2013-2014 Morehouse University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Someof what medschoolpony said is correct BUT, like in every school, there are good and bad professors. I think there are FAR, FAR more good professors than bad professors in MSM. I came into Morehouse not knowing what HBCU was and still don't know or care what it is, so that point is mute in my mind. The gym is ok, cafeteria is ok, but not the best and I actually think we do have enough time to study/prepare for the exams, BUT i wish we had more time. Because sometimes it feels like we don't have any time, but that is what weekends are for :). The last paragraph somewhat true. They make us do these community classes that are kind of bleh, but i don't really care, I just do whats told do and get by. How people do on the miniboards is up to them, yes we might under perform in our miniboard grades, but if you wanted to do better, then you would study more. When it comes to miniboards I worry about myself and at the same time want everybody to pass. Miniboard exams do not say how you are going to do in the USMLE. They say there is a strong correlation, but I thought they said there was a strong correlation between SAT and college performance and there was not. I KNOW people that have studied to not fail the mini board and barely passed everyone of them, but have gotten 90+ percentile in the USMLE and are attending MSM. I think miniboards are pointless and msm should start grading using the pass/fail system and not the A, B, C system.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
how full do you guys think the class is? I have an interview for March. And you guys there are good and bad things about every med school, you wont see a med school in this country where everybody is happy. You make the best of what you have and be thankful for the opportunity to become a physician.

Are there any places to live near Morehouse that are relatively cheap does anybody know?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a student at MSM and I want to say good luck to everyone. As a person who was once in your shoes I wish I had better advice during the admission process. I applied to various school in the late fall and got accepted to a few programs. I wish I listened to a few professors who told me to greatly reconsider going to a HBCU (or at least one that is still affiliated with the term). Knowing what I know now I would've chosen to go to the out of state R1 school or reapplied the following year.

This is the first "HBCU" that I've attended and I'm so disappointed with the experience. If an acceptance to an HBCU is your only choice and you don't want to wait another year to reapply then accept the offer. However, consider that there will be less amenities (than say a R1 school), poor teaching instructors, a crappy gym and cafeteria, and less free time to prepare for class exams (poorly created ones) and standardized ones (miniboards and the USMLE exams). I didn't think that it would matter but it matters a whole lot!!!

We're constantly taking bs courses "for the community" and are given a lot less time to study for exams (honestly the community health and other related courses/experiences are poorly structured and like volunteering as most of us did in undergrad. I've yet to learn something from any experience that I didn't learn from high school or undergrad experiences). We have continuously scored below the national average on the miniboard exams (but still passing). It's as if they want us to do mediocre so we could be forced into primary care. Nevertheless, the top percentile of the class will most likely get mediocre or some great residencies. In contrast, the faculty and student body is really nice but as nice as I'm sure high school was because we're a small school. I would highly consider all of these pros/cons before choosing a school. And once again good luck and send me a message if you would like any additional information.

I understand that you may have issues with the program (which is to be expected from any medical school), But didn't you go for an interview? It sounds as if you are in-state so there was also opportunity for you to attend a campus tour no? Did you not speak with students about the school before you decided to choose it? I guess I wouldn't expect a student that had all of those opportunities to ensure they made the right choice to make such negative comments. I have been on other interviews and have one scheduled at Morehouse and you have turned me off to the student body, not the school. It's ok to be honest about the pros and cons of a program but some of the things you mentioned should have been addressed on interview day or on a campus tour. Researching the school is a part of interview prep and the mission/programs outlined on the schools website cater A LOT to community medicine and primary care. If you didn't want that, why pick Morehouse and take up space?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a student at MSM and I want to say good luck to everyone. As a person who was once in your shoes I wish I had better advice during the admission process. I applied to various school in the late fall and got accepted to a few programs. I wish I listened to a few professors who told me to greatly reconsider going to a HBCU (or at least one that is still affiliated with the term). Knowing what I know now I would've chosen to go to the out of state R1 school or reapplied the following year.

This is the first "HBCU" that I've attended and I'm so disappointed with the experience. If an acceptance to an HBCU is your only choice and you don't want to wait another year to reapply then accept the offer. However, consider that there will be less amenities (than say a R1 school), poor teaching instructors, a crappy gym and cafeteria, and less free time to prepare for class exams (poorly created ones) and standardized ones (miniboards and the USMLE exams). I didn't think that it would matter but it matters a whole lot!!!

We're constantly taking bs courses "for the community" and are given a lot less time to study for exams (honestly the community health and other related courses/experiences are poorly structured and like volunteering as most of us did in undergrad. I've yet to learn something from any experience that I didn't learn from high school or undergrad experiences). We have continuously scored below the national average on the miniboard exams (but still passing). It's as if they want us to do mediocre so we could be forced into primary care. Nevertheless, the top percentile of the class will most likely get mediocre or some great residencies. In contrast, the faculty and student body is really nice but as nice as I'm sure high school was because we're a small school. I would highly consider all of these pros/cons before choosing a school. And once again good luck and send me a message if you would like any additional information.

I honestly didn't think a crappy gym and cafeteria food would make or break a school, considering you can always find other means to work out and bring your own lunch to school .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
MSM student here. I agree with everything that has been said to an extent.
1) Amenities: Yes, the cafeteria is small and a little expensive for what you get. Yes, the gym could use a renovation. However, I think we all saw this on our campus tour on interview day, and the amenities don't really impact our education.

2) Professors: I really love our professors. Our faculty is hands-down our biggest asset. Our professors are knowledgeable, passionate, fun, and supportive. Before every exam, we ask them to take time out of their schedules to hold review sessions, and I don't remember a single professor ever declining.

3) Time: Yes, we don't have as much time as students at other schools for independent study. Expect to be in class from 9am to 4pm daily. Expect to have homework assignments for community health and clinical preceptorship ~every 3 weeks.

4) Community Health: This class eats up a lot of time both inside and outside of class. We spend every Wednesday afternoon doing service-learning activities at an assigned community site. Understand that service-learning is not the same as community service. Service-learning means we go to a nursing home/homeless shelter/elementary school/etc. and conduct a "needs assessment" to identify what health issues the community is facing. We then devise an intervention to address the health issues. It's a like a public health class.

5) Clinical Preceptorship: It's similar to shadowing in high school and undergrad, but now you have to answer questions about each visit. You only do this 6 times, so it's not that bad. Your commute will suck if you get assigned a site way out in the suburbs.

6) NBME subject exams/"Miniboards": We have ~2 days to study for each national subject exam, and we take them right after our own exams. Yes, our class averages on the NBME subject exams are generally a couple points below the national averages. For example, the national average is 50 with a std dev of 10, and our class average might be a 47. Eh, I'm ok with that.​

Reactions: 4 users
MSM student here. I agree with everything that has been said to an extent.
1) Amenities: Yes, the cafeteria is small and a little expensive for what you get. Yes, the gym could use a renovation. However, I think we all saw this on our campus tour on interview day, and the amenities don't really impact our education.

2) Professors: I really love our professors. Our faculty is hands-down our biggest asset. Our professors are knowledgeable, passionate, fun, and supportive. Before every exam, we ask them to take time out of their schedules to hold review sessions, and I don't remember a single professor ever declining.

3) Time: Yes, we don't have as much time as students at other schools for independent study. Expect to be in class from 9am to 4pm daily. Expect to have homework assignments for community health and clinical preceptorship ~every 3 weeks.

4) Community Health: This class eats up a lot of time both inside and outside of class. We spend every Wednesday afternoon doing service-learning activities at an assigned community site. Understand that service-learning is not the same as community service. Service-learning means we go to a nursing home/homeless shelter/elementary school/etc. and conduct a "needs assessment" to identify what health issues the community is facing. We then devise an intervention to address the health issues. It's a like a public health class.

5) Clinical Preceptorship: It's similar to shadowing in high school and undergrad, but now you have to answer questions about each visit. You only do this 6 times, so it's not that bad. Your commute will suck if you get assigned a site way out in the suburbs.

6) NBME subject exams/"Miniboards": We have ~2 days to study for each national subject exam, and we take them right after our own exams. Yes, our class averages on the NBME subject exams are generally a couple points below the national averages. For example, the national average is 50 with a std dev of 10, and our class average might be a 47. Eh, I'm ok with that.​
Thanks for clarification on those topics. It really helps to have a mature assessment! :thumbup:

Thanks for clarification on those topics. It really helps to have a mature assessment! :thumbup:

Can somebody pleas tell me if attendance is mandatory at Morehouse.

i think its a good thing to have the pros and the cons of schools laid out objectively. granted its not gonna make too much of a difference in my future decisions... but its still helpful to have as much information as possible. so thanks for that. hearing from students actually in the grind right now really helps get a feel for the vibe a bit deeper than what the msm website can portray.

good luck to everyone waiting!

Attendance is not mandatory, but some classes require you to come and sign in for credit (those are very few and usually just community health, clinical preceptorship and fundamentals of medicine classes). You can come dressed whatever way you want to. I hope I did not sound like I was downplaying morehouse. Morehouse is a great school and the best part about it is that everybody likes to help each other and make sure everybody is doing good. Teachers also like for all the students to do good too, they are very helpful.

Can somebody pleas tell me if attendance is mandatory at Morehouse.

Like scrumjoe said, attendance is not mandatory for our basic science lectures or our histology/neurology labs. However, lecture attendance is still pretty high (on average). Some professors will consistently get close to 100% attendance because they are just that awesome. There are a couple of less-than-amazing professors who might get 25-50% attendance. We have a couple "Clinical Correlations" lectures taught by clinicians that almost everyone attends. You are not required to be in class from 9am to 4pm, but chances are that you will anyway.

Like scrumjoe said, attendance is not mandatory for our basic science lectures or our histology/neurology labs. However, lecture attendance is still pretty high (on average). Some professors will consistently get close to 100% attendance because they are just that awesome. There are a couple of less-than-amazing professors who might get 25-50% attendance. We have a couple "Clinical Correlations" lectures taught by clinicians that almost everyone attends. You are not required to be in class from 9am to 4pm, but chances are that you will anyway.

Okay, are there recorded lectures online that you can watch from anywhere?

Has anyone heard anything from the admission office lately? Seems like there hasn't been much movement lately.

Does Morehouse like students who reinvent themselves after a crappy undergrad gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, are there recorded lectures online that you can watch from anywhere?

Mostly, no. Only our histology/cell bio professor records his lectures (unless there are technical difficulties, which happens frequently). None of the other lectures are video recorded.

We have students that kindly record audio of the lectures and upload the recordings for everyone to use, but audio recordings are not very helpful if a professor jumps back and forth between slides or skips slides entirely. It's gets almost impossible to follow along with the slides if you can't see them.

Does Morehouse like students who reinvent themselves after a crappy undergrad gpa?

An inspiring life story is always appreciated and considered in an admissions decision, but it might not be enough to compensate for an overly crappy GPA. If you are concerned about your GPA, try to do a post-bac program or look into the MSM APEX summer program.

How did you reinvent yourself? If you've got a strong MCAT, academically you might still be OK. If not, I second throaway720's comments of possibly pursuing a postbacc or a Master's to help distinguish yourself intellectually. I went with a Master's to offset my undergrad grades; I was invited to interview by MSM as well as 6 other MD schools. Keep your head up- it IS possible!! PM me for any specifics you want to know that might help your journey. GL to you!

How did you reinvent yourself? If you've got a strong MCAT, academically you might still be OK. If not, I second throaway720's comments of possibly pursuing a postbacc or a Master's to help distinguish yourself intellectually. I went with a Master's to offset my undergrad grades; I was invited to interview by MSM as well as 6 other MD schools. Keep your head up- it IS possible!! PM me for any specifics you want to know that might help your journey. GL to you!
I'm pursuing a Masters now. Taking MCAT next yr after I finish pre-reqs of OChem and Phys up

Anybody hear anything recently?

I interviewed in late January and received an email update on 3/25 saying that my application is still under consideration.

Did anybody else get the background check info today? I know for Meharry if you get the background check email it means you are in, but what does the BGC mean for Morehouse?

Did anybody else get the background check info today? I know for Meharry if you get the background check email it means you are in, but what does the BGC mean for Morehouse?
From Certiphi? That must be good news!!!!!

No word since update email this past Tuesday. Interviewed March 7th.

Called admissions office today and i've been told that they don't have a timeline regardling when we'd been accepted, rejected, or waitlisted...

Called admissions office today and i've been told that they don't have a timeline regardling when we'd been accepted, rejected, or waitlisted...
Really? I reviewed the pass years forums and it seems like they sent out acceptance and wait list letters the first week of april each year. I was hoping to receive something this week.

Really? I reviewed the pass years forums and it seems like they sent out acceptance and wait list letters the first week of april each year. I was hoping to receive something this week.

So they send out letters and not emails?

So they send out letters and not emails?
According to the older forums everyone received letters by mail on the first week of April. Some also received emails earlier in the year and then calls to be selected off the wait list in May and June. I think it just depends on the time of the year. I would be looking for a letter by mail, right now.

I was accepted back in November, and I received the background check info in January. So for you to receive that must be good news! I don't want to say maybe you were accepted, because I don't want to be wrong lol Hopefully there is a letter coming your way! Crossing my fingers for you :)

I was accepted back in November, and I received the background check info in January. So for you to receive that must be good news! I don't want to say maybe you were accepted, because I don't want to be wrong lol Hopefully there is a letter coming your way! Crossing my fingers for you :)

In! Got my acceptance letter in the mail today. Loved the school, will definitely be attending.

II have an interview for another msm program in a few weeks and I am wondering if I can get away with my hair color , If I bun it so very little of the color will show

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1396497443.172685.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1396497443.172685.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 95
II have an interview for another msm program in a few weeks and I am wondering if I can get away with my hair color , If I bun it so very little of the color will show
I couldn't see any significant color differences, because the color and your natural hair color blended well in the picture. I'm guessing it's purple? Just try putting you hair in a bun (sock bun?) and see how it looks.

I couldn't see any significant color differences, because the color and your natural hair color blended well in the picture. I'm guessing it's purple? Just try putting you hair in a bun (sock bun?) and see how it looks.

Thank you ! I think I can do a pretty good job concealing it as long as it's fluorescent lighting , but would it really impact my chances if they saw the color :-/

Hi everyone,

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far! :) I was wondering those who have either interviewed or been accepted, did you do Morehouse's Apex summer program? If so, what was your experience there and do you think it really helped you in terms of the application process?

Thanks!!!! :)

Thank you ! I think I can do a pretty good job concealing it as long as it's fluorescent lighting , but would it really impact my chances if they saw the color :-/

I don't think they are going to judge you by the color of your hair, unless your whole hair is that color lol. Just try to look as professional as you can and be confident during your interview, and you should be fine :)

Hi everyone,

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far! :) I was wondering those who have either interviewed or been accepted, did you do Morehouse's Apex summer program? If so, what was your experience there and do you think it really helped you in terms of the application process?

Thanks!!!! :)

Hi there! I didn't do the Apex summer program (I was very lucky this cycle); however, I heard if you do the program, it will boost your application. It helps you study for your MCAT, and you can gain a lot of volunteer/shadowing experience, because they do send you to Grady for clinical experience. I was told that participating in this program does increase your chance in being accepted at MSM, as well as other schools. If you're wondering where I received this information, I was lucky to have Brandon Hunter visit my university to talk about MSM and the Apex program. Looks like a legit program. Good luck on your application cycle!

Anyone know if they're still sending invites? I'm guessing their cycle is over...

I had an interviewed back in January and I had auburn/reddish hair and wore it in a pinned up bantu knot out. I was accepted in February and also received compliments from the staff on my hair, so don't let that worry you on interview day. Good luck!!! I'm sure you will do great. :)

Hey guys! I was wondering if there is a Facebook group for our class yet?? I haven't found one so far but I hope we have one soon since I have no clue about ATL and who all is in our class. Congrats to everyone who's in and good luck to those still applying, don't give up! :)

Hey guys! I was wondering if there is a Facebook group for our class yet?? I haven't found one so far but I hope we have one soon since I have no clue about ATL and who all is in our class. Congrats to everyone who's in and good luck to those still applying, don't give up! :)

I've been wondering the same thing, because I want to get know everyone in the class! One of us should take the initiative and make one lol

I've been wondering the same thing, because I want to get know everyone in the class! One of us should take the initiative and make one lol

That would be great. I'm looking for a roommate and Facebook would help with that.

Well, it seems like there has been an administrator from Morehouse who has made the previous facebook pages, but if we could make one that would be great!

Well, it seems like there has been an administrator from Morehouse who has made the previous facebook pages, but if we could make one that would be great!

If you guys want I can make one :) Hopefully, I wouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes at Morehouse lol we all just want to get to know each other

Yeah Go ahead! And could you post the link on here when you make it please?!

Yeah Go ahead! And could you post the link on here when you make it please?!

Actually, I was told there might be some issues if I made one lol so another person who was accepted told me they will ask one of the MS1 or MS2 students to make one for us :) Until then, you are more than welcome to add me on Facebook, just message me, and I will give you my name :)