2013-2014 University of Louisville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not part of the Trover program, but I know at least one student who was originally on Trover track decided against it and as far as I'm aware there wasn't a problem with that. You just end up doing your rotations with everyone else in Louisville.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it even worth applying OOS if I have below median stats and no ties to the region at all?

Ohio resident!! So excited to apply here!!!

I am wondering about my chances here. I have a low GPA, and average MCAT for applying here, but I grew up in KY till I was 13, still have two brothers that live there, and would love to go to medical school and set up shop in rural KY as a PCP. Anyone have any advice as to whether it is worth it to apply here for me? My stats are on my MD apps. My ECs I think are good.

Last edited:
I am wondering about my chances here. I have a low GPA, and average MCAT for applying here, but I grew up in KY till I was 13, still have two brothers that live there, and would love to go to medical school and set up shop in rural KY as a PCP. Anyone have any advice as to whether it is worth it to apply here for me? My stats are on my MD apps. My ECs I think are good.

It's certainly worth a shot, especially since you have ties to the area.

Good luck to all! I'm in state, 31 with a 3.83.

According to the MSAR, about 33 out of 180 or so (too lazy to look up exact numbers) were accepted out-of-state. So it's worth the shot.

Incoming MS1 here, OOS student here to help with any questions you might have about interviews, housing, pros/cons of UL

Incoming MS1 here, OOS student here to help with any questions you might have about interviews, housing, pros/cons of UL

Maybe a strange question, but what in general are the people like around the city? I'm from northeast Kentucky, where everyone is polite, but blissfully ignorant about everything. For example; most everyone has weight problems, so if you do something out of the norm like jog or order a salad, it's grounds for getting laughed at for some reason.

Also, how is the city? I've only been to Louisville once for a track meet, and I didn't see much of it. Is there a lot to do? Nightlife? So on?

Thanks for your help and time!!

Out of curiosity, what exactly are "ties to the state." I am OOS, from Ohio. Is being from an adjacent state a "tie to the state."

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, what exactly are "ties to the state." I am OOS, from Ohio. Is being from an adjacent state a "tie to the state."

Umm. I'm not totally sure what exactly qualifies, but the biggie seems to be family living in Kentucky or if you lived here yourself at any point. Additionally, you could say you worked here, or explain you live right on the border and its close to home, if that's the case. It'd be a reach, but maybe if you could come up with something like "I've always been a cardinal fan" or that you go every year for vacation (probably unlikely that would work, though).

For the most part it is a major downtown city, so you will find a diverse background of individuals living within the city. I am from a suburb about 15 minutes north of downtown Cincinnati and am used to the same type of people as Northeast Kentucky, and I find no problem acclimating to the new environment. With regards to nightlife, Fourth Street Live and some of the bars nearby are pretty awesome. My friends and I have gone down to Louisville on many occasions and it rivaled the nightlife of Broadripple in Indy and Mt. Adams in Cincinnati. On top of that there are plenty of concert venues like the Louisville Palace, UL football and basketball games, Churchill Downs races and Downs after Dark, Louisville Riverbat games, tons of malls nearby so really a lot to offer.

Medicinerus - I was born in Ohio and lived in KY for a few years growing up before moving back to Ohio. I think that living in Ohio and talking about how Louisville is close to home and what you like about the program and how you would fit the mission, etc. would be a sufficient tie.

Current or incoming students: talk to me about the Trover Campus! Thanks!

1) How good/bad is Madisonville?

2) If you have a change of heart before MS-3 about Trover, what happens?

http://www.baptisthealthmadisonville.com/education/university-of-louisville-school-of-medicine/

I'm an MS3 for another 6 days, doing the Trover program.

Madisonville, as you'd guess, is smaller than Louisville. There's a ton less to do. And contrary to what you may think--there is some free time during 3rd year. And there's going to be A LOT of it in 4th year.

There are plenty of nice restaraunts though. There's a fairly new gastropub. There are a handful of bars throughout town. We tend to go to El Bracero's because it's close to the hospital, it's cheap, it's delicious and 2 for 1 beers.

I certainly like being able to get from 1 side of town to the other in under 10 minutes. In Louisville, I lived a 10 minute drive from a Kroger--but it took 20-30 minutes to get there depending on traffic. Cost of living is so much less expensive. It's a smaller market--so there's no whole foods or Trader Joes. And Kroger doesn't even have the A&W Diet Cream soda here.

The medical school stuff: I think for the most part it's a better experience at Trover. You work with attendings 1 on 1. The residents are family medicine residents--and you usually work with the 1st years. But even when working with the 2nd or 3rd years--you're never treated as an inferior. On OB--you can get A LOT of babies if you're pro-active. You can get in on A LOT of surgeries if you're proactive.

There's a free clinic elective. You go to free clinic and see patients on Thursday nights--you can get 2-4 weeks off in 4th year based on the # of hours you put in.

For 4th year schedules, you'll get thrown into tracks in Louisville where you have to adhere to a certain sequence of electives and required rotations. In Madisonville, you can pretty much schedule it however you like--then switch it around how you like.

Once you've been here, and you're known as a student, the whole hospital is kind of your oyster. If you want to see or learn something, most of the doctors or nurses are more than happy to show you something whenever. In Louisville, I'd imagine there are always several students in every area. You've got literally no competition for anything.

The library here has books for every rotation. And they're the books that everyone uses. It's really nice.

We had several people from my class--3 or 4---decide they'd rather stay in Louisville. I really entertained the idea. But, most of them had reasons other than "I just don't want to."

If anyone has any questions, especially regarding Trover/Baptist/Madisonville--whatever they're calling it these days---feel free to PM me

Umm. I'm not totally sure what exactly qualifies, but the biggie seems to be family living in Kentucky or if you lived here yourself at any point. Additionally, you could say you worked here, or explain you live right on the border and its close to home, if that's the case. It'd be a reach, but maybe if you could come up with something like "I've always been a cardinal fan" or that you go every year for vacation (probably unlikely that would work, though).

Is there a question about ties on the secondary? I do work in Kentucky and have a lot of family in the state too

In one section of the secondary there is a question for Out of State students asking to explain your interest in attending the University of Louisville....there you can address your ties to the state.

is anyone willing to post the prompts?

Out of State Interest: If you are an out of state student, please explain your interest in attending the University of Louisville School of Medicine:

How well did your high school prepare you for college?

What determined your choice of college(s)?

How do you assess your college record?

Circumstances adversely affecting your academic performance?

Research Experience (including any publications and/or curriculum vitae)

Foreign Travel:

Interests and Hobbies:

Describe any other areas in which you possess interest, expertise or skill. E.g., musicianship of a professional caliber, published writing, language spoken fluently, union level in trades, certification in other professional areas, scouting, etc.:

What career(s) would you probably consider if you could not be a physician?

How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training?
(Please include choice of medical practice and location)

Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue a M.D. degree program:

Just FYI for anyone starting this secondary... if your application won't "Save" after you fill in the boxed answers, check your characters. The limit is 500 characters and is supposed to show an automatic error for going over it, but that may or may not be working, so just check that your answers stay within that limit. Good luck!

I haven't received the secondary yet. I'm oos. Should I be concerned?

How long have you been verified by AMCAS? No idea what their timeline is to release a secondary for an OOS applicant. I'm IS.

First, good luck to everyone!

KY resident:
-3.96 GPA
-34 MCAT (11,11,12)

Second, collegegolferMD:

Thanks for taking time to answer our questions. And since you offered...If you don't mind, could you describe what the interview process is like? Was it one-on-one or a group interview? Also, was it relaxed or did the interviewer try to challenge you?

For the interview day, I arrived around 8 AM. We were greeted by Dr. Osborne and she talked to us about the admissions process, curriculum, financial aid, etc. Afterwards the 8-10 sat in a room and waited for our interviewers to come grab us. We each had 2 one-on-one interviews that lasted approx 30 minutes each, and all of the interviewers are members of the admissions committee. The interviews I had were very relaxed...I had a 3rd year student and a Pediatrician, however I have heard that some members do stress interviews, but for the most part it was very conversational and relaxed. Most of the questions they have to ask are regarding interesting aspects of your AMCAS/Secondary Apps, things that can make you stand out, life experiences and medical involvement so that they can present you better to the committee.

After the interviews were done, we were taken to a room in an adjoining building where we paired up with a current student and had a boxed lunch. That student then took us on individual tours of the medical school buildings and answered any questions you may have. After the tour we were free to leave. This was very similiar to the interview day at the University of Kentucky. Hope this helps

does U of L wait to send out secondaries until after they've received your MCAT score? I know UK sends them out to all KY residents even before the MCAT score is received...is the same true for U of L?

When I applied 4 years ago, they waited. I indicated that I was retaking the MCAT, and they waited until they received the 2nd score.

It could have changed, but I doubt it.

I received the secondary from Louisville on Friday, but it ended up in my junk email so I didn't notice it until today. Anyone else get one?

Just got the secondary this morning despite being verified since the first day. Does OOS with no ties have any shot?

Secondary received this morning. OOS applicant, relieved to finally get one here.

Hey guys! I'll be a first year med student here starting next week, so if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM!

does U of L wait to send out secondaries until after they've received your MCAT score? I know UK sends them out to all KY residents even before the MCAT score is received...is the same true for U of L?

They do wait, because they only look at your most recent score.

Secondary is in! Waiting on my letter packet to arrive though, I'm assuming they won't review me until then? Good luck to all who apply!

Quick question that y'all may or may not know the answer to: when the application asks for the population of the places you've lived, is it asking for within the city limits or the metro area? I've spent time in Mobile and Pensacola, both of which have small-ish city limits with less residential areas in them, but a much larger metro area population. For instance, only 56,000 people live in the city limits of Pensacola, but 450,000 live in the metro area...it's a pretty big discrepancy and I'm not sure which one they want.

Finally submitted this beast a few days ago. What an ordeal that was...

Hey guys! I'll be a first year med student here starting next week, so if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM!

Took the MCAT on July and still waiting for score but ive been thinking that i didnt do so good. Any words of advice or consollation will be good. What are my chances of being accepted if i have a 3.9 science GPA, alot of research and job shadowing hours, and say a 27 on the MCAT??. 27 is the lowest im hoping to get and 30 should be the most i think ill get.

Complete email received today!! Submitted 7/29. Good luck everyone!!

Would they review my application even if all my letters aren't in? I have 2 already received, but the letter packet from my school will be another two weeks, sadly.

Chances are they won't look at the application until it is fully complete. I don't think you'd want them to look at it either.

On the other hand...oh my gawdd....I bet they make their secondary long so half the people won't want to fill it out.

I definitely think you should apply. Rural KY is in desperate need of physicians.. if you're interested, you might also check out the Pikeville program.

Maybe a strange question, but what in general are the people like around the city? I'm from northeast Kentucky, where everyone is polite, but blissfully ignorant about everything. For example; most everyone has weight problems, so if you do something out of the norm like jog or order a salad, it's grounds for getting laughed at for some reason.

Also, how is the city? I've only been to Louisville once for a track meet, and I didn't see much of it. Is there a lot to do? Nightlife? So on?

Thanks for your help and time!!

I live in Louisville right now. It's quite diverse, we have a lot of refugees here. There are a lot of different ethnic communities.. Somalians, Mexicans, Vietnamese, Burmese, Ethiopians, etc. It's not a huge city, so it's very navigable and doesn't take very long to get anywhere, but it's large enough that there is usually something going on. Very affordable cost of living, and people are generally very friendly.

Don't mean to sound obnoxious, but do they not have the information from AMCAS? I hope they know I'm jumping through their hoops to hopefully get an interview.... (one of my top choice schools, even if their secondary sucks!!!!!!!)

Just FYI for anyone starting this secondary... if your application won't "Save" after you fill in the boxed answers, check your characters. The limit is 500 characters and is supposed to show an automatic error for going over it, but that may or may not be working, so just check that your answers stay within that limit. Good luck!

Does anyone care to share whether it is 500 characters per essay with or without spaces? I'm having trouble getting that first response down to 500...

Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

Does anyone care to share whether it is 500 characters per essay with or without spaces? I'm having trouble getting that first response down to 500...

Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

Don't know for a fact, but every secondary I have had included spaces. I assume this to be the same.

Don't know for a fact, but every secondary I have had included spaces. I assume this to be the same.

Thanks. I figured that was the case, but I was hoping I was wrong. It's tough to paint the picture that I want them to see for a few of these in only 500 characters.

Thanks. I figured that was the case, but I was hoping I was wrong. It's tough to paint the picture that I want them to see for a few of these in only 500 characters.

Completely agree with this. This entire secondary was pretty painful.

Completely agree with this. This entire secondary was pretty painful.

Seriously. I can't stand it when they basically have us completely re-enter our AMCAS stuff into the secondaries.