2013-2014 University of Louisville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why does it worry you? They're only concerned about the outdated teaching building and the paces of change in the curriculum. It's not like it's due to failing board scores or the school losing its accreditation for not being qualified to teach. There could be much worse reasons to be placed on probation, and this shouldn't affect anyones decision on Louisville. Basically all I'm taking away from it is that we're going to get a newly renovated teaching facility even sooner than before, just so they can get this over with and get off probation.

If you believe that they are only concerned about those two things, then you have been misled. Do you truly think that the other 7 areas that they were marked on were less important? If so, why would LCME take the time to review those things if they were "nothing." I'm not saying that this is necessarily a make or break deal, but it definitely should come to play in peoples decision otherwise they haven't given the time to really think about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why does it worry you? They're only concerned about the outdated teaching building and the paces of change in the curriculum. It's not like it's due to failing board scores or the school losing its accreditation for not being qualified to teach. There could be much worse reasons to be placed on probation, and this shouldn't affect anyones decision on Louisville. Basically all I'm taking away from it is that we're going to get a newly renovated teaching facility even sooner than before, just so they can get this over with and get off probation.

I agree with the above post. To me, it shows a lack of responsibility and desire of the administration to keep their facilities and curriculum updated for their medical students. The LCME made it pretty clear that there were some serious issues that UofL needed to address immediately , and some not so serious, but UofL knew there were changes that needed to be made and never took care of it until now. Now they're paying for it by being put on probation for it, which is a big deal and a slap in the face for a medical school. I think UofL will most certainly benefit from this wake-up call but you can only do so much "fixing" until August, which mean if UofL successfully makes the changes by then they will only be meeting the minimum requirements for accreditation.

I've been on multiple medical school interviews and UofL facilities were by far the worst that I've ever seen from their lecture halls, study rooms, sim lab, and clinical rooms. I'm glad that they're making these changes and starting to do what needed to be done a while ago because for as large of an institution UofL is and the availability of potential resources they have, there is no reason for them not to be able to provide their students with state of the art facilities and a medical education that competes with other top medical schools. I would never discourage anyone from attending UofL this fall but I would highly advise these students to make sure they understand the situation going on with UofL and to make sure that they keep pressuring the administration to continue to make changes that will benefit their medical education.

Does anyone know when they sent out the ranked waitlist order?

Members don't see this ad :)
Received my pre-interview rejection email today as expected.

These drawings have been shared to our class and I thought you would love to see them also. Oh how I wish we would have had these upgrades this past school year!

Attachments

• ULSOM Renovation Drawings.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 113
Reactions: 2 users
Could someone post the link to the secondary website. I'm having a hard time finding it.

Can anyone post the link to log into your secondary application account? I think I deleted the email that had it. Thanks!

one of my buddies just made the "top 1/3" for out of state applicants...how likely is it for him to make it off the wait list? he was thinking about emailing the admissions office to ask them how far down the top 1/3 wait list they go for out of state applicants but i wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure about the OOS wait list, but I know that the top-third of the IS wait list has been exhausted each year since 2002 (as, I've been told by Ms. Osborne numerous times).

Since OOS students make up a much lower percentage of accepted students, I would think that the OOS wait list is comprised of a lower amount of total applicants. If the preceding is true, then I would think that the OOS wait list moves faster than, and goes deeper than, the IS wait list (due to accepted applicants backing out for in-state schools). Just guessing though...

I'm not sure about the OOS wait list, but I know that the top-third of the IS wait list has been exhausted each year since 2002 (as, I've been told by Ms. Osborne numerous times).

Since OOS students make up a much lower percentage of accepted students, I would think that the OOS wait list is comprised of a lower amount of total applicants. If the preceding is true, then I would think that the OOS wait list moves faster than, and goes deeper than, the IS wait list (due to accepted applicants backing out for in-state schools). Just guessing though...
OK thanks, that makes sense...would it be OK to email Osborne to see how often the top 1/3 gets exhausted for oos applicants or would that be too pushy too soon?

btw good luck and i hope you get in. if they exhaust the top 1/3 every year then hopefully they go deep into the middle as well...best of luck to you

OK thanks, that makes sense...would it be OK to email Osborne to see how often the top 1/3 gets exhausted for oos applicants or would that be too pushy too soon?

Even though I'm sure she gets asked this question a lot, I don't think it is being pushy, or it being too soon, to ask such a simple question through e-mail. Your friend, or you, should probably be very specific and brief in asking the question, and I'm sure she won't mind replying.

Even though I'm sure she gets asked this question a lot, I don't think it is being pushy, or it being too soon, to ask such a simple question through e-mail. Your friend, or you, should probably be very specific and brief in asking the question, and I'm sure she won't mind replying.

it does sound like i'm trying to talk for myself haha but i've been accepted elsewhere but thanks for the advice, i appreciate it

it does sound like i'm trying to talk for myself haha but i've been accepted elsewhere but thanks for the advice, i appreciate it

Hahaha I wasn't implying that you were talking for yourself. I guess I meant, in case you were going e-mail on behalf of your friend. Sorry for the confusion ;-)

So, I think I have figured out how many total applicants the wait list is comprised of...around 124! Shortly after the e-mail from Ms. Osborne, there was an e-mail from Rhonda Pugh which corrected the date in Ms. Osborne's previous e-mail. I noticed that Ms. Pugh's e-mail was a mass mail, which included around 124 intended recipients. Now, assuming that Ms. Osborne's e-mail was sent only to people that are wait listed (why else would you get that e-mail), Ms. Pugh's correction e-mail's intended recipients MUST be all the individuals who are on the wait list. This find might not be of any significance, but I'm sure some of you were curious...

Edit: I didn't take into consideration OOS vs. IS. Assuming the IS wait list is larger, there are AT LEAST 62 individuals on the IS wait list.

Last edited:
About 20 per third seems reasonable for IS, so I could see that.

i would think that the in state wait list would be at least double the size as the out of state wait list since they end up accepting about triple the amount of in state residents compared to out of state residents...that's just my wild ass guess though

i would think that the in state wait list would be at least double the size as the out of state wait list since they end up accepting about triple the amount of in state residents compared to out of state residents...that's just my wild ass guess though

Yes, but they plan for much more movement on the oos list. If you are accepted oos, you probably have multiple acceptances. Just my guess too though, so who knows.

Out of the 124 total, my guess is 80 IS and 44 OOS.

i wonder if U of L being put on probation is going to make people with multiple acceptances flee to other schools therefore making U of L rely heavily on its wait list this year...i wouldn't doubt it

i wonder if U of L being put on probation is going to make people with multiple acceptances flee to other schools therefore making U of L rely heavily on its wait list this year...i wouldn't doubt it

I wonder if UofL had this in mind when forming the wait list and added extra applicants to the W/L this cycle?

Here is the link for the secondary website. I doubt anyone still needs it though! haha
https://netapps.louisville.edu/SOMAPS/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/SOMAPS/

Also, does this mean that my chance of getting in is good since I am top third? U of L is definitely my top choice right now, and I would love to be accepted!

Given the fact that the entire top-third has gotten in every year since 2002, I'd say you are VERY likely to get in. Congrats on making the top-third!

I am hoping a lot of us hear good news tomorrow as Louisville starts moving its waitlist. Can we just make it a rule of thumb for people to post their third of the waitlist they are on and IS or OOS? Just was looking through past year threads and it saves a lot of unnecessary posts. Good luck to everyone tomorrow I hope we all hear good news.

I am hoping a lot of us hear good news tomorrow as Louisville starts moving its waitlist. Can we just make it a rule of thumb for people to post their third of the waitlist they are on and IS or OOS? Just was looking through past year threads and it saves a lot of unnecessary posts. Good luck to everyone tomorrow I hope we all hear good news.
you think we'll hear back by tomorrow? i thought the email said we could start to hear back the day after the 15th, but hopefully they start tomorrow! btw...top 1/3 oos

you think we'll hear back by tomorrow? i thought the email said we could start to hear back the day after the 15th, but hopefully they start tomorrow! btw...top 1/3 oos

Yeah, the email says that they will begin making offers following the withdrawal date (today). I wouldn't get your hopes up for any word today. Tomorrow and the following few weeks may be a different story. Good luck everyone!

i'm hoping that a lot of movement will occur tomorrow as well! i'm top 1/3 IS. This waiting game is killing me. good luck to everyone!

so it seems like they've exhausted the IS top 1/3 since 2002, but how about the OOS top 1/3? anyone know?

I also wonder if they increased the number of waitlist spots this year to prepare for more movement (re: probation), thus increasing the number in each of the thirds. Hoping we will know something tomorrow or Monday!! (top 1/3, is)

They haven't added spots to either waitlist because of the probation. Again, no one is worried about the probation. Last year, to my knowledge, they accepted students in the middle third of the IS waitlist and the bottom third of the OOS waitlist. For those in the middle third and lower, it may be a long wait but be patient. Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 3 users
How long do you think it will take for the IS top 1/3 to find out?? I am so anxious!!!

How long do you think it will take for the IS top 1/3 to find out?? I am so anxious!!!

Only way to judge is from threads from previous years. Based on those, it could be any time from tomorrow to two weeks from now or so.

It's all based on how many and when accepted students start declining the acceptance. Since today is May 15th, I am assuming that there will be some movement as early as tomorrow (assuming that Admissions starts notifying tomorrow), but after that, it could be a long wait for some. Find something to preoccupy yourself with to keep your mind off it.

And as always, if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll answer to the best of my ability. Again, GOOD LUCK!

Not yet! I was hoping some people had!!!

Accepted! Top 1/3 IS. 31 MCAT, slightly below average GPA. Good luck to everyone else!

I was accepted as well! I know a significant amount of people that got in today, so i hope that the list is moving fast for all those still waiting. good luck!

seems like there was a lot of movement on the IS wait list today...congrats to you in staters! i'm still "patiently" waiting to hear something (top 1/3 oos) and hopefully will hear something soon

We're supposed to get a CBC email shortly after acceptance, correct? I'm still waiting on mine.

We're supposed to get a CBC email shortly after acceptance, correct? I'm still waiting on mine.
yup, i thought they would email those out before you get an acceptance but you'll be getting one eventually. all schools require one