2012-2013 Hofstra University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh really? That makes me feel a lot better! Damn, I wish I remembered exactly what she told me!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
still nothing guys?
Accepted today!!! Interviewed Jan. 28th, so two weeks and two days ago!

3.4cGPA, 3.3sGPA, 32R MCAT, a lot of ECAs and Volunteer work, and I'm currently doing an off year!

Found out at 9:45am via email.

Good luck to you guys out there!!!

The suspense from Hofstra is making me bonkers. I feel like they must have filled their class already. Arrgh!

They may have filled their class but I'm sure many of the people they accept will drop their spot. There is a lot of movement on the WL so don't lose hope!

3.4cGPA, 3.3sGPA, 32R MCAT, a lot of ECAs and Volunteer work, and I'm currently doing an off year!

Congrats! You have very similar stats to me. Hopefully I will find out next week!!

Congrats! Looks like I am waitlisted/rejected!

Well poo...I interviewed a few days before that and nothing :( y u no love me hofstra?

Well poo...I interviewed a few days before that and nothing :( y u no love me hofstra?

They did say that they would be sending out a bunch in March and to actually look for everything come March. I guess I was just a lucky one. I called in today, and when I spoke with the receptionist she knew my name because of where I worked (phone number came up on caller ID) and seemed to hint that there was only one or two acceptances given out from my interview day. You may not have heard back yet because your interviewer(s) may not have been attended the admissions meeting. If that's the case they can't really talk you up. I am sure that you'll be fine and get in.

Longtime lurker here, accepted back in December. Is there a class of 2017 facebook group yet?

I initially had some of the same concerns you mentioned with regards to a proven boards record, but that's a component that's overemphasized by pre-meds in general (probably because the MCAT is still fresh in our minds). If you ask medical students and beyond, time and time again they will say Step I scores are a result of individual effort, not the school. All schools teach the same things--they just teach them in slightly different ways. If you're really worried about Hofstra's unproven curriculum, it's pretty much the same as Cast Western's curriculum--and their students do just fine on Step I.

Personally, I think the fact that they focus on clinical training rather than "teaching you to pass an exam" is a strength because it speaks to their mission. They want to train well-rounded, compassionate doctors, because 10 years down the line when you're in the field, it's not your board scores that make you a great doctor. It's like the doctors, educators, and community leaders sat around one day, and went: What qualities make the best doctors you know? Why do these doctors have these qualities? How can we best foster these qualities in training? And then they got together and created a new medical school and designed a curriculum around their findings (another point of comparison: that's how the Cleveland Clinic started). On the flip side of when you asked what's the point of great clinical training if you can't pass the boards: Even if you have the highest Step I score and match into neurosurgery, what's the point of all that knowledge if you can't connect to patients, establish a trusting relationship, and convince them to do the surgery in practice?

tl;dr There are certainly some concerns when it comes to a new medical school, but I don't think failing your boards should be one of them. However, if you know that you won't succeed in Hofstra's teaching environment, well then maybe it isn't the school for you whether you have other acceptances or not.

I'm an MS2 at Hofstra. This response gets my stamp of approval. I'll just reiterate/add a few points:

1. There are schools that teach 2 years of Step 1 and 2 years of medicine, and there are schools that teach 4 years of medicine. We would fall into the latter category. Other schools are following suit (e.g. my undergrad alma mater, Vanderbilt) and a few even beat us to it, although I think the clinical aspects of the first two years here are unparalleled.

2. We get Step 1 practice questions that are written by the USMLE every ~4 weeks, which is pretty unique among medical schools, so the notion that our school is somehow a less-adequate curriculum for Step 1 preparation just because it's not the main focus is pretty far off the mark.

3. As many people have alluded, Step 1 is an individual exam. Going to a school where the curriculum "teaches the boards" for 2 years doesn't mean you get to study less for them on your own. No matter where you go most of your useful preparation for the exam will be self study (either structured a la Kaplan or unstructured via USMLE World, or a combination of the 2 like I am currently doing).

4. I'm sure some of the really fancy medical schools like Wash U and UCSF and Harvard have higher average USMLE Step 1 scores than other US medical schools, but their average MCAT scores are also considerably higher. That's not mere coincidence.

You need to pick the medical school that's right for you. Some people are very concerned with official rankings. Some people just want to keep their heads down for 2 years, get their 255's so they can become neurosurgeons, and worry about those things called patients once they get past the Step 1 hurdle. Others want to dive headfirst into medicine right away, get their hands dirty; I have told countless applicants a story about the first patient I had on day 4 of medical school who was screaming in my face on a random street corner somewhere in Queens. Some interviewees look like they've just seen a big juicy steak; some look completely terrified. And that's fine. The point is: people are looking for different things in a medical school, and just because one school is "proven" or ranked higher, it is not necessarily better.

If you act superior to a resident/attending during MS3/MS4 rotations because he is a DO and you are training to be an MD, and thus your program is 500x more selective than his, you will get your ass handed to you, and rightfully so.

They may have filled their class but I'm sure many of the people they accept will drop their spot. There is a lot of movement on the WL so don't lose hope!

The class is definitely not full, seeing as there are still a few more interview days scheduled...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have told countless applicants a story about the first patient I had on day 4 of medical school who was screaming in my face on a random street corner somewhere in Queens. Some interviewees look like they've just seen a big juicy steak; some look completely terrified. And that's fine. The point is: people are looking for different things in a medical school, and just because one school is "proven" or ranked higher, it is not necessarily better.

Haha I remember you telling us that during lunch at my interview last Monday. Sounds fun to me.

I am so nervous! I hope they send a few acceptances soon from the 2/1 interview date. Anyone else hear from near this date?

Unfortunately I withdrew and canceled my interview. This program seemed great, and it seems like a program that will be really well known one day soon. SBU was my 1st choice on long island though, and I recently was accepted. I just couldn't justify the expense of coming back again, but hopefully my spot goes to one of you!

so is there an exact date that they send out the waitlist/rejection decisions for everyone who hasn't heard yet? Or did they just say it would be in March?

thanks

so is there an exact date that they send out the waitlist/rejection decisions for everyone who hasn't heard yet? Or did they just say it would be in March?

thanks

I don't think they specified a date. When I interviewed they said waitlist/rejection would come out some time in March.

(Want to get in... <_<)

Man I interviewed in November and I'm curious if I got rejected or wait-listed

I'm curious about location, not the what is long island like kind, but the I heard some people commute from manhattan...I live in queens and I'm frankly just tired of being 2 hours away from my friends. Do people commute regularly? Is it doable? Also, my bf is moving from cali to nyc this year and he's probably going to end up teaching not in LI or Queens. That's mostly why the commute matters so much to me. If it helps, my other option is Einstein.

Hofstra's curriculum is really what I want, but I don't know if it's enough.

i wouldn't let your bf's location limit your education in any way. You are going to be a student first and foremost - I would pick wherever you feel you will learn to be the best possible physician, and only that.

wow... people have different priorities. don't try to impose yours. many people think family/friends/life is more important than their career, even if the career is also a good thing (like being a doctor).

I would have said the same thing a few years ago, but at some point in your life you have to start making decisions based on other factors and not just purely what's going to be "best" for you. If we all made decisions to be the absolute best doctor we could be then none of us would have families and children.

I was asking about location because I already know that this is a decision I have to make and I'd like some more info to make an educated choice. Einstein is also a great school so it's really a win-win in terms of education, but potentially a big loss in terms people I really care about if I choose Hofstra.

I know you said probably not LI or Queens... but any idea where? If it's Brooklyn, Hofstra is still probably easier to get there from. If it's the Bronx, Einstein will be closer. Both schools are pretty close together. You could drive between them in about an hour (which if you go to Hofstra, you absolutely should have a car). If you go to Einstein, you'll have easier access to public transportation, but again, if he is going to be in Brooklyn, you're talking about a long commute. Any chance he will know where he is teaching soon?

I'm curious about location, not the what is long island like kind, but the I heard some people commute from manhattan...I live in queens and I'm frankly just tired of being 2 hours away from my friends. Do people commute regularly? Is it doable? Also, my bf is moving from cali to nyc this year and he's probably going to end up teaching not in LI or Queens. That's mostly why the commute matters so much to me. If it helps, my other option is Einstein.

Hofstra's curriculum is really what I want, but I don't know if it's enough.

I know you said probably not LI or Queens... but any idea where? If it's Brooklyn, Hofstra is still probably easier to get there from. If it's the Bronx, Einstein will be closer. Both schools are pretty close together. You could drive between them in about an hour (which if you go to Hofstra, you absolutely should have a car). If you go to Einstein, you'll have easier access to public transportation, but again, if he is going to be in Brooklyn, you're talking about a long commute. Any chance he will know where he is teaching soon?

Probably not anywhere in the 5 boroughs. There are still a few hundred teachers who lost their teaching positions, but due to union obligations could not be excessed, so they're just already hired and literally just waiting to fill gaps when current teacher retire. The city just started hiring "external" teachers again, but only for a few specific disciplines, and there are very few positions available. All of this information can be found here: http://schools.nyc.gov/TeachNYC/default.htm

As for Long Island, the situation is arguably worse. The application process to every district on the island save one or two is handled by the same online service. Each job opening (including teaching assistants) has >3000 applicants because all you need to do is click a button to send your application in.

How do I know all of this? My girlfriend graduated with her Master's 3 or 4 years ago. She was in a special 5 year Master's program with all sorts of extra student teaching and honors stuff and she has 4 certifications (literacy, childhood, early childhood, and English). When I was applying to medical school and complaining about the ~1% acceptance rate to many of the schools, she found it pretty funny. She applied for a job once that had over 5000 applicants for one position.

tl;dr IF he gets a job it will likely be in Westchester, or maybe Jersey, although the situation in Jersey is not much better. Unless he is doing Teach for America or one of those non-education-degree programs that place you somewhere, in which case you can ignore everything I just said :D

Yepp, he's doing NYC teaching fellows. So I assume there will be some assistance with placement. I forgot about needing a car at Hofstra. I'm going to have to learn to drive...and buy a car.

I know a lot about NYC teaching fellows and Teach for America (the rest of my family teaches, including my wife). As stated above it is nearly impossible to get a non science or math ed job in Westchester, LI, CT etc. NY fellows, unlike Teach for America does not place you they give you access to the job listings and you have to start applying, usually I high need school in a bad neighborhood will reach out. If you teach physics you have the best shot of getting a nicer school. Job availability is largely dependent on specialty, physics, math, special ed have good job prospects, anything in humanities, physical science, and bio not so good. In NYC, there is always certain schools hiring (e.g. University Heights is like a revolving door for teachers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

He is supposed to be doing math and he wants to do special ed. If you have any other advice or insight into how the process works that would be great because they haven't told him anything and his apprenticeship is supposed to start in two weeks.

He is supposed to be doing math and he wants to do special ed. If you have any other advice or insight into how the process works that would be great because they haven't told him anything and his apprenticeship is supposed to start in two weeks.

I'll PM you. My brother is a teach for America fellow (math also) he also applied for NY Fellows but opted for his teach for America position. He'll do well with Math/special ed, he might be able to place into a safer neighborhood. Westchester and LI are great places to teach after his time in the fellowship but the jobs are hard to come by, he has a better shot as a Math teacher though.

Also he should get loan forgiveness for teaching math in NY.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

Did anyone who interviewed more recently get any indication of when in March they would be letting applicants know about rejection/waitlist?

I got the impression from last year's thread that it would be around the second week, but it seems that a lot of the time line changes year to year. Any insight would be super helpful!

cumGPA=3.7 sciGPA=3.6 MCAT=32R (10PS, 12VR, 10BS)

This week we might here back about waitlists/rejection no?

Hey guys,

Im consider applying here for the 2013-2014 cycle. I know its a new school, but can anyone offer up honestly what the area is like. ive heard is a bit dull and impoverishment. NOT to put down the city or the school. Ive just heard by others its not the best area to live. Im from the west coast, if anyone can provide insight about what the community, campus environment is like it would be much appreciated! thanks!

Via facebook they said that waitlist decisions will be released over the next 2 weeks. Is that mean it won't happen all at once like it has before?

Via facebook they said that waitlist decisions will be released over the next 2 weeks. Is that mean it won't happen all at once like it has before?

they said their last adcom meeting was this morning, so I would assume all decisions have been made? unless of course a dean makes final decisions on a certain pile of apps

Status
Not open for further replies.