2013-2014 University of New Mexico Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to all those accepted! Here's to more people on the wait list getting in this year!
Are you still going to UNM?

Members don't see this ad.

It was fun seeing all of you at second look day!

Any movement on the wait list yet?

No official movement yet... Were there a lot of people at second look day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys. Sorry for intruding, but I am an incoming freshman to UNM looking to be in the pre-med route. I was wondering if there was anything you would advise me to do to be on track to UNM SOM that'd be great! UNM SOM is essentially my only route concerning medicine for the reason that I want to stay in New Mexico and the tuition here is incomparable to others.

One main question though: is research in undergrad essential to getting into UNM SOM? If not, how come? Also if your wondering, shadowing doctors is not a problem! I am currently shadowing three different physicians in a diverse amount of professions because it is just too much fun!

Thanks guys.

Hi guys. Sorry for intruding, but I am an incoming freshman to UNM looking to be in the pre-med route. I was wondering if there was anything you would advise me to do to be on track to UNM SOM that'd be great! UNM SOM is essentially my only route concerning medicine for the reason that I want to stay in New Mexico and the tuition here is incomparable to others.

One main question though: is research in undergrad essential to getting into UNM SOM? If not, how come? Also if your wondering, shadowing doctors is not a problem! I am currently shadowing three different physicians in a diverse amount of professions because it is just too much fun!

Thanks guys.

Research can always help your application.

FWIW I had no research.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah- research can be valuable, but not if you're just doing it because you think you have to. The MSAR shows that only 64% of students accepted at UNM had research experience.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks guys.
I would also get involved in some community service organizations.

Thanks guys.
I think the most important advice any of us can give you at this stage in your education is simply get the job done in the classroom. Focus on that first, then you can work on the other aspects of building your application (MCAT, shadowing, volunteering/community service).

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
Thanks a ton for the advice guys. I was waitlisted from BA/MD coming into UNM and I am definitely set on medicine regardless.

The reason I ask about research is because it may or may not be my cup of tea as I give it a try this summer.

Also, ComfortCreature, thanks for the statistic!

As for shadowing, I keep a journal and write notes everyday and log my hours. Is this the right thing to do?
Definitely keep track of your hours. A journal is a smart idea because in 3 years when you have interviews you may forget what you were exposed to then get asked about it (happened to a good friend of mine). As for research, I've done extensive amounts of it because I love it. You should definitely get your feet wet in it because it teaches you critical thinking and helps you develop original thinking, however do what ever interests you. When you interview it's really all about standing out and doing what you're passionate about. I really didn't get my act together about shadowing/volunteering until my junior year (this is pretty common) so kudos to you for starting early!!

Thanks a ton for the advice guys. I was waitlisted from BA/MD coming into UNM and I am definitely set on medicine regardless.

The reason I ask about research is because it may or may not be my cup of tea as I give it a try this summer.

Also, ComfortCreature, thanks for the statistic!

As for shadowing, I keep a journal and write notes everyday and log my hours. Is this the right thing to do?
Shadowing is nice and looks good, but the main thing you need to be focused on is your GPA right now. Worry about shadowing when you are in your junior and senior years. PM me about the BA/MD program.

pic.jpg

Found this pretty cool pic. An 1878 class of medical students. A cross between Breakfast Club and St. Elsewhere...

Your chances don't drop off at all if you apply in September or later.

Hey guys!! I just got
Off the wait list for prep and I am thinking of coming to UNM? Does anyone know any former prep kids that you could put me in touch with?? I've emailed that Duke guy on here already but if you know of anyone else that would be helpful! Also if you know of good places to live in Albuquerque or any girls looking for roommates please let me know

Hey guys!! I just got
Off the wait list for prep and I am thinking of coming to UNM? Does anyone know any former prep kids that you could put me in touch with?? I've emailed that Duke guy on here already but if you know of anyone else that would be helpful! Also if you know of good places to live in Albuquerque or any girls looking for roommates please let me know

PM'd