2012-2013 Wright State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:oops: wrong thread--no news here

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is it a two-on-one interview? Are there multiple interviews?

Typically there are two interviews, both one-on-one. One interview is with a faculty member/physician, one with a current medical student. There are exceptions, though.

Typically there are two interviews, both one-on-one. One interview is with a faculty member/physician, one with a current medical student. There are exceptions, though.

Great, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Was not expecting the cab fare to be ~$60 from the airport. Does WSU have an ATM on campus?

they dont invite to interview by email? Only snail mail?
strange...

:confused: They do invite via email.

Been seeing a lot of bright looking interviewers around the school! If any of you have any questions about anything, please feel free to PM me.

Also to anyone still waiting...there is still PLENTY of time left to get an interview. Good luck.

Been seeing a lot of bright looking interviewers around the school! If any of you have any questions about anything, please feel free to PM me.

Also to anyone still waiting...there is still PLENTY of time left to get an interview. Good luck.

I interviewed on Tuesday! Great school, though I did find it a little weird that you guys don't have your own library.

Do you know what their acceptance rate is?

The overall acceptance rate is 5%. Your chances are obviously higher if you are granted an interview but I don't know any official numbers on that.

The only things I didn't like about Wright were no covered parking on campus, no library or gym in the med school building. Small things for sure.

The only things I didn't like about Wright were no covered parking on campus, no library or gym in the med school building. Small things for sure.

Withdrawing app based on this info alone :smuggrin:

Well, to be fair the med school building is <1 minute walk from the undergrad building that has the gym.

Members don't see this ad :)

I find that I spend way too much time in the medical school building anyway...the 30 second walk to the gym is actually quite refreshing :)

I find that I spend way too much time in the medical school building anyway...the 30 second walk to the gym is actually quite refreshing :)

Any feedback on the TBL?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Any feedback on the TBL?

Team Based Learning is really helpful. First and foremost, it gives you a chance to work on more clinical correlation type scenarios with other people, which at least gives us a flavor of what we might eventually see in our third and fourth years. Believe it or not, it actually forces you to study earlier so that you aren't ever really cramming for the final exams. I also find that it gives me an opportunity to get to know my classmates better, which is always an added bonus.

While there might be times where you get frustrated with TBL, it really pays off in the end.

Has anyone who interviewed the week of 10/31 heard anything yet?

does wright send out rejections? or are they just silent?

Congrats! My parents also got the thick envelope today.

in state, 3.85, 29Q. interviewed 9/12

Good luck, guys

according to these previous posts.... I believe acceptances are coming this year via snail mail only...

according to these previous posts.... I believe acceptances are coming this year via snail mail only...

At the interview I vaguely remember them saying that acceptances would be via snail mail

This is what we were told at the interview day too.

At the interview I vaguely remember them saying that acceptances would be via snail mail

At my interview they told us they would notify people of an acceptance via email and then via snail mail. All other decisions are snail mail only though.

I JUST got an email for an invitation for an interview on Friday! Any advice or suggestions? Really nervous as this is where I really want to go!

I JUST got an email for an invitation for an interview on Friday! Any advice or suggestions? Really nervous as this is where I really want to go!

Most chill day ever.

Does anyone know if OOS scholarships exist? If they do exist, Are they mostly need based or merit based?

Thanks!

just withdraw from my interview spot. Cost of attendance very high for OOS. Hope someone here gets my spot.

Almost all OOS matriculants get IS tuition for years 2-4 :confused:

Yup. Stoked about that too. However total cost is still very high.. It's almost the same as Boston University and Boston is way more expensive than Dayton sobim kind of confused about it.

How much is the total cost here, assuming OOS tuition for the first year? And how are they with financial aid?

How much is the total cost here, assuming OOS tuition for the first year? And how are they with financial aid?

Surprisingly high, and I'm not entirely sure what's up with that.. I thought Dayton was a relatively cheap city. Good thing is you can get IS tuition for M2-M4.

Edit: Wait.. I guess what I pulled up online wasn't very accurate.

Here are the numbers that they handout at interview. I'm just going to post OOS for M1, since you can get IS for the rest of the years.

M1
OOS: $71,024 total expenses ($52,705 tuition)
IS: $54,722 total ($36,403)

M2:
Total = $54,227
Tuition = $35,908

M3:
Total = $69,850
Tuition = $47,182

M4:
Total = $71,320
Tuition = $51,300

^

36721j.jpg

Wow, I didn't realize they were that expensive. What kind of aid or scholarships are students offered?

Scholarships are given to M1s. There are definitely some full-tuition/significant scholarships. There are also some smaller <5000 dollar scholarships given out. I don't know exact numbers, though.

Cost of living in Dayton is dirt cheap. You don't have to take out 54,000 for your first year if you are mildly frugal. You can easily get away with taking out 0 grad plus loans. Apartments are also nice and very cheap. Believe me, the cost of attending Wright State will be as low, if not lower, than attending any other US med school (not considering any scholarships).

Surprisingly high, and I'm not entirely sure what's up with that.. I thought Dayton was a relatively cheap city. Good thing is you can get IS tuition for M2-M4.

Edit: Wait.. I guess what I pulled up online wasn't very accurate.

Here are the numbers that they handout at interview. I'm just going to post OOS for M1, since you can get IS for the rest of the years.

M1
OOS: $71,024 total expenses ($52,705 tuition)
IS: $54,722 total ($36,403)

M2:
Total = $54,227
Tuition = $35,908

M3:
Total = $69,850
Tuition = $47,182

M4:
Total = $71,320
Tuition = $51,300
:whoa:

Yea I was surprised too.. BU is about 75k and I'm pretty sure Boston is supposed to be a much more expensive city than Dayton.

I just got the interview invite email! :) I absolutely love this school.

Anybody else gotten an interview recently? When were you complete?

^ I got an invite a few weeks ago and I was complete in mid September if I can recall.

Does anyone know if scheduling an interview in January or February makes a difference here?

Does Wright have nearby housing (apartments or houses) with garage parking? When I interviewed it looked like all parking on campus is uncovered. Is this true?

Does Wright have nearby housing (apartments or houses) with garage parking? When I interviewed it looked like all parking on campus is uncovered. Is this true?

The apartment complexes where most of the med students live around here have an option to pay more per month and have a garage.

All parking on WSU's campus is uncovered lot parking. I don't really see this as an issue / something I ever even thought about though.

^ I got an invite a few weeks ago and I was complete in mid September if I can recall.

Does anyone know if scheduling an interview in January or February makes a difference here?

Anyone with experience care to comment? I need to schedule my interview and my schedule is pretty hectic next quarter. Thanks

The apartment complexes where most of the med students live around here have an option to pay more per month and have a garage.

All parking on WSU's campus is uncovered lot parking. I don't really see this as an issue / something I ever even thought about though.

I love my car. That's why it's an issue for me.

Well I can't setup a tent everyday I drive to school! However if there is housing with garage parking and within walking distance I can deal with that. I'd really prefer to walk to and from school anyway. Saves lots of time.

Well I can't setup a tent everyday I drive to school! However if there is housing with garage parking and within walking distance I can deal with that. I'd really prefer to walk to and from school anyway. Saves lots of time.

There are a good number of apartment complexes within walking distance of school (I don't know about the garage situation there though) on Zinc Road. However, because of that, they are mostly inhabited by undergrads. There are still a fair amount of people from my class who live there though -- it just depends how well you can tolerate a potentially large amount of noise. Some people in my class lived there and hated it, some people thought it was fine. Some that I can think of off the top of my head are Meadowrun, The Highlands, and The Province.

The places where most people live that I was talking about (that I know for sure have a garage option) are Ashton Brooke and Mallard Landing. These aren't within walking distance though since you have to cross over a highway, so you'd have to drive.

Could always get a bicycle as well, ride it to and from while leaving car at apartment. Good for you, easier "parking." But to be completely honest, due to the highly unpredictable nature of our wonderful Ohio weather I wouldn't recommend either of those options. Your car shouldn't get damaged, it is possible but given the lots are somewhat separated from through streets I wouldn't worry too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.