2012-2013 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
*The pre-clinical curriculum is totally integrated which has allowed for a more streamlined presentation and elimination of redundancies. This translates to 18 months of pre-clinical coursework compared to 2 years everywhere else.

*Due to the above, you complete your core clerkships at the end of year three, which gives you plenty of time to do electives, selectives, and sub internships, which NYU has a HUGE amount of. NYU is also the only school that allows you to do a "concentration" (its like a major within medicine). This theoretically allows you to make a more informed decision about residency selection.

*Pass/fail all four years. This leads to an incredibly collaborative student body. However, I believe Columbia, Sinai, and Cornell are also pass/fail

*You take Step 1 at the end of year three not year two as with the other schools. Their idea is that applying basic sciences on the wards gives students context. NYU has very high Step 1 scores, so apparently this works.

*"Practice of Medicine" course for all 18 months of pre-clinical curriculum combines ethics, social medicine, and P&H into one course.

*"Pillars of Medicine" takes disease states that will be prevalent throughout the 21st century and weaves them through the pre-clinical curriculum. Some of the pillars are diabetes, colon cancer, and arteriosclerosis. You learn about these diseases on a molecular/physiological level but also meet with patients who have the diseases to understand the socio-cultural and clinical aspects of each one.

*Patient-based longitudinal ambulatory experience (P.L.A.C.E) pairs students up with several patients with chronic diseases at the beginning of year and then you follow them for the 18 months of the pre-clinical curriculum. The idea is that you learn about disease as a progression, learn bed side manner, and build strong relationships with patients.

*NYU puts a huge emphasis on international health projects for its students. It has a commitment to fund up to 80%/2500 dollars of an student initiated project though a specially created department of global health.

The above is what really sold NYU for me. There are other little things that are a bit gimmicky but are still neat. For example, Anatomy 2.0 is a 3D projector program ((complete with 3D classes) in the anatomy lab that allows you to manipulate the body in three dimensions and supposedly complements dissection.
Hats off on the research about the school but this does not help you answer the secondary. The questions are about what you have to offer to the school and not what the school has to offer as far as I understand. Correct me if I am wrong !!

Members don't see this ad.

Hats off on the research about the school but this does not help you answer the secondary. The questions are about what you have to offer to the school and not what the school has to offer as far as I understand. Correct me if I am wrong !!

This person's post had nothing to do with the secondary. He/she spoke about the interview experience and this was the answer to the "why NYU" question.

For the question about where you see your future medical career and why, is the question asking about what field we want to enter and why? I'm not a dual degree app, which seems to be what this essay is tailored to

Members don't see this ad :)
For NYU's requirements do you just need a years worth of the specific requirements or do you need to put in every chemistry course, every biology course, etc...

i took it as only putting a year's worth of courses...which meets the requirement. anyone object?

For the question about where you see your future medical career and why, is the question asking about what field we want to enter and why? I'm not a dual degree app, which seems to be what this essay is tailored to

Not field, as in specialty, but field as in which realm of medicine. Just choose from the options they gave and write about it.

Hey guys, I'm really interested in NYU but i'm on the fence as to whether I should apply to the regular MD program or the MD/MPH program. I looked at the NYU website and it says that one needs to apply separately to the MD and public health schools. My question is are your chances of getting in different if you apply to the MD/MPH; if I get into the MD but not the MPH am i just not given an offer of admission or would they give me an offer for the regular MD program? From the website it appears that MD students have a really high chance of getting into the MPH and if that's the case then I might as well as just apply MD and apply to the MPH later if I do get accepted? Thanks guys!

Hey guys, I'm really interested in NYU but i'm on the fence as to whether I should apply to the regular MD program or the MD/MPH program. I looked at the NYU website and it says that one needs to apply separately to the MD and public health schools. My question is are your chances of getting in different if you apply to the MD/MPH; if I get into the MD but not the MPH am i just not given an offer of admission or would they give me an offer for the regular MD program? From the website it appears that MD students have a really high chance of getting into the MPH and if that's the case then I might as well as just apply MD and apply to the MPH later if I do get accepted? Thanks guys!
I think the larger barrier is getting accepted to the MD program. Most people probably apply to the program after getting accepted, so you shouldn't worry too much about the MPH component right now.

If you were admitted to the MD program but somehow not accepted to the MPH program, there's no way they would rescind your MD acceptance.

I think the larger barrier is getting accepted to the MD program. Most people probably apply to the program after getting accepted, so you shouldn't worry too much about the MPH component right now.

If you were admitted to the MD program but somehow not accepted to the MPH program, there's no way they would rescind your MD acceptance.

You can call and ask, but I'm pretty sure if you get into the MD program, but not the MPH, you can still matriculate in the MD program. Most NYU students apply for dual-degree options after matriculating in the MD program.

Can anyone post the MD/PhD questions, if there are specific ones?

Thanks!

(PS. First post, thought I have been lurking for a LONG time)

Anyone know if Lab? refers to whether a class included a lab, or if it was a lab by itself?

Anyone know if Lab? refers to whether a class included a lab, or if it was a lab by itself?

I think it means if there was a lab with the course. That's how I entered it anyways!

Ok cool, so for something like "BIO 101 Lab" did you just write that as the course and leave "Lab?" unchecked?

I think it means if there was a lab with the course. That's how I entered it anyways!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, I still checked lab in that case as well. I bet it doesn't matter too much either way though

did anyone receive their secondary yet? Are the questions the same as last years? Can someone please post it? I'm waiting on verification from amcas, so I want to get started early! :)

did anyone receive their secondary yet? Are the questions the same as last years? Can someone please post it? I'm waiting on verification from amcas, so I want to get started early! :)
The first post of this thread has the prompts, I believe they are the same as last year's. Good luck!

I have a few Bs in sophomore year of school which is a fluctuation compared to the rest of my grades. Do you think this warrants answering the first question on the secondary?

I've already written out my explanation, but I was suddenly struck by the idea that drawing attention to a few Bs might be a bad thing? Also, the Bs were in required course (ie. Org Chem).

Thanks!

I have a few Bs in sophomore year of school which is a fluctuation compared to the rest of my grades. Do you think this warrants answering the first question on the secondary?

I've already written out my explanation, but I was suddenly struck by the idea that drawing attention to a few Bs might be a bad thing? Also, the Bs were in required course (ie. Org Chem).

Thanks!

I personally don't think B's are something that require an explanation.

Thanks!

Like you said, I wouldn't draw attention to those Bs. If your grades showed an upward trend, I doubt the admissions office will care very much. What I've seen many times on secondaries is schools asking for an explanation of grades of C or below, and I think this same rule applies for schools that simply ask for an explanation of low grades, or, in this case, "fluctuations" compared to the rest of your grades.

For the course name, did you guys copy exactly what the transcript says, or can you change it a little? My transcript is quite inconsistent in course names b/w semesters (eg. Introductory Chemistry I, Intro Chemistry II) -- is it okay if I change them a little to make it look more consistent?

Also, for this question: "If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so."
This only applies to those who have already taken a gap year right (since it says "what have you done)? I'm a rising senior and will be graduating early; just wanted to make sure I don't need to explain my gap year plans.

Thanks!

Just submitted. Oh I dearly hope they like me!

is it worth explaining a C- in Orgo II... got a 3.2 that semester (overall gpa 3.6)?

will they accept a 'c-' to fulfill the requirement? thought they need 'c' or better.

I looked on the website and couldn't find that, does it say that they accept only C and up somewhere?

do they require a full year of bio/chem/physics WITH lab? or is like 2 quarters w/ lab & one without okay? thanks!

Hey guys I REALLY need your help. Not sure if I got NYU's secondary or not (might have deleted it accidentally).

To access the secondary, did you have to create an account with your AAMC ID and AMCAS email at this link?

https://tools.med.nyu.edu/AMCASSupp...n.CreatePassword&CFID=149674&CFTOKEN=96049382

Entering my info doesn't work on that site, so if this is the site you used, I know I didn't get the secondary.

Thanks!

Hey guys I REALLY need your help. Not sure if I got NYU's secondary or not (might have deleted it accidentally).

To access the secondary, did you have to create an account with your AAMC ID and AMCAS email at this link?

https://tools.med.nyu.edu/AMCASSupp...n.CreatePassword&CFID=149674&CFTOKEN=96049382

Entering my info doesn't work on that site, so if this is the site you used, I know I didn't get the secondary.

Thanks!

It's a different site. You'll get an email with the site and a password from NYU. This looks like the site for the 2012 entering class

Thanks!

I got an email with this link: https://amp.med.nyu.edu

The username is just the AMCAS ID. The email that they sent me included a password. Once I logged on the site, I was able to change my password. If you have one password that you've been using for all the apps, maybe see if that password works? If that password doesn't work, you could just click forgot password and see if that sends you a new pw? And if that doesn't work, maybe you haven't received a secondary yet or something else is wrong...in which I guess calling the office is the only solution.

Thanks everyone! I tried the password that I normally use and changing the password, but neither option worked....so I guess I didn't receive the secondary. I have no idea why I thought I got it and marked it down on my spreadsheet, but thanks for your help guys! Was worried I was just sitting on the secondary not knowing I had it.

So how's everyone handling this copy/paste issue?

I re-wrote my first two essays in the app. However, my third essay is the max length and I'm wondering if I can pate into notepad, then into the NYU app like I did for AMCAS.

I re-wrote my first two essays in the app. However, my third essay is the max length and I'm wondering if I can pate into notepad, then into the NYU app like I did for AMCAS.
I copy pasted all them into textedit (mac equivalent of notepad?) and then copy pasted them into the app, and i believe it all worked out fine.

I have always used just word and everything has looked alright when I submitted for NYU... even though it says not to copy/paste at all.

I copy pasted all them into textedit (mac equivalent of notepad?) and then copy pasted them into the app, and i believe it all worked out fine.

I have always used just word and everything has looked alright when I submitted for NYU... even though it says not to copy/paste at all.

Great! thanks for reassurance. I winged it and copy/pasted, it was late and I just wanted to submit.

When I hit submit for my secondary, it said the session timed out. But it says supplemental application has been successfully submitted. I didn't receive a confirmation e-mail and the application submit still has the red ! icon. Do other people have this as well, even though they submitted the secondary?

When I hit submit for my secondary, it said the session timed out. But it says supplemental application has been successfully submitted. I didn't receive a confirmation e-mail and the application submit still has the red ! icon. Do other people have this as well, even though they submitted the secondary?

I have yet to get a confirmation email either, but my application submit has a green check. Does it say you've paid the fee yet haven't submitted the app?

I just got an email from this school asking me to apply there (They were not on my list of schools). Do they send that email to everyone? I'm not even going to be verified with AMCAS until the end of this week or so.

I just got an email from this school asking me to apply there (They were not on my list of schools). Do they send that email to everyone? I'm not even going to be verified with AMCAS until the end of this week or so.

Up your reading game.

Last sentence of the email:
We obtained your contact information from the AAMC MedMar registry where you had indicated interest in being contacted by medical schools.

Schools will send emails telling you to apply without knowing your stats, just knowing that you submitted a primary application to get your $100 dollars. Free email=$100 for them.

Schools will send emails telling you to apply without knowing your stats, just knowing that you submitted a primary application to get your $100 dollars. Free email=$100 for them.

i got this email as well. is it really that random? you'd think there would be some sort of screen or else they'd be sending it to everyone with a primary. also it is signed from the "assistant dean of diversity affairs".. i am white...

I'm pretty sure its automated. I got a pamphlet from Rochester sent today telling me to apply, even though I submitted it over two weeks ago.

For essay 2, I talked about how I want to take care of patients and be involved in research. Which category would this fall under?

i got this email as well. is it really that random? you'd think there would be some sort of screen or else they'd be sending it to everyone with a primary. also it is signed from the "assistant dean of diversity affairs".. i am white...

Either...

1) You signed up for some sort of list or program indicating your interest in applying to medical schools and receiving information from them

Or...

2) The school is basically extending a spot to you in their class. Apply! Apply!

Has anyone received a complete email yet? On the secondary website there is a green check next to secondary application and application fee. However next to the LOR it says that my committee letter was received a few weeks ago but there's no green check. Anyone else having a similar problem?

Has anyone received a complete email yet? On the secondary website there is a green check next to secondary application and application fee. However next to the LOR it says that my committee letter was received a few weeks ago but there's no green check. Anyone else having a similar problem?

I got a complete email on the 12th.

Yep, same problem. It has been about 2 weeks. I sent an email but got a generic response that indicated they didn't even look to see if there was a problem.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.