2013-2014 University of New Mexico Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!! See ya in July!

Thanks! Im going up to Flagstaff this weekend to celebrate and snowboard a bit. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Accepted to UNM's MD/MPH program!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone! Didn't go to UNM but I know the feeling, and med school was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

Are there specific areas you guys are looking at to live (if you've started looking already)? I'll be in Albuquerque for a fellowship year and was curious. Good luck to all of you in your careers!
NE Heights is a good area I have heard. I'm personally looking right around the medical school campus. Most apartments I'm finding are on Indian school road and university.

Reactions: 1 user
DO NOT live at the ones on the corner of IS and university. Trust me.

Best bet is to find a house in the North Campus neighborhood. I'd say 30% or more of my class lives in that general area. Houses will be available for rent starting in June.

The west side is cheaper and you can get some pretty nice places out there, but if you are the kind of person who might be back and forth to/from school, it would be a problem.

Best bet is to find a house in the North Campus neighborhood. I'd say 30% or more of my class lives in that general area. Houses will be available for rent starting in June.

This is where I live. Area is amazing. Since I have a family I am renting a house but there are plenty of apartments in the area.

Good luck everyone! I can't wait to meet all of my new classmates!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the acceptance email on Wednesday! I'm 90% sure I'll be matriculating here. This was my third application cycle and I think I have a good idea where I went wrong on the first two attempts- feel free to message me if you want some help next during the next round. I've been fortunate to get a lot of help and support along the way and want to pay it forward :)

I live 20 miles outside of Abq. I bet you'll get yours by Monday. Talk about ruining a weekend!
you should DEFINITELY not feel like your weekend is ruined. They past two years the #20 spot got in!

In case anyone was interested:

In 2012 they accepted Alternates 1-24
In 2011 they accepted Alternates 1-19
In 2010 they accepted Alternates 1-23
In 2009 they accepted Alternates 1-19

I'm not sure about 2013 but it looks like they went up to at least 26. Does anyone have an exact number on this?

Got the acceptance email on Wednesday! I'm 90% sure I'll be matriculating here. This was my third application cycle and I think I have a good idea where I went wrong on the first two attempts- feel free to message me if you want some help next during the next round. I've been fortunate to get a lot of help and support along the way and want to pay it forward :)

Congrats dude! I remember interviewing with you last cycle, glad you made it!

Oh sorry I didn't mean for me but that long wait living in Arizona!
oh! sorry I totally read it wrong. A weight has been lifted off of me since they released the final decisions so I am just chillin till I get my letter lol.

I'm nearly 100% sure it was 26. I had a friend at whatever number was after the number they stopped at and I think theirs was 27.

In case anyone was interested:

In 2012 they accepted Alternates 1-24
In 2011 they accepted Alternates 1-19
In 2010 they accepted Alternates 1-23
In 2009 they accepted Alternates 1-19

I'm not sure about 2013 but it looks like they went up to at least 26. Does anyone have an exact number on this?

Sorry, don't mean to be a party pooper! Congrats to everyone and best of luck to all.

Last edited:
Sorry, don't mean to be a party pooper! Congrats to everyone and best of luck to all. I also promise to not dispose of those ahead of me on the waitlist! Lol

Looks like I'm in the same boat as you, waitlist #40. Prep it is! Sounds like a great option though. Have you found any info about the program and admissions as far as how many interview vs. how many are accepted?

Looks like I'm in the same boat as you, waitlist #40. Prep it is! Sounds like a great option though. Have you found any info about the program and admissions as far as how many interview vs. how many are accepted?
I talked to someone who has been through the program before and it sounds like they interview 20 and around 7-10 get in. Not bad odds! I can PM you more info if you'd like.

There is a movie made in 1994 called "getting in" where a medical student systematically killed off every student above him on the waitlist.

Just throwing that out there..... :D

Careful, there are reports that accepted applicants have had their admissions revoked based on what they post on SDN, if they figure out who you are.

Received my letter today. #20 :scared:

You're in good shape, I was #21 last year and got the call. Two years prior I was #21 as well and but they only got to #19. Honestly it's a crapshoot.

I'm nearly 100% sure it was 26. I had a friend at whatever number was after the number they stopped at and I think theirs was 27.

It was #26 for our class. I know who it is.

I talked to someone who has been through the program before and it sounds like they interview 20 and around 7-10 get in. Not bad odds! I can PM you more info if you'd like.

That would be awesome! So in the email, it says that we are being recommended for consideration for the prep program. Does that mean we get an interview or that we are being considered to get an interview? lol

Congrats dude! I remember interviewing with you last cycle, glad you made it!

Thanks! It'll be nice to see you under much more relaxed circumstances. Hope first year has been treating you well.

For all of you who have been accepted and have committed to UNM, the current MS-1's are compiling a housing recommendations list for you. This should be available by 2nd Look Day for all of you. If you are going to be moving to ABQ and are looking for housing, then will be a good time to start looking at where you might want to live.

First suggestion: live close to campus so you don't have to drive. You save money on a parking permit, gas, etc.

Second: DO NOT LIVE IN THE APARTMENTS ON THE CORNER OF UNIVERSITY AND INDIAN SCHOOL. rcheech7 has already posted about this. Trust him. Just don't live there.

We'll send out more material as we get it.

Reactions: 1 users
For all of you who have been accepted and have committed to UNM, the current MS-1's are compiling a housing recommendations list for you. This should be available by 2nd Look Day for all of you. If you are going to be moving to ABQ and are looking for housing, then will be a good time to start looking at where you might want to live.

First suggestion: live close to campus so you don't have to drive. You save money on a parking permit, gas, etc.

Second: DO NOT LIVE IN THE APARTMENTS ON THE CORNER OF UNIVERSITY AND INDIAN SCHOOL. rcheech7 has already posted about this. Trust him. Just don't live there.

We'll send out more material as we get it.
Someone on our FB page checked out Netherwood and confirmed this. She said the rooms were small and the place wasn't very up to date for the amount per month.

Are you guys just going to print and hand out the list at second look day? I'll be there :) can't wait to meet you all!!!

Someone on our FB page checked out Netherwood and confirmed this. She said the rooms were small and the place wasn't very up to date for the amount per month.

Are you guys just going to print and hand out the list at second look day? I'll be there :) can't wait to meet you all!!!

We're planning on having something at Second Look Day. Possibly a handout, definitely something on your class FB page.
I won't be able to make Second Look day as I have a prior commitment.

We're planning on having something at Second Look Day. Possibly a handout, definitely something on your class FB page.
I won't be able to make Second Look day as I have a prior commitment.

What time were we supposed to be there next Friday? I signed up for our CV rounds that afternoon.....

What time were we supposed to be there next Friday? I signed up for our CV rounds that afternoon.....
Second look day is the Saturday. Idk what's going on Friday but I'll be at a different second look day.

Second look day is the Saturday. Idk what's going on Friday but I'll be at a different second look day.
Ooohhh so its April 5th not the 4th...not sure where I got the 4th at...too many things in my noggin I guess haha

Ooohhh so its April 5th not the 4th...not sure where I got the 4th at...too many things in my noggin I guess haha
There's a reception on the 4th :) it's ok I thought it was the 4th also for the longest time. Lol

Hi everyone! : ) I am actually not going to be attending anymore. I am giving up my seat because I received a second acceptance elsewhere. I just wanted to thank everyone though for all the helpful comments, advice, and words of encouragement! I'm really happy we sort of went through this journey together ^^ Anyways, best wishes to all you guys matriculating in the fall and best of luck to y'all on the wait list! Don't lose hope. I hope my seat goes to someone who really deserves it :)

Hi everyone! : ) I am actually not going to be attending anymore. I am giving up my seat because I received a second acceptance elsewhere. I just wanted to thank everyone though for all the helpful comments, advice, and words of encouragement! I'm really happy we sort of went through this journey together ^^ Anyways, best wishes to all you guys matriculating in the fall and best of luck to y'all on the wait list! Don't lose hope. I hope my seat goes to someone who really deserves it :)
Sad!!! Good luck with where ever you'll end up :) Maybe we'll see you on the other side!

Congratulations on your second acceptance, and thanks for the open seat! It's nice to be one place closer lol. I hope you have a wonderful time where you are going, and it was nice to struggle through this together along the way!

Congrats to all those accepted! Here's to more people on the wait list getting in this year!