2013-2014 APPIC (internship) Phase II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any advice on at what point we just accept that it is over and not happening next fall????

I am trying to move on as well, but it makes it difficult when there is a shred of hope that a good APA-internship may open in the post-match vacancy.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It takes time. Yesterday was better for me but it still stings. Today I started planning what to do over the next year which helps. I just don't like uncertainty.

I agree with this - I think it's better for overall mental health if you feel like you'll be doing something next year to improve your chances of matching the second time around. Last year, when it became apparent that I was not going to get any interviews in Phase II and knew I was withdrawing from the match, I got on the ball immediately and found another externship. We're graduate students - we equate planning and action with being in a better, more positive place.

Reactions: 2 users
Question, so I downloaded and saved my APPIC application. However, when other sites ask for my application, e.g. for post-doc, do they just ignore the fact that there is a cover letter on the application? Or is there a way to remove that from the application? I'm not very skilled with changing or altering PDFs, so any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!

Psychrat - log in to your APPI, go to designations, "view basic AAPI" is on the left. I wonder why APPIC gave instructions about picking a submission and deleting the cover letter when we just could have done that? Who knows!

If I remember correctly (I am not looking at it at the moment) but the "view basic appi" choice doesn't have your essays? I don't remember for sure, but I don't think it does.

I just downloaded the basic APPI last night (thanks for the info, everyone!) and it didn't have my essays.

If I remember correctly (I am not looking at it at the moment) but the "view basic appi" choice doesn't have your essays? I don't remember for sure, but I don't think it does.

yep- this Is correct

Last edited:
Question, so I downloaded and saved my APPIC application. However, when other sites ask for my application, e.g. for post-doc, do they just ignore the fact that there is a cover letter on the application? Or is there a way to remove that from the application? I'm not very skilled with changing or altering PDFs, so any help is appreciated!

Me either!!

If you upload one of your submissions that has the cover letter and essays, APPIC had a free program listed on their instructions (that you do not have to download) that allows you to delete pages and make some modifications that you can use to delete the cover letter: http://www.pdfescape.com/account/?expired

If you download the basic APPI as per earlier posts on this thread, you don't have the cover letter (or header) (or essays) to worry about.

Here is a posting for an unaccredited internship:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mar 28, 2014 12:52 AM
Subject: [Division56] Trauma-focused internship slots available at the Fremont Community Therapy Project in Seattle
To: <[email protected]>
Cc:
Hello everyone. The Match is over for this year, which means that many students have matched, and many have also found themselves without a site. I wanted to spread the news about our training program at the Fremont Community Therapy Project (FCTP). We are not an APPIC site, and our stipend is very low. We are, however, an extremely trauma-focused, training-rich program that offers interns an opportunity to develop skills in EMDR, DBT, and working with survivors of complex trauma. We are also very strong in psychological assessment. Interns learn to function in a private practice context with high levels of both autonomy and support. FCTP serves a low-income population and has practicum, internship, and post-doctoral trainees in psychology on our staff.
If you know a student who did not match recently and who might be interested in doing a full-time internship at FCTP, please have them visit our website, www.therapyproject.org/training.php for information about the internship and our application process. We will gladly conduct interviews by Skype with applicants who do not live within driving distance from Seattle. Internships start in July, and we are willing and able to be flexible with trainees to facilitate their presence at FCTP.
Again, applicants need to be interested in a full-time internship only. We are not currently interviewing for any part-time positions.
We hope to have everyone interviewed byApril 20, so the sooner people send in their completed applications, the better.
Thanks!
Samantha Slaughter, PsyD
www.drsamanthaslaughter.com
Private Practice, Seattle, WA
Assistant Director, Fremont Community Therapy Project
Federal Advocacy Coordinator, Washington State Psychological Association
Member, Board of Trustees, Washington State Psychological Association

I am so sick of getting screwed. I went for an externship interview the Monday before Match Day II (figuring it would be good to start looking for an externship early just in case I do not match). The interview went very well, and I was told that everything looked good on my end, but she (the interviewer) had to figure out how the process worked since I applied after the original externship application date. I was told that they have three spots still available. The interviewer told me that she would contact me by the evening of the day I interviewed to let me know what she heard. I did not hear from her that evening, so I sent a thank you email the next day, a follow-up email a week later, and another follow-up email last night. I FINALLY heard from her today, and her email was short and said, “I am sorry we cannot offer you an externship slot at this time.” I wish she told me sooner because now almost all of the externships in my area are full. I feel so disappointed and feel like I was led on the way she was like, everything looks good on your end and how she just has to see how it works to hire someone after the original deadline. Sigh. Now I feel like an externship failure too.

I am so sick of getting screwed. I went for an externship interview the Monday before Match Day II (figuring it would be good to start looking for an externship early just in case I do not match). The interview went very well, and I was told that everything looked good on my end, but she (the interviewer) had to figure out how the process worked since I applied after the original externship application date. I was told that they have three spots still available. The interviewer told me that she would contact me by the evening of the day I interviewed to let me know what she heard. I did not hear from her that evening, so I sent a thank you email the next day, a follow-up email a week later, and another follow-up email last night. I FINALLY heard from her today, and her email was short and said, “I am sorry we cannot offer you an externship slot at this time.” I wish she told me sooner because now almost all of the externships in my area are full. I feel so disappointed and feel like I was led on the way she was like, everything looks good on your end and how she just has to see how it works to hire someone after the original deadline. Sigh. Now I feel like an externship failure too.

I'm so sorry, psychrat. That's just adding insult to injury and sounds rather unprofessional on the part of the site. Can you possibly get an adjunct position through your department or through a local CC or technical school?

I'm sorry! That is really horrible. I kind of feel like we as the people who didn't match are the "step kids" where people acknowledge that we are there but no body is that concerned with what happens to us. Luckily there is only 1 clinical program is this middle sized city so competition for external practicums are pretty nonexistent. However, I do not get any funding for next year (my first time ever that I will have to take out loans or depend on parents and/or fiancé to financially support me)

I am so so sorry.

I'm so sorry, psychrat. That's just adding insult to injury and sounds rather unprofessional on the part of the site. Can you possibly get an adjunct position through your department or through a local CC or technical school?

I may be able to get online teaching, but as a sixth year that would depend on whether there are any positions left after the younger cohorts get funding.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry! That is really horrible. I kind of feel like we as the people who didn't match are the "step kids" where people acknowledge that we are there but no body is that concerned with what happens to us. Luckily there is only 1 clinical program is this middle sized city so competition for external practicums are pretty nonexistent. However, I do not get any funding for next year (my first time ever that I will have to take out loans or depend on parents and/or fiancé to financially support me)

I am not eligible for departmental funding either. I may be able to make a little bit of money if online teaching positions go in filled, but that is really nothing to depend on. The externship that screwed me had a stipend of 6000 per year so that would have helped.

I feel like something very similar happened to me. The interview was the week before Match Day, and she asked me if I really wanted to do another externship and said that from my CV, I looked like I would be competitive for internship. I'm not actually super excited about doing another externship, but I mustered as much enthusiasm as I could, and explained that I had actually applied for internship and not matched, so I was trying to fill in holes in my training and was excited to gain experience in an integrated primary care setting. Then she told me I'd hear that day. Then nothing. The next day, I sent a follow-up email to thank her. Then when I did not match, I emailed again to follow-up, and she finally got back to me the day after match that she decided to "go with another student who she thought would be a slightly better fit." I honestly think she didn't want me just because maybe I'm a little tired of doing externships.... it's hard to push through at this point. Fortunately, I applied for one other position that I still have an interview for, but mostly, places are filling up here and it would really only be beneficial to me to do a few very specific types of externships at this point. I hope something can still work out for you. This process sucks.

I feel like something very similar happened to me. The interview was the week before Match Day, and she asked me if I really wanted to do another externship and said that from my CV, I looked like I would be competitive for internship. I'm not actually super excited about doing another externship, but I mustered as much enthusiasm as I could, and explained that I had actually applied for internship and not matched, so I was trying to fill in holes in my training and was excited to gain experience in an integrated primary care setting. Then she told me I'd hear that day. Then nothing. The next day, I sent a follow-up email to thank her. Then when I did not match, I emailed again to follow-up, and she finally got back to me the day after match that she decided to "go with another student who she thought would be a slightly better fit." I honestly think she didn't want me just because maybe I'm a little tired of doing externships.... it's hard to push through at this point. Fortunately, I applied for one other position that I still have an interview for, but mostly, places are filling up here and it would really only be beneficial to me to do a few very specific types of externships at this point. I hope something can still work out for you. This process sucks.

It is tough because the whole point of externship is still fill in holes in your training. That is what I was trying to do by applying to an inpatient hospital, but a lot of these sites seem to want experience

It is tough because the whole point of externship is still fill in holes in your training. That is what I was trying to do by applying to an inpatient hospital, but a lot of these sites seem to want experience

Yeah, it seems kind of ridiculous at this stage in the game. They should be willing to provide actual training. Isn't that the point of being a student?! To get training. I'm getting tired of being expected to know everything already, working for free, and having people bill off my master's level license. It feels like indentured servitude... with no clear end in sight.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys feel like failures? Sometimes I feel like I won't be successful anymore because of all this.

Do you guys feel like failures? Sometimes I feel like I won't be successful anymore because of all this.
Yes. And I find myself feeling like I am begging for leftover crumbs that I still have to fight for.

I definitely felt like this last year. People who match the first time around simply cannot relate to the insult that is not matching. What helped me get through it was to seek support from my supervisors. Family, God love them, think we're the greatest thing since sliced bread all the time. But supervisors, no... they're not required by genetics to give us positive feedback. It kind of grounds you to hear how highly you are thought of by people who have spent the year or more with you. When you compare that to that horrendous email telling you that you didn't match, which is the product of hour long interviews, it's clear which feedback really reflects your skills.

Yes. And I find myself feeling like I am begging for leftover crumbs that I still have to fight for.

I'm so sorry. I felt this way when I took my "extra" externship last year. Even though it was a decent match for me, I had geared myself up to move on to internship and didn't want to stagnate. Right now it's so raw because the match just passed. At some point I accepted that I was on externship, yet again, and tried to make the best of it.

I'm so sorry. I felt this way when I took my "extra" externship last year. Even though it was a decent match for me, I had geared myself up to move on to internship and didn't want to stagnate. Right now it's so raw because the match just passed. At some point I accepted that I was on externship, yet again, and tried to make the best of it.

So you matched your second year? How did you feel doing it again? What did you change?

I definitely felt like this last year. People who match the first time around simply cannot relate to the insult that is not matching. What helped me get through it was to seek support from my supervisors. Family, God love them, think we're the greatest thing since sliced bread all the time. But supervisors, no... they're not required by genetics to give us positive feedback. It kind of grounds you to hear how highly you are thought of by people who have spent the year or more with you. When you compare that to that horrendous email telling you that you didn't match, which is the product of hour long interviews, it's clear which feedback really reflects your skills.

I understand, but I can't help I'm lacking something all the accepted applicants possess. I can't help thinking everyone is wondering what is wrong with me or are judging me for not matching.

Yes. My self esteem tanked and I keep replaying all of my interview in my head to figure out where I went wrong.

You guys are talking as if you were "eliminated".... as if they were interviewing you alone. In reality, you are ranked and who "wins" was lucky on that day. Its just like grad school admissions, if your participated in that, you know you had many,many strong candidates that were a good fit and would have done well in your program. Nevertheles, choices and ranks have to made.

Last edited:
I agree with erg923. Remember Phase II folks, we all went into this process on equal footing, and it was (in some ways) the "luck of the draw." This may not help how any of you feel that will be tackling this Gosh-forsaken process next year, but you must mourn this loss and move on to preserve your ego-strength.

If I could ponder on any individual factors that helped strengthen my outcome in the match, I'd have to weigh 'networking' as a significant factor. I received interviews at sites where my program has had interns year after year. Many internship directors were on first-name basis with my DOT and some internship directors/interviewers were graduates of my program. Also, I had a friend (and former intern) put in a good word for me at my #1 (and only the #1 ranked) site (...incidentally, no APPIC rules were violated, no one ever eluded to my rank order - it was more of an expression that my interests align clearly with the site's training goals/outcomes, so heads-up if they liked what they saw after interviewing me). So, on your next round covet the sites where your program have had representation year after year.

Sure, there were other individual factors involved (of course) that most likely weighed-in stronger, but if I could think of something anyone can do to increase their likelihood of matching, it is the networking component and to covet past sites from your program's graduates.

I'm sad to hear some of you did not match this year, but I certainly don't think less of any of you. So I have to write it off as the imbalance and will continue to regard your opinions on SDN regardless of whether you matched this year or not.

*Big Psychic Hug* and *Virtual Cheers* to your resilience, past efforts, and future endeavors. ;)

Last edited:
So you matched your second year? How did you feel doing it again? What did you change?

Yes, I matched in Phase II of this year. And honestly, I sort of feel like my matching was just as unlikely as hitting the lottery. Time for some real self disclosure: in the three times I have participated in the match (Phase I of last year and Phase I and II of this year), I have never had any more than two interviews. So, I can definitely relate to feeling like there something "wrong" with you. Often, when people don't match their first time around, they have several interviews the second time and match successfully. When I went to see my clients at my school's clinic, I literally would hide from my cohort as best I could, not wanting them to ask me how I was doing in the match. To answer your question, when I first applied, I felt a lot more positive about doing it again. I felt confident that I would get at least four or five interviews, and was pretty hopeful that I would match somewhere. I've mentioned this before but, I did a third externship that really made it so that I could not hide my goals when someone reviewed my CV. I also prepared exhaustively by sending my essays and a cover letter draft back and forth with my advisor like 10 times before actually submitting them to the application. However, I did feel a lot more anxious about the process the second time around, because I felt like, if I wanted to move on with my life at some point in the next couple of years, I was going to need to make some pretty significant sacrifices. For example, I had a non-APA, non-APPIC, non-PAYING internship lined up for myself, and, although it was an amazing internship experience, I was really depressed about the prospect of having to settle in that way.

However, I will share something with you. After I didn't match in Phase I, I spoke with the supervisor of my externship last year. Her site was one of the internship interviews I had had, and one that I had thought went really well. She told me I had been ranked really highly, and that I probably missed the internship by one person. On top of that she was so offended that I didn't match. With her reaction, she inadvertently bolstered my confidence, and I started to think about not matching a little differently. Instead of thinking there was something wrong with me, I started to feel like it really was just the imbalance, and that I had just gotten really unfortunate twice in a row. I applied to my places in Phase II with a different perspective - that I was a strong applicant and deserved these positions. As a result, I was able to perform really well on my interviews, and no one will ever tell me that the change in my confidence was not responsible for the fact that I matched this time around.

I understand, but I can't help I'm lacking something all the accepted applicants possess. I can't help thinking everyone is wondering what is wrong with me or are judging me for not matching.

Point blank, this process is poisonous. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the match itself; in fact, I think that's a great way to avoid selfish applicants holding on to several offers at once, while others of us are waiting desperately to hear. It always goes back to the imbalance. Also, given that I have been involved in the match for two years now, I have observed a lot about the people who match and the people who don't. I can honestly tell you that, short of running a statistical analysis to show differences between the two groups, I have observed absolutely no difference. In fact, some of the people I have seen match were those who put minimal effort into graduate school: the people who went on vacation during every school break, unlike the rest of us who were at our externships, and people who couldn't write a decent paper to save their lives. Similarly, there were some people I thought would have absolutely no problem in the match, and they came out unmatched just like me.

And, if people are judging you for not matching, try your best to ignore them. Anybody who knows anything about this process should know that it does not accurately reflect your skills or desirability as an applicant. Seek support from the people who know that!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It is devastating not to match, especially if you are surrounded by folk who did. But if you let the adversity to the broken system take you down you are letting it win. Gather any support you can, practice those mindfulness techniques, and keep focused on the fact that this is a complex, multivariate system that at the core is NOT personal. There is a multi-factorial process at work and a certain percentage of folks will get excluded each round until homeostasis returns. You indeed, as Jenny pointed out, may have missed multiple opportunities by one person and political factors that are entirely beyond your control may have figured in the process. This is a life circumstance you cannot control and have to radically accept in order to get beyond it to what you need. Grief and anger are emotions that make sense and have to be experienced to resolve; getting stuck there is not good for your own health ultimately and with time there will be a way forward. Comparisons and rumination on past events are not the way out so use any resources you can to focus on your strengths and opportunities ahead.

I agree with erg923. Remember Phase II folks, we all went into this process on equal footing, and it was (in some ways) the "luck of the draw." This may not help how any of you feel that will be tackling this Gosh-forsaken process next year, but you must mourn this loss and move on to preserve your ego-strength.

If I could ponder on any individual factors that helped strengthen my outcome in the match, I'd have to weigh 'networking' as a significant factor. I received interviews at sites where my program has had interns year after year. Many internship directors were on first-name basis with my DOT and some internship directors/interviewers were graduates of my program. Also, I had a friend (and former intern) put in a good word for me at my #1 (and only the #1 ranked) site (...incidentally, no APPIC rules were violated, no one ever eluded to my rank order - it was more of an expression that my interests align clearly with the site's training goals/outcomes, so heads-up if they liked what they saw after interviewing me). So, on your next round covet the sites where your program have had representation year after year.

Sure, there were other individual factors involved (of course) that most likely weighed-in stronger, but if I could think of something anyone can do to increase their likelihood of matching, it is the networking component and to covet past sites from your program's graduates.

I'm sad to hear some of you did not match this year, but I certainly don't think less of any of you. So I have to write it off as the imbalance and will continue to regard your opinions on SDN regardless of whether you matched this year or not.

*Big Psychic Hug* and *Virtual Cheers* to your resilience, past efforts, and future endeavors. ;)

I am going to definitely apply to programs that have taken students from my program before when I apply again. I did not do that this year because I wanted to be in certain states, but at this point, I just want to finish school.

In Phase II my spouse jokingly suggested I submit a snarky cover letter somewhere. I would never do that, but if I did for this round, it would sound something like this....

Dear Post Match Vacancy Z:

While I am aware that this is an exercise in futility due to the large number of still unmatched highly qualified applicants and because I am fairly certain my disgust over the fact that I still find myself crafting tailored cover letters oozes through every line I write, I write you this letter because I find myself unable to let go.

After review I feel your program would be an exceptional fit for me for one reason – you still have a vacancy. I am fortunate in that my program does not require I complete an APA approved internship, so the fact that you are not APA accredited nor is your program an APPIC member is not a problem. That you offer no stipend or a very minimal amount is also not a problem. The fact is at this stage I would be willing to pay YOU to select ME.

If, after review of my attached materials, you wish to discuss my application with me further, I would urge you to do so quickly. I only have six months until I will be starting this process all over again.

Sincerely,

I have failed in the application process this year, but I don't feel like that makes me a failure. Failing at one thing that is really difficult and where the cards are seemingly stacked against us in the first place does not a failure as a trait characteristic make. I frequently wonder why I decided to pursue my PhD originally, and feel like this whole thing may not have been worth it. It is really frustrating to have to be set back a whole year on account of this, and that the skill set to be successful interviewing is not the same as the skill set to be successful as a psychologist, therapist, researcher, but we're going to figure this out and be successful. :)

I wish an interview could really be a better snapshot of what working with me would be like. :/

Yes. My self esteem tanked and I keep replaying all of my interview in my head to figure out where I went wrong.
I honestly feel that I didn't do anything wrong in 3/5 interviews I had in Phase II. I think I was competitive for those sites, but it's just not enough. Have you written to people to try to get feedback? As disheartening as this process has been, I did get very good feedback about my Phase II interviews. Even though knowing I was close to getting a position is heartbreaking, it somehow feels like I am getting closer to figuring out what I need to do to succeed and actually get an internship. Maybe you didn't do anything wrong, but it's just a terrible process.

I honestly feel that I didn't do anything wrong in 3/5 interviews I had in Phase II. I think I was competitive for those sites, but it's just not enough. Have you written to people to try to get feedback? As disheartening as this process has been, I did get very good feedback about my Phase II interviews. Even though knowing I was close to getting a position is heartbreaking, it somehow feels like I am getting closer to figuring out what I need to do to succeed and actually get an internship. Maybe you didn't do anything wrong, but it's just a terrible process.

I wrote in phase I and received some feedback that said I was ranked. Maybe I will write my phase ii interviewers. Did you email them all? What did you say?

I wrote in phase I and received some feedback that said I was ranked. Maybe I will write my phase ii interviewers. Did you email them all? What did you say?
I emailed everyone I talked to in Phase II that I had an email address for. I was a lot more aggressive about trying to get feedback this round, whereas I let a lot go in Phase I, and chalked it up to my anxiety during interviews. I thanked them again for the opportunity to interview with them, and said that unfortunately, I had found out that I did not match in Phase II. I then said I thought I had been a great fit with the site and that my interview with them had gone well. Other than the fact that I knew it was extremely competitive in this round, I was not sure what had led to the current outcome, and I was wondering if they had any feedback about what I could improve for my applications in the Fall. While no one told me where I was ranked given the Match rules, they did give me more information about where I might be loosely. One site actually invited to me to apply there again in the fall. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Not sure if this perspective is helpful, but I've been on both sides of the match outcome. My partner did not match a few years ago in Phase I or II, but I did match to my top APA site in Phase I. The sadness, fear and uncertainty that we experienced were crushing - but we regrouped and my partner took a non-APA, non-APPIC internship. His training was sub-par and he was overworked and underpaid. He also had difficulty finding a good post-doc, so he ended up working at the same site to obtain his post-doc hours.

My partner did, however, work during his post-doc to obtain very specialized training in an area that he wanted to eventually work in by networking and being very tenacious. This training helped him to land his dream job after post-doc - and I am struggling to find a long-term position in the field I want to work in, despite an APA program/accredited internship, NRSA-funded post-doc, and 15+ publications! He has job security, loves going to work, and makes $80+k/year.

I guess my point is that while an APA accredited internship will open up the most doors for you, not taking one isn't necessarily going to close all doors. There is no set pathway for people from APA internships or for those who do not obtain these placements. You are not powerless - but you will just need to be more "scrappy."

Do make sure that you meet the requirements for licensure in your state with whatever internship placement you take (i.e., supervision hours/week, not paying for supervision, research v. clinical hours).

Although I know many sites seem to be looking for this (and I think that is wrong), I would caution against the "more, more, more" notion.

You training program is ultimately responsible for giving you breadth and depth of clinical exposure. The tail end of that I would hope people are starting to tailor to their speific interests and thus to the types of internship programs you will be seeking. So, in that sense, I think it IS important to have experience and for your training to "tell a story" to some degree. Nevertheless, good training programs should probably care little whther you have ever given a "insert instrument name here" or if you have never worked in an acute inpatient psych unit. Its obvioulsy a much bigger deal if you have never seen an adolescent at all before, etc.

Last edited:
I have to say, my story is very similar to JennyAnn4's. I was starting to wonder if we were the same person! I just matched in Phase II of this year, after not matching in either Phase I or II of last year. I applied to about 4 sites in post-vacancy, but I never heard back from any of them. It was around the end of the semester last year when I decided to quit post-vacancy and worry solely on improving my application for this year. Obviously it was crushing when I didn't match Phase I of this year either. However, like JennyAnn said, I spoke with my supervisors and one of them told me something that really stood out. She said that internship is only a blip in the radar of my career. She was also angry and offended that I didn't match, and it really increased my confidence for Phase II. I think it showed on my new cover letters and my interviews.

Also, in case any of you forget to download your AAPIs, last year I actually forgot to download it before they shut down the web-site after Phase II (silly me). However, I e-mailed [email protected] and they sent me my basic AAPI right away.

Advice, stories of others who have gone through this, and perspective is very much appreciated here. Thank you all for taking the time to share here - it is really helping me as I regroup.

The externship site that I had my heart set on fell through, and I emailed a ton of sites and they do not have any more spots for next year. I had seven phase I interviews and four phase ii so I feel like I am a strong applicant. I wonder if I work hard to complete my dissertation and try to get my thesis published if that would be just as good as getting another practicum? I also plan on working on my interview skills.

Can anyone tell me what an 'externship' is?

My husband has a meeting with his faculty this week, and it sounds like whatever 'externships' are, we've already missed that boat by them pushing the meeting out so far.

I am having a hard time not feeling rage against them for putting him on an AP, knowing the impact it was going to have - I have been told by some people that their sites just straight up discard any applications with APs without looking at them as a method to deal with the high volume of applications. If that's the case, they ruined his career by making that choice, and sacrificed his future to avoid confronting his then-advisor and the screw ups she was causing.

Can anyone tell me what an 'externship' is?

My husband has a meeting with his faculty this week, and it sounds like whatever 'externships' are, we've already missed that boat by them pushing the meeting out so far.

I am having a hard time not feeling rage against them for putting him on an AP, knowing the impact it was going to have - I have been told by some people that their sites just straight up discard any applications with APs without looking at them as a method to deal with the high volume of applications. If that's the case, they ruined his career by making that choice, and sacrificed his future to avoid confronting his then-advisor and the screw ups she was causing.

Its just a formal clincial training experience that takes places at a site outside (and independent from) the department/training progam.

Its just a formal clincial training experience that takes places at a site outside (and independent from) the department/training progam.

if I remember correctly, he failed his quals first time, is that right? I do not know how that get noted on a transcript or why its even such black mark, really? I mean, Med students can fail a step of their boards and it certainly doesnt ruin careers, right What exactly does your husbands APPIC application say on it?

if I remember correctly, he failed his quals first time, is that right? I do not know how that get noted on a transcript or why its even such black mark, really? I mean, Med students can fail a step of their boards and it certainly doesnt ruin careers, right What exactly does your husbands APPIC application say on it?

They put him on AP until he resubmitted the paper component of his Quals, which he did immediately and it was accepted, and they lifted the AP, he did his Oral component and passed with ease. (It's possible it was Written > Oral > lifting of AP, but either way, it came right back off almost immediately.)
However, you have to declare on your application if you have ever been placed on an AP.

Its possible that some sites use this as a screener. However, as longs he wasnt on AP at time of app (which I doubt is allowed) I am not convinced that this was his primary barrier. Its not exactly common, but actually not that unusual, for a student to flunk one of the many milestones in a doctoral degree program. Like I said, MDs flunk boards along the way and it doesnt generally have career altering reprucussions once they pass them.

Its possible that some sites use this as a screener. However, as longs he wasnt on AP at time of app (which I doubt is allowed) I am not convinced that this was his primary barrier. Its not exactly common, but actually not that unusual, for a student to flunk one of the many milestones in a doctoral degree program. Like I said, MDs flunk boards along the way and it doesnt generally have career altering reprucussions once they pass them.

That's encouraging. I know he got feedback during an interview that they saw how much he had grown since and saw it as a positive thing. It's terrifying to think that nothing we can do will matter if sites won't even look at his application in the first place, you know?

The externship site that I had my heart set on fell through, and I emailed a ton of sites and they do not have any more spots for next year. I had seven phase I interviews and four phase ii so I feel like I am a strong applicant. I wonder if I work hard to complete my dissertation and try to get my thesis published if that would be just as good as getting another practicum? I also plan on working on my interview skills.
psychrat, I'm with you. 8 in phase I and 5 in phase II. I think getting further on my dissertation and practicing interviewing are key, even though I do think interviews went better in phase II. maybe we could support each other in that somehow.

Having your dissertation completed is a huge plus. And having the confidence and satisfaction that you have that done will in itself help in interviews. You could find something to do (even non-clinical for that matter) that you are passionate about and that could be an interview boon (or something really practical like study Spanish intensively :))