2012-2013 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right?! I was looking forward to it too since we would've have plenty of time to ask the students all about the program. And eat free pizza, which is a nice change from ramen. It's unfortunate that there's one scheduled the week before our interview, and as much as I'd love an excuse to stay in Los Angeles for a week ;) I cannot afford it at this point hahaha. And so I'm flying in all the way from FL the day before. Are you an instate student / familiar with the area?

Yes, in state. I went to UCLA for undergrad :D

I'll be driving down from NorCal, though I'm not sure what I'm going to do about lodging. Any idea about the student host situation? Clearly, I haven't been very proactive...

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone please post me an email to contact admissions, cant find it anywhere :/

I'll be driving down from NorCal, though I'm not sure what I'm going to do about lodging. Any idea about the student host situation? Clearly, I haven't been very proactive...

Clearly I'm lagging WAY behind as well since I didn't even know of said student host situation :D At least we have more than a month to figure everything out. I'll definitely check that out since it seems to be the better option. That's awesome that you're a UCLA alumni! UCLA was my dream school even for undergrad hahaha. I remember the day I got accepted, I screamed ALL down the hallways of my house, and my parents thought I was being attacked or dying. Unfortunately, I couldn't attend because of how high the tuition was for out-of-state students. I'm so excited to see what UCLA Geffen is all about though :) Are the undergraduate and medical campuses combined or separate?

Members don't see this ad :)

You can go to the official interview invite letter in the status site (I think that you click on invite/the button in front of the "interview" colum) and then click on the host site link located towards the bottom of the page. Then you can enter your info... The med student coordinating host assignments is very nice and responsive. I hope this was not too confusing! :luck:

It's still early from what I know interviews started two weeks ago. There is still hope! =]

I really hope so! I am completely oblivious to the order in which schools screen. Interviews are being reported from some pretty early and pretty recent complete dates and it's getting nerve-racking.

You can go to the official interview invite letter in the status site (I think that you click on invite/the button in front of the "interview" colum) and then click on the host site link located towards the bottom of the page. Then you can enter your info... The med student coordinating host assignments is very nice and responsive. I hope this was not too confusing! :luck:

Thanks for the heads up - I must have been too blown away by the invite to see that particular button :)

Clearly I'm lagging WAY behind as well since I didn't even know of said student host situation :D At least we have more than a month to figure everything out. I'll definitely check that out since it seems to be the better option. That's awesome that you're a UCLA alumni! UCLA was my dream school even for undergrad hahaha. I remember the day I got accepted, I screamed ALL down the hallways of my house, and my parents thought I was being attacked or dying. Unfortunately, I couldn't attend because of how high the tuition was for out-of-state students. I'm so excited to see what UCLA Geffen is all about though :) Are the undergraduate and medical campuses combined or separate?

To the best of my knowledge, both the undergraduate and medical schools are at the Westwood campus. And, boy, what a campus.

I really hope so! I am completely oblivious to the order in which schools screen. Interviews are being reported from some pretty early and pretty recent complete dates and it's getting nerve-racking.

+1. It's really hard to discover any rhyme or reason to this madness, though I keep trying hahahaha. As long as some others that got II's have complete dates around mine, I'm not too worried.

I forget if it was on this thread or another, but someone was talking about how there are perhaps three ADCOMs who make the decision on your app for an II. They all have to meet to decide and/or wait for one or more to vote individually if they can't find time to meet together, so scheduling conflicts can slow it down. Some ADCOMs are probably faster than others.

+1. It's really hard to discover any rhyme or reason to this madness, though I keep trying hahahaha. As long as some others that got II's have complete dates around mine, I'm not too worried.

I forget if it was on this thread or another, but someone was talking about how there are perhaps three ADCOMs who make the decision on your app for an II. They all have to meet to decide and/or wait for one or more to vote individually if they can't find time to meet together, so scheduling conflicts can slow it down. Some ADCOMs are probably faster than others.

When was your secondary complete?

I already scheduled my interview, and when I click to view the official letter saying when my interview was scheduled, there's no link at the bottom for student hosting! All I see is the Evening Social RSVP and a hotel/motel directory. Does anybody know how to find the student hosting site once you've already scheduled your interview??

Interview Invite :zip:

tumblr_maq3miTN0N1r3wlui.gif

I already scheduled my interview, and when I click to view the official letter saying when my interview was scheduled, there's no link at the bottom for student hosting! All I see is the Evening Social RSVP and a hotel/motel directory. Does anybody know how to find the student hosting site once you've already scheduled your interview??

Very strange.... I can still see the link on my letter. Mine is located underneath the hotel/motel directory. You are checking the letter on the satus site right? The link does not appear on the letter that they e-mailed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. Does anyone have any insight as to which days of the week might be more beneficial? (I was thinking along the lines of classes being in session, touring, traffic, etc...) Or does it not matter? Thanks again!

Thanks guys. Does anyone have any insight as to which days of the week might be more beneficial? (I was thinking along the lines of classes being in session, touring, traffic, etc...) Or does it not matter? Thanks again!

I think your safest bet is the middle of the week- Friday is especially bad. LA traffic starts up in the morning around 8AM ending at about 10AM and in the afternoon from 4PM to about 8PM. Congrats, btw. :)

Very strange.... I can still see the link on my letter. Mine is located underneath the hotel/motel directory. You are checking the letter on the satus site right? The link does not appear on the letter that they e-mailed.

Yeah, I'm going to the letter on the status site, and it's not there. I called admissions, and they gave me a Gmail address to write to to ask about a host. I really wish I had that link though :p Can you tell if the link is specific to your application? Or could I use the same link?

II status update or email!?

II status update or email!?

Email notification

Subject: DGSOM at UCLA Interview Request

Dear Fivo aka "The Chosen One" aka "Shonuff",

The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA would like to invite you for an interview in support of your medical school application.

Please go to the Application Status Information website and click on the Requested button to fill out the Interview Date Request Form.

Thank you.

The Admissions Committee

Email notification

Subject: DGSOM at UCLA Interview Request

Dear Fivo aka "The Chosen One" aka "Shonuff",

The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA would like to invite you for an interview in support of your medical school application.

Please go to the Application Status Information website and click on the Requested button to fill out the Interview Date Request Form.

Thank you.

The Admissions Committee

When were you complete?

Grats again!

When were you complete?

Grats again!

I can't say for certain because I had some problems with my app and LORs, but either in the 2nd or 3rd week of September (maybe even the 4th?)

I can't say for certain because I had some problems with my app and LORs, but either in the 2nd or 3rd week of September (maybe even the 4th?)

May I ask your stats? I completed around the same time. I'm really nervous now.

What types of problems with the letters?

Anyone else getting the mysterious "no matching records found" status screen?

I just got an II yesterday, but my log-in works fine right now, if that helps.

And zwander, a no signature, and no letterhead

^ Good to hear.

To anyone that has already interviewed or scheduled their interview day, can you let me know how it works? I already submitted my available days of the week and unavailable dates. How long did it take for them to get back to you with an interview date(s)? Do they give you options and how far out (or soon) do they schedule your interviews?

Thanks

^ Good to hear.

To anyone that has already interviewed or scheduled their interview day, can you let me know how it works? I already submitted my available days of the week and unavailable dates. How long did it take for them to get back to you with an interview date(s)? Do they give you options and how far out (or soon) do they schedule your interviews?

Thanks

I think that it may have taken them ~1 week (3-5 business days or something like that) for them to schedule mine. They say that they will not reschedule the date once one is assigned to you (no options, just one date) but you can call them if there is an emergency. :luck:

Yeah, I'm going to the letter on the status site, and it's not there. I called admissions, and they gave me a Gmail address to write to to ask about a host. I really wish I had that link though :p Can you tell if the link is specific to your application? Or could I use the same link?

I'll PM you.

I think that it may have taken them ~1 week (3-5 business days or something like that) for them to schedule mine. They say that they will not reschedule the date once one is assigned to you (no options, just one date) but you can call them if there is an emergency. :luck:

Oh lawd, wait a minute. They only assign you one date and that's that? I was hoping they would give you like 3 or 4 potential dates :shrug:

Can someone please give me an email address to contact admissions :]?

Oh lawd, wait a minute. They only assign you one date and that's that? I was hoping they would give you like 3 or 4 potential dates :shrug:

Yea, they only give you 1 date, unfortunately. I got an email with my interview date about 5 days before the interview...I don't know how much notice they will give to people who are not locals.

Yea, they only give you 1 date, unfortunately. I got an email with my interview date about 5 days before the interview...I don't know how much notice they will give to people who are not locals.

kpTtT.gif

Wow. I hope I get a longer notice than that.

kpTtT.gif

Wow. I hope I get a longer notice than that.

They responded 2 minutes after I submitted my request, and they've given me a month and a half wait to interview :)

They responded 2 minutes after I submitted my request, and they've given me a month and a half wait to interview :)

I'm glad they gave longer notice to others! :) I live only about 1-2 hours away from UCLA, so that may be why they gave me such short notice.

I know you can get an interview at any point in the year after submitting your secondary, but the same doesn't hold true for getting a secondary, right? If I've been waiting for a secondary since late July, I'm definitely rejected. Anyone object?

I know you can get an interview at any point in the year after submitting your secondary, but the same doesn't hold true for getting a secondary, right? If I've been waiting for a secondary since late July, I'm definitely rejected. Anyone object?

I can confirm, I was UCLA.

But seriously, for now, no news is good news. It's when January and February rolls around, that no news is bad news.

I can confirm, I was UCLA.

But seriously, for now, no news is good news. It's when January and February rolls around, that no news is bad news.

I just did the MMI here yesterday. It was a fun experience. No pressure, just relax like everyone says and think logically and ethically. For OOSers they did mention they start to interview them more around the holidays because it's easier for them to take time off and travel. Out of maybe 16 people 3 were out of state.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

I just did the MMI here yesterday. It was a fun experience. No pressure, just relax like everyone says and think logically and ethically. For OOSers they did mention they start to interview them more around the holidays because it's easier for them to take time off and travel. Out of maybe 16 people 3 were out of state.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Good to hear. Do you mind giving a breakdown of the interview day as far as when it started/ended and what kind of things it entailed? Thank you.

Good to hear. Do you mind giving a breakdown of the interview day as far as when it started/ended and what kind of things it entailed? Thank you.

There were 2 separate groups of 8 interviewing. One group had to arrive early and did their interviews first before a short tour and a lunch, then they were done around 1-2ish. The second group had to arrive around noon and started with the tour and lunch, then finished with the interviews ending around 4:30ish.

lol still no secondary, verified mid july. at least no rejection i guess. would love some love from my alma mater.

Do any current med students or anyone else have a list of hospitals where the 3rd and 4th years rotate (not including electives)?

Do any current med students or anyone else have a list of hospitals where the 3rd and 4th years rotate (not including electives)?

Olive View, VA Sepulveda, Kaiser Sunset, Cedars, Reagan, VA Brentwood, VA Wadsworth, Kaiser West LA, Santa Monica, Harbor, St. Mary

So if you didn't get a secondary by now after you submitted it in early August, it probably means a rejection right?

Olive View, VA Sepulveda, Kaiser Sunset, Cedars, Reagan, VA Brentwood, VA Wadsworth, Kaiser West LA, Santa Monica, Harbor, St. Mary

Thank you :thumbup:

And has anyone attended the nightly social on their interview day? Would you recommend it. I have a lot of work/studying due on my interview day and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the time to stay for the rest of the night. Thanks again!

ucla has been pretty quiet recently. any current students know if all the interview spots for this semester have been filled up? anyone with an ii scheduled for december?

Status
Not open for further replies.