2012-2013 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Invite today for the 19th of September. Complete the 11th of July. Does anyone familiar with the area know if SUNY is at all close to penn station? Either walking or via cab that is.

Members don't see this ad.

Invite today for the 19th of September. Complete the 11th of July. Does anyone familiar with the area know if SUNY is at all close to penn station? Either walking or via cab that is.

Downstate is in Brooklyn, Penn Station is in Manhattan. You have to take the subway: take the 2 train from the 34th st/Penn Station stop all the way to Winthrop St and then it is an easy walk from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Downstate is in Brooklyn, Penn Station is in Manhattan. You have to take the subway: take the 2 train from the 34th st/Penn Station stop all the way to Winthrop St and then it is an easy walk from there.

Thank you! Do you know if it's possible to take a cab from penn station to suny? Sorry for the dumb questions lol they just sound so silly to those of you familiar with NYC. I've only been a few times

Thank you! Do you know if it's possible to take a cab from penn station to suny? Sorry for the dumb questions lol they just sound so silly to those of you familiar with NYC. I've only been a few times

Downstate is pretty far from penn station and NYC cabs are a bit pricey (will cost you about $30) so I wouldn't recommend it. Just buy a $5 metrocard and take the subway. Not only will you get there faster, but you'll also save your drinking money for later that night :D

INTERVIEW INVITE!!!!!

I have officially surpassed my total number of interviews in my last application! woohoo!

I've never been to NYC...my interview's on 9/25. Any tips for someone coming in from California? (where to fly into, where to stay...how to get around/to the school...haha I'm so unfamiliar with NYC!) ahhhhh so excited!!!!

Hey everyone congrats on the interview invites. To everyone else, Downstate sends out invites in a seemingly random fashion, so don't despair if a few months go by and you hear nothing but silence.

Also I know this is random, but on the tours I gave there was always an applicant or two that forgot to give their meal preference (i.e. kosher, vegeterian...). Please remember to do so in the confirmation email when you get the invite, as it isn't always easy to get one of those if we first find out after lunch has already started (and not fair to the other applicants who lose out on being able to ask us questions during lunch).

Good luck to everyone, and I hope to see you on the tours!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone congrats on the interview invites. To everyone else, Downstate sends out invites in a seemingly random fashion, so don't despair if a few months go by and you hear nothing but silence.

Also I know this is random, but on the tours I gave there was always an applicant or two that forgot to give their meal preference (i.e. kosher, vegeterian...). Please remember to do so in the confirmation email when you get the invite, as it isn't always easy to get one of those if we first find out after lunch has already started (and not fair to the other applicants who lose out on being able to ask us questions during lunch).

Good luck to everyone, and I hope to see you on the tours!

thank you for the information :)

What did your "complete" emails look like?

7/16 Thank you for submitting your application for admission to SUNY Downstate College of Medicine's 2013 entering class. We have received the necessary documents and fee (or fee waiver) to forward your application for an initial review by the Admissions Committee.

thats what I got...nothing since then.

will be there for interview on 10/18, i rescheduled because of NYU MSTP interview on 10/19.

downstate got back to me really fast, i tried to reschedule by calling the office at first, but they told me to email them instead -- probably because they are super busy?

I got an interview invite for 9/20. Did anyone accept via email? Did you get a response back?

I got an interview invite for 9/20. Did anyone accept via email? Did you get a response back?

i emailed last night and called this morning. The woman at the office said she had my email :) But they dont' really respond to the email.

II for September 10 complete august 4. Really excited would love to go here

i emailed last night and called this morning. The woman at the office said she had my email :) But they dont' really respond to the email.

I also called to see if they offered student hosting for interviews and they said to keep in touch with the Admissions Office. They haven't asked students about hosting yet but will in the future.

will be there for interview on 10/18, i rescheduled because of NYU MSTP interview on 10/19.

downstate got back to me really fast, i tried to reschedule by calling the office at first, but they told me to email them instead -- probably because they are super busy?

You got a MSTP invite from Downstate? I wonder why I haven't?

I've never been to NYC...my interview's on 9/25. Any tips for someone coming in from California? (where to fly into, where to stay...how to get around/to the school...haha I'm so unfamiliar with NYC!) ahhhhh so excited!!!!

Hey, I was in your shoes last year! I e-mailed Ilana Levine (she's the lady that sent you the interview invite) and asked if any current students were interested in hosting me. She couldn't find anyone, but I was allowed to stay in the school dorm, which is right across the street. I got to the school from JFK by taxi (cost me $40, iirc?), but you can take the train/bus if you want to save some money (you might not want to do this late at night though, trains are unpredictable at those hours and the area around the school isn't great). You want to get off at "Winthrop Station" on either the 2 or 5 line. Just a word of caution though, I couldn't find a taxi when trying to leave the school after my interview day (called 2 taxi services, but they both wouldn't send a car to the area), and I had to use the trains to get back.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

cGPA 90/Med/10 - 3.95/3.74/3.5
sGPA 90/Med/10 - 3.97/3.73/3.41

MCAT 90/Med/10 - 37/33/30 (R/Q/M)

Anybody else get request for Fall grades? my GPA is just below median, is this the last i will hear from them until i submit grades?

Please send a copy of your fall grade report to [email protected] when it becomes available. Thank you.
Sincerely,
SUNY Downstate Admissions Office

I sent medadmissions an email because maybe they didn't get my MSTP documents.

Anybody else get request for Fall grades? my GPA is just below median, is this the last i will hear from them until i submit grades?

Please send a copy of your fall grade report to [email protected] when it becomes available. Thank you.
Sincerely,

From my experience with them (they requested some fixes to a couple of my LOR), it's pretty much the last you'll hear regarding your app progress until you submit the update. The fact they're requesting it probably means they want that info before they proceed with evaluating your application.

That said, are they asking for your grades for this fall (Fall 2012)? Danng. o.o

Sincerely,

From their FAQ (http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/com/amcas_faq.html), that's what it sounds like:

17. My application is on hold for fall grades, does that mean that my application will not be reviewed?
If the Admissions Committee has requested your fall grades, your application will be re-reviewed after we have received your fall grade report (it is not necessary to send an official transcript).

Anyone know how to indicate a grade that is still in progress? I tried to leave it blank but it won't go through the certification stage.

much thanks...

anyone know how to indicate a grade that is still in progress? I tried to leave it blank but it won't go through the certification stage.

Much thanks...

Try using "IP"

Is anyone else having a problem with submitting the secondaries?

I used word documents to prompt my secondary and I can't log in to the website.

I've been waiting for like 10 hours now, and I was wondering if the problem is on my side of the computer.

Is anyone else having a problem with submitting?

Is anyone else having a problem with submitting the secondaries?

I used word documents to prompt my secondary and I can't log in to the website.

I've been waiting for like 10 hours now, and I was wondering if the problem is on my side of the computer.

Is anyone else having a problem with submitting?

you are not alone, it happened to me as well. wait for a day or two, you should be fine.

anyone have any success inquiring about student hosting for interviews?

Sincerely,

Last edited:
For those of you OOS or traveling for interviews, I managed to get a student host! Dr. DeOliveira managed to match me up with someone! :)

Anyone from CA know what they're doing for flights? I still haven't booked mine...interview 9/25

Hey, I sent you a message, but I don't know if you got it.

Last edited:
Any opinions on a cheap place to stay nearby the school? I'll be arriving a few days early after another interview, so i'm trying to find something that doesn't dig too deep into my wallet :)

Any opinions on a cheap place to stay nearby the school? I'll be arriving a few days early after another interview, so i'm trying to find something that doesn't dig too deep into my wallet :)

Why don't you stay with a student host?

I felt bad asking for a host for the 4 nights I'll be there.

I felt bad asking for a host for the 4 nights I'll be there.

Oh got it, sorry i misread that you were arriving early. There are plenty of great hostels in NYC, not sure about Brooklyn (although I'm sure there are), but Hostelling International in Manhattan was a very clean and accommodating hostel, and it shouldn't run you more than $30 or $40 a night.

Oh got it, sorry i misread that you were arriving early. There are plenty of great hostels in NYC, not sure about Brooklyn (although I'm sure there are), but Hostelling International in Manhattan was a very clean and accommodating hostel, and it shouldn't run you more than $30 or $40 a night.

Awesome. Thanks! I'll check this out.

I've heard nothing and it's getting a bit frustrating. I've been complete forever.

Just got an interview invite. Trying to reschedule though because it conflicts with another interview of mine

Interview Invite! IS, c3.86, s3.82, 32R. They scheduled me for 10/4, but I have a Jefferson interview on the 3rd, so I guess I'll have to reschedule. I know this has been asked before, but does anyone think it will negatively impact your chances if you reschedule your interview. For example, they may think you care less about their school, since you chose to reschedule theirs over other interviews.

Also, their email says "Please make every effort to attend this interview, since rescheduling is difficult."

Status
Not open for further replies.