2012-2013 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I called this morning and the kind lady I spoke to looked up my file and assured me that it was complete. She said that their automated system has been having issues sending out that email but not to worry. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Confused why I haven't gotten a secondary yet....AMCAS verified on 6/19. Is it worth emailing or calling in or would that irritate them?

i submitted amcas but not verified yet. about a week later an assistant dean from NYU emailed me encouraging me to apply to their school, and went on to explain all the goods their school has to offer. he said they got my info from AMCAS registry. he even wrote that he hopes to receive my application and to see me soon at nyu. i didn't think anything of it at first because maybe many students qualified/screened get this email - but has anyone else gotten this email? is this a very good sign?

Edit: got my answer from previous posts i see lolls

Members don't see this ad :)
Confused why I haven't gotten a secondary yet....AMCAS verified on 6/19. Is it worth emailing or calling in or would that irritate them?

I don't think that would irritate them. That definitely seems odd that you still haven't received it. I'd call them if I were in your shoes.

For the question "The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is it important to you" what are they really looking for/asking? Do you they mean a non-academic activity that makes me proud, a non-academic award, or some other personal thing/achievement that makes me proud? Could I just describe a volunteer experience that makes me proud even though I already mentioned it in AMCAS work/activities, or would they prefer something different...I'm lost with this question.

For the question "The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is it important to you" what are they really looking for/asking? Do you they mean a non-academic activity that makes me proud, a non-academic award, or some other personal thing/achievement that makes me proud? Could I just describe a volunteer experience that makes me proud even though I already mentioned it in AMCAS work/activities, or would they prefer something different...I'm lost with this question.

That's the route I went. I sort of rephrased an activity that I designated as most-meaningful on my primary.

Wow...I'm an idiot. The reason I never got a secondary is cause I somehow forgot to put it on my AMCAS. Fail.

Wow...I'm an idiot. The reason I never got a secondary is cause I somehow forgot to put it on my AMCAS. Fail.

Lol, don't worry, that happens. At least you caught this mistake early enough in the cycle.

That's the route I went. I sort of rephrased an activity that I designated as most-meaningful on my primary.

Thanks, that might be what I'll have to do. Either that or I'll pick one of the other 2 questions that I could write more about.

Has anyone been struggling with the first question? I can't tell if I'm overthinking it or it's just worded oddly but it seems like they're asking for qualities that would just contribute to NYU. It's weird. It's not like I'll stop being charming or forget all of my multicultural experiences if I end up somewhere else. What's your take on this?

Has anyone been struggling with the first question? I can't tell if I'm overthinking it or it's just worded oddly but it seems like they're asking for qualities that would just contribute to NYU. It's weird. It's not like I'll stop being charming or forget all of my multicultural experiences if I end up somewhere else. What's your take on this?

I had already written an essay about diversity for other schools, so I used that essay and explained how those unique/diverse qualities would help me at NYU.

oh ok then. so it's just a "what makes you cooler than all the other smart kids" question. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you guys using up most of the 2500 characters for all 3 essays?

For essay 3 (the one for which we have 3 options), I have answers for the meaningful achievements option and for the challenging situation essay (Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?). My meaningful achievement essay is only about 800 characters while my challenging situation essay is about 2300 characters...the problem is that the challenging essay describes a situation when I had to help my cousins to cope with a relative's illness, so I wasn't technically "working" with them...does this seem like it would work, or should I stick to the meaningful achievement essay even though it's much shorter?

does any one know if there is a word/character limit for the two questions on page 2 of the app (commenting on fluctuations and what have you been doing during time off)?

Are you guys using up most of the 2500 characters for all 3 essays?

For essay 3 (the one for which we have 3 options), I have answers for the meaningful achievements option and for the challenging situation essay...does this seem like it would work, or should I stick to the meaningful achievement essay even though it's much shorter?

i'd be interested in hearing a response to this as well...

i'd be interested in hearing a response to this as well...

For what it's worth, I had 2500 characters for the first essay and 1500 characters for the other two (I was accepted last cycle). I would probably write more than 800 characters but don't feel obliged to write the full 2500 characters for each essay. Content is obviously the most important thing.

For what it's worth, I had 2500 characters for the first essay and 1500 characters for the other two (I was accepted last cycle). I would probably write more than 800 characters but don't feel obliged to write the full 2500 characters for each essay. Content is obviously the most important thing.

Okay, thanks! That info helps!

So for the challenging situation essay (Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?), do you think it would be okay if I describe a situation when my parents and I had to help my cousins to cope with a relative's illness even if I wasn't technically "working" with them...or does this not really fit the question?

Yeah im having a tough time with this one too; does anyone else have suggestions..?

Okay, thanks! That info helps!

So for the challenging situation essay (Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?), do you think it would be okay if I describe a situation when my parents and I had to help my cousins to cope with a relative's illness even if I wasn't technically "working" with them...or does this not really fit the question?

I can definitely see how your response to the question could work. You were working with your cousins to cope with a challenging situation, and you and your family had to work as a team to help them overcome/resolve that situation. I'd say go for it.

Anyone else having problems writing "In Progress" in the grade box for required coursework that you will be taking in the future. It says to put exactly "In Progress" on the FAQ page, but the box has a 4 character limit... Oh secondary application websites how I love thee

Anyone else having problems writing "In Progress" in the grade box for required coursework that you will be taking in the future. It says to put exactly "In Progress" on the FAQ page, but the box has a 4 character limit... Oh secondary application websites how I love thee

Just put IP

So it says my application fee has been received, but the charge hasn't shown up on my credit card statement...everything else always shows up instantly...

Anybody else having this problem?

Just put IP

Thanks! Emailed admissions and they said the same thing. Don't know why they have it written differently on the FAQ

So it says my application fee has been received, but the charge hasn't shown up on my credit card statement...everything else always shows up instantly...

Anybody else having this problem?

Nope mine showed up almost instantly on my online credit card statement

So I'm thinking about adding this school...but there are two problems.

First, my year of gen chem was taken at a community college. All other main prereqs were completed at four year university. On their website, though, they seem to indicate that CCs are not ok.

Second, I have no research. Is this the type of school that will boot you if you have no research (*cough* Mayo, Pritzker *cough*). Otherwise, I feel like my app is fairly strong (36R, sci 3.98, cum 3.95, good clinical ECs).

Thanks for any input.

First, my year of gen chem was taken at a community college. All other main prereqs were completed at four year university. On their website, though, they seem to indicate that CCs are not ok.

Second, I have no research. Is this the type of school that will boot you if you have no research (*cough* Mayo, Pritzker *cough*). Otherwise, I feel like my app is fairly strong (36R, sci 3.98, cum 3.95, good clinical ECs).

Thanks for any input.
Go for it. I think the process is pretty random and you never know where you'll end up.

Thanks for any input.

Hmmm, I would call and ask about the gen chem requirement. What was your college major? If it was something scientific, you might be able to substitute upper level classes (ie physical chemistry) for the gen chem requirement.

As for not having research experience, it's definitely going to put you at a disadvantage, but you could still be a competitive applicant if your ECs are good enough. You also have some fantastic stats that will work in your favor. You should get some interviews, but be prepared to justify your lack of research experience at that point in time.

For the first essay question, did you guys write NYU-specific things, or did you just generally talk about your unique qualities that you can contribute to the school?

I'm trying to do background research on NYU but I can't find a brochure on their website or anything...

Did everyone get complete emails? I submitted a few weeks ago, and my status page says complete, but I haven't gotten an email yet

I actually got a complete email from NYU not long after I submitted; not sure if that's because my LORs were already in a few days before I submitted the secondary. Looks something like this:

This will inform you that we have received all forms and credentials required to complete your application. The Committee on Admissions will notify you as soon as any final action is taken.

Thank you,

Admissions Office

NYU School of Medicine

Just got the complete email- my materials have all been in for over a month. . .

Just got the complete email- my materials have all been in for over a month. . .

Ditto. I submitted my secondary in the middle of July, and they received my letters on 7/27. They might have just sent out a mass "file complete" email today to everyone because of technical problems. Or, they might have only started labeling files as complete today.

Either way, there's nothing we can do about it, so I wouldn't waste energy stressing.

That's funny I submitted 7/18 and got a complete email the same day. Did you have letters in before or after you were verified?

So I looked back through my NYU secondary and noticed a glaring typo in the first sentence of an essay. You can still understand what it is saying, but does that make me look like I don't care about this school? Hope the adcom members don't automatically throw out applications with a typo

If anything, it is a minor negative. I don't think adcoms would reject an otherwise qualified and desirable applicant because of that. Might hurt if you're on the borderline for an invite or acceptance though.

So I looked back through my NYU secondary and noticed a glaring typo in the first sentence of an essay. You can still understand what it is saying, but does that make me look like I don't care about this school? Hope the adcom members don't automatically throw out applications with a typo
You're not supposed to reread your essays for exactly that reason! :) Don't worry about it though - it happens and I don't think they'll hold it against you. I had what sounds like a similar typo in my primary that had stressed me out for a while as well.

I highly doubt that adcoms will throw out an entire application simply because of a typo. There are too many more important things to consider. As long as they can understand what you're saying and typos are not a recurring problem, you should be fine. This is why I don't reread secondaries after I submit. I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about it if I caught an error.:scared:

Haha yeah after this one now I want to go back to check all my others but that's probably not a good idea. Oh well, I'll just check double on my last secondaries I turn in next week

Just got application complete today... you is it kind of late in the cycle? Might just be being paranoid...

Submitted today and immediately got this e-mail:
"This will inform you that we have received all forms and credentials required to complete your application. The Committee on Admissions will notify you as soon as any final action is taken.

Does this mean my application is complete? How can it be complete so fast?

Submitted today and immediately got this e-mail:
"This will inform you that we have received all forms and credentials required to complete your application. The Committee on Admissions will notify you as soon as any final action is taken.

Does this mean my application is complete? How can it be complete so fast?

I think so. And it may be because they had already pre-loaded all your LOR, so the last piece of the puzzle was your secondary app submission + fee.

Someone listed NYU as one of the schools that has given II's in the thread about schools that have sent interview invites. But no one mentioned that in this thread...has anyone received II's from NYU yet? If not, I'm thinking that person probably meant New York Medical College.

Someone listed NYU as one of the schools that has given II's in the thread about schools that have sent interview invites. But no one mentioned that in this thread...has anyone received II's from NYU yet? If not, I'm thinking that person probably meant New York Medical College.

Some MSTP II's have been handed out, but I haven't heard of any MD-only II's.

I applied MD only and received my interview invitation today. 36/3.9 and got the complete e-mail 8/15. And yes I meant NYU, not NYMC.

I applied MD only and received my interview invitation today. 36/3.9 and got the complete e-mail 8/15. And yes I meant NYU, not NYMC.

Okay, thanks, just wanted to clarify. Sorry for being confused, and congrats on the invite. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.