2013-2014 Temple University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Yay! Temple applicants :) can't wait to get verified and start secondaries!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking to prewrite my secondaries for Temple, but I looked on last year's forums and can't find if there's a word/character limit. Does anyone know, or maybe have a ballpark figure for what they're prewriting?

Hey all, I'm going to be an upcoming first year student so if you got any questions I'll do my best to answer them. Just PM me.

As for the word count on the secondaries, I'm looking at mine now and don't see a limit. But mine were around 100 words.

Best of luck!

Hey all, I'm going to be an upcoming first year student so if you got any questions I'll do my best to answer them. Just PM me.

As for the word count on the secondaries, I'm looking at mine now and don't see a limit. But mine were around 100 words.

Best of luck!
This is from last year's cycle.
It seems they haven't changed it since 2011, so I think you could assume it would be quite similar this year..
But if anyone who applied this year could confirm that would be great!

What is the nature of your special interest in Temple University School of Medicine?

How do you anticipate contributing to the TUSM community?

If you indicated St. Luke's Regional Campus or one of our clinical campuses (Crozer-Chester Medical Center, Geisinger Health System, or West Penn Allegheny Health System) as your first choice, please describe the nature of your special interest. Otherwise, please type N/A to continue.

What are your plans for the current year- June 2012 until June 2013?

I thought we would have received the secondary by now!

Anyone get the secondary application yet? Are the essays the same as last year?

Does anyone know if Temple asks about misdemeanor convictions on their secondary? I have an expunged "drunk in public" from nearly a decade ago that I didn't have to disclose on the primary, and I would rather not have to mention it in a secondary. :( Thanks!

I've been getting an error page when I try to log in though

Members don't see this ad :)
My log-in went through, but the site is extremely slow. Essays are the same as posted above.

EDIT: Can someone break down the clinical campuses? Last year's thread was only helpful for location.

Last edited:
My browser keeps asking me to validate that I have a certificate to open the site. Anybody else having this problem?

Mine works just verrrrryyy slowwwwlyyy

Mine works just verrrrryyy slowwwwlyyy

Hmm interesting....for me it asks for a certificate and when I press ok it just asks again.

After like 10 times in a row I figured something is wrong. I will try another browser.

EDIT: the problem was Safari

Hmm interesting....for me it asks for a certificate and when I press ok it just asks again.

After like 10 times in a row I figured something is wrong. I will try another browser.

Anybody using Safari?

Try IE

If I chose Temple University + Affiliates as my first choice for clinical campus, do I have to answer the questions asking why this campus?

My browser keeps asking me to validate that I have a certificate to open the site. Anybody else having this problem?

I had this problem in safari in my macbook. Using firefox worked for me. Its just verrrry slow, as others have mentioned

If I chose Temple University + Affiliates as my first choice for clinical campus, do I have to answer the questions asking why this campus?

It says you do not. I imagine they could get that information from your 'why temple' essay.

What would be the best clinical training site for primary care (community medicine type work)? I was thinking the Crozer-Chester Medical Center. What do you guys think?

The eff...???

Heads up y'all...

Apparently Temple won't accept MCAT scores from the month of January 2013 - soo, apparently I'm not applying...

"MCAT scores from 2010, 2011, and 2012. January 2013 scores will not be accepted for the 2013 application."

Any ideas why?? :thumbdown: Temple (Website) :thumbdown:

EDIT: This must be from last year... and by "2013 application" they meant "2012-2013 application" ... no?

Last edited:
The eff...???

Heads up y'all...

Apparently Temple won't accept MCAT scores from the month of January 2013 - soo, apparently I'm not applying...

"MCAT scores from 2010, 2011, and 2012. January 2013 scores will not be accepted for the 2013 application."

Any ideas why?? :thumbdown: Temple :thumbdown:

For some reason I don't think they changed it for our cycle. They need to update that. That would make sense for last year's cycle.

I designated 3 letters of writers for this school in the supplemental application; however, after submitted my secondary and viewing it, it only showed 2 letter writers. any ideas?

How do you anticipate contributing to the TUSM community?

What does this mean? The TUSM student body or the Philadelphia public? :confused: No idea how I'm going to answer this if it's the latter.

What does this mean? The TUSM student body or the Philadelphia public? :confused: No idea how I'm going to answer this if it's the latter.

I answered this as the latter...because of the word "community". Hope I didn't mess it up!

You could answer it as both by saying your diverse experiences will help the student body become better physicians which will, in turn, benefit the surrounding community.

:laugh: I like that.

I know there's no word limit or anything, but how long are you guys working with?

And the award for most open-ended essay questions goes to...

Can someone better explain the different campuses? I looked at the stuff posted on the site..but would u say if you're more into research to stay at temple, the other ones seem more community oriented and geared towards individuals who want to eventually stay and serve in PA.

How big is St. Luke's on research compared to others and how is the neuro rotation at temple versus the others, particularly St. Luke

many thanks in advance!

Can someone better explain the different campuses? I looked at the stuff posted on the site..but would u say if you're more into research to stay at temple, the other ones seem more community oriented and geared towards individuals who want to eventually stay and serve in PA.

How big is St. Luke's on research compared to others and how is the neuro rotation at temple versus the others, particularly St. Luke

many thanks in advance!

Can't help you there, but I know it's probably much cheaper to live out in Lehigh Valley, PA than in the Philadelphia area (although Philly is cheaper than most cities).

Is there a max on the character counts at all or I'm free to write a nice 5-paragraph essays =) (just kidding..but is there?)

Adding Temple to my application. Really like what I've researched so far.

Adding Temple to my application. Really like what I've researched so far.

:thumbup: Agreed.

A friend of mine goes there and told me really great things about it. I researched it some more and really think that this school has a lot to offer. Hoping for an II!

:thumbup: Agreed.

A friend of mine goes there and told me really great things about it. I researched it some more and really think that this school has a lot to offer. Hoping for an II!

hope you get one too. I looked at your stats and you EC's seem like a good fit for Temple.

And I start Temple is a few weeks as an M1. Super excited to be there. From what I've heard it's one of the more friendly and collaborative environments.

hope you get one too. I looked at your stats and you EC's seem like a good fit for Temple.

And I start Temple is a few weeks as an M1. Super excited to be there. From what I've heard it's one of the more friendly and collaborative environments.

Yeah that is what I heard too. Have fun!

Can anyone comment on the 4 different regional campuses? I'm completely blindly ranking them. I have NO idea and I've looked at their websites…

Can anyone comment on the 4 different regional campuses? I'm completely blindly ranking them. I have NO idea and I've looked at their websites…

That's how I feel... I'm ranking them more on personal preferences regarding location.

I ended up getting into my first choice which was Temple Hospital, but I heard excellent things about St. Lukes.

I believe St. Lukes is a 1 + 3 program (meaning your only at Temple for 1 year then u move up north about an hour). I heard its a small program and is relatively new but so far the students said they love it. They also do a seperate interview I believe, I think you interview with St. Lukes and not at the Temple Medical School.

Also Geisinger I heard good things. From what I heard it serves more of a rural Pennsylvania, since it serves as a wide safety net hospital. I also heard you can be very hands on here.

Thats all I remember from second look so im not too sure about Crozer or West Penn.

I ended up getting into my first choice which was Temple Hospital, but I heard excellent things about St. Lukes.

I believe St. Lukes is a 1 + 3 program (meaning your only at Temple for 1 year then u move up north about an hour). I heard its a small program and is relatively new but so far the students said they love it. They also do a seperate interview I believe, I think you interview with St. Lukes and not at the Temple Medical School.

Also Geisinger I heard good things. From what I heard it serves more of a rural Pennsylvania, since it serves as a wide safety net hospital. I also heard you can be very hands on here.

Thats all I remember from second look so im not too sure about Crozer or West Penn.

I'm also at temple hospital for rotations so I don't know too much about the others. I have heard that it's easier to switch from temple hospital than switch to it later on, so take that into consideration when ranking the sites.