent on or before April 15. So does that mean that programs can still extend their offers to us not-deemed-worthy-enough after that date? :(

The one program where I was put on the waitlist said they would notify people starting April 18th about final results. I don't know if that's normal, but I imagine it would be since some people will wait until the last possible second to make a decision.

I had the flu for a couple of days. If anyone is still struggling with the waiting game, a good old case of the flu does wonders for getting your mind off of this entire process... :laugh:

:xf: Fingers crossed :xf: for some movement on these waitlists this week!!!

:xf: Fingers crossed :xf: for some movement on these waitlists this week!!!

I too have my fingers crossed. I think it's time that people start making decisions! I don't like waiting on other people in situations like this. Good luck to everyone this week and in the next few!

Another one here joining the wait list support group :)

Considering I was anciticipating a rejection, I suppose the wait list letter was a pleasant surprise...but it does mean that the waiting continues, sigh.

It does spawn a whole new set of worried thoughts..."Did they simply put everyone on the waitlist who interviewed so they look better? I could be in spot number 25 or something..."

Oh boy, I can tell already that this will be fun...

Best wishes, everyone!

Does it seem out of line or too forward to email my POI at my top choice, where I am on the waitlist, to say that I have received an offer but would rather attend their program? I would word it much better than that, but that'd be the general idea.

Does it seem out of line or too forward to email my POI at my top choice, where I am on the waitlist, to say that I have received an offer but would rather attend their program? I would word it much better than that, but that'd be the general idea.

It's probably not necessary. They know you are interested, that is why you applied and interviewed. The POI is probably waiting to hear from the student they offered the spot to, so contacting them is not going to hurry this process.

You don't have to give the other program your decision until April 15th, or when/if you receive a rejection from your top choice, so just hang tight (easier said than done, I know).

It's so maddening! I have an offer from a safety school, but I'm waiting for a school that I LOVE :love:. I just hate putting someone else in the same position that I'm in right now!

It's so maddening! I have an offer from a safety school, but I'm waiting for a school that I LOVE :love:. I just hate putting someone else in the same position that I'm in right now!

I totally feel ya on that one! I hate it. Of course, we are probably waiting on people that are doing the same thing and hating it too.

What I am worried about is that I will end up at my safety school... waiting around on this waitlist until April 15th.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally feel ya on that one! I hate it. Of course, we are probably waiting on people that are doing the same thing and hating it too.

What I am worried about is that I will end up at my safety school... waiting around on this waitlist until April 15th.

...somebody needs to move...something needs to happen; I am wait-listed, still await a peep (planned fro 03/21)...please, if you know you are not going to take a place...notify them....waiting is the hardest thing...

That is exactly where I am right now. I am very happy to have an offer from a great program (albeit my safety school). But the waiting continues, because I am next in line for my top school. Just waiting for this one mystery person to accept or decline... Nonetheless, it is much more pleasant on this side of the table than before I had an offer and I was stressing over "plan B". Hope more of you join me on this side of the table!

:) I am an optimist, but this process is sure messing with me head.

Just got off the waitlist at a school tied with 2 others at the top of my list. I'll need to see how things play out with the other 2 (currently waitlisted at both) and then compare/contrast to make a decision. So happy!

Wouldn't it be ironic if someone at the school we were waiting for was actually waiting to hear from the school we were accepted at but holding out on accepting at? Ahh, sweet irony.

Wouldn't it be ironic if someone at the school we were waiting for was actually waiting to hear from the school we were accepted at but holding out on accepting at? Ahh, sweet irony.

I was just thinking about that on my drive into work this morning!

just got off the waitlist at a school tied with 2 others at the top of my list. I'll need to see how things play out with the other 2 (currently waitlisted at both) and then compare/contrast to make a decision. So happy!

congrats!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm in off the waitlist at my number one school!!!

I am so very happy. Of course, I am still crossing my fingers for all of you! There is exactly a month until April 15th and I'm sure there will be a lot of movement in the next couple of weeks.

I am also getting ready to release a spot in a program where I have an acceptance. I hope it helps one of you out!

I am so very happy. Of course, I am still crossing my fingers for all of you! There is exactly a month until April 15th and I'm sure there will be a lot of movement in the next couple of weeks.

I am also getting ready to release a spot in a program where I have an acceptance. I hope it helps one of you out!

Congratulations! Thanks for giving the rest of us a little extra hope.

Also, you may just have opened yourself up to be bombarded with PM's asking you for the program where you're going to be opening up a spot. :laugh:

Congrats!

I took myself off the wait list for Uconn because I got another offer. I was told I was high on the list, so I hope that helps someone eventually! :)

Just emailed my POI, who sent me back a rather cookie cutter response about how I'm a strong candidate but they've extended offers, etc etc. Like everyone else, I have no idea where I am on the list. It's sad because I applied to this school not really thinking about it, but when I interviewed there I fell in love with it. Going to go ahead and look for some jobs...

Just emailed my POI, who sent me back a rather cookie cutter response about how I'm a strong candidate but they've extended offers, etc etc. Like everyone else, I have no idea where I am on the list. It's sad because I applied to this school not really thinking about it, but when I interviewed there I fell in love with it. Going to go ahead and look for some jobs...

Don't give up yet Corenna! Those who were offered admission may decline as we get closer to April 15th. Even though you may not know where you are on the list, just keep some hope alive, because you never know! I'm all for having a back up plan, but it isn't over for at least another month. Hang in there!

Hi:

this is for all those who are like me - wait-listed...:
do you all still hope to get in or do start feeling blue-er like me, i.e., sort of realizing that it is most likely not going to happen for most/all of us...the happy moment when we move up and get accepted??

I am ambivalent about when to call it...too soon??

What you all think? :xf:or :thumbdown: ?

G'luck anyway :luck:

Ms. Phipps

Hi:

this is for all those who are like me - wait-listed...:
do you all still hope to get in or do start feeling blue-er like me, i.e., sort of realizing that it is most likely not going to happen for most/all of us...the happy moment when we move up and get accepted??

I am ambivalent about when to call it...too soon??

What you all think? :xf:or :thumbdown: ?

G'luck anyway :luck:

Ms. Phipps

Well, I've been told that a lot of action happens on waitlists in the days before and after April 16th. I would see it as a good sign if you haven't been outright rejected yet, as it means the person who is holding your spot has not accepted yet and is hoping to go somewhere else. That means that if they get an offer from their first choice, they're going to open up the slot that YOU want. However, they may be waitlisted and waiting on someone else . . . etc. I would definitely not throw in the towel until April 16th, or until you hear real confirmation that your spot has been taken already. :xf:

I'm like you, high on four waitlists right now, wondering what it was I could have done that would have gotten me that initial offer...however, this is how I view it. I am very happy I got interviews. I feel that if I got interviews this year, this means SOMEONE at one of these schools thought I was PhD material, and I was good enough to get waitlisted rather than be given a rejection post-interview. With that, I am more optimistic that next year I can apply and get as many if not more interviews, be more well-versed in the process, and hopefully come off as more of an old pro. Don't get me wrong though...my phone is CONSTANTLY by my side, getting checked multiple times a day because I am currently done with school and have a lot of times on my hands.
I would say don't give up hope yet, like others have said there is a little less than a month left, and from reading old threads it seems that movement really does not start until the beginning of April. So, hopefully it will happen and we will both get in somewhere...and if not, we just have a year to make some good money and delay growing up for a little bit longer :D

Good luck to you!

Sounds like you have really good odds, being high on 4 wait lists! That's where I was, and I got an offer this Monday. You have a really good attitude about it too. I have heard several stories of people applying and getting a couple interviews and no offers the first time, then getting into their number one school the next year (not a bad situation if you end up getting in your top school). But, I haven't heard any stories of people being on 4 wait lists and not getting in somewhere. I'm sure it happens, but you should be feeling really good about your chances.

I'm not sure if this is covered here. I have no acceptances yet, but I'm waitlisted at my top two programs. One is a strict mentor model (where I'm the mentor's second choice) and where I felt I fit the best. How are people feeling about taking offers off the waitlist knowing they are second best?? or second ranked? and then having to work closely with the professor who put you there? Does anybody feel this way? I would gladly take a waitlist acceptance, but there is a feeling of rejection there. Thoughts?

I'm not sure if this is covered here. I have no acceptances yet, but I'm waitlisted at my top two programs. One is a strict mentor model (where I'm the mentor's second choice) and where I felt I fit the best. How are people feeling about taking offers off the waitlist knowing they are second best?? or second ranked? and then having to work closely with the professor who put you there? Does anybody feel this way? I would gladly take a waitlist acceptance, but there is a feeling of rejection there. Thoughts?

Good question! I'm waitlisted at three places right now and waiting to hear from one last school still, with no acceptances yet...so at this stage, no, I wouldn't feel I was second rate despite being second choice if I were to get in off the waitlist. (Although the situation at one of the waitlist programs is pretty weird--I'm my POI's first choice, but he was not able to extend an offer to a student in the first waive of admissions due to there being more faculty with lab vacancies than there are spots in the 2012 cohort available).

Finishing out at number two (or three, or whatever it may be) out of the probable dozens of highly qualified people who applied for that same spot ain't too shabby (though being number one would be awesome, of course).

Plus, the way I see it, all but one of my schools are not MY first choice either, so the "settling" goes both ways.

I know how you feel, I was waitlisted at one of my top spots. I looked at it like 150-200 applied and I was one of 4 that got to interview (I know those people didn't all apply to work with my POI, but it helps), then I was his second choice, so still in the top 50% of that group...not so bad when you realize how many people there are competing for these spots.

I was lucky enough to get accepted to my number one and maybe you will too and you can turn down those other programs when they ask you :)

I was wait-listed at my top spot and I was just recently accepted at my second spot.

Thankfully, cognitive dissonance has been working its magic and my second spot has become my top spot. :idea:

It turns out my second spot was really the best choice for me after all! Thanks Dr. Fessinger!! :laugh:

I was wait-listed at my top spot and I was just recently accepted at my second spot.

Thankfully, cognitive dissonance has been working its magic and my second spot has become my top spot. :idea:

It turns out my second spot was really the best choice for me after all! Thanks Dr. Fessinger!! :laugh:

haha i love this!!

It wouldn't bother me at all. I am on the wait list at my top school. I am even a little surprised I got an interview there, so being in the top two is a huge surprise. The POI explained to me that once it got to the top two applicants it was splitting hairs as to who got the first offer. There is a good chance that the other person had just one thing above you, like 50 points on the GRE- and at that point maybe it wasn't the mentors choice but the admissions committee made the call. Not much solace if you don't get in...

Also, if that person hasn't accepted the offer to one of your top schools they may be a stellar applicant who is waiting for an offer for even more competitive schools. I must say that it makes a huge difference when the POI is openly communicative with you and makes it known that they are still very interested in you, and would love to work with you.

I have also been accepted off the wait list to another school and it doesn't phase me. It would play no role in my decision to accept. (Although that school is not a mentor model.)

Waitlisted at CW Post. Received notification over the weekend via snail mail.

Here is my question, sorry if this topic has been covered elsewhere. I have an offer which I have not yet accepted. It is at a great school where I am a great match, and I know I would be happy there academically. The location is less than ideal, and is probably the only reason that this school is #2 in my mind rather than #1. I am the first alternate at my top choice, and my POI there is being very encouraging that she wants to be able to find a way to get me an offer (she said that she's looking into whether or not she could accept a second student, even.) Both programs are wonderful, and it really may just be location that puts my #1 at #1 and my #2 at #2.

I'm starting to feel very anxious about not accepting the offer that I've got. I've had it for almost a month, and I've gotten a few e-mails from POI there wondering where I am in the decision making process. I really don't want to hold off too long so that she doesn't think I'm not thrilled about the offer, and I really don't want to keep the alternate waiting so long. But I'm just really wanting to hear back from #1 before I make the decision.

So... how long to wait before I just accept at my #2 and give up on #1?

Here is my question, sorry if this topic has been covered elsewhere. I have an offer which I have not yet accepted. It is at a great school where I am a great match, and I know I would be happy there academically. The location is less than ideal, and is probably the only reason that this school is #2 in my mind rather than #1. I am the first alternate at my top choice, and my POI there is being very encouraging that she wants to be able to find a way to get me an offer (she said that she's looking into whether or not she could accept a second student, even.) Both programs are wonderful, and it really may just be location that puts my #1 at #1 and my #2 at #2.

I'm starting to feel very anxious about not accepting the offer that I've got. I've had it for almost a month, and I've gotten a few e-mails from POI there wondering where I am in the decision making process. I really don't want to hold off too long so that she doesn't think I'm not thrilled about the offer, and I really don't want to keep the alternate waiting so long. But I'm just really wanting to hear back from #1 before I make the decision.

I think you can try to get some updates from your top choice and see where things are right now. Theoretically you can wait until April 15th, but the call is up to you I guess. I think I would wait a little longer too so that you can make the most informed decision, especially the POI said that she's helping you.

I feel your pain -- I held my first offer for 3+ weeks, in my case because it was an early offer and I had yet to visit several schools. I felt bad to delay that particular POI, but in the end, I decided to accept an offer from the very last school I visited. In retrospect, I'm really glad I stuck to my guns so that I could make the decision that was best for me.

Honestly, I think the April 15 rule is designed for situations like ours, and for the most part, POIs understand this. I think most POIs even understand that, just like they have a first choice, we have a first choice too.

If the other school is truly your #1 (as in, you would definitely accept a spot off the waitlist, if offered), then you have every right to hold on to the first offer until April 15. This is especially true since you've been told that you're first alternate for Spot 1 and there may be a Spot 2 added.

Personally, I would wait until the very end to see if I could get my first choice. That is a right you've earned by working so hard to be an outstanding candidate. If this were April 16th and you ended up getting the offer from your #1, you would most likely look back and say that waiting was so worth it.

The last thing you would want to do is accept your #2 only to find out later that your #1 would have been able to offer you a position. This is your life and you are making a big time investment over the next several years.

Furthermore, no matter how much pressure you feel from the POI at your #2, you have until the 15th. If you end up there, certainly you'll put forth your best effort and this process will be long forgotten in the mind of your POI.

Finally, as someone who is on 3 wait-lists, I don't really want the person who got offered the position at my top choice to accept early if it's not their first choice, especially if their first choice is at a more competitive program (better location, etc.) I would think this process works best if no one settles until the end. It makes for a lot of anxiety for everyone, but in the end, it may result in more people obtaining their top choice in programs.

For those of you still waiting on pins and needles . . . I was accepted off a waitlist this morning :soexcited: so don't give up hope yet! I had almost given up, when the email showed up in my inbox!

Also, a HUGE thanks to whoever gave up their slot at this school to go somewhere else! :bow: I hope you're very happy with your choice. :D

For those of you still waiting on pins and needles . . . I was accepted off a waitlist this morning :soexcited: so don't give up hope yet! I had almost given up, when the email showed up in my inbox!

Also, a HUGE thanks to whoever gave up their slot at this school to go somewhere else! :bow: I hope you're very happy with your choice. :D

CONGRATS!!!!!! I'm very happy for you!

Getting in off of the waitlist does happen! Hang in there everyone!
:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Could you PM me too? Like the above poster said, I'm just curious to know where people are getting in off their waitlists.

To all those who are in limbo, I feel your pain! I too am thinking about plan B's. Currently I'm waitlisted at my top two choices, and I have an acceptance for a funded MA program. I'm dying for one of the two wait-lists to work out, though!

I feel like most of the action happens on mondays... I'd like to see some mid-week action!

As some other posters have said, in the minds of the majority of supervisors (at least in my experience), there is generally no amount of disappointment or rejection assigned to having a "second choice" candidate attend the program. The difference between being offered an immediate acceptance and being placed on the wait list is often quite minimal, and most advisors would be very happy to work with any of their wait-listed applicants (hence the reason for placing you on the wait-list).

If nothing else, you can do what I did, and use it as motivation to show your advisor the mistake they made by not just taking you in the first place :)