2012-2013 Wright State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could always get a bicycle as well, ride it to and from while leaving car at apartment. Good for you, easier "parking." But to be completely honest, due to the highly unpredictable nature of our wonderful Ohio weather I wouldn't recommend either of those options. Your car shouldn't get damaged, it is possible but given the lots are somewhat separated from through streets I wouldn't worry too much.

Yea I thought about the bicycle option. I'm mainly concerned about hail, though I know it hails pretty infrequently. I guess I've been spoiled with garage parking (home and school) for the past 6 years and I'll ultimately get used to not having a garage to park in all the time.

I do know that the parking situation at BSOM can suck if you don't get there early enough. I'm not an early riser, but I'm also not the type of person who can study at home so I will be needing to go to campus on a daily basis even if only to study.

Members don't see this ad.

Btw how do current (and future) BSOM students feel about the new Dean?

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone who interviewed on 11/13 or that week-ish heard anything yet?

I interviewed the last week of October and heard about 2 weeks ago, if that helps.

Mid October and heard back about 2 weeks ago too.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Did they email you or was it snail mail? and do you by chance remember the day of the week?

Thanks in advance!

They email acceptances, then snail mail your acceptance packet. All other decisions are snail mailed.

When exactly do you get the confirmation email about scheduling your interview?

When exactly do you get the confirmation email about scheduling your interview?

Some people didn't get it at all. I got mine about 10 days before interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
the wait is starting to kill me!! I submitted everything to the school in the middle of October and still nothing...anyone else in this boat?
My parents have even threatened to take away my computer over the holiday b/c i'm obsessively checking it haha! :laugh:

Relax! Wright State Boonshoft School of Medicine is closed until January 2.

the wait is starting to kill me!! I submitted everything to the school in the middle of October and still nothing...anyone else in this boat?
My parents have even threatened to take away my computer over the holiday b/c i'm obsessively checking it haha! :laugh:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Submitted everything in October, and not a peep.

To those who already interviewed here, how was the interview day like? Any material I could use to prepare myself for the interviews? Also, any recommendation for hotels closest to the school?

To those who already interviewed here, how was the interview day like? Any material I could use to prepare myself for the interviews? Also, any recommendation for hotels closest to the school?

The interview day is meant to be very relaxed and surprisingly low stress. I think the best thing to do before you have your interview is get on the website and try and get a feel for BSOM, see what we have to offer, etc. If you know a little about the school your interview day will be more productive for you. Otherwise, just stay calm, and be yourself!

There is a holiday inn directly across from Wright States' campus that is within walking distance if need be.

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/fairborn/fbnpd/hoteldetail

Has anyone been invited to a dinner by a member of the SNMA?

So are there any nearby apartment buildings with garage parking?

The interview day is meant to be very relaxed and surprisingly low stress. I think the best thing to do before you have your interview is get on the website and try and get a feel for BSOM, see what we have to offer, etc. If you know a little about the school your interview day will be more productive for you. Otherwise, just stay calm, and be yourself!

There is a holiday inn directly across from Wright States' campus that is within walking distance if need be.

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/fairborn/fbnpd/hoteldetail

There are a few hotels in the same little complex as the Holiday Inn. I personally stayed at the Hampton Inn. Always had good experiences there.

Cab ride will be expensive though. IIRC, ~$60 from airport to hotel and ~$75 from BSOM to the airport.

So are there any nearby apartment buildings with garage parking?

Yes.

The apartment complexes where most of the med students live around here have an option to pay more per month and have a garage.

The places where most people live that I was talking about (that I know for sure have a garage option) are Ashton Brooke and Mallard Landing. These aren't within walking distance though since you have to cross over a highway, so you'd have to drive.

Has anyone heard anything who interviewed here at WSU on December 5th? Anticipation is killing me!

I just gave up my Jan 16th interview. Hopefully one of you will get it! Good luck.

Did you get an email? I thought that the emails went out on Fridays. Congratulations!

Sure hope you are right. Interviewed on 11/28 and haven't heard back yet.... I have a bad feeling about this.

does that mean that people who interviewed on the 12/12 will hear back next week?

Did anyone from the 11/28 interview group hear back yet

I know it REALLY sucks waiting but don't take it as a sign of anything if you haven't heard back yet. Adcom just gets more and more backed up as time goes on. You can call but they will probably just tell you that you'll hear back soon.

Nope. Nothing in the my email inbox or mailbox. I was giving them a little more time considering they are probably backed up from the holidays (since the holidays this year interrupted two work weeks). Also don't forget we were a huge interviewing group too!

Nope. Nothing in the my email inbox or mailbox. I was giving them a little more time considering they are probably backed up from the holidays (since the holidays this year interrupted two work weeks). Also don't forget we were a huge interviewing group too!
Does adcom review candidates in order of interview date? Someone said they interviewed on 12/5 and heard back this Thursday.:confused:

I have no idea. I also haven't received anything in the mail/email

Does adcom review candidates in order of interview date? Someone said they interviewed on 12/5 and heard back this Thursday.:confused:

I don't know, but they send wait list/rejection decisions via snail mail. They only email people who were accepted.

Did anyone else love trying on a white coat? I'm excited that they put our names on it!

Could you list some other (if there are any) places that med students live? I'm doing some research now and it seems like there are quite a few places (nice ones too!) to live within 2-3 miles of BSOM.

Could you list some other (if there are any) places that med students live? I'm doing some research now and it seems like there are quite a few places (nice ones too!) to live within 2-3 miles of BSOM.

If you search last years thread (and the 2010-2011 one) you should find a fair amount of info.

To get you started:
By far most people live in Ashton Brooke.
Lots of people live in Mallard Landing too.

Other places are The Lofts and The Promenade.

There's also places on zinc road but, as I said, there's also a lot of undergrads there. Some I can think of off the top of my head are The Highlands, The Province, and I forget everything else.

If you search last years thread (and the 2010-2011 one) you should find a fair amount of info.

To get you started:
By far most people live in Ashton Brooke.
Lots of people live in Mallard Landing too.

Other places are The Lofts and The Promenade.

There's also places on zinc road but, as I said, there's also a lot of undergrads there. Some I can think of off the top of my head are The Highlands, The Province, and I forget everything else.

Yea the Highlands is one I found and looks promising. The other two are on golf courses and are also very nice.

How are the roads during winter? Would it be possible to ride a bike to school?

Yea the Highlands is one I found and looks promising. The other two are on golf courses and are also very nice.

How are the roads during winter? Would it be possible to ride a bike to school?

You could ride a bike from the apartments on Zinc. From Mallard and Ashton it would be harder since you have to cross over 675.

You could ride a bike from the apartments on Zinc. From Mallard and Ashton it would be harder since you have to cross over 675.

Lame. I'm trying to avoid driving, but also wanting to not live around undergrads.

Do you have any experience with Mallard/Ashton/Highlands in terms of how difficult it is to get a unit? Like should I be trying to get on a list now or will I probably be ok if I set something up during the second look day.

Lame. I'm trying to avoid driving, but also wanting to not live around undergrads.

Do you have any experience with Mallard/Ashton/Highlands in terms of how difficult it is to get a unit? Like should I be trying to get on a list now or will I probably be ok if I set something up during the second look day.

Yeah, that's just...pretty much impossible here. Living around the undergrads is just a gamble. Some people in my class have not been bothered by it, some found it unbearable and moved after first year.

I live in Mallard and I would say they usually have units available. I think I started figuring out the housing thing in April or May and Ashton Brooke was already on a wait list but Mallard had units available. Your best bet is to just call both places and ask what they think the time around your move in date will look like. Not really sure about the Highlands, I didn't even bother looking there.

Also, if you're not opposed to having a room mate WSU sets up a housing thing that your classmates will post on, but additionally a lot of MS2, 3's, and 4's will post rooms available.

Yeah, that's just...pretty much impossible here. Living around the undergrads is just a gamble. Some people in my class have not been bothered by it, some found it unbearable and moved after first year.

I live in Mallard and I would say they usually have units available. I think I started figuring out the housing thing in April or May and Ashton Brooke was already on a wait list but Mallard had units available. Your best bet is to just call both places and ask what they think the time around your move in date will look like. Not really sure about the Highlands, I didn't even bother looking there.

Also, if you're not opposed to having a room mate WSU sets up a housing thing that your classmates will post on, but additionally a lot of MS2, 3's, and 4's will post rooms available.

Great, thanks for all the info. Any chance you remember around when your second look day was? I haven't heard anything, though Debbie from admissions said we should be hearing about it soon (that was a month ago though).

I live in the Highlands and it hasn't had bad. There are a mix of undergrads as well as families in the complex. To be honest I've had more issues with families than I have with undergrads. It's really easy to bike/walk to school from here.

As for availability I would probably start asking by April or May. Most all of the apartment complexes in the area have the tendency to fill up by early July latest (and at that point you don't have as many options).

Status
Not open for further replies.