2012-2013 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yea. i called and they said a letter was sent. not sure what that means... do they mail rejections?

so did you interview Feb 13?

Members don't see this ad.

For those accepted, did u receive the email implying acceptance yet?
Nope, not yet. I think the letter said the Technical Requirements and Campus Preference email would come "in a week." When that is I don't know. Probably tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, not yet. I think the letter said the Technical Requirements and Campus Preference email would come "in a week." When that is I don't know. Probably tomorrow.

I got that email just now, but I haven't received any letter indicating acceptance or rejection. I'm so confused :laugh:

I interviewed on Feb 13, btw.

I received my acceptance letter yesterday in the mail. OOS midwest...:). I started receiving the emails this morning.

I got that email just now, but I haven't received any letter indicating acceptance or rejection. I'm so confused :laugh:

I interviewed on Feb 13, btw.

I interviewed Feb 12th.. Looks like its gonna be good news if you already received the emails.

Received the emails this morning and got the letter in the mail this afternoon. OOS applicant

Oh gosh ok I interviewed Feb 13 and I havent received anything yet..Does anyone know when/if they are meeting again and when more letters would be sent out?

Oh gosh ok I interviewed Feb 13 and I havent received anything yet..Does anyone know when/if they are meeting again and when more letters would be sent out?

They meet on the 15th of every month.

Does anyone know when they start giving out financial aid awards?

Does anyone know when they start giving out financial aid awards?

According to an email sent out by Jose:

"Recruitment scholarships are awarded on a rolling basis typically beginning in December 2012 and ending on April 2013... Everyone is considered for general scholarships as long as we have a completed FAFSA and the IUSM Application for Financial Assistance... If your FAFSA information is received by April 15, we will attempt to have a preliminary financial aid notification available to you around late April. Financial aid notifications are not available before April."

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone here (whether pre-med and knowledgeable on the campuses or MS1/MS2) can help me understand the big differences between campuses. I have already done some research on the various websites, but I just can't seem to find a thread or web page that has a nice summarized commentary from past students that reflects on what they liked about the campus and what they didn't like.

I have interviewed at Gary this year, Indianapolis last year, and visited Fort Wayne just last weekend, and since the lottery system this year is either Indy or regional campus I am thinking of selecting the regional campuses because I want control over which regional campus for sure.

I have seen about how only 2 campuses I believe use PBL maximally (Gary and...Muncie?) and how Bloomington teaches its courses over 1 year as opposed to a few of the campuses having block scheduling. But has anyone heard about the USMLE Step 1 scores each campus generates for example?

My friend told me Fort Wayne and West Lafayette have generated the highest Step 1 scores recently but I don't know if he can corroborate that with a credible source, unless professors have knowledge of these stats and would of course let their classes be aware so they could sell the campus to incoming students.

Before I get blasted- obviously I'm not talking about "Indianapolis is so much fun" etc. etc. (although obviously as a modern human being it would be nice to not live in a complete ghost town :laugh:)

Sorry for the long rant, just to clarify I'm wondering if you guys can help me with things like:
1) USMLE scores
2) Library resources/facilities
3) Student-professor ratio/relationship
4) How well each campus prepares students for rotation (...should I be posting this in the Medical forums?)

Thanks everyone!

I just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to all of you who are still waiting to hear! Also, please lose to Marquette in the Elite 8 to help my bracket.

I just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to all of you who are still waiting to hear! Also, please lose to Marquette in the Elite 8 to help my bracket.

Get out of here with that nonsense. As someone who hasn't filled out a bracket but did attend IU Bloomington, this is the year of Zellerdipo!

When I interviewed at Gary they said they had the highest Step 1 scores

Sent from my MB855 using SDN Mobile

does anyone know when they send the rejection emails during the month?

I don't think they have released any post interview rejection in my impression

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone here (whether pre-med and knowledgeable on the campuses or MS1/MS2) can help me understand the big differences between campuses. I have already done some research on the various websites, but I just can't seem to find a thread or web page that has a nice summarized commentary from past students that reflects on what they liked about the campus and what they didn't like.

I have interviewed at Gary this year, Indianapolis last year, and visited Fort Wayne just last weekend, and since the lottery system this year is either Indy or regional campus I am thinking of selecting the regional campuses because I want control over which regional campus for sure.

I have seen about how only 2 campuses I believe use PBL maximally (Gary and...Muncie?) and how Bloomington teaches its courses over 1 year as opposed to a few of the campuses having block scheduling. But has anyone heard about the USMLE Step 1 scores each campus generates for example?

My friend told me Fort Wayne and West Lafayette have generated the highest Step 1 scores recently but I don't know if he can corroborate that with a credible source, unless professors have knowledge of these stats and would of course let their classes be aware so they could sell the campus to incoming students.

Before I get blasted- obviously I'm not talking about "Indianapolis is so much fun" etc. etc. (although obviously as a modern human being it would be nice to not live in a complete ghost town :laugh:)

Sorry for the long rant, just to clarify I'm wondering if you guys can help me with things like:
1) USMLE scores
2) Library resources/facilities
3) Student-professor ratio/relationship
4) How well each campus prepares students for rotation (...should I be posting this in the Medical forums?)

Thanks everyone!

When I interviewed (at Indy), the interviewer told me that USMLE scores are pretty much the same across the board at all campuses.

For more info, I'd check out msa.medicine.iu.edu/campus-specific which has a link to a PDF which has curriculum differences as well as some student perspective. There are also a lot of subpages with more info on each campus. Worth checking out, though I'm not sure it has everything you are looking for.

Last edited:
How do I check my status after my acceptance. I got accepted in November and have not been able to check my status since then. I get this message whenever I log in;

To be able to see your status please complete the following step(s).
Graduate School Applications & Fees
Submit the online graduate application and $50 fee payable via credit card. Medical school applicants (including MD/PhD applicants) must select medical degree as the program type. IUSM does not honor the AMCAS fee waiver. If you experience difficulties with the online application process, please contact the Graduate Office at 317-278-2071. Please note that it may take up to 48 hours for the application to be processed.
Establish IU Network Credentials

Visit IU Account Management System to establish your IU computing accounts. Please note that it may take up to 48 hours for IU accounts to be created.

I filled out the graduate application and paid the $50 already when I was filling out my secondary. Do I have to do this again before I can see my status. This happened right after I got accepted.

When I interviewed at Gary they said they had the highest Step 1 scores

Sent from my MB855 using SDN Mobile

I think you're right. Financial director Jose Espada told me the same.

I ended up picking Indy though. I spoke with a couple of rather candid 4th years, one in Bloomington and one in Indy, and they both told me Indy is worth the risk for many reasons. I also visited Ft. Wayne and Gary and their facilities are very bare.

When I interviewed (at Indy), the interviewer told me that USMLE scores are pretty much the same across the board at all campuses.

For more info, I'd check out msa.indiana.iu.edu/campus-specific which has a link to a PDF which has curriculum differences as well as some student perspective. There are also a lot of subpages with more info on each campus. Worth checking out, though I'm not sure it has everything you are looking for.

Thanks for the advice. I did end up seeing that section and it definitely helped me get an idea of each campus's differences to a certain degree. But ultimately I am thankful I got a couple of very candid MS4 opinions.

Got my number one campus! Woot woot... will most likely (99%) be going to IU next year :)

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten a post- interview rejection letter yet? I suppose mine will be along shortly; this wait is really ridiculous just to be rejected.

Does anyone know when they'll announce the lottery results for the Indianapolis campus?

Does anyone know when they'll announce the lottery results for the Indianapolis campus?

I thought I remember hearing sometime in May, but I didn't do the lottery so I didn't bother really remembering the exact date, sorry.

I asked the admissions office this yesterday. I was told mid-May, which seems really late, and I mentioned that I had heard from last years students that they found out at the end of April to which she said it could be then, it just depends when the class is "full." There is no exact date. She said it could even be after the May 15 deadline. Anyway, I'm hoping to hear toward the end of the month.

Does anyone know about Center vs. Indy. I here Centers favor the students from their areas more as an incentive to have them stay in the area. There is alot of pressure to fill the slots at Centers so they target help to those students and ignore students who want to go to Indy 3rd and 4th years. So they see more of the reseach, resources and help from the teachers. Anyone hear this also?

Also I hear that all the opportunities are in Indy with regard to the Student Interest groups.

I also heard that centers like Fort Wayne direct resourse to students from their area to get them to stay 3rd and 4th year. Did you hear anything about that?

I also heard that centers like Fort Wayne direct resourse to students from their area to get them to stay 3rd and 4th year. Did you hear anything about that?

I visited my friend, an MS2 in Wayne and he never said anything about them gathering more resources. Only like one person from his class was staying in Wayne for 3rd year, and that seems to be the trend at every campus almost. When I interviewed at Gary, they said only 1 person currently was a 3rd year over there.

I ended up choosing Indy- the fact is if you want to get a leg up on competitive residencies Indianapolis is the choice I've been hearing. I talked to many people at regional campuses and many of them praise their campus, but then I finally got a very candid response from someone who did early decision and actually chose Bloomington and he was brutally against any campus except Indy. Overall I keep hearing the satellite campuses are ideal for prepping you in rural medicine/family practice, even though you are obviously far from pidgeon-holed into it regardless of where you are at.

One last tidbit: if you guys notice on our acceptance letters and elsewhere- they may require that some students complete some of their clerkships outside of Indy, which is an absolute turn off for me and the reason I'm gambling with Indy.

Hope this stuff helps- obviously opinions may vastly differ, but these are my impressions and I am crossing my fingers that my 65% chance of getting Indy falls right into my lap.

Question: If you decide to stay at the satellite campus for 3rd and 4th year, can you do some of your rotations at Indy or another school? Is that allowed? Thanks in advance.

Question, does the committee go over the files (and any new updates, etc) of everyone who hasn't been accepted each month? Or only a portion each month?

Question, does the committee go over the files (and any new updates, etc) of everyone who hasn't been accepted each month? Or only a portion each month?
From the interview day, I got that they interview their top candidates first and then move along the list. They said that if we did not hear from them that meant that we were passed along for the next review date and that if we didn't hear again for some time that just mean that we got passed along to the next date again. From this I assume that no they do not review all candidates again and again, they do it in order of competitiveness or something like that. However, I am not sure if at this point they have that many candidates left to review so I assume that they must get through all of them, but that is just speculation. Good luck!

OOS here and interviewed in November... I've pretty much given up hope on getting in to IU but it would be nice to at least hear something! Anyone know when we will either hear yay or nay for sure?

OOS here and interviewed in November... I've pretty much given up hope on getting in to IU but it would be nice to at least hear something! Anyone know when we will either hear yay or nay for sure?

At this point of the year, the class is most likely full. If it's anything like last year, they will send out wait list info early May. Rejection letters/emails should go out anywhere from now to June 1st. I know it sucks waiting, but keep your head up.

I selected the Indy Lottery , a student that went to my highschool went to fort wayne and said that the opportunities and campus is sparse.

1. really bad athletic and workout areas; hard to stay healthy

Last edited:
I selected the Indy Lottery , a student that went to my highschool went to fort wayne and said that the opportunities and campus is sparse.

1. really bad athletic and workout areas; hard to stay healthy
2. no place to study, the library is the same size as the bathroom
3. no on campus cafeteria, taco bell is the cafeteria; hard to stay healthy
4. 60 students and not alot of opportunities away from the classroom unless you consider ringing the bell for salvation army a "community service" learning opportunity.
5. very dictate program, no electives, go here, do this, do that
6. schedule "student learning time" is always taken up to accomodate doctors who miss teir lectures so it hard to schedule outside learning opportunities.

Likely true for a campus like Fort Wayne. Not so true for the West Lafayette, South Bend, and Bloomington campuses. I could be wrong, but I have a hard time believing the workout areas, libraries, cafeterias, number of students, and electives aren't vastly different at these big university locations.

Reminder to everyone that for the health form, you can get your 2nd step for the TB test anytime after May 1st. Good luck!

No luck- I applied for Indy and they stuck me in Evansville :rolleyes:

Oh well, it's not the end of the world and I'm still very thankful for getting in. Anyone else have any ideas or opinions they've heard about Evansville?

Does anyone know how the second chance lottery works? I actually like the regional campus I was assigned so I don't want to risk going for Indy again if it means I could get stuck in Evansville or Gary in the process. If we lose the second lottery do we still keep our original campus assignments?

Does anyone know how the second chance lottery works? I actually like the regional campus I was assigned so I don't want to risk going for Indy again if it means I could get stuck in Evansville or Gary in the process. If we lose the second lottery do we still keep our original campus assignments?

I just got put in Evansville...what things have you heard? I am strongly considering second chance lottery.

I just got put in Evansville...what things have you heard? I am strongly considering second chance lottery.

Evansville was just completely on the other side of the state from me so the distance was just annoying to me and I wasn't particularly interested in the whole rural medicine (although just because that's what the campus is good for doesn't mean that's what you're locked into)

Evansville was just completely on the other side of the state from me so the distance was just annoying to me and I wasn't particularly interested in the whole rural medicine (although just because that's what the campus is good for doesn't mean that's what you're locked into)

Oh okay thanks. I have heard it is very disorganized there so I am a bit concerned. I am hoping my chances of getting Indy through second chance isn't TOO bad.

Oh okay thanks. I have heard it is very disorganized there so I am a bit concerned. I am hoping my chances of getting Indy through second chance isn't TOO bad.

I haven't heard anything about that. It's still IUSM regardless.

I would really only change based on the curriculum. I didn't like that Gary does all PBL so that would have been a deal breaker for me.

You're not going to be doing much the first two years besides studying anyway.

Question: If you decide to stay at the satellite campus for 3rd and 4th year, can you do some of your rotations at Indy or another school? Is that allowed? Thanks in advance.

Yes, you're more than welcome to do some of your rotations in Indy. I know it's mandatory to do EM in Indy. They pay for housing so that's not an issue. I believe you can ask to do specific rotations outside of your satellite site if you deem it necessary (like you really want to do ENT sub-surgical specialty and they don't have it at your satellite campus). All in all - they're understanding about this sort of thing. They even allow you to do electives in other states. My plan at the moment is to stay in Indy for the mandatory rotations (IM/Surgery) but to use my vacation month to do research/projects outside of Indiana. I don't plan on staying here and really need to get time in New York to sell myself there. Also, I plan on doing research in Rad/Onc so I can have my foot in the door if I decide to pursue it. That and I can't be picky about that. Just like the flipside is true - if you're in Indy and have to do a rotation in Evansville they'll cover the cost.

Keep in mind - 50% of 3rd year students will have to do Family Medicine rotations outside of Indy, so it'd be good to keep that in mind and figure out which places you'd go to.

Every month they go over people who didn't get accepted and new applicants

Status
Not open for further replies.