2012-2013 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ucla has been pretty quiet recently. any current students know if all the interview spots for this semester have been filled up? anyone with an ii scheduled for december?

Hey, I'm not a current student but I doubt they've been filled up. I just recently got my invite a few days ago and I'm scheduled for the end of November. According to their dates for the evening social, I think there still might be a few interview dates in the first half of December and a couple in the first week of January before the first decisions come out. Either way, good luck man! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm not a current student but I doubt they've been filled up. I just recently got my invite a few days ago and I'm scheduled for the end of November. According to their dates for the evening social, I think there still might be a few interview dates in the first half of December and a couple in the first week of January before the first decisions come out. Either way, good luck man! :thumbup:

Thanks, Fivo! Good luck to you too. I'm sure you'll rock the interview.

No secondary by now pretty much means rejection? Do they eventually reject u or silent rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)

ahhhhh hoping for love from UCLA!

No secondary by now pretty much means rejection? Do they eventually reject u or silent rejection?

Unknown. For what it's worth, I got a secondary from UCSF last month after submitting my AMCAS June 20th. But yeah, seems a little late. Good luck to you, smile.

Unknown. For what it's worth, I got a secondary from UCSF last month after submitting my AMCAS June 20th. But yeah, seems a little late. Good luck to you, smile.

Thanks gmoneytalks. Submitted my primary back in June. Both UCI and UCSD sent me secondary quite early on. Retook my MCAT mid-August and received that score mid-sept. Got UCD and UCSF secondary the day my MCAT retake scores were released. Idk what's up with UCLA man.

Thanks gmoneytalks. Submitted my primary back in June. Both UCI and UCSD sent me secondary quite early on. Retook my MCAT mid-August and received that score mid-sept. Got UCD and UCSF secondary the day my MCAT retake scores were released. Idk what's up with UCLA man.

Yeah, I had a similar experience with UCI and UCSD, though UCSD has since punked me hahhhahah. I hope UCLA is getting ready to send out secondaries and ii's. Tomorrow is Friday...

I got UCLA, UCI, and UCSD very quickly after verification but still haven't gotten UCSF :laugh: I assume I've been screened out at UCSF, but overall the UC's are just so bizarre...

I thought they give the first decisions in December?

I got UCLA, UCI, and UCSD very quickly after verification but still haven't gotten UCSF :laugh: I assume I've been screened out at UCSF, but overall the UC's are just so bizarre...

I wouldn't assume you've been screened out of UCSF! I certainly got screened and they sent me an email! They didn't even want my money! No secondary!

Enough !'s. I got Davis and LA secondaries pretty quick. Davis sent me an instant interview invite for 8/24 (OOS), but UCLA only got back to me about a week ago with one. I rejected it because I got accepted to one of my top choices over on the east coast, so I hope one of you enjoys my slot! But I wouldn't quite give up on SF haha.

the online MSAR says:
Acceptance Notice- earliest date sent
December 15, 2012

Who knows??

MSAR is not entirely accurate. Based on UCLA's own website, I'm almost certain that decisions will go out on January 15th. That, and last year's thread was Jan 15th as well for decisions. It definitely isn't December 15th

Members don't see this ad :)
MSAR is not entirely accurate. Based on UCLA's own website, I'm almost certain that decisions will go out on January 15th. That, and last year's thread was Jan 15th as well for decisions. It definitely isn't December 15th

That's an early possibility, but most people find out in March.

At the interview they told us that that they will give out about 120-130 acceptances at the end of March (at about March 30) since that is when AMCAS requires that every school have accepted at least the number of students that they want in their final class. After March 30, they will give out about 120 more acceptances. At that point everyone else is on the waitlist, and they eventually start accepting ppl off the waitlist as the accepted students reply back.

That's an early possibility, but most people find out in March.

At the interview they told us that that they will give out about 120-130 acceptances at the end of March (at about March 30) since that is when AMCAS requires that every school have accepted at least the number of students that they want in their final class. After March 30, they will give out about 120 more acceptances. At that point everyone else is on the waitlist, and they eventually start accepting ppl off the waitlist as the accepted students reply back.

WAT? Noooooo. So the January 15th date is make-believe or what? :eek:

what time does the interview day end? Would I be able to make a flight from Lax at 7pm that day?

what time does the interview day end? Would I be able to make a flight from Lax at 7pm that day?

Yea, you should be OK, just leave right when you finish because the traffic will be horrendous. It took me an hour to go 5 miles down the 405 after I left.

WAT? Noooooo. So the January 15th date is make-believe or what? :eek:

Somebody asked about the January 15 date at the interview, and the adcom kind of laughed and said that's a little early, and said the March date is more likely.

I remember reading something about needing to submit an official transcript to UCLA... is this something that we only do after we've finished all the course requirements? There's one last course I won't be taking until this coming spring semester.

Just received an II! Complete around end of August. They're interview scheduling system is a little frustrating. I hope my interview isn't scheduled too long from now...

Anyway, still thrilled!

I remember reading something about needing to submit an official transcript to UCLA... is this something that we only do after we've finished all the course requirements? There's one last course I won't be taking until this coming spring semester.

Word on the street is that you don't have to send it until way later, as in before matriculation. Search this thread back a few pages to see what someone said. I'd also email/call the admissions office to verify (I'm too lazy).

Just received an II! Complete around end of August. They're interview scheduling system is a little frustrating. I hope my interview isn't scheduled too long from now...

Anyway, still thrilled!

Congrats! My interview was scheduled 1.5 months later lol, though I did have like 10-15 dates blocked off

Word on the street is that you don't have to send it until way later, as in before matriculation. Search this thread back a few pages to see what someone said. I'd also email/call the admissions office to verify (I'm too lazy).

Definitely check this with them. Lily told us on the interview day "send it when you can." I'm not sure if they need it before the AdCom meetings or just before matriculation, and I didn't ask since I'll be sending mine in December, which should be before the AdCom meetings anyway. So definitely call to ask them just to be safe.

Does anyone know if UCLA is open to receiving letters of interest? And who/email to send it to? I've been complete since July... Just want to express my continued interest (and pray for an interview invite!!). Any insight would be great. Thanks!

Does anyone know if UCLA is open to receiving letters of interest? And who/email to send it to? I've been complete since July... Just want to express my continued interest (and pray for an interview invite!!). Any insight would be great. Thanks!

No idea, but I doubt this would hurt you. I say go for it.

Seriously? No more secondaries? WTH! verified 9/15 3.74 34 and IS :/

Seriously? No more secondaries? WTH! verified 9/15 3.74 34 and IS :/

Yeah, seriously. I feel like they screen out applicants with Verbal in the single digits. haha. Exact same MCAT score as you and fairly similar GPA and IS. Still no secondary either. I've already given up hope...and UCLA is my number one dream school too.

There will be more, you were only verified a month ago so you might not get a secondary for a while.

I agree. If there is any trend I have noticed this cycle (not that I have had other ones), it is that schools tend to do different aspects of the application process in bursts and not in tandem. For example, I feel that a bunch of secondaries are granted when the adcom meets during a certain week(s), then interview invites some other week(s), then interviews, then back to one of the aforementioned, so on, so on...

I would hang in. UCLA has not even handed out decisions, which I believe will happen in Jan, and according to the website Jan is also the time that secondaries halt, so there is still a great chance; especially considering you recent completion. In addition, most of the UC's I have contacted have confided that they are running slow this year.

Good luck and keep strong.

Interview Invite today. So stoked. Stats: OOS, 35R, 3.9 bcpm, 3.7 ao. Submitted 9/23.

Any advice on how to prep for the MMI's?

There is no prep for MMI's. You've been training your whole life.

That's what they told us.

Interview Invite today. So stoked. Stats: OOS, 35R, 3.9 bcpm, 3.7 ao. Submitted 9/23.

Any advice on how to prep for the MMI's?

There are many resources online for sample scenarios and practice. I don't have the links otherwise I'd give them to you, but you'll find you google it.

There were 2 separate groups of 8 interviewing. One group had to arrive early and did their interviews first before a short tour and a lunch, then they were done around 1-2ish. The second group had to arrive around noon and started with the tour and lunch, then finished with the interviews ending around 4:30ish.

So if they told me to arrive at 7:45 AM I should be done around 2?
Also is the lunch part of the evaluation?

Can someone who has already has an interview comment on what the schedule is like? I know I am supposed to get to Admissions by 11:45 but what long does the interview day take?

Can someone who has already has an interview comment on what the schedule is like? I know I am supposed to get to Admissions by 11:45 but what long does the interview day take?

I think I remember being done at about 5:15 PM (or a little after then).

So if they told me to arrive at 7:45 AM I should be done around 2?
Also is the lunch part of the evaluation?

I had the same interview time, we had lunch at 12:30pm and were basically done by 1:30, if you are flying out and picking up luggage from the admissions office you should take that into account when estimating departure time. I do not think that lunch is part of the evaluation per se but I'd still be on my best behavior since the admin coordinator and other counselors join you/give a brief talk during lunch. Good luck! :luck:

Also, the MMIs are not as scary as I thought and the interviewers, like others have mentioned, are very friendly.

can anyone give some insight as to what went down at the social?

can anyone give some insight as to what went down at the social?

Sure, during mine there were only 2 interviewees and ~8 medical students from all years. They were super friendly and seemed very happy. In general, I think that the social is UCLA's version of the Q&A student panel. I learned way more during the social than during the tour. I guess mainly because the tour was given by MSIs and the social included MSIIIs and MSIVs (some that are in the middle of their residency interviews). I am glad that I attended and I highly recommend it f your are looking for more insight into the school. :luck:

Last edited:
If I have an afternoon interview (so I guess I'll be done around 5:15), is it do-able to take the FlyAway shuttle from campus to LAX for a flight at 8:20?

I am kind of confused by the picture instructions on the interview invite. It said 1.5 x 2.5 inches, i.e. 215 x 253 pixels....aren't those different things? the proportions are not equal. Which did people upload?

I am kind of confused by the picture instructions on the interview invite. It said 1.5 x 2.5 inches, i.e. 215 x 253 pixels....aren't those different things? the proportions are not equal. Which did people upload?

I used the pixel info. I uploaded a picture from my camera onto my computer, then edited it with Microsoft Picture manager (cropped and resized to 215 x 253). Other than that, I'm not sure.

Also, in regards to transcripts. Does anyone know when we should send them in by? My Fall quarter is over in December and final grades will be available at the end of December, but my interview is in November. What do they actually want to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.