2012-2013 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
did anyone else have weird formatting issues with the secondary? I see that some of your responses got cut off, my responses didn't take up the whole box but the lines are almost on top of each other in the box when I look at the pdf.

Yes but someone earlier in this thread called admissions and said the adcoms will be able to scroll down and see the entire essay.

...I'm really really tempted to just say that I stumpled across Rosalind while going through my MSAR trying to find schools I wanted to apply to, and one thing lead to another--it IS the honest truth.

But the neurotic pre-med inside me wants to wants to explain how volunteering in africa I come down with appendicitis and the surgeon that removed it was a Rosalind alumni and since that day I have pledged that I will follow in the footsteps of my savior. (Completely untrue...I'm not saying I was going to lie, but you get the idea)

I know this is a simple question but it is really hard to fight the gunner inside me...

Members don't see this ad :)
Not gonna lie...I actually enjoyed writing that Life in Discovery essay :oops:

does anyone else think their website is kinda subpar? :(

I didn't have a problem with their website...?

Mine was pretty short, but I agree it was an interesting question.

Agreed, I was only able to get ~1600 chars but meh. Just submitted the secondary and my LOR's should have already arrived. I really hope I get a chance to interview here!

Agreed, I was only able to get ~1600 chars but meh. Just submitted the secondary and my LOR's should have already arrived. I really hope I get a chance to interview here!

Psh, you guys are noobs. I wrote 30,560 characters for both of mine!

Psh, you guys are noobs. I wrote 30,560 characters for both of mine!

oh I'm sorry, did I say 1600 characters? I meant to say 16000000 words. my mistake.

Also, how do you know when you enter screening? Is there a status page or will they email you?

Members don't see this ad :)
oh I'm sorry, did I say 1600 characters? I meant to say 16000000 words. my mistake.

Also, how do you know when you enter screening? Is there a status page or will they email you?

They email you. :)

Edit: Irish Football beat me to it!

What's the story on RFU? Does it have a specific mission? Why are the stats so low? And yes the website blows hard.

What's the story on RFU? Does it have a specific mission? Why are the stats so low? And yes the website blows hard.

Forgive me if I'm reading this wrong but it sounds like you've already made up your mind about RFU. Do you want serious answers to those questions?

From their website which "blows hard," their mission is "To serve the nation through the interprofessional education of health and biomedical professionals and the discovery of knowledge dedicated to improving the health of its people." Their numbers are low(er) probably because of the school's location, facilities, and a stigma attached to it. I don't have any inside information to back this up as I have never been there. Maybe a current student would have better info.

I don't mean to be rude, it just sounded from your post like you were coming in with some type of chip against RFU. I apologize if I was wrong.

Forgive me if I'm reading this wrong but it sounds like you've already made up your mind about RFU. Do you want serious answers to those questions?

From their website which "blows hard," their mission is "To serve the nation through the interprofessional education of health and biomedical professionals and the discovery of knowledge dedicated to improving the health of its people." Their numbers are low(er) probably because of the school's location, facilities, and a stigma attached to it. I don't have any inside information to back this up as I have never been there. Maybe a current student would have better info.

I don't mean to be rude, it just sounded from your post like you were coming in with some type of chip against RFU. I apologize if I was wrong.

Lol no, I meant more like, "We seek to produce compassionate, skilled physicians to serve Southeast Wyoming." So there aren't any geographical considerations in the admissions process, correct?

I just need to add three more MD schools to my list ... I was thinking RFU, Wake, and Albany. Help? 3.77/3.60/33

Oh, sorry about that. Yes I believe RFU is a private school that accepts plenty of OOS. It could be a good safety school for you. Good luck!

Oh, sorry about that. Yes I believe RFU is a private school that accepts plenty of OOS. It could be a good safety school for you. Good luck!

"Safety." Yeah right lol. Thank you and good luck!

Just a quick question... does this school send out a secondary once your primary is marked as complete? Or do they screen and only send it if they feel that you are a competitive applicant?

Just a quick question... does this school send out a secondary once your primary is marked as complete? Or do they screen and only send it if they feel that you are a competitive applicant?
they send it to everyone. no screening.

they send it to everyone. no screening.

Awesome, do they send the secondaries prior to AMCAS primary verification?... I am still waiting to be verified and just wondering if I should have already received a secondary?

Awesome, do they send the secondaries prior to AMCAS primary verification?... I am still waiting to be verified and just wondering if I should have already received a secondary?
there are a handful of schools who will send to unverified applicants I do not believe RFU is one of them. don't expect to receive the majority of them until you get verified.

No!!! Many schools will look at both applications side by side to compare, so this will just come off as lazy. Also, use every opportunity you can to express the aspects of your application that are differen't than last time - something didn't work before so they want to see that you have changed.

This is a really good post from the dean of admissions at Ohio State with advice for medical school re-applicants.

Great advice. Wow, that article was absolutely amazing because it wasn't vague. I feel like medical school officials are often too vague when giving advice or school-specific statistics and information. Thanks!

...I'm really really tempted to just say that I stumpled across Rosalind while going through my MSAR trying to find schools I wanted to apply to, and one thing lead to another--it IS the honest truth.

But the neurotic pre-med inside me wants to wants to explain how volunteering in africa I come down with appendicitis and the surgeon that removed it was a Rosalind alumni and since that day I have pledged that I will follow in the footsteps of my savior. (Completely untrue...I'm not saying I was going to lie, but you get the idea)

I know this is a simple question but it is really hard to fight the gunner inside me...
But did that Rosalind alumnus/a, with your help, then go on to save an entire African village from an outbreak of the bubonic plague, simultaneously rescuing its mayor from the disease and his own case of appendicitis which in turn caused the grateful mayor to lead the initiative to rename their village in honor of you and the alumnus/a? I didn't think so... ;)

Great advice. Wow, that article was absolutely amazing because it wasn't vague. I feel like medical school officials are often too vague when giving advice or school-specific statistics and information. Thanks!

Glad it helped. I really took to heart what he said about the personal statement - I completely changed mine and used it to prove without a doubt that I am a different applicant this time around and that I do have what it takes to be successful in medical school and to be an excellent physician.

Yeah I'm reapplying this year too, and since I only applied to one school I was hoping to reuse most of my ps. probably also bc i felt kinda lazy/hate writing/cant express myself well on paper.

but ya know what, honestly after working on it, i think you need to just rewrite it almost completely (maybe keeping some of the same themes). you need to be a different applicant- a better one! In one year most things arent gonna change all that much, so you really need to change things that you have control over, like your ps!

just my opinion!

Yeah I'm reapplying this year too, and since I only applied to one school I was hoping to reuse most of my ps. probably also bc i felt kinda lazy/hate writing/cant express myself well on paper.

but ya know what, honestly after working on it, i think you need to just rewrite it almost completely (maybe keeping some of the same themes). you need to be a different applicant- a better one! In one year most things arent gonna change all that much, so you really need to change things that you have control over, like your ps!

just my opinion!

I dont know how logical it would be to change your entire PS considering the "why medicine" aspect of it is going to be for the same reasons. I left that part of my PS the same and then added a final paragraph about how I've changed over the last couple years. To each their own though, I guess.

How did you hear about RFU?

I saw it in the MSAR and it was interesting to see a school named after Rosalind Franklin. :lame:

Man, I wish I had a better answer than this. I mean, how do you even respond to that? :confused:

How did you hear about RFU?

I saw it in the MSAR and it was interesting to see a school named after Rosalind Franklin. :lame:

Man, I wish I had a better answer than this. I mean, how do you even respond to that? :confused:

Just be honest, I guess. If your answer is too perfect they'll get suspicious. Just say that you found it in MSAR and after researching it more were really impressed by..... fill in the details.

My answer for the third question was literally one sentence. I didn't think there was any need to embellish on it? haha. =/

Just be honest, I guess. If your answer is too perfect they'll get suspicious. Just say that you found it in MSAR and after researching it more were really impressed by..... fill in the details.

+1, this is exactly what I said. This way you can be honest and flattering at the same time.

I got my secondaries today! I don't have my MCAT score yet and my app was just verified today. That was fast!

My answer for the third question was literally one sentence. I didn't think there was any need to embellish on it? haha. =/

same here man lol. I just said, "I learned about Rosalind Franklin from the MSAR."

So I don't have a coat at the moment. I am wondering if I should submit a photo of me in just a shirt and tie.

Hmmm.

So I don't have a coat at the moment. I am wondering if I should submit a photo of me in just a shirt and tie.

Hmmm.

I had a simple shirt with the top button open, no tie. Some pre-meds really over think the picture thing.

Is there a way to check the status? I went to the secondary app link, but it only allows you to fill out the secondary. Plus, with their weird login system (same name/password for all of us) there's probably no way to have a unique page...

Is there a way to check the status? I went to the secondary app link, but it only allows you to fill out the secondary. Plus, with their weird login system (same name/password for all of us) there's probably no way to have a unique page...

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

I guess we just have to be satisfied with the "complete" email.

I didn't get that yet, so far all I've gotten after submitting the secondary is this:

Thank you for your submitting your supplemental application and fee to the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University. Your complete supplemental application is necessary for further consideration of your application. The final deadline for the supplemental application letters of evaluation and MCAT scores is December 1, 2012. Deadline extensions will not be permitted. We recommend you complete your application as soon as possible to be given the earliest consideration.

If you have any questions regarding the application process please refer to the CMS Policies and Procedures Handbook located on the CMS Admissions website. Any additional questions should be directed to the Admissions Office at: [email protected].

Again, thank you for applying to the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science. We anticipate the Class of 2017 to be an outstanding one, and we are glad you're considering becoming a part of it.

Best Regards,

La'Mont Vaughn
Director, Admissions and Recruitment
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science

all my other schools have my LOR's >_>

I guess we just have to be satisfied with the "complete" email.

There is another one after the "complete" email concerning entering the screening process. I got this email a week ago:

Dear Applicant,

Your application has entered the screening process. This portion of the application process is the most time consuming, as the screeners have to review each piece of the applicant's file. It is not uncommon for this process to take 4-6 weeks or longer to complete. Once your application has completed this step, you will receive a confirmation email. If at any time you wish to check the status of your application, please feel free to email us at [email protected]

Sincerely,

CMS Admissions Office

So first its the "thank you for sending your secondary" email, then the "your application is complete" email, and finally the "your application has entered screening" email.

There is another one after the "complete" email concerning entering the screening process. I got this email a week ago:

Dear Applicant,

Your application has entered the screening process. This portion of the application process is the most time consuming, as the screeners have to review each piece of the applicant’s file. It is not uncommon for this process to take 4-6 weeks or longer to complete. Once your application has completed this step, you will receive a confirmation email. If at any time you wish to check the status of your application, please feel free to email us at [email protected]

Sincerely,

CMS Admissions Office

So first its the "thank you for sending your secondary" email, then the "your application is complete" email, and finally the "your application has entered screening" email.

when did you submit your secondary?

Just got the complete email...submitted 7/7. Now will be waiting for the "entered screening" email

Status
Not open for further replies.