2011 Waitlist Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was on three waitlists with zero acceptances. Yesterday, I got rejected off the waitlist at my top choice and felt completely defeated. I started thinking about plan B. Today I got my first acceptance and my life is completely changed! I just wanted to say to everybody who is still waiting to hang in there because it seems like movement is starting to happen and it only takes 1 acceptance.:)

CONGRATS!!!! It's so easy to get disheartened in this waiting process. Thanks for sharing your success story! It does only take one.

Hang in there everyone! It definitely isn't over yet.

Members don't see this ad.

waitlisted at my top choice clinical psyD programs. I have a few other options, but i'm holding out for this program hardcore. Does anyone know if the school has to notify their waitlisted candidates by april 15th? I tried asking but haven't heard back. Thanks! and good luck everyone!

i mailed in my withdrawal from fordham's counseling phd today. hopefully this helps someone on here. . .

Members don't see this ad :)
i just got an email from U Denver (counseling phd) stating that i am on their alternate list... i never was asked to interview there!!!!!! crazy times!

i just got an email from U Denver (counseling phd) stating that i am on their alternate list... i never was asked to interview there!!!!!! crazy times!

This happened to me at three schools. :confused:

This happened to me at three schools. :confused:

weird!!! i've heard that sometimes schools wait to reject you outright, because they never know when the people they interview either aren't as awesome as they hoped they would be, or all the people that they originally admit/waitlist go elsewhere?? the other 2 schools i didn't interview at rejected me eventually though. it's just so strange!!!

So I am wait-listed at my first choice. Congrats to everyone who got offers; but please remember that there is a line of deserving applicants waiting for you to make your decision. I've worked for 4 years to get into the lab I applied to and I imagine others are feeling the same way.

My POI has been e-mailing me every three days letting me know that no movement has been made on the waiting list. This is sooo nice of her and she is really going out of her way to support me but it's still driving me crazy. This is my top choice school and I really wish this person would decide already not to attend the program.

My POI has been e-mailing me every three days letting me know that no movement has been made on the waiting list. This is sooo nice of her and she is really going out of her way to support me but it's still driving me crazy. This is my top choice school and I really wish this person would decide already not to attend the program.

It must be kind of scary to open up her emails every three days.
I am on the same boat, though no email updates. And trying to figure out why people take so long to make a decision. I guess the system is a little strange.

So I am wait-listed at my first choice. Congrats to everyone who got offers; but please remember that there is a line of deserving applicants waiting for you to make your decision. I've worked for 4 years to get into the lab I applied to and I imagine others are feeling the same way.

I found out today that I got into my first choice school off the wait list! i did not believe it would happen, but it does, and it did!!

Before today I was holding onto an offer from another great school solely with the hopes of getting off the waitlist at my top school. I hope that at this point that most people who are are holding onto offers are not doing so because they are making decisions, but because they are waiting to get off another waitlist. This is the situation I was in, and therefore it was completely out of my hands. I accepted the offer from one school and declined the other school the same day I received the offer (today)- hopefully others are practicing the same diligence.

Just wanted everyone to know that I removed myself from Suffolk's waitlist. I was only in the middle of the waitlist so I don't know how helpful that was, but good luck to everyone!

that's awesome, congrats! we can only hope for the same good outcomes :)

I found out today that I got into my first choice school off the wait list! i did not believe it would happen, but it does, and it did!!

Before today I was holding onto an offer from another great school solely with the hopes of getting off the waitlist at my top school. I hope that at this point that most people who are are holding onto offers are not doing so because they are making decisions, but because they are waiting to get off another waitlist. This is the situation I was in, and therefore it was completely out of my hands. I accepted the offer from one school and declined the other school the same day I received the offer (today)- hopefully others are practicing the same diligence.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I, along with all of you lovely people, am waitlisted. Only at one school, though - my top choice. I applied to 6 programs, 4 rejections, 2 interviews, and I am on the waitlist at my top choice (IUP) and asked to be removed from the other waitlist (Florida Tech) for financial reasons. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything specific about the waitlist/chances of getting in off the waitlist at IUP. The clinical director told us on interview day that some years they don't go to the waitlist at all, and other years they accept every person on the waitlist. As of Friday, 3/25, I am #3 on their BA/BS waitlist (there's a separate one for Master's candidates).

Any thoughts??

Btw, this site has been a GODSEND. Don't know how I'd have gotten through without it. :D

Does anyone know how many people are typically put on a waitlist? The best I have gotten is I am on one waitlist and their policy is not to tell you what the exact number you are but where you rank (high low middle etc). It is a PhD mentor match school I am in the "middle" and I kind of remember hearing that in mentor match they usually put 3-4 on the waitlist but I wasnt sure. Anyone have any information?

All this waiting is getting tiresome! I interviewed for my top choice program in early February, was updated mid-March (told that decisions have not been made, but I am still being considered), and then heard back today that I am on the wait list! So more waiting for me!

Ah well, what's another couple weeks :shrug:

For those of you on the wait list for C.W. Post (Clinical PsyD), I declined their offer today. Hope that makes someone's day! :)

Well the waiting is almost over... just 2 weeks from today. Frankly, no matter the outcome, I'll be very glad when the process is cleared up.

Anyone else in agreement on that front?! :cool:

I can't believe I'm going to say this but the weekends are the worst part of the week. There is absolutely no movement on the weekends. I really hope to hear something from my top choice this week. I'm guessing at this point the person that has the offer is waiting to hear back from their top choice. Here is to some movement on the waiting list this week.

Well the waiting is almost over... just 2 weeks from today. Frankly, no matter the outcome, I'll be very glad when the process is cleared up.

Anyone else in agreement on that front?! :cool:

Ugh, yes and no... The thought of having to go through this all over again in the fall is almost too much to bear!!

I always hate the weekends (never thought I would hear myself say that!) because I know I won't be hearing anything for a few days. One of my schools is finding out their funding finally on Monday, so I suspect there will be some movement (or conclusion anyway) to their waitlist shortly thereafter... Fingers crossed!!! :/

I'm so glad I found this thread-- I'm not alone!

9 applications, 5 rejections, 4 interviews, 4 wait lists. First time applying. I'm currently working through whether to apply again, when, and what I want to do in the meantime.

Is this kind of record normal now? Would I have done better if I had applied to a larger number?

I'm so glad I found this thread-- I'm not alone!

9 applications, 5 rejections, 4 interviews, 4 wait lists. First time applying. I'm currently working through whether to apply again, when, and what I want to do in the meantime.

Is this kind of record normal now? Would I have done better if I had applied to a larger number?

I think that's pretty normal... of course there are going to be those rare few that get a load of acceptances (I wish!) but I think your odds are pretty good. I applied to 8 schools, had 2 rejections without an interview, 5 interviews, 2 rejections post-interview, and 4 waitlists - 1 rejection off a waitlist, 1 waitlist without an interview (!), and 2 waitlists post-interview. phew... and the wait continues. :scared:

Wow...talking if that record is normal, that is pretty much what mine are right now too. 9 apps, 3 rejections (haven't heard from two schools yet but by now I'm 100% they are a no-go), 4 interviews, and 4 waitlists. Of the four waitlists, I found the following: 1) Person already accepted, 2) The person accepted and there is a chance the prof could take another student, 3) First alternate for the lab, and 4) First alternate for the lab. Don't know what the odds will be (anyone else think these sound like good or bad odds?), but here's to hoping :xf: Good luck to you!

The odds sound very good!

I am on only one wait list and I am wondering whether the professor will just not tell me or forget about me when the person has already accepted the offer. Although I don't think I have any choice but to wait, I am always wondering whether this would be the case. :idea:

Hi,
I'm waitlisted at both Pace and La Salle... does anyone know if these schools usually draw upon their waitlists?

At the interview day, La Salle mentioned that they do typically draw from the waitlist- in fact, 2 of the grad students I met said they were originally waitlisted at the program. Hope this helps!

I'm first alternate for my POI's lab and there is only one person who hasn't responded yes or no. She has had the offer in her possession for two weeks. AT this point do you think the odds are her accepting or rejecting the offer?

I'm first alternate for my POI's lab and there is only one person who hasn't responded yes or no. She has had the offer in her possession for two weeks. AT this point do you think the odds are her accepting or rejecting the offer?

They are probably waiting to hear if they get off the waitlist at their top choice school... Which I'm guessing is what's preventing a lot of a us other ppl from getting off waitlists right now! Fingers crossed for you

1) Person already accepted, 2) The person accepted and there is a chance the prof could take another student, 3) First alternate for the lab, and 4) First alternate for the lab. Don't know what the odds will be (anyone else think these sound like good or bad odds?), but here's to hoping :xf: Good luck to you!

These do sound like nice odds -- good luck, hope things work out!

When do you think we're likely to see lots of movement? This week or next?

When do you think we're likely to see lots of movement? This week or next?

I hope this week... but at least we know that if it's not this week it has to be the next! :rolleyes:

At least that's what I'm trying to tell myself to keep sane.

Question: did I make this up, or are schools supposed to let all applicants know by April 1st whether or not they are accepted, rejected, or wait-listed? I interviewed at a school on Feb. 21st and still have yet to hear a peep from them. Granted, I already accepted an offer at my first choice school, but some communication would be nice! And respectful!

Question: did I make this up, or are schools supposed to let all applicants know by April 1st whether or not they are accepted, rejected, or wait-listed? I interviewed at a school on Feb. 21st and still have yet to hear a peep from them. Granted, I already accepted an offer at my first choice school, but some communication would be nice! And respectful!

If you've already accepted an offer elsewhere, it would be courteous to proactively send emails to any programs where you have an outstanding application (whether it be in the form of an acceptance offer, waitlist, or uncertainty) and ask that you be removed from further consideration.

If you already know where you are going, why are you concerned with another interview you won't be going to anyways?

Speaking of odds: I applied to 10 schools - got 4 interviews, 6 rejections (some I never heard back from but have assumed they are). Of the 4 interviews, 2 waitlists (1 turned into an acceptance offer, the other I took myself off of) and 1 has not responded yet (even to an email), and the 4th I am waiting desperately to hear back from before accepting the first offer.

I think the April 1 deadline is just for a school's first round of acceptances. Then students have until April 15 to respond with a decision. It's definitely not for rejections -- when I applied last year, I think I got my last rejection letter in June or July. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I thought it was April 15. And, yes, you should withdraw if you've already accepted another offer.

I think the April 1 deadline is just for a school's first round of acceptances. It's definitely not for rejections -- when I applied last year, I think I got my last rejection letter in June or July. :rolleyes:

If you don't hear by April 1st, should you assume a rejection?

If you don't hear by April 1st, should you assume a rejection?

It depends on your situation: if you interviewed at the school and just haven't heard anything, you might be on the school's waitlist and that gives you a shot if people turn down offers. But if you weren't invited to interview, then the chances are pretty slim for that school.

I've heard of a few isolated stories where someone was accepted out of the blue (no interview), but I think it's a really rare thing and mostly when a school gets "stuck" with a hole in their cohort after April 15. And yet that didn't stop me from hoping and praying last year that I'd be that rare exception (2nd-timer here). :p

Don't give up hope just yet. A lot of people according to last year didn't make their final decision until the last week possible and others not until April 15. I know it's hard to stay posit but until you get the final rejection you're still in it.

5 clinical PhD applications – 2 interviews – 3 waitlists

Waitlist 1
Interview and absolutely loved everything about it – I wasn’t expecting to like it so much. Prof emailed me and said he is still waiting to hear about additional funding for another slot…

I emailed recently because of the deadline and the passing of several weeks and asked if there were any updates on the funding AND also if my status was dependent on funding alone or whether it was also dependent on someone responding to an acceptance.

No answer for over a week now…not a good sign to me (prof either forgot about me or is ignoring me?).

Question If I get rejected is it appropriate to ask if I can attend the first year without funding and get funding the second year? I really like the program…

Waitlist 2
Interviewed and did not like the program, city, school, funding, or students…Waitlisted with a “probable acceptance”

Question If I get accepted, is it crazy to turn down an elusive PhD acceptance with the only other option being staying at my research job and trying again? I really didn’t like the program…

Waitlist 3
Applied to a really top notch school in my area of research, really well-know. Was not surprised when I didn’t hear anything at all and figured I was rejected. Got a random letter in the mail saying they were really impressed with my application and even though they already conducted interviews they might contact me for a phone interview within the next week as a high alternate.

Question What the….? Haha! But also, if I get accepted (slim), is it crazy to go somewhere when you haven’t had the chance to interview THEM? I think what if I accepted into waitlist #2 school blind…I would be miserable! Because it was not until I interviewed that I realized it wasn’t the school for me.

Thanks for your time all, and good luck!

I have a question. I'm the first alternate at my top choice school which I'm absolutely in love with and would do anything to be part of the incoming class. I was wondering if the person holding the offer doesn't decline can I ask my POI to accept me without funding? Is this appropriate?

5 clinical PhD applications – 2 interviews – 3 waitlists

Waitlist 2
Interviewed and did not like the program, city, school, funding, or students…Waitlisted with a “probable acceptance”

Question If I get accepted, is it crazy to turn down an elusive PhD acceptance with the only other option being staying at my research job and trying again? I really didn’t like the program…

Would you mind PMing me the name of that school. I think it is highly likely that I interviewed at that same institution (because I had the same stellar reviews) and I may have some info that would make that decision a little less difficult.

Pscyedtri girl I feel the same exact way!!! I'm trying not to lose hope but I'm not getting any sleep and the days just seem to drag on and on. On a brighter note I'm shopping to decrease my stress! :)

My stress has skyrocketed too... definitely know how you feel. It sucks to have waited THIS long and been so patient all along, and now have to wait some more. I've been both shopping & eating too help the stress :(

Trying to decide whether I should email the school whether they sent out invites yet - it was supposed to happen last week but nothing yet (very late school).

Brochacho - how do you know that is the school you interviewed at? It could be a bunch of places, I interviewed somewhere too and completely hated it, so Knights -I'd advise you to carefully decide, if it meant going nowhere and trying again and that works for you to make you happy, do that. I declined my waitlist spot on the place I didn't like.

Good luck everyone!! :luck::xf:

I emailed and was told that I was on the alternate list for PhD in clinical psychology at Southern Illinois at Carbondale. Excited! :luck:

If anyone who is not interested in going could turn down their offer earlier, I would really appreciate it! (A few Master's programs are waiting for me to respond):xf:

I've been in constant communication with my POI and she has said that the person hasn't accepted the offer yet. However, I just went on gradcafe and they posted that she just received an acceptance via postal mail? My POI said she was doing everything via phone or e-mail. I'm confused. Also, I thought all offers were supposed to be made by the April 1? I know my POI made offers on March 21. I don't think postal mail takes that long......I'm starting to freak out but maybe this girl is lying?

Last edited:
:)

Last edited: