2013-2014 APPIC (internship) Phase II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! It definitely was a huge relief. I was basically facing termination from my program since they require completion within a certain number of years, and this was my last year to match.

I find this ethically dubious. In what other job is one terminated based on lack of progress/performance without first being given feedback about how to rectify the performance?

In other words, if you are not given tangible feedback about why you are not matching, how is one suppose to improve the performance in order to complete the requirement?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope it's ok to post here, as it's my husband who is the PhD student
(Clinical psych) and not me. This is our 2nd year of trying, and no match in Phase II. He's ... processing right now.

I need some inside insight here, and I can't extract it from the bleeding wreckage that is my spouse right now, like some sort of vampiric info spider.

Admittedly, he has a black mark against him from his Quals which cost him a year, so he was a year behind applying for internships. When we struck out last year, he went all out in improving his CV: got his dissertation done, got published, expanded his experience, etc. His advisors and the medical staff he works with are baffled as to why he hasn't matched, because he's one of their best in terms of practice.

I'd think it was his interview skills but he had great spontaneous feedback from his interviewers, so that doesn't make sense either.

I assume the black mark is what is screwing him over. Is there anything we can do, or are we pretty much doomed? This was his 7th year, will it just be even worse if we try for a 3rd year? Is there anything that can be done to 'look good' in the
meantime?

To offer some encouragement without being to specific. I had a similar situation. It took me close to eight years to finish up. Normally, AP goes on your transcript as it did mine, but I completed the remediation plan and was back on full status. I was accepted into an APA accredited internship two-years ago and I finished up my degree last year after receiving an extension.

Not only did this affect me but also my family. I had to apply several years before matching. The recent match statistics are improving, so hopefully your husband will still be able to find a site this year, but it most likely won't be APA accredited.

I was fortunate to endure and complete my degree. Unfortunately, some never finish and move on for MS degree licensure and they have successful careers. All of us know that if the doctoral degree was easy, no one would apply for the PhD and realistically no one would put themselves and their family through these sacrifices.

What helped me was engagement in a three-year individual psychotherapy process to open up many blind spots I was not aware of and allow me to stop sabotaging my reaching my goals.

Last edited:
I find this ethically dubious. In what other job is one terminated based on lack of progress/performance without first being given feedback about how to rectify the performance?

In other words, if you are not given tangible feedback about why you are not matching, how is one suppose to improve the performance in order to complete the requirement?

One of the many, many questions I've been asking myself for the last year and a half, as I tried desperately to match. Thankfully I don't have to ask myself those questions anymore, but I know others in the past, and I'm sure some in the future, that went through the same problem I did in our program. Short answer is that they want their students to move along the program as quickly as possible, knowing full well about the problems with matching.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am getting really scared reading these posts about people who did not match two years or more in a row. I do not think that has ever happened to anyone in my program, but I do not want to be the first. I received feedback from two sites that I interviewed at in phase I and they both said that I was a strong candidate and was ranked. It is hard to tell if they are being honest or just tell everyone that. I did several monk interviews, and my biggest feedback was to use more examples and be more specific. I worked really hard on that for my phase ii interviews, but clearly did not have any success. Did you think it would be worth it to take a class on interviewing skills if there is such a thing?

I am getting really scared reading these posts about people who did not match two years or more in a row. I do not think that has ever happened to anyone in my program, but I do not want to be the first. I received feedback from two sites that I interviewed at in phase I and they both said that I was a strong candidate and was ranked. It is hard to tell if they are being honest or just tell everyone that. I did several monk interviews, and my biggest feedback was to use more examples and be more specific. I worked really hard on that for my phase ii interviews, but clearly did not have any success. Did you think it would be worth it to take a class on interviewing skills if there is such a thing?

Unless you percieve gross deficits in social ability or manners, then no, I wouldn't bother. Dont make it more complicated than it needs to be.

There are a range of people and personalities that match every year. You really need to be yourself. Polite and know how to talk about EBTs (at most places), your career goals, and your areas of interests. This is something most of you have done many times over by your late 20s/early 30s.

To offer some encouragement without being to specific. I had a similar situation. It took me close to eight years to finish up. Normally, AP goes on your transcript as it did mine, but I completed the remediation plan and was back on full status. I was accepted into an APA accredited internship two-years ago and I finished up my degree last year after receiving an extension.

Not only did this affect me but also my family. I had to apply several years before matching. The recent match statistics are improving, so hopefully your husband will still be able to find a site this year, but it most likely won't be APA accredited.

I was fortunate to endure and complete my degree. Unfortunately, some never finish and move on for MS degree licensure and they have successful careers. All of us know that if the doctoral degree was easy, no one would apply for the PhD and realistically no one would put themselves and their family through these sacrifices.

What helped me was engagement in a three-year individual psychotherapy process to open up many blind spots I was not aware of and allow me to stop sabotaging my reaching my goals.

Thanks for this, I wish you could give him this advice directly.

By 'returned to full status' do you mean just the AP lifted, or was it stricken from your record? In his case, the AP was lifted almost immediately because he just had to resubmit his Quals with the corrections made, but it's still on his transcript.

Fall of this year would be Year 8 - do you think there is still a chance that he could get matched next year?

And on the bolded part - I have been urging him for years to take his own advice and seek counselling to maintain his mental health. I totally agree.

One of the many, many questions I've been asking myself for the last year and a half, as I tried desperately to match.

Well, I am very curious about why no one has really pushed this issue though. Our profession is so obsessed with feedback and evaluation, yet the one barrier that most run into generally provides the applicant with no performance feedback. To me, its akin to recieving a poor performance evaulation in the real world, but then not being told what you did wrong. The average worker would be up in arms if this happened, wouldn't they?

Last edited:
Thanks for this, I wish you could give him this advice directly.

By 'returned to full status' do you mean just the AP lifted, or was it stricken from your record? In his case, the AP was lifted almost immediately because he just had to resubmit his Quals with the corrections made, but it's still on his transcript.

Fall of this year would be Year 8 - do you think there is still a chance that he could get matched next year?

And on the bolded part - I have been urging him for years to take his own advice and seek counselling to maintain his mental health. I totally agree.

It does not say AP but I had a F in one course and I had to re-take the course. I made an A when I took the course over as it was only offered during summer semester. Also, I had to take a remediation practicum with supervision by a faculty member and I had to complete assignments or be supervised weekly in what was called pre-practicum. It put me back a year and it was suggested that psychotherapy may be helpful but it was not required. My situation was that I needed to re-focus my priorities.

I had to withdraw from internship application that year to do the remediation. In hindsight it turned out to be a good thing. Although I was a mess at the time, it made me re-evaluate my goals as well as my current level of functioning.

I believe most students match when they apply for the third time. Some students develop their own internship with approval of the DCT and licensing board. Some students take a leave of absence. To work through their life situation.

It seems that your husband has completed everything except internship. I know of a fellow student who did not match two years in a row and he just had to take one hour per semester to reapply for internship his third year. He matched his third year. Your husband may be doing every thing right but due to the shortage of internships, some 800 students do not match each year.

Last edited:
Unless you percieve gross deficits in social ability or manners, then no, I wouldn't bother. Dont make it more complicated than it needs to be.

There are a range of people and personalities that match every year. You really need to be yourself. Polite and know how to talk about EBTs (at most places), your career goals, and your areas of interests. This is something most of you have done many times over by your late 20s/early 30s.

I do not perceive any major deficits and am a very likable person, but was told (by a mock interviewer) that I need to be more specific and less brief in my responses. What would be the best way to improve upon this? I feel like it becomes more pronounced in anxiety provoking situations, such as interviews, but I do not want to overcompensate and blabber.

I strongly value evidence based practice and research and talked about this at my interviews. A friend of mine who goes to another school, which is very psychodynamic, ended up matching at my number one, which is evidence/CBT focused. This shocked me because she told me that she sold herself by saying that she wants more CBT experience (and currently has none). She is also bilingual, which is super marketable.

I just want to find ways in which I could improve so the same thing does not happen next year.

Yes, that "you guys can fill this gap in my training" thing probably did fullfill the "fit factor" for that site. I always encourage people to talk about their training gaps whenever they can and how the site can serve/fullfill those.

I do not have any magic words or suggestions. All I did was talk about SEC basketball with the service chief at the place I ended up matching several years ago. Not necessarily recommended, but I think it does helps to know college hoops.

Last edited:
It does not say AP but I had a F in one course and I had to re-take the course. Also, I had to take a remediation practicum with supervision by a faculty member and I had to complete assignments or be supervised weekly in what was called pre-practicum. It put me back a year and it was suggested that psychotherapy may be helpful but it was not required. My situation was that I needed to re-focus my priorities.

I had to withdraw from internship application that year to do the remediation. In hindsight it turned out to be a good thing. Although I was a mess at the time, it made me re-evaluate my goals as well as my current level of functioning.

So essentially, we're stuck with that AP. Are we doomed?

No you are not doomed. He needs to re-apply during the post match vacancy and/or reapply next year. This is a long process...he will have to do one or two more years postdoctoral supervision before awarding of full licensure. He just needs to stay the course since all he needs is his predoctoral internship.

For what it's worth, I also have an AP in my transcript and I just matched today. My AP was also lifted relatively quickly, but I do believe that having the AP limited the number of interviews I got and it's probably the reason it took me 2 years to match. However, it's possible to match with AP in your transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
To those of you who matched, congrats! To these who didn't, the imbalance is awful, and it screws over strong applicants every year, just by the numbers game alone. It's not at all fair, and it sucks.

To those of you going through Clearinghouse/Phase III, I'd be very wary of taking a non-APA site--with the possible exception of a new VA site--under the pressure to just match somewhere and be done. While many, many APPIC sites offer very good training and many people build solid careers from them, going to a non-APA site has career-long consequences that you can never rectify, no matter how talented and qualified you are. It will shut some professional doors for you, and it would suck to realize one or five or ten years down the road to realize that you want to go through one of those doors but will be permanently shut out by one year of training, because that's the rules. Just my $.02 of caution, FWIW.

Reactions: 1 users
I do not perceive any major deficits and am a very likable person, but was told (by a mock interviewer) that I need to be more specific and less brief in my responses. What would be the best way to improve upon this? I feel like it becomes more pronounced in anxiety provoking situations, such as interviews, but I do not want to overcompensate and blabber.

I strongly value evidence based practice and research and talked about this at my interviews. A friend of mine who goes to another school, which is very psychodynamic, ended up matching at my number one, which is evidence/CBT focused. This shocked me because she told me that she sold herself by saying that she wants more CBT experience (and currently has none). She is also bilingual, which is super marketable.

I just want to find ways in which I could improve so the same thing does not happen next year.

Being able to bring up specific past examples (rather than general ideas) of things you've accomplished, patients you've assessed/treated, etc., is actually something that'll come in quite handy once you get around to interviewing for jobs, so getting additional practice with it now is a good thing. Honestly, I'd say one of the most important things you can do during interviews is to genuinely sound excited. If you have two applicants who say the exact same thing, but one does it with energy and enthusiasm while the other is fairly subdued, odds are most places will rank the first person just a tiiiiny bit higher. This isn't universal, of course, but I've certainly seen it play into ranking decisions.

Try not to worry about the "blabber," either. If you go through another mock interview or two, let yourself run wild, and then let the interviewer tell you if they thought you essentially talked too much.

And always have in the back of your head a small handful of things (maybe 4-6) about yourself, your training, and your goals that you really want these sites (or, in the future, potential employers) to know about you. During interviews, find ways to tie their questions and your subsequent answers back to these points. During my internship interviews, for example, I felt that my breadth of training experiences and patient populations with whom I'd worked was an advantage, as was the fact that I was often the only neuropsych person in the area, so I worked these points into my answers as much as was possible, while also tying it all in to the types of rotations and patients I'd likely be able to see at each site that would help round out my training.

Reactions: 2 users
No you are not doomed. He needs to re-apply during the post match vacancy and/or reapply next year. This is a long process...he will have to do one or two more years postdoctoral supervision before awarding of full licensure. He just needs to stay the course since all he needs is his predoctoral internship.

So you think it's worth trying a 3rd year? I was under the impression that his advisors thought the length of time it has taken him to do his degree (thanks to the Quals delay) is counting against him, so wouldn't it be even worse if it's yet another year later? I'm not asking rhetorically, I genuinely have no idea.

I believe one thing that is *defnitely* helpful for those wanting to land a good, preferrably APA-accredited internship, is to join your state psychological association and become active wtihin it. Get on the listserv, go the convention (most have them 1-2x a year). Persons who are on the internship selection committess are also on the listservs and conventions and when they see you online or in person, they are already familiar with you. This will definitely give youan edge up when it comes to landing a position

Finally spoke to my DCT this afternoon when I thought I could get through the conversation without losing it. I'm not sure what I was hoping for, but he essentially read me the same text from the PMVS web site. He advised against applying to non-accredited sites, but alums from my school have generally done well with APPIC. I do hate the thought, though, that something like that could cause a problem down the line, especially since I don't want to go into private practice.

Hello All. Congratulations to all those Phase II survivors that Matched!:banana:

My heart goes out to everyone who was not secured a spot. Stay strong, confident, and do not give up or settle! This process is insane to say the least. To be honest, I haven't heard 1 training director and/ student that is actually FOR this process.... :eyebrow:

I was very lucky to have matched to a VA in Fl. I was hoping that someone could clarify what it means when a site is considered: Under review (as applicant for “accredited, on contingency” status)? Thank you.

So you think it's worth trying a 3rd year? I was under the impression that his advisors thought the length of time it has taken him to do his degree (thanks to the Quals delay) is counting against him, so wouldn't it be even worse if it's yet another year later? I'm not asking rhetorically, I genuinely have no idea.

I have known others who did not match after two years and they either set up their own internship through the licensing board (unpaid) or they worked a year and reapplied the next year. Your hand are basically tied when you get this far and either you quit or you reapply. I know this Sucks big time... He could study for the EPPP and even pass it to help his application. Under these circumstances he will receive an extension of the time limit.

To digress, on the other hand students have matched and completed internship to never complete their dissertation and some have completed everything but never pass the EPPP.

I recommend psychotherapy and often psychologist will do it pro bono or at a discounted rate. Some psychologist actually specialize with working with doctoral level students in psychology as well as other doctoral level students. Some psychologist even have family therapy as this whole process not only affects the student but also the spouse and children.

Last edited:
Firstly, to all who didn't match, I sincerely wanted to send a message about how sorry I am. This is shocking and upsetting, and I personally know several people who didn't match today who are excellent candidates. I hope that you take whatever time you need to grieve, regroup, and reconnect with what you care about in the field of psychology. Also, for those who did match, congratulations. I know it is hard to celebrate when so many excellent people are hurting... but this is like life. Somehow we manage to contain both joy and grief... and we have the capacity to expand as people in the midst of it.

I wish you all peace and hope, wherever you are in this.

My earlier positive outlook seems to have dissipated.

At least we can look forward to emails asking us to please complete the APPIC match survey - ha ha???? :)

I think there are a few Psych fans on this thread; I stumbled across a list of some of Gus's nicknames and they made me smile: Peter Panic, Felicia Fancybottom, Gus T.T. Showbiz, Ovaltine Jenkins, Nick-Nack, Jazz Hands - and so many, many more. :)

I emailed my DCT first thing this morning with some possibilities I am considering and have not heard back. I'm sure there are many valid explanations why I have not heard back, but for some reason this is adding to my feeling of rejection right now.

My earlier positive outlook seems to have dissipated.

At least we can look forward to emails asking us to please complete the APPIC match survey - ha ha???? :)

I think there are a few Psych fans on this thread; I stumbled across a list of some of Gus's nicknames and they made me smile: Peter Panic, Felicia Fancybottom, Gus T.T. Showbiz, Ovaltine Jenkins, Nick-Nack, Jazz Hands - and so many, many more. :)

I emailed my DCT first thing this morning with some possibilities I am considering and have not heard back. I'm sure there are many valid explanations why I have not heard back, but for some reason this is adding to my feeling of rejection right now.

Sorry that your DCT is being annoying. I am trying to regroup and am waiting to here from an external externship that I applied for. I am not thrilled to have to go through this again since it is such a major time and financial commitment, but it is what it is; an unfair process. Luckily my DCT is being very supportive and wants to help me have a better outcome next year. I began researching sites in different parts of the US so that is a start.

I know someone who matched to a great APA site on their third attempt, so it's definitely possible! I personally matched on my second try this year, but I'm a 7th year (so it'll be year 8 when I start internship). I also felt like I was probably at a disadvantage because of how long it has taken me, but I got a lot of interviews this year and matched at my second choice site, an accredited VA. It's a painful and horrible process, but there's hope!

(edited for spelling)

I see so much disappointment on this thread and it really saddens me. I'm so sorry, truly, to all of you who did not match. I wish I had words of comfort, but when I didn't match last year and in Phase I of this year I just wanted to be allowed to grieve and process. So, take that time and hibernate for a bit if you need to. And know that we are still here to support you.

I see so much disappointment on this thread and it really saddens me. I'm so sorry, truly, to all of you who did not match. I wish I had words of comfort, but when I didn't match last year and in Phase I of this year I just wanted to be allowed to grieve and process. So, take that time and hibernate for a bit if you need to. And know that we are still here to support you.

Sounds like you matched, JennyAnn! If so, congrats! Mind my asking where?

Congrats, JennyAnn4. I was rooting for you. Hopefully some of your luck could rub off on me for phase I this coming application year.

Yes, that "you guys can fill this gap in my training" thing probably did fullfill the "fit factor" for that site. I always encourage people to talk about their training gaps whenever they can and how the site can serve/fullfill those.

One question my former DCT would ask us as reviewers was, "What can our site offer this trainee that would be most beneficial for them in their development?" It is a fine line bc a solid foundation should be present to build upon (e.g. learning Prolonged Exposure Therapy by scaffolding from an existing understanding of behavioral interventions).

I do not have any magic words or suggestions. All I did was talk about SEC basketball with the service chief at the place I ended up matching several years ago. Not necessarily recommended, but I think it does helps to know college hoops.

I talked about (Maurice) Ravel with one of my interviewers, so maybe that helped? :laugh: At the end of the day it is still about training and fit, though being able to provide a bit of context outside of what you studied and how you practice can be helpful.

I was very lucky to have matched to a VA in Fl. I was hoping that someone could clarify what it means when a site is considered: Under review (as applicant for “accredited, on contingency” status)? Thank you.

I believe it is a result of a VA site that are seeking APA-acred. status, but have not yet had an intern class complete the training, so that they can be reviewed for final approval of APA-acred status. A longstanding snag in the APA-acred. process is that at least 1 year of interns needs to complete their training before a site can be APA-acred. In the VA setting it puts those interns in the odd position of training at a VA site, yet not technically coming from an APA-acred. site…so they would not qualify to apply for a VA post-doc and/or apply to a clinical position at a VA. A few years back (maybe 4-5+ years now?) there was a change in the wording to allow students in that position to be eligible to apply to VA jobs, though the student still wouldn't' have qualified as coming from an APA-acred site for outside positions (at universities, hospitals, etc). I believe since then there has been a change to pend APA-acred. status, so that the first intern class isn't at a disadvantage just because they were first.

One question my former DCT would ask us as reviewers was, "What can our site offer this trainee that would be most beneficial for them in their development?" It is a fine line bc a solid foundation should be present to build upon (e.g. learning Prolonged Exposure Therapy by scaffolding from an existing understanding of behavioral interventions).

I talked about (Maurice) Ravel with one of my interviewers, so maybe that helped? :laugh: At the end of the day it is still about training and fit, though being able to provide a bit of context outside of what you studied and how you practice can be helpful.

It seems like you're speaking to a relatablity factor. That is to say, do these training directors, post-docs, interns, etc. think you're someone they want to work with? In one group interview someone asked, "what are you looking for in interns?" And one of the interviewers said, "someone with a good sense of humor that I'm still going to like 3 months in." Just practically speaking you will be working with these people for a year, if the personalities don't fit, it'll be rough for everyone. I know for myself that I wouldn't do well in a super structured, stiff work environment because I value autonomy and humor in the work I do and the relationships I have with directors, supervisors and peers. I'm sure that comes across in the way I respond to questions but I'm also looking for that relatablity in the people who are interviewing me. It seems like some of these interviews are so rigid that they don't leave room for personality, which doesn't make a ton of sense because we have made a profession out of working with people! I don't know if that's at all helpful but it's my 2 cents :)

Congrats, JennyAnn4. I was rooting for you. Hopefully some of your luck could rub off on me for phase I this coming application year.

Thank you, psychrat. That's very kind. I was rooting for you, too. I didn't make a big deal of the fact that I matched because I felt like it was more important for me to support those who didn't match on the forum than to be celebrated. I'm so very sorry that you didn't match. I believe I'm correct in saying that this is your first year in the match? I was there last year and so I can relate to how horrible and disgusted you must feel. Don't let anyone talk you out of feeling that way. Last year I spent a whole weekend licking my wounds, so to speak, and allowing others to support me. Then, once Monday came I regrouped and considered all of my options. I won't give you any unsolicited advice, except for this: please try your best to not internalize the fact that you didn't match. I've been following your posts and it looks like sites ranked you, you were just a victim of this imbalance that haunts our profession. As horrible as that is, it is the reality in our field right now. Please take good care of yourself, and feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk. :)

Sounds like you matched, JennyAnn! If so, congrats! Mind my asking where?

Thank you very much. Congratulations to you, too! I'd rather not say the name of the site, simply because I was stupid enough to make a username that would easily give away my identity! :confused:

Thank you very much. Congratulations to you, too! I'd rather not say the name of the site, simply because I was stupid enough to make a username that would easily give away my identity! :confused:

Totally understand that! Yay for matching though, congrats!!!

Thank you, psychrat. That's very kind. I was rooting for you, too. I didn't make a big deal of the fact that I matched because I felt like it was more important for me to support those who didn't match on the forum than to be celebrated. I'm so very sorry that you didn't match. I believe I'm correct in saying that this is your first year in the match? I was there last year and so I can relate to how horrible and disgusted you must feel. Don't let anyone talk you out of feeling that way. Last year I spent a whole weekend licking my wounds, so to speak, and allowing others to support me. Then, once Monday came I regrouped and considered all of my options. I won't give you any unsolicited advice, except for this: please try your best to not internalize the fact that you didn't match. I've been following your posts and it looks like sites ranked you, you were just a victim of this imbalance that haunts our profession. As horrible as that is, it is the reality in our field right now. Please take good care of yourself, and feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk. :)

Did you do another year of externship/ practicum when you did not match last year?

Therapist4change- what month did you find your internship in the clearinghouse? Was it right after phase I?

Did you do another year of externship/ practicum when you did not match last year?

Yes. I knew I wanted to work with kids with more severe presentations, so I just tried to make it so that, if someone looked at my CV, I couldn't hide that goal. May I ask what your goals are, in terms of what kind of place you would like to do your internship?

I wish match day was on a Friday, it is really hard to get back into the groove of things. I could've used the weekend to adjust to not matching.

Has anyone downloaded your AAPI yet? Any advice for changing the header??

If anyone else runs into the header problem I did with the AAPI, I used PDFescape, and on the "insert" tab used the white out function.

If anyone else runs into the header problem I did with the AAPI, I used PDFescape, and on the "insert" tab used the white out function.

What exactly was the header problem? I just saved the APPI for specific sites that I applied for as PDFs. Is there a better way to do it?

What exactly was the header problem? I just saved the APPI for specific sites that I applied for as PDFs. Is there a better way to do it?

I was using the one I had downloaded to submit to a post-match vacancy, and had to go through each page and "white out" the original site name that I had applied to that appeared in the header. Maybe there is a way to get a generic AAPI, but the instructions didn't seem to indicate that.

I just recently figured this out myself!
Thanks!

Psychrat - log in to your APPI, go to designations, "view basic AAPI" is on the left. I wonder why APPIC gave instructions about picking a submission and deleting the cover letter when we just could have done that? Who knows!

Thanks!

Psychrat - log in to your APPI, go to designations, "view basic AAPI" is on the left. I wonder why APPIC gave instructions about picking a submission and deleting the cover letter when we just could have done that? Who knows!

just did it! Thanks

Any advice on at what point we just accept that it is over and not happening next fall????

Any advice on at what point we just accept that it is over and not happening next fall????
It takes time. Yesterday was better for me but it still stings. Today I started planning what to do over the next year which helps. I just don't like uncertainty.