2011 Waitlist Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Brochacho - how do you know that is the school you interviewed at? It could be a bunch of places, I interviewed somewhere too and completely hated it, so Knights -I'd advise you to carefully decide

I don't, and never said I did. I just thought it was "likely" it was the same program based upon the review. I would definetly agree that all offers should be considered heavily and carefully reviewed. The carefully reviewed portion was what I willing to discuss in a PM with OP.

I'm officially out of the waiting game- 2 interviews, 2 waitlists afterwords, just found out last night that both schools had 100% of their initial offers accepted. Neither of my schools went to the waitlist! Don't give up hope yet if you are waitlisted somewhere- but this was a HARD year to apply!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm officially out of the waiting game- 2 interviews, 2 waitlists afterwords, just found out last night that both schools had 100% of their initial offers accepted. Neither of my schools went to the waitlist! Don't give up hope yet if you are waitlisted somewhere- but this was a HARD year to apply!!

ugh!!! so sorry!!!!! :( :scared::(my thoughts go out to you... i am still trying to hold on hope over here, but it is tough. i am trying to deal with the impending reality of what may come. do you have a "plan B" yet? :thumbdown:

Losing sleep, still on the LaSalle Wait List. Has anyone on the wait list heard from LaSalle yet?

I emailed my poi this afternoon and she responded with a weird email. The email said she told the person who is holding the offer that she has a deadline sooner than April 15. I'm concerned that the person holding the offer will say yes because she wasn't given until April 15 to see if any other offers come through. I'm really concerned and need some advice or words of encouragement.

I emailed my poi this afternoon and she responded with a weird email. The email said she told the person who is holding the offer that she has a deadline sooner than April 15. I'm concerned that the person holding the offer will say yes because she wasn't given until April 15 to see if any other offers come through. I'm really concerned and need some advice or words of encouragement.

Your POI can't do this. There are official guidelines that all programs must follow, and one of those guidelines is that nobody can be pressured to making a decision before April 15. Certainly they can badger you and check up on you, but you have the right to hold onto offers until April 15.

I just released my offer from Hofstra University, including a nice scholarship offer, which will go to another recipient. Hope this makes someone's week a little better :D

Your POI can't do this. There are official guidelines that all programs must follow, and one of those guidelines is that nobody can be pressured to making a decision before April 15. Certainly they can badger you and check up on you, but you have the right to hold onto offers until April 15.

I know but it's not really my place to say anything. If the girl with the offer has a problem she needs to say something.

Here is what I'm wondering lately... Say someone has an offer for one of the schools im on the waitlist for, but they're waitlisted at their top choice. What if April 15 rolls around and they still haven't heard back from their top choice bc that school may also be waiting to hear from someone else... What if they have to take the offer they have, but then after April 15 they find out that they did get into the other school after all- Can they then rescind their offer, thus releasing it to someone else (like me)? Or are they stuck w/ their decision? It just seems ridiculous that there's going to be this huge snowball effect at the deadline... My very fate hanging in the balance!!

Members don't see this ad :)
They are asking all the wait listed applicants who would still be interested. They are deciding in the next few days which to offer admission to.

They are asking all the wait listed applicants who would still be interested. They are deciding in the next few days which to offer admission to.

Oh wow. Sounds like something may have opened up. Is that a common procedure??

Good luck!!! :xf:

I released a spot at Illinois Institute of Technology today, hope this helps someone out!

Received an offer letter in the mail with instructions on how to gain access into the systems and register for courses. I logged in and sent out some emails using my new school email address. Come to find out, I was accepted by accident. So not only did I experience the blues, I had to expereince a false acceptance. April fools to me!

Last edited:
Received an offer letter in the mail with instructions on how to gain access into the systems and register for courses. I logged in and sent out some emails using my new school email address. Come to find out, I was accepted by accident. So not only did I experience the blues, I had to expereince a false acceptance. April fools to me!

Wow, that's just horrible. So the system didn't have any safeguards in place to stop you from creating an account and registering for classes? That's equally horrible.

I didn't attempt registering for courses, but I did use the email system! It was an admin error. The prof was very kind to call to apologize. I would still accept an offer even after this.

I didn't attempt registering for courses, but I did use the email system! It was an admin error. The prof was very kind to call to apologize. I would still accept an offer even after this.

At least the professor did call, yes, as I would say the situation definitely warranted more than an emailed apology. Hopefully things will work out regardless; best of luck.

A few weeks ago I received a written offer of acceptance in the mail from a school that I applied to but did not interview at this cycle. I was confused to say the least and assumed they must be digging deep into the alternate list!

I decided I would set up a trip to the school to meet the POI and see the area, but would first wait until I could call on Monday (I received the offer on a Friday) to make sure that the offer was funded etc.

About 60-90 minutes into the aforementioned confusion and deliberation I received a phone call from the POI who informed me (apologizing profusely) I had received the offer by mistake and that I had not been admitted to the school. The POI was worried b/c the offer was an actual offer and had I accepted they would have made good on it. I'm guessing they would have made life hard for me however. Odd experience. :eek:

I just released a spot at St John's and took myself of the Hofstra wait list. Hope that helps someone.

A few weeks ago I received a written offer of acceptance in the mail from a school that I applied to but did not interview at this cycle. I was confused to say the least and assumed they must be digging deep into the alternate list!

I decided I would set up a trip to the school to meet the POI and see the area, but would first wait until I could call on Monday (I received the offer on a Friday) to make sure that the offer was funded etc.

About 60-90 minutes into the aforementioned confusion and deliberation I received a phone call from the POI who informed me (apologizing profusely) I had received the offer by mistake and that I had not been admitted to the school. The POI was worried b/c the offer was an actual offer and had I accepted they would have made good on it. I'm guessing they would have made life hard for me however. Odd experience. :eek:

OHMYGOODNESS! I can't believe they could have made such a big mistake. I guess they are glad you called before you accepted the offer.

These snafu stories are horrible!! I'm way too emotionally frail (as a result of this process) to handle something like that!

These snafu stories are horrible!! I'm way too emotionally frail (as a result of this process) to handle something like that!

SNAFU stands for "Situation Normal: All F***ed Up." I prefer, FUBAR (F***ed Up Beyond All Recognition) to describe that guys unfortunate admissions experience. :D

True enough... I am also braindead as a result of this process! :p

It happens the other way, too. I was notified I'd been waitlisted by one of my schools only to receive a very apologetic call the next day saying a mistake had been made. I was expecting to hear that I'd been rejected, but it was an acceptance.

I just wanted you to know I didn't get in off the waiting list even though I was top alternate. Good luck everyone!

So sorry!!! :( do you not have any other schools that you're waiting on?

I let LaSalle know yesterday that they were my first choice. I am on the wait list, and have not heard anything further.

I just wanted you to know I didn't get in off the waiting list even though I was top alternate. Good luck everyone!

I am very sorry to hear that. That must be hard.
I am very worried too.

I think I'm still in shock. I have an offer but I don't know if I want to accept it or not. I guess I have a few more days to make up my mind.

well on the bright side, at least you have another option!!

Is it safe to assume that those who are holding the offers that we are waiting for are usually waiting for another offers? So if they don't get off the wait list by April 15 that means we don't get off wait list too? This really worries me.

Is it safe to assume that those who are holding the offers that we are waiting for are usually waiting for another offers? So if they don't get off the wait list by April 15 that means we don't get off wait list too? This really worries me.
This is what really worries me too!! I am currently on the waitlist at 3 schools w/ no acceptance offers... My profs keep telling me that it would be extremely unlikely for me not to get in off of one of those lists, and that everything always tends to snowball at the very end, but it's so hard to keep the faith!!! I'm thinking that it is likely that we may actually hear AFTER the 15th even if we do get in... That's what one of the faculty at one of my waitlist schools seemed to be alluding to... :/

Just called a school for the 2nd time after hearing from the GA that everyone was supposed to get emails last week and I didn't receive one. Well... the receptionist told me I am better off taking my other offer, while she couldn't confirm anything, said she had heard phone call offers went out last week. Who to believe, the GA or receptionist? What about a waitlist for the program, how do I know all the offers accepted? Do I keep waiting for an "official" letter or email of some sort. Do I accept my only offer and while a great program, is in a horrible location? :(

braindead... fragile....? good descriptors of how I feel too. My patience ran out a month ago.

Just called a school for the 2nd time after hearing from the GA that everyone was supposed to get emails last week and I didn't receive one. Well... the receptionist told me I am better off taking my other offer, while she couldn't confirm anything, said she had heard phone call offers went out last week. Who to believe, the GA or receptionist? What about a waitlist for the program, how do I know all the offers accepted? Do I keep waiting for an "official" letter or email of some sort. Do I accept my only offer and while a great program, is in a horrible location? :(

braindead... fragile....? good descriptors of how I feel too. My patience ran out a month ago.

Why don't you ask your POI directly? I think they have the most updated information.

Why don't you ask your POI directly? I think they have the most updated information.

I don't really have a POI there, they assign one to us - however, the director that is one of the faculty I spoke to while there, is out of the office until later and I just received an email that the GA will get back to me.... tomorrow. UGH

i was accepted off their waitlist today!

congratulations.
I'm assuming that people are ranked on the wait list, and are accepted as spots open.

still on wait list, though I read someone got in off waitlist today. Assume people are ranked and will be offered spots as they open based on ranking.

So I've pretty much already given up hope... But I figure it can't hurt to give one more shout out to those with offers from Suffolk who may be considering turning them down. Still waiting here with not much information as to whether my POIs' offers have been accepted. I welcome any info anyone may have; please PM me. Thanks!

Just FYI: I merged the two LaSalle-specific waitlist threads we had going with this one.

All:

In a general effort to reduce forum "clutter," please refrain from making duplicate threads--be sure to use SDN's search feature before starting a thread, especially a school/program-specific one. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
I was told this morning I was off the waitlist for my top school. Seems I've got to go get myself a job now.:scared:

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!!

Just got accepted off the waitlist for my first choice (SUNY Albany Counseling) and declined an offer to University of Montana's Clinical program. Hope this helps someone!

Well, I was first alternate on three waitlists and high on one other...just found out today from the last two that the person had accepted the offer. Not sure what to do now. Is it worth it to apply again? Think the chances could be any better next year?

Sorry to hear that. Out of curiosity, can you share how you found out?
I heard nothing from the one I am waiting for but I am afraid I can be waiting for nothing.:scared:

I wish you good luck on the other two. The odds are still better than mine.

Thanks. I actually have heard from all the schools (all four) and the person has accepted the offer. So, no worries, your chances are still better than mine :) I found out about the ones today because both professors emailed to tell me the offer had been accepted. I have a few job possibilities, so maybe I had to spend some time in the real world before it was time to go back into academia. Who knows...

Good luck to you though, I hope it works out!

You are very strong. I can't imagine how disappointing this is. It at least shows that you have great potential and I think you will have much better chance next time you apply considering how close you have been this year!

I think it's really cruel. I am fantasizing that my POI would make another offer for me even if the person has accepted it. It's almost time to face reality.:xf:

slow day... only 2 more days!!!!! i can't take a bad outcome. i don't know how i am going to handle it. at the same time, a positive outcome after all this waiting would be so shocking i might fall off my seat! this is nuts.