2012-2013 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow I cant believe it! OOS II

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the II's!
When were you guys complete?

Hey guys. Do most people who apply to UCLA apply to Drew as well? I was using a 2009-10 MSAR to pick my school choices and Drew wasn't in there, so I essentially overlooked it, and am now wondering if it's worth applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. Do most people who apply to UCLA apply to Drew as well? I was using a 2009-10 MSAR to pick my school choices and Drew wasn't in there, so I essentially overlooked it, and am now wondering if it's worth applying.

Drew is a program that combines the Charles Drew University mission of serving the underserved with the pre-clinical training done at UCLA and then clinical rotations done at locations that fit the mission of the program. If you are interested in working with the underserved, then you should apply. It is in the AMCAS drop down school selection list but I don't believe it is in the MSAR. Class size is about 25 so it is highly competitive though.

There is a school specific thread on here for Drew if you want to read through it first. :luck:

I'm from LA and I applied to both. I think it's worth it if you really want to be in LA and are interested in working in some of the grittier/rougher areas of LA. UCLA is in Westwood, which is surrounded by some of the most upscale/nicer parts of LA. Drew is essentially in South Central LA, which is near Compton/Inglewood/South Gate

Anybody know how strict the statistics requirement is? I just realized I don't have stats and didn't include that I intend to take ever on my app. I do have a year of math through linear algebra and differential equations. Would I be able to petition out of the statistics requirement?

Also, anybody know why they want your transcript when they interview you if they have the AMCAS grades?

Anybody know how strict the statistics requirement is? I just realized I don't have stats and didn't include that I intend to take ever on my app. I do have a year of math through linear algebra and differential equations. Would I be able to petition out of the statistics requirement?

Also, anybody know why they want your transcript when they interview you if they have the AMCAS grades?

I don't know about their leniency on the statistics requirement...

But for the transcript, you actually don't have to send it before the interview. You can send it whenever you want to or are able to. That's what Lily, the coordinator, told us on my interview day. I won't be sending mine right away since I still am finishing up a required course.

I'm an OOS applicant and was invited for an interview yesterday afternoon! I'm shocked as UCLA Geffen is my top choice, and I thought it was only a dream school since my MCAT is not quite as competitive as others -- 27N. Would anyone happen to know how many are interviewed and how many are accepted?

Congratulations to you all and best of luck with the application cycle!

I don't know about their leniency on the statistics requirement...

But for the transcript, you actually don't have to send it before the interview. You can send it whenever you want to or are able to. That's what Lily, the coordinator, told us on my interview day. I won't be sending mine right away since I still am finishing up a required course.

How'd the MMI go? Any advice?

I'm an OOS applicant and was invited for an interview yesterday afternoon! I'm shocked as UCLA Geffen is my top choice, and I thought it was only a dream school since my MCAT is not quite as competitive as others -- 27N. Would anyone happen to know how many are interviewed and how many are accepted?

Congratulations to you all and best of luck with the application cycle!

Wow, that's amazing. Gives me hope as another OOS applicant :luck: When were you complete? Are you by any chance a URM? Congratulations! UCLA is my dream school as well :love:

How'd the MMI go? Any advice?

I think the MMI went very well. I mostly enjoyed it. It really was not difficult. I've heard ppl compare the MMI to a game, and I think that's a pretty good comparison. They had us sign a confidentiality agreement so I can't talk about the content or interviewers. But just be yourself and be relaxed. I'm sorry that I can't share more!

Wow, that's amazing. Gives me hope as another OOS applicant :luck: When were you complete? Are you by any chance a URM? Congratulations! UCLA is my dream school as well :love:

I just wanted to make sure I posted this here because I know how much it would encourage others :)

I received my secondary on 7/29 and completed it on 8/2. My letters were verified a few days later, and so I think everything was finished on 8/7. And yes, I am a URM.

Best of luck to you! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
They said to send our official transcripts as soon as possible. Do they want that before/for the interview?

I'm also curious about this. I just submitted the interview request form and it said to send official transcripts. Do these need to be sent in before the interview? If so, did you guys use the 12-105 Center for Health Sciences Box 957035 address? (I have a kind of complicated educational history and had to send in 6 different transcripts to AMCAS, so wondering if these all need to be sent to UCLA now?)

Thanks!

II this morning!

IS; 37 MCAT, 3.5 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA; Complete 9/14

First invite of the cycle from my alma mater - what a feeling. :p

I'm also curious about this. I just submitted the interview request form and it said to send official transcripts. Do these need to be sent in before the interview? If so, did you guys use the 12-105 Center for Health Sciences Box 957035 address? (I have a kind of complicated educational history and had to send in 6 different transcripts to AMCAS, so wondering if these all need to be sent to UCLA now?)

Thanks!

I will quote myself to answer your question, douladoc. :)

for the transcript, you actually don't have to send it before the interview. You can send it whenever you want to or are able to. That's what Lily, the coordinator, told us on my interview day. I won't be sending mine right away since I still am finishing up a required course.

How does everyone from the East Coast plan on getting to UCLA? Any current residents have travel advice? How far is DGSOM from LAX?

How does everyone from the East Coast plan on getting to UCLA? Any current residents have travel advice? How far is DGSOM from LAX?

DGSOM is about anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 hour up the freeway from LAX (depending on time of day / traffic). LA also has pretty terrible public transport, although it is something they're working on, so unless you can get picked up by someone from the airport, I would recommend taking a group shuttle to the school, or renting a car. Most people get around by car out here so it may be useful to also explore the city with if you have some free time.

Hope that helps.

Unfortunately, I think the statistics requirement is strict. I called admissions asking about it, and they said you have to have finished taking a stats class by the time UCLA starts in the fall (and if you haven't mentioned taking stats on your application, you're supposed to contact them by email saying that you intend to take a stats class somewhere this year). I was pretty bummed when I found out about that... looks like I'll be signing up for (and paying for =P) a stats class this spring even though I've already graduated from college. It's hard to believe that if they accept you or me, they'll actually make our acceptance contingent on finishing a stats class, but that's what they're leading us to believe.

And

The FlyAway shuttle (linked) looks like a good option for getting from LAX to DGSOM and back. I've never taken it, though... can anyone comment?

Either rent a car or call ahead for cabs to get from your hotel to the school. I interview this Friday, and I'm driving from near LA, so I could potentially pick people up if you aren't out of the way.

Last edited:
any interviews lately? been complete since 8/11. Silent rejection, perhaps?!

I think it's waaaay too early to think that right now. They just started interviews 2-3 weeks ago (and most of the people in the first 2 weeks were close to L.A.) They still should have many more interviews to offer.

I think it's waaaay too early to think that right now. They just started interviews 2-3 weeks ago (and most of the people in the first 2 weeks were close to L.A.) They still should have many more interviews to offer.

I have seen a few OOSers get IIs. That being said I hope you're right as this is my top choice...UCLA y u no love me??!?

Nah, don't think so. So far I think only a few people on this thread that have received interviews were complete in September. But I think the recent trend is most are from late July to (early) August.

Is anyone interviewing on/around November 21st?

Interviewing Nov 29.

II after so many holds and rejections. Gives me hope :)

AAANNNNNNND the neuroticism sets in for UCLA....For all of us who finally started to relax, then comes along schools who offer the first round of interviews later in the cycle. :)

You know it. I pretty much know the results of all the other schools I applied to and UCLA is dragging its feet, hahahha.

You know it. I pretty much know the results of all the other schools I applied to and UCLA is dragging its feet, hahahha.

wish I did.. I'm still at the beginning of the cycle.. I only know results from 2 of 18 :(

wish I did.. I'm still at the beginning of the cycle.. I only know results from 2 of 18 :(

Dont worry, bear, with all that research you'll be fine :). Plus, I meant rejected vs. interview for me, I don't have any acceptances... yet :xf: :).

Haha, I was surprised too! Didn't they already have a few interviews already? At least it gives me something to look forward to :)

Yeah, they did. I guess I'm surprised because they seem to be quickly filling up their schedule, and it was my understanding that interviews took place not long after the invite is sent (at UCLA). Maybe that was more for the first few weeks of invites... GL to you on yours, Africaaa!

Yeah, they did. I guess I'm surprised because they seem to be quickly filling up their schedule, and it was my understanding that interviews took place not long after the invite is sent (at UCLA). Maybe that was more for the first few weeks of invites... GL to you on yours, Africaaa!

I'm so honored they even looked at my application, so I'm fine with ANY date they give me hahaha. UCLA is certainly a dream school, but I'm certainly not going to get my hopes up. Best of luck to you too, g-money :luck:

I can't seem to find this anywhere, but does anyone know roughly how many applicants apply each year, how many secondaries they send out, and how many interviews they give out?

I can find these information for most of the other UC schools like UCSF, UCI, UCSD but not this one..and UC Davis.

Here are last year's numbers per the MSAR:

IS: applicants = 5522, interviews = 620
OOS: applicants = 2995, interviews = 226

Couldn't find number of secondaries...

I can't seem to find this anywhere, but does anyone know roughly how many applicants apply each year, how many secondaries they send out, and how many interviews they give out?

I can find these information for most of the other UC schools like UCSF, UCI, UCSD but not this one..and UC Davis.

I'm there on the 21st. Kind of a bummer that they scheduled the evening social for another day, though.

Right?! I was looking forward to it too since we would've have plenty of time to ask the students all about the program. And eat free pizza, which is a nice change from ramen. It's unfortunate that there's one scheduled the week before our interview, and as much as I'd love an excuse to stay in Los Angeles for a week ;) I cannot afford it at this point hahaha. And so I'm flying in all the way from FL the day before. Are you an instate student / familiar with the area?

Here are last year's numbers per the MSAR:

IS: applicants = 5522, interviews = 620
OOS: applicants = 2995, interviews = 226

Couldn't find number of secondaries...

Any chance you'd know how many of those interviewed are accepted? :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.