2012-2013 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got put in Evansville...what things have you heard? I am strongly considering second chance lottery.

I'm in Evansville as a second year, so I can tell you a lot about it. Our class has been deemed the badguys by the admin for our complaints about this program here. It's not like it's HORRIBLE by any means, but there are some classes that need reform. Which they're going to do. The clinical medicine course has been a nightmare for us not because of our intelligence, but because of the exams themselves. We brought up to the coordinator of the class in Indy and they've changed the exams A LOT. So, you can thank us for that. :laugh: Otherwise - Pharm is awesome, Path is great. Neurology will kick your ass but prepare you VERY well for boards/second year. All in all - we do get the right education as evidenced by our shelf exam scores for the courses. The first years here are beyond friendly (and hot :laugh:) so you'll have no issues getting help from them.

Don't take being in Evansville as a terrible thing, because it's not that bad. Sure, you're far away from everything, but that's great because it helps you study/focus.

Evansville was just completely on the other side of the state from me so the distance was just annoying to me and I wasn't particularly interested in the whole rural medicine (although just because that's what the campus is good for doesn't mean that's what you're locked into)

Evansville by NO means = rural medicine. The school preps you well for boards (average scores of 230) and they do have an idea of how to educate you in dealing with patients so you're not ****ed in that regard. By the end of second year, you'll feel really comfortable talking to patients/doing exams.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in Evansville as a second year, so I can tell you a lot about it. Our class has been deemed the badguys by the admin for our complaints about this program here. It's not like it's HORRIBLE by any means, but there are some classes that need reform. Which they're going to do. The clinical medicine course has been a nightmare for us not because of our intelligence, but because of the exams themselves. We brought up to the coordinator of the class in Indy and they've changed the exams A LOT. So, you can thank us for that. :laugh: Otherwise - Pharm is awesome, Path is great. Neurology will kick your ass but prepare you VERY well for boards/second year. All in all - we do get the right education as evidenced by our shelf exam scores for the courses. The first years here are beyond friendly (and hot :laugh:) so you'll have no issues getting help from them.

Don't take being in Evansville as a terrible thing, because it's not that bad. Sure, you're far away from everything, but that's great because it helps you study/focus.

Evansville by NO means = rural medicine. The school preps you well for boards (average scores of 230) and they do have an idea of how to educate you in dealing with patients so you're not ****ed in that regard. By the end of second year, you'll feel really comfortable talking to patients/doing exams.

Thank you so much for that, it helps me out a bunch- especially the hot first years :laugh:

If you don't mind me asking, what are the other courses you feel like need reforming and what is it about that that's not connecting well with students? Do you like your professors, and is there plenty of study space and facilities on campus?

Thank you so much for that, it helps me out a bunch- especially the hot first years :laugh:

If you don't mind me asking, what are the other courses you feel like need reforming and what is it about that that's not connecting well with students? Do you like your professors, and is there plenty of study space and facilities on campus?

First semester - Anatomy. I hated it only because I didn't have anatomy beforehand. The written exams are brutal, so prepare for that if you're in Eville. But you work hard and it pays off.
Second semester - I had no issues. Micro/Immuno weren't bad. I fell into a pitfall because people told me I was too mean/sarcastic/not nice, so I tried being better. It affected my grades so I said **** it and went back to how I am. Physio - not bad. Neuro (like I said) is BRUTAL. But it prepares you well for second year.

Second Year -

Path - it's all mostly self learning. You use robbins/etc, you'll be fine. Pharm - great course. Professor is awesome and the exams are beyond fair. You really feel like you're learning a lot.

Clinical Medicine - I'm not a fan only because there's a lot of miscommunication and disorder/disorganization. Professors that don't care, professors that do a great job but their material isn't properly represented. Exams that are over 120 questions... that take forever. But things have changed - the coordinator looked at the exams and saw that they weren't following the core curriculum. They tried having mandatory attendance but they threw that out. And the course director is going to be gone for his HORRIBLE job. Thankfully the past director (Dr. Eubanks) helped. She is probably the best teacher/physician I've been taught by...but I don't think she'll be here next year. But our class have changed things for you guys, so you hopefully won't have the issues we had.

Genetics - easy...and a decent review of biochem genetics disorders for boards. Biostats - worthless.

I'd strongly recommend Step-Up for second year clinical medicine. It's what 3rd/4th years use for rotations but it helps A LOT for clinical medicine. Annotate what's missing.

Like I said - we were the bad guys, but a necessary evil. I'm glad we did these things because it needed to be done.

Members don't see this ad :)
First semester - Anatomy. I hated it only because I didn't have anatomy beforehand. The written exams are brutal, so prepare for that if you're in Eville. But you work hard and it pays off.
Second semester - I had no issues. Micro/Immuno weren't bad. I fell into a pitfall because people told me I was too mean/sarcastic/not nice, so I tried being better. It affected my grades so I said **** it and went back to how I am. Physio - not bad. Neuro (like I said) is BRUTAL. But it prepares you well for second year.

Second Year -

Path - it's all mostly self learning. You use robbins/etc, you'll be fine. Pharm - great course. Professor is awesome and the exams are beyond fair. You really feel like you're learning a lot.

Clinical Medicine - I'm not a fan only because there's a lot of miscommunication and disorder/disorganization. Professors that don't care, professors that do a great job but their material isn't properly represented. Exams that are over 120 questions... that take forever. But things have changed - the coordinator looked at the exams and saw that they weren't following the core curriculum. They tried having mandatory attendance but they threw that out. And the course director is going to be gone for his HORRIBLE job. Thankfully the past director (Dr. Eubanks) helped. She is probably the best teacher/physician I've been taught by...but I don't think she'll be here next year. But our class have changed things for you guys, so you hopefully won't have the issues we had.

Genetics - easy...and a decent review of biochem genetics disorders for boards. Biostats - worthless.

I'd strongly recommend Step-Up for second year clinical medicine. It's what 3rd/4th years use for rotations but it helps A LOT for clinical medicine. Annotate what's missing.

Like I said - we were the bad guys, but a necessary evil. I'm glad we did these things because it needed to be done.

Basically what I gathered is that nothing bad at all then except for Clin Med which you guys went into reform mode and cleaned up for us...the only words I have for that are thank you.

I'm now much more excited for Evansville.

Does anyone happen to know IUSM's average USMLE scores for recent classes (Step 1 in particular)? Its okay if its not campus specific (although that would be grand too).

Quick question about the second chance lottery.

Let's say that someone chose one of the reginal campuses when that person was accepted (say, Evansville, for example), and then decided to go into the second chance lottery for a chance to get the Indianapolis campus. If that person is not successful in being assigned to the Indy campus, would they still get Evansville, or would they be randomly assigned to one of the other regional campuses?

Thanks for the info. For anyone who might be wondering, the national averages on the USMLE Step 1 for the past few years were:

2012: 227 (StdDev 22)
2011: 224 (SD 22)
2010: 222 (SD 24)

Quick question about the second chance lottery.

Let's say that someone chose one of the reginal campuses when that person was accepted (say, Evansville, for example), and then decided to go into the second chance lottery for a chance to get the Indianapolis campus. If that person is not successful in being assigned to the Indy campus, would they still get Evansville, or would they be randomly assigned to one of the other regional campuses?

The e-mail with the attached form for 2nd chance lottery says "If you choose not to participate, then your campus assignment will in no way be affected by this process." Also the form we have to send in says "If you haven't heard anything by this point (June 7, 2013), you should plan to matriculate at the campus you were assigned to earlier in the year."

I selected the Indy Lottery , a student that went to my highschool went to fort wayne and said that the opportunities and campus is sparse.

1. really bad athletic and workout areas; hard to stay healthy

I haven't been on this thread much recently, but I noticed your post about Ft. Wayne. I'm not sure why you edited nearly everything out, unless you've already gotten corrected info. Anyway, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and I realize that everyone's opinions are heavily influenced by different factors so I'm not knocking your decision. I live in Fort Wayne and just want to correct a few things in case others are considering the campus.

Here's what the whole post said:

Originally Posted by DefMed
I selected the Indy Lottery , a student that went to my highschool went to fort wayne and said that the opportunities and campus is sparse.

1. really bad athletic and workout areas; hard to stay healthy
2. no place to study, the library is the same size as the bathroom
3. no on campus cafeteria, taco bell is the cafeteria; hard to stay healthy
4. 60 students and not alot of opportunities away from the classroom unless you consider ringing the bell for salvation army a "community service" learning opportunity.
5. very dictate program, no electives, go here, do this, do that
6. schedule "student learning time" is always taken up to accomodate doctors who miss teir lectures so it hard to schedule outside learning opportunities.

The workout area was completely re-done, so I'm not sure when your friend said it was horrible. I personally don't use it though, so I can't speak to that. It is directly next to the med building though, so it is convenient for those who are interested. You're correct that there is no cafeteria, but there are plenty of options for food. There are restaurants and coffee shops located in other campus buildings, and the on-campus Subway is much much closer to the med building than the off-campus Taco Bell or McDonalds. There are also restaurants and bars on the same block. Fort Wayne is also extremely economical as far as cost-of-living, which for me is a huge factor. You need a car here, but everything you need is very close by, plus you can easily find parking. I spent last summer in West Lafayette and hated how far everything was from where I was staying and how difficult it was to find parking again if you did decide to drive somewhere. I know that Fort Wayne isn't everyone's cup of tea, but as the 2nd largest city in Indiana, it's hardly a ghost town. The best part is how well you can live for very little money, which is a really big deal if you're trying to keep loans to a minimum.

As far as the school itself, I don't have much to offer since I won't start classes till August. Personally, coming from a smaller school for undergrad, I like the small class size and I've met many of the professors and students there. The students seem to be happy with the campus, but I think that's true of all the campuses. When I interviewed in Muncie, there were students who had tried for Indy but got placed in Muncie. They said they were disappointed at first, but that they came to love their campus and were really glad that it went the way it did. I think that no matter what you pick or where you're placed, you'll find stuff you love and stuff you wish was different. If anyone has any questions about Fort Wayne as far as the city goes, I'd be happy to try to help.

Question: If you decide to stay at the satellite campus for 3rd and 4th year, can you do some of your rotations at Indy or another school? Is that allowed? Thanks in advance.

It depends on what campus it is. Right now, if you decide to go to Bloomington campus for your third year, you pretty much have to stay the whole year. It's because for Bloomington's 3rd year, instead of a rotation schedule, they mix a lot of the clinicals together and go for the whole year. For example, you might have internal medicine on Monday and Tuesday every other week for the whole year. I think they still do some traditional rotation months too, so you might be able to do away rotations for those months. Also, if you choose to do third year in Bloomington you can still do fourth year in Indy (maybe even in another center). However, all of this shouldn't really impact your decision on where you go for the first two years. The advantage to go to the center that you think you will spend your third and possibly fourth year is, you get first dibs on the clerkship spots for THAT campus. Usually the spots don't fill up from my understanding, so I would base your decision on campus by other factors. Such as class size, lecture style (pbl vs. traditional), class schedule (semester vs. block) etc.

Anyone receive a rejection email yet?

I called a few days back and heard we might not hear until June. I think it's pretty safe to assume I've been rejected.:(

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish they would send rejection emails as soon as they know they would reject instead of having them wait all the way till the end.

I wish they would send rejection emails as soon as they know they would reject instead of having them wait all the way till the end.

+1 I'm fine with the result but the ambiguity is annoying

what did the alternate list email say?

Dear Mr. ...

Although the 2013 entering class has been filled, the Admissions Committee has voted to appoint you to the alternate list. Should an accepted student withdraw from the class between now and the fall term, an alternate candidate would be selected to fill the opening.

The alternate list will remain active until the class matriculates on August 12, 2013. At that time, candidates who have not been chosen to fill a vacancy will be notified that the entering class has taken its final form and that the alternate list is no longer active.

Please fill out and return the attached reply form to the Admissions Office as soon as possible. The accompanying email will provide you with additional information about the alternate list.

I hope I dont stay on the alternate list for too long

Did they send out all of the alternate list e-mails today? I haven't heard anything and I interviewed in November. Application portal still says "under consideration". I would hate to wait until June 1 just to get a rejection!!

They start filling up the waitlist this month, so I'm afraid that any of you who haven't heard back yet are almost definitely either rejected or waitlisted.

So sorry for those of you that this happened to and you didn't get into any other schools, but don't lose hope. I had to go through this another year and eventually it will pay off.

Best of luck everyone.

Alternate list

34 MCAT
3.65 GPA
Decent extracirriculars
Non-traditional major
In State

Does IU not release information about need-based grants/awards (e.g. not loans) until late in the summer?

Received a message from the financial aid office today stating info about need based awards will be released mid-July.

Reactions: 1 user
Received a message from the financial aid office today stating info about need based awards will be released mid-July.

That is just non-sense to me. People are deciding between schools based on aid, and you wait till July after students have already made a decision, to give out aid. Most schools will let you know your entire aid before May 15th deadline so it will help you make an informed decision.

If there is any aid I can get, just let me know instead of hitting me up with 75k loans per year (OOS)

Alternate list

34 MCAT
3.65 GPA
Decent extracirriculars
Non-traditional major
In State

With those stats, I'm willing to bet you applied late.

Last year my stats were (2011-2012):

3.73 GPA
31 MCAT
In state

I was waitlisted. I sent in my primary late in Oct. and didn't finish secondaries till Thanksgiving...boy did I pay for it.

Last edited:
that is just non-sense to me. People are deciding between schools based on aid, and you wait till july after students have already made a decision, to give out aid. Most schools will let you know your entire aid before may 15th deadline so it will help you make an informed decision.

If there is any aid i can get, just let me know instead of hitting me up with 75k loans per year (oos)
+1

That is just non-sense to me. People are deciding between schools based on aid, and you wait till July after students have already made a decision, to give out aid. Most schools will let you know your entire aid before May 15th deadline so it will help you make an informed decision.

If there is any aid I can get, just let me know instead of hitting me up with 75k loans per year (OOS)

Yeah I also don't get that.

With those stats, I'm willing to bet you applied late.

Last year my stats were (2011-2012):

3.73 GPA
31 MCAT
In state

I was waitlisted. I sent in my primary late in Oct. and didn't finish secondaries till Thanksgiving...boy did I pay for it.

Last year I was rejected because of "lack of clinical/shadowing experience" which was a fair criticism and I applied late. I addressed that weakness above and beyond what I assume they expected. This year the issue is my last semester GPA which was fairly low relative to previous semesters. There seems to be a disconnect between what the Admissions Office tells you when you talk to them and what the committee is thinking. The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing (or thinking).

They start filling up the waitlist this month, so I'm afraid that any of you who haven't heard back yet are almost definitely either rejected or waitlisted.

So sorry for those of you that this happened to and you didn't get into any other schools, but don't lose hope. I had to go through this another year and eventually it will pay off.

Best of luck everyone.

Are people notified that they are on the alternate list throughout May? Or has the entire list been filled already?

Are people notified that they are on the alternate list throughout May? Or has the entire list been filled already?

That I don't know. Last year I found out sometime JUST before graduation on May 5th...maybe a week before?

I'm guessing by May the list has been filled.

Last year I was rejected because of "lack of clinical/shadowing experience" which was a fair criticism and I applied late. I addressed that weakness above and beyond what I assume they expected. This year the issue is my last semester GPA which was fairly low relative to previous semesters. There seems to be a disconnect between what the Admissions Office tells you when you talk to them and what the committee is thinking. The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing (or thinking).

No there is no disconnect, but after talking to many many people I can give you an idea of why advice from any single person no matter who it is has to be taken with a grain of salt. Ultimately what it boils down to is the fact that every decision is made by a committee of many people, obviously not just the guy that interviewed you. I met with admissions director Karen Smartt last summer and she told me that I should have gotten in and she didn't know why. Obviously I applied late and that was probably the reason, but she didn't seem to sold on that idea.

Other friends of mine have taken advice from admissions committee counselors and sometimes to no avail. Advice like "you need to raise your MCAT" or "you need more clinical experience" sometimes is still not able to put them over the hump. It's just the nature of the game, some people seem to be really unlucky.

But I hope you get in whenever that may be, best of luck. Just keep working hard and eventually it will happen, I will promise you that.

No there is no disconnect, but after talking to many many people I can give you an idea of why advice from any single person no matter who it is has to be taken with a grain of salt. Ultimately what it boils down to is the fact that every decision is made by a committee of many people, obviously not just the guy that interviewed you. I met with admissions director Karen Smartt last summer and she told me that I should have gotten in and she didn't know why. Obviously I applied late and that was probably the reason, but she didn't seem to sold on that idea.

Other friends of mine have taken advice from admissions committee counselors and sometimes to no avail. Advice like "you need to raise your MCAT" or "you need more clinical experience" sometimes is still not able to put them over the hump. It's just the nature of the game, some people seem to be really unlucky.

But I hope you get in whenever that may be, best of luck. Just keep working hard and eventually it will happen, I will promise you that.

Just sucks if you have to reapply and delay a year if you don't come off that alternate list.

Just sucks if you have to reapply and delay a year if you don't come off that alternate list.

Yes I completely agree. Trust me I was just about a week away from graduation naiively thinking "no big deal I'll get my acceptance in no time" before I got notification of the alternate list. After that initial shock, the whole summer was gradually becoming more stressful the longer it went without any updates.

So the next time I applied much earlier and got in a one-year masters of science program, and BAM finally worked.

So I understand how tough it is emotionally, but you just have to take a look at your application if you applied on time and still didn't get in and just work from there, and you will eventually get in.

Just withdrew. Does anyone know if they are prompt about sending a confirmation email or should I give them a follow-up call tomorrow?

Same here. Alternate list and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do this summer. I was supposed to vacation it up after 4 yrs of labor, but now its just another couple months of torture! why IU why?!

Anyway, I checked my IUSM Application Status and it says "in process".....what does that mean and anyone else have it? O,o

What were the stats for alternate listed people?

not sure which stats ur speaking of so....

MCAT:28, GPA: 3.82, EC:scribe,officer,lots of volunteering, Instate, secondary sent in Oct.

if your talking about alternative stats, apparently its abt 100 students that get placed on the list, and approx 50 of them get in. so its literally 50/50, do or die.

I called to ask about the "In Process" and the said it was just a system error and that I was still on the alternate list.

Hey All,

I am going to throw my name in for the second lottery but I wondered if anyone had a good feeling about whether my odds would be better if I put Indianapolis or Lafayette? I know Indianapolis is, by far, the most popular campus, but there are also the most seats. Not really sure how popular the Lafayette campus is or how big it will be this year. Due to my personal situation these are the only 2 campuses that will work for me at this time. Any comments welcome :)

Thanks!

Hey All,

I am going to throw my name in for the second lottery but I wondered if anyone had a good feeling about whether my odds would be better if I put Indianapolis or Lafayette? I know Indianapolis is, by far, the most popular campus, but there are also the most seats. Not really sure how popular the Lafayette campus is or how big it will be this year. Due to my personal situation these are the only 2 campuses that will work for me at this time. Any comments welcome :)

Thanks!

Put Eville down... :p

I'd say Lafayette would have way better odds since most people are probably going to pick Indy for second lottery. Statistically, Lafayette would win. But... IU lottery/rankings/whatever aren't based on stats and more on... where the dart lands on the board. :smuggrin:

Hey All,

Thanks!

You should put Indianapolis because Purdue sucks! :laugh:

But seriously, I think Indy will be in large demand even still now. But to hell with it- I submitted Indy as my second lottery choice. The way I see it is that unless you are absolutely upset with your placement, just shoot for the stars you know?

You should put Indianapolis because Purdue sucks! :laugh:

But seriously, I think Indy will be in large demand even still now. But to hell with it- I submitted Indy as my second lottery choice. The way I see it is that unless you are absolutely upset with your placement, just shoot for the stars you know?

I'll be honest - if you're looking for a campus that prepares you well, Eville is probably your best shot. As much as I bitch and complain about being here, our shelf exams/step 1 scores DO show that we do better. Last years' step 1 score average was 240. Our class/ms1's shelf exam scores have always had the best average scores in the state. The only benefit of being in Indy is...being in Indy.

Pharm shelf - 85th centile average
Path shelf - 95th centile average

So...

hi everyone, thanks for the info, just wondering about the different hospitals for all of the campuses, maybe if a 3rd or 4th year could tell us about the patient software systems for all of the indiana hospitals including the ones for indy, like wishard (eg eclinicalnotes, epic, etc.)? also, sorry if this sounds odd, but the only scrubs i have are teal/seagreen, are there any hospitals that require a certain scrub color/use of specific scrubs? i heard about some hospitals having really strict rules about their scrubs, like you have to wear a specific color and/or can't wear them more than 15 feet away from the hospital, etc. Thanks!!!:)

hi everyone, thanks for the info, just wondering about the different hospitals for all of the campuses, maybe if a 3rd or 4th year could tell us about the patient software systems for all of the indiana hospitals including the ones for indy, like wishard (eg eclinicalnotes, epic, etc.)? also, sorry if this sounds odd, but the only scrubs i have are teal/seagreen, are there any hospitals that require a certain scrub color/use of specific scrubs? i heard about some hospitals having really strict rules about their scrubs, like you have to wear a specific color and/or can't wear them more than 15 feet away from the hospital, etc. Thanks!!!:)

I would also like more info on where all the IUSM students rotate during 3rd year. Does everyone rotate at IU hospital in Indy? Or do people go to local hospitals like St. Vincent. How does 3rd year differ from 4th year. Do a lot of people do away rotations?

hi everyone, thanks for the info, just wondering about the different hospitals for all of the campuses, maybe if a 3rd or 4th year could tell us about the patient software systems for all of the indiana hospitals including the ones for indy, like wishard (eg eclinicalnotes, epic, etc.)? also, sorry if this sounds odd, but the only scrubs i have are teal/seagreen, are there any hospitals that require a certain scrub color/use of specific scrubs? i heard about some hospitals having really strict rules about their scrubs, like you have to wear a specific color and/or can't wear them more than 15 feet away from the hospital, etc. Thanks!

Here's a letter I got -

In the next few weeks you will be receiving your unique four (4)-digit
ScrubEX number (access number) and PIN number (this is usually the last
four (4) digits of Student ID or SSN#) for accessing the scrub machines at IU,
Riley and Methodist Hospitals*. The machines ensure scrub units are
available for all authorized users twenty four (24) hours, seven (7) days a
week. By entering your ScrubEx number followed by your PIN number you
will be able to obtain two (2) initial sets of scrubs. After the second set is
obtained, at least one set must be returned before you can get another. These
numbers will remain valid until you graduate in 2014. All scrubs should be
returned upon completion of your courses in accordance with the policies and
procedures set forth by IU Health Partners and Indiana University School of
Medicine.
* If you're assigned to Wishard - the clerkship office will send a list of
students reporting to the hospital and you will get unique instructions from
them.

Basically, you'll get scrubs for you that work with the hospitals requirements.

I would also like more info on where all the IUSM students rotate during 3rd year. Does everyone rotate at IU hospital in Indy? Or do people go to local hospitals like St. Vincent. How does 3rd year differ from 4th year. Do a lot of people do away rotations?

Here's the breakdown -
Internal Medicine -
PREFERENCE RANKING FOR INDIANAPOLIS-BASED STUDENTS: (please rank your
preferences as follows "1
st choice", "2nd choice", or "doesn't matter")**
I. Two months of inpatient Medicine: _____________
II. One month of inpatient Medicine and one month of campus-based,
ambulatory (outpatient) care experience _____________
If you chose two months of inpatient Medicine experience, please rank the choice of your 2nd inpatient
site:
• VA Hospital (general medicine wards) _________
• St. Vincent Hospital (general medicine wards) _________
• University Hospital (subspecialty wards) _________
If you preferenced University Hospital as your 2nd ward month of choice, please rank the
following subspecialty ward services you would like to be assigned (rank all 4):
o Liver ________
o Oncology ________
o Hematology ________
o Pulmonary ________

The first month is mandatory at either Wishard or St. Vincents.

OBGYN

PREFERENCE RANKING: (please rank your top choices 1-5)
_____ University Hospital--Check if interested in:
_____ GYN/Oncology option or _____ Benign GYN option
_____ Teen/Adolescent GYN clinic
_____ Wishard Hospital
_____ Methodist Hospital
_____ St. Vincent's Hospital--Check if interested in:
_____ GYN/Oncology option or _____ Benign GYN option
_____ Out-of-county option (Ft Wayne, Northwest/Gary, Richmond, South Bend, Terre Haute)
If interested in any of these out-of-county venues, please check all that you might be interested in:
___Ft. Wayne ___Northwest/Gary ___Richmond ___South Bend ___Terre Haute

PEDS -

Pediatric Private Office Experience
• You MUST select either #3, #7 or both.
• If selecting #3, please complete #4 through #6 as well. If you leave #3 blank, you do not have to
answer these questions.
• If selecting #7, you may complete #8 optionally.
1. Name: ___________________________________
2. Rotation Dates for this clerkship: ____________________________
(ex 8/5/2013 to 9/27/2013)
3. ___A) I am willing to go off campus to a private office outside the immediate
Indianapolis area. I have indicated any preferences in the choices below (Most students
indicate areas where they have family or friends they can live with during the assigned
time. If you have more than one possible location, list in order of preference): *Also
note that we have a unique opportunity to send one student per rotation to Richmond,
IN, during their outpatient rotation only. (Room and board are provided.) If you are
interested please check this box and Jennie will contact you.
4. Location desired. (If the city you want is not listed please email
two months prior your rotation.) ___Bedford ___Bloomington
___Columbus ___Crawfordsville ___Evansville ___Ft. Wayne ___Franklin
___Jasper ___Muncie ___Munster ___Richmond ___Shelbyville
___South Bend ___Terre Haute ___Valparaiso
5. Pediatricians' name(s) (if known; if not, leave blank):
___Downtown___Northside ___Southside ___Eastside ___Westside
9. Spanish speaking ability: ___Fluent___Conversation ___Some ___None
Inpatient Pediatric Rotations. Rank from 1-5 (Note: there will be 6 rotations
blank!).
10. ___Riley Hospital- Cardiology
11. ___Riley Hospital- Housestaff (general)12. ___Riley Hospital- Complex Care(birth defects, genetic abnormalities)
13. ___Riley Hospital – Gastroenterology
14. ___Riley Hospital – Endocrinology
15. ___Riley Hospital - Hematology/Oncology
16. ___Riley Hospital – Pulmonary
17. ___Riley Hospital - Infectious Disease
18. ___Riley Hospital - Renal
19. ___Riley Hospital - Pediatric Intensive Care (PICU - pediatric patients from all age
ranges are cared for)
20. ___Wishard Hospital -NICU

Peds is a lil different in that you can choose to do it outside of Indy.

PSYCH

PREFERENCE RANKING: (please rank 1-8)
___Larue Carter – Adolescent
___Larue Carter – Adult
___Larue Carter – Child
___Midtown - ACT Team
___Methodist Hospital
___Riley Child and Adolescent
___V.A. Hospital
___Wishard Hospital

Gen Surg -

GENERAL SURGERY
A lottery system will be used for assigning students to General Surgery. There is no advantage to contacting our office separately to preference a site regardless of your petition reason as you will simply be informed that we are using a lottery system to assign rotations. Trading services with fellow students will also not be an option. Once assignments are finalized and publicized, they are locked in to aid us in obtaining the necessary hospital access.However, if you wish to be placed in one of the University Teams (currently called IUA, IUB, or IUC) for their scope of experience, please indicate here: □Yes I specifically want to work with one of the University Teams for General Surgery.

Bolded sound familiar? :laugh:

Surg SubSpec -

SURGERY SUBSPECIALTY PREFERENCE RANKING: (please rank 1-9)
Surgery Subspecialty Rotation Dates for this clerkship: ____________________________
(ex 06/14/2013 to 07/16/2013)
___ Cardiothoracic Surgery
___ Ear, Nose and Throat Surgery
___ Ophthalmology
___ Orthopaedic Surgery
___ Plastic Surgery
___ Transplant Surgery
___ Trauma/Acute Care ICU at Wishard
___ Urology
___ Vascular
If placed in Cardiothoracic Surgery, please rank 1-3 your choice of hospital location:
____ Cardio, Methodist
____ Cardio, Riley
____ Cardio, University
If placed in Plastic Surgery, please rank 1-4 your choice of hospital location:
____ Plastics, Riley
____ Plastics, University
If placed in Orthopaedic Surgery, please rank 1-4 your choice of hospital location:
____ Ortho, Riley
____ Ortho, University
____ Ortho, VA____ Ortho, Wishard
If placed in Vascular Surgery, please rank 1-3 your choice of hospital location:
____ Vascular, Methodist
____ Vascular, VA
____ Vascular, Wishard

This shows what goes where or where you can choose to do things.

Status
Not open for further replies.