2012-2013 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Submitted over a week ago. Does anyone know when Downstate starts to let you know if they are interested/not interested in your application?

Members don't see this ad.

I was completed on the 16th and havent mailed my MDPHD essay in yet, so...they should have verified you soon.

I just had a quick question...for one of the essay questions where we have to explain what activities we were part of during 3 months or longer if not working full time, right..So we don't explain the part where we took a year after bachelors and worked full time as an interruption, right..the way its worded it is a bit confusing:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how to answer question 1. I never did independent research, but I did work under a post-doc for more than a year. Does anyone know if that counts as contributing "significantly within a small group"?

Under the Required Premedical Course Work section, it says to "Submit any course descriptions... as a scanned PDF"

Do we actually have to submit all of our course descriptions or is that just for non-traditional courses?

Thanks!

Under the Required Premedical Course Work section, it says to "Submit any course descriptions... as a scanned PDF"

Do we actually have to submit all of our course descriptions or is that just for non-traditional courses?

Thanks!

I definitely did not see or do that, but I just got the application complete email from them, so I guess it didn't matter. My guess would be it's only for non-trad, but you might want to call them.

I just had a quick question...for one of the essay questions where we have to explain what activities we were part of during 3 months or longer if not working full time, right..So we don't explain the part where we took a year after bachelors and worked full time as an interruption, right..the way its worded it is a bit confusing:confused:

I took it to mean explain any time when you weren't doing something official full-time. In other words, "Convince us that you weren't just sitting around on the couch watching the Real World and eating potato chips."

I'm not sure how to answer question 1. I never did independent research, but I did work under a post-doc for more than a year. Does anyone know if that counts as contributing "significantly within a small group"?

I think that totally counts. It sounds scholarly, you were working with only a few people. Just focus on your own contributions to the group.

I agree with calling, but I took that to mean if your course is out of the ordinary or might be questionable to someone reading your file, then it would be best to upload the description.

it doesn't hurt to tell more than you think you have to. the better picture they have of you, the more they will be inclined to offer you an interview.

Scholarly Activity??- i have been out of school for several years, would my internship as a research assistant at Columbia University count, or is it better to say none?

I don't want to sound as if I am reaching for an answer, just to put something.

Thanks!
:eek:

Scholarly Activity??- i have been out of school for several years, would my internship as a research assistant at Columbia University count, or is it better to say none?

I don't want to sound as if I am reaching for an answer, just to put something.

Thanks!
:eek:

Having research experience can only help you. If I can recall, the question includes you working as part of a team, so in that respect it sounds good enough to talk about. Id list it.

I have a question regarding chemistry lab requirement. Our college just had one semester of general chem lab. We did not have two semesters of labs. So when they are saying on their website to have one intensive chemistry course..is that with or without lab? So if my college just had one semester of chem lab I need to send them the catalog information or a letter..I am kinda confused here..

Members don't see this ad :)
How does one pay for this secondary? When I submitted I think they told me to come back in a day or two to pay, but it's the same old secondary.

Sorry if this is a ******ed question but i can not log in to the secondary application from the link they emailed me. i checked multiple times to make sure my aamc id is correct and my date of birth is in the MM/DD/YYYY format ( for example, i would enter 12/12/1989 for a birthday of dec 12 1989) and i selected 2013 application year. does this happen to a lot of people ? i got my secondary this morning if thats the reason.

what should i do, is it a good idea to email them?

thanks a lot !

I have a question regarding chemistry lab requirement. Our college just had one semester of general chem lab. We did not have two semesters of labs. So when they are saying on their website to have one intensive chemistry course..is that with or without lab? So if my college just had one semester of chem lab I need to send them the catalog information or a letter..I am kinda confused here..

Hey! Similar situation here as I had AP credit for gen chem lab and they sent an email saying that was unacceptable. I emailed back saying look I'm sorry lol I didn't realize accepting this credit freshman year would mess up my applications and I did take higher level chem such as biochem and orgo lab which have this lab as Pre reqs and also explained how my college only offers one semester of gen chem lab...so even if I wanted to take another one to satisfy suny I couldn't. They emailed back and said they'd waive the requirement since I took higher level labs across the sciences. Just email them nicely, offer to take another chem lab at a cc, and they'll likely email back says g the requirement is waived, good luck!

Hey! Similar situation here as I had AP credit for gen chem lab and they sent an email saying that was unacceptable. I emailed back saying look I'm sorry lol I didn't realize accepting this credit freshman year would mess up my applications and I did take higher level chem such as biochem and orgo lab which have this lab as Pre reqs and also explained how my college only offers one semester of gen chem lab...so even if I wanted to take another one to satisfy suny I couldn't. They emailed back and said they'd waive the requirement since I took higher level labs across the sciences. Just email them nicely, offer to take another chem lab at a cc, and they'll likely email back says g the requirement is waived, good luck!

They just emailed you out of the blue telling you that that was unacceptable? I basically did the same thing with biology lab but my app just went complete yesterday.

weird, because i know someone who interviewed last cycle who only had AP chem, no gen chem taken in college. first, the whole ap credit thing should be consolidated into AMCAS as one set of requirements across the board, because it's annoying for each school to be different, and to have to figure out where one can apply. second, all schools should accept AP credit if the undergraduate institution does, because it's really annoying to get a 14 on the PS section of MCAT, take a whole bunch of upper-level chem, then have to go back and sit with freshman for a year, going over atomic mass, just to be considered at a medical school.

They just emailed you out of the blue telling you that that was unacceptable? I basically did the same thing with biology lab but my app just went complete yesterday.

Yes lol they emailed me at 9:30 PM east coast time saying that this AP credit for that lab was unacceptable and to respond saying how I would intend to fix this prerequisite. I responded to the email with what I wrote above, and then they emailed about a week later saying they would waive that requirement since I have more upper level lab courses such as orgo lab and have taken biochemistry

Yes lol they emailed me at 9:30 PM east coast time saying that this AP credit for that lab was unacceptable and to respond saying how I would intend to fix this prerequisite. I responded to the email with what I wrote above, and then they emailed about a week later saying they would waive that requirement since I have more upper level lab courses such as orgo lab and have taken biochemistry

Hmm...so as I said my situation is very similar, just substitute biology lab for gen chem lab. I have taken advanced biology courses such as neuroscience and biochemistry, but none of them had associated labs. As in your situation, intro bio lab was a prereq for those advanced classes, and since I was awarded AP credit I was allowed to take them. I have also completed gen chem and orgo labs. Do you think they'd react the same way to my situation? (i.e. waive the requirement due to advanced coursework)

I just think it's funny because had I just AP'd out of the full intro bio course and taken the advanced bio classes that didn't come with labs, I feel like no one would ever have even noticed/cared.

Same I listed AP Bio credit, but got a complete email.
I can't view my secondary, but I think I talked briefly about how I took upper level biology courses in the description box.

Same I listed AP Bio credit, but got a complete email.
I can't view my secondary, but I think I talked briefly about how I took upper level biology courses in the description box.

I got the complete email as well but assumed that being complete doesn't mean someone looked over the app yet and determined if all required coursework was completed. Mosa, did you get this email before or after you were notified of being complete? Thanks a lot.

Interview Invite today!!! OOS, complete 7/23.

Quick question, does anyone know about how long it would take to get from JFK to the campus using public transportation vs. a cab? Thanks!

Quick question, does anyone know about how long it would take to get from JFK to the campus using public transportation vs. a cab? Thanks!

A cab will get you to campus in about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. Public transportation would take a little over an hour (taking two buses).

hi douladoc. if you don't mind what were your stats and how were you notified of Interview invite? Thanks!

I got the complete email as well but assumed that being complete doesn't mean someone looked over the app yet and determined if all required coursework was completed. Mosa, did you get this email before or after you were notified of being complete? Thanks a lot.

I believe this was after I was notified of being complete. I had all my letters in a while ago, most schools say they downloaded mine by June 11 so I was def complete before receiving this email.

hi douladoc. if you don't mind what were your stats and how were you notified of Interview invite? Thanks!

Sure, I was invited via e-mail. They pre-scheduled the interview and asked me to e-mail/call to confirm I could make that date.

stats: 3.79, 37Q

Sure, I was invited via e-mail. They pre-scheduled the interview and asked me to e-mail/call to confirm I could make that date.

stats: 3.79, 37Q

Thanks douladoc! Congrats on the interview invite!

1. Is tutoring high school students while undergrad considered "peer teaching" or does that only refer to fellow undergrads/TA'ing?

2. "3 month gap" - does this even mean summer vacation (1/2 May-September = 3.5 months)

Last edited:
1. Is tutoring high school students while undergrad considered "peer teaching" or does that only refer to fellow undergrads/TA'ing?

2. "3 month gap" - does this even mean summer vacation (1/2 May-September = 3.5 months)
I'm not positive about the first question but I think the three month gap is for students who had interruptions in their education. Since one is still considered a full time student during one's summer break, I do not think that falls in the category of a break in one's education.

thanks that's what I thought and for my first question I guess writing about tutoring might be better than writing "NONE"

It's unfortunate that they specifically stated the duration had to be at least one year. Because of this I put "None" :(

I hope they read my primary app in addition to the secondary to see that I have tutoring experience, just not for an entire year.

Interview Invite as well. :D Complete 7/31

Quick question.

I have an interview at Buffalo on the 5th, and Downstate wants to interview me on the 6th.

Would it hurt my chances at all if I called Downstate and asked them for a slightly later interview date?
I would prefer to move the Buffalo interview, but I already confirmed the 5th with them.

Anyone do two interviews back to back? I'm thinking of trying to do both on the 5th and 6th, but I don't know if that would be realistic or not, considering the distance between the two schools.

Super excited though! I loved Downstate when I visited.

Interview Invite as well. :D Complete 7/31

Quick question.

I have an interview at Buffalo on the 5th, and Downstate wants to interview me on the 6th.

Would it hurt my chances at all if I called Downstate and asked them for a slightly later interview date?
I would prefer to move the Buffalo interview, but I already confirmed the 5th with them.

Anyone do two interviews back to back? I'm thinking of trying to do both on the 5th and 6th, but I don't know if that would be realistic or not, considering the distance between the two schools.

Super excited though! I loved Downstate when I visited.

Congrats! Buffalo and Downstate are both awesome. I will be interviewing at Buffalo on the 5th. Reschedule Downstate, we're probably going to get out around 4pm on the 5th. Whether you're flying or driving, it will be a LONG night for you if you're trying to get to Brooklyn, and I think being fresh and relaxed for both interviews is important.

How long does it typically take to get a secondary from them, after verification that is ?

Congrats! Buffalo and Downstate are both awesome. I will be interviewing at Buffalo on the 5th. Reschedule Downstate, we're probably going to get out around 4pm on the 5th. Whether you're flying or driving, it will be a LONG night for you if you're trying to get to Brooklyn, and I think being fresh and relaxed for both interviews is important.
Thanks! Hopefully I'll see you at Buffalo then. :D

I'm going to see what dates are available for rescheduling and decide from there. The Downstate email seemed to emphasize that rescheduling is difficult, and they advised to only do it if we had to. I hope this is an acceptable reason.

Have you rescheduled at Downstate already?

hope to hear back from downstate soon, been complete since 7/19....oh and interviewing at buffalo on Sep. 5th too

Sorry if this is a ******ed question but i can not log in to the secondary application from the link they emailed me. i checked multiple times to make sure my aamc id is correct and my date of birth is in the MM/DD/YYYY format ( for example, i would enter 12/12/1989 for a birthday of dec 12 1989) and i selected 2013 application year. does this happen to a lot of people ? i got my secondary this morning if thats the reason.

what should i do, is it a good idea to email them?

thanks a lot !

i just got secondary and have the same issue, what am I doing wrong?!

Just rescheduled the interview to 9/19, I'm super excited, but I'm missing four days of classes next month lol.

congrats on all the interview invites! So exciting!

Any idea when Downstate's gonna start on OOS applicants? I was complete 7/16. No news!

got an invite as well OOS. and also dont worry for others about COMPLETE. i was complete like 1st/2nd week of JULY and as you can see i got an invite after the 7/31 person above in this thread.

Also i ahvent gotten an invite from some places like baylor, einstein, boston or jefferson, (rejection at mayo) and on hold at u chicago. but have gotten an invite at umdnj-rwj, cooper med, u pitt.

so this process is pretty random in my opinion. so hold on tight folks.

got an invite as well OOS. and also dont worry for others about COMPLETE. i was complete like 1st/2nd week of JULY and as you can see i got an invite after the 7/31 person above in this thread.

Also i ahvent gotten an invite from some places like baylor, einstein, boston or jefferson, (rejection at mayo) and on hold at u chicago. but have gotten an invite at umdnj-rwj, cooper med, u pitt.

so this process is pretty random in my opinion. so hold on tight folks.

:thumbup: thanks! :)

When does downstate email username and password to access the admissions checklist? I've been complete for a 1+ already, but haven't received an email regarding the checklist. Thanks!

Interview invite!!!! Complete July 13...Will have to reschedule because I will be out of town that day though

For those who got Interview Invites already, may I ask what your stats were and if you are OOS or IS? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.