2013-2014 University of New Mexico Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They just have soo many amazing ppl to choose from! they can't decide! lol

Members don't see this ad.

They've decided. It's all about notification now.
Well the email said they are making final decisions so maybe they haven't. I wouldn't see why they wouldn't notify us yet if they have all the lists done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the email said they are making final decisions so maybe they haven't. I wouldn't see why they wouldn't notify us yet if they have all the lists done.

Basically there are ties that need to be broken.

Reactions: 1 user
The clam before the storm? Or perhaps everyone died from anticipation? I know I'm barely hanging on... Lol

I think we are all just a little bit tired of waiting lol. My anxiety has subsided a bit... Hopefully today. If not, we have two more days till friday so it will come either tomorrow or friday. It seems weird that last year they found out the same day and this year nothing yet. As always, best of luck and thinking of all of you guys during this time.

I think we are all just a little bit tired of waiting lol. My anxiety has subsided a bit... Hopefully today. If not, we have two more days till friday so it will come either tomorrow or friday. It seems weird that last year they found out the same day and this year nothing yet. As always, best of luck and thinking of all of you guys during this time.

Two possibilities: the technical issue regarding the website hasn't been resolved (they would probably notify anyways), or there are a couple of last minute ties in applicant scores that need to be broken (more than likely affecting waitlist ranking and the cutoffs between accepted and waitlist, waitlist and rejected). I have no inside knowledge, this is just educated guesses based on previous application cycle experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected :inpain:
Good luck to everyone else who still waiting and I'll greatly appreciate any suggestions, what should I do to improve application? Already graduated from B.Sc and don't really have anything to do.

Rejected :inpain:
Good luck to everyone else who still waiting and I'll greatly appreciate any suggestions, what should I do to improve application? Already graduated from B.Sc and don't really have anything to do.

Go to the post-admissions workshop. Do an exit interview. Whatever the committee says your application was lacking, fix. Basically, they say jump, you say how high.

I know it hurts, I was in your shoes multiple years.

Anyone know how many usually get off the wait list? Any current student on here get off?

Anyone know how many usually get off the wait list? Any current student on here get off?

I was #21 on last year's waitlist. Last year the waitlist moved to #26. I've posted previously about the odds of getting in off of the waitlist based on number.

I got pulled from the waitlist last year. Cant remember my number but they pulled me on May 15th.

Thank you guys for sharing all of this with us. Truly appreciate it

I figure if we are in the top 15 then we have a pretty good shot right? so just got to wait till I get my letter

Oh no :( I'm so sorry for all of you who got rejected. Hopefully I'll see you next year or hopefully you get into another school this year...

For those of you on the waitlist, good luck! Sending happy, positive thoughts your way!

Thank you ChemNerd. I also am sorry for those of you who were rejected. I hope that you are accepted elsewhere or next year.

Accepted. Reapplicant. Went to the exit interview last year. I think thats key to get feedback and show UNM that you are geniunely interested in attending their program.

Reactions: 1 users
I figure if we are in the top 15 then we have a pretty good shot right? so just got to wait till I get my letter

Indeed. Its different every year though so nothing is for sure. Who knows, this might be the year where they only go 10 deep....maybe 35? Its variable. I know that you want to give yourself some sort of reliable measure and you can form a probability but that doesn't make it a certainty. Just keep up with movement as much as you can on the website. Most movement will occur + or - a day or 2 on May 15.

Yes thanks everyone for your support and advice. Good luck elsewhere for those who didn't get in. I'm sure you guys are fantastic and someone will see that!

Congrats on the acceptances!

Peeps on the waitlist don't lose hope! All three of us active med students in this group were once there too! UNM pulls ALOT compared to other places, so your chances are good :)

Rejected peeps, I'll echo what the others have said, go to that workshop!

Reactions: 1 users
wait-listed. been lurking for days. thanks everyone for posting your experiences!

Indeed. Its different every year though so nothing is for sure. Who knows, this might be the year where they only go 10 deep....maybe 35? Its variable. I know that you want to give yourself some sort of reliable measure and you can form a probability but that doesn't make it a certainty. Just keep up with movement as much as you can on the website. Most movement will occur + or - a day or 2 on May 15.

Does everyone hear around May 15 or do people hear sooner depending on their placement.

Also, anyone else get considered for the PrEP program/know more about what it entails?

Wait listed and prep program interview!
Didn't get in but I'm feeling optimistic!
Congrats to those that got in and good luck to those of us on the wait list!

Does everyone hear around May 15 or do people hear sooner depending on their placement.

Also, anyone else get considered for the PrEP program/know more about what it entails?

May 15th is the national deadline for all accepted applicants to commit to one medical school. Those holding multiple acceptances must only hold one after that date. So, most movement will happen around May 15th. UNM will have a running count of what number they have reached on the waitlist on the admissions website. They will update the list every week, usually on a Monday or Tuesday. Last year on the week of May 15th, the number was 11 according to the website, but it moved to 22 by the next week. Every class is different. Like Ost3oclast said, some years the list only moves to 10, other years it's moved to 35 and beyond.

With that said, I encourage everybody who is holding acceptances to attend Second-Look Day on April 4th and 5th. You'll meet rcheech7, Ost3oclast and myself; meet your potential future classmates; tour the campus more in-depth than during your interview tours; and meet the faculty. Second Look Day is when UNM really "sells" itself to those applicants who have been accepted.

Regarding PrEP, the only person I know who is in my class, on SDN, and a PrEP alumni is Duke1804. PM him and he can answer most of your questions.

If you want to get an idea of the waitlist movement, take a look at last year's UNM application thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ind...sity-of-New-Mexico-Application-Thread.895387/

Wait listed and prep program interview!
Didn't get in but I'm feeling optimistic!
Congrats to those that got in and good luck to those of us on the wait list!
You already have a Prep interview?? I was given that option in the email.. and it said I had till next Wednesday to call and decide if I want an interview or something like that.

You already have a Prep interview?? I was given that option in the email.. and it said I had till next Wednesday to call and decide if I want an interview or something like that.

It doesn't hurt to call and request an interview.

To quote Kinky Friedman: "Why the hell not?"

Accepted. Reapplicant. Went to the exit interview last year. I think thats key to get feedback and show UNM that you are geniunely interested in attending their program.
Congrats!! See ya in July!

I would do it for sure. 100%

No not yet, I just got the option as well. But I will be calling tomorrow for sure!

For our Waitlist veterans, how long after the initial notification did you receive the letter in the mail?

No not yet, I just got the option as well. But I will be calling tomorrow for sure!

For our Waitlist veterans, how long after the initial notification did you receive the letter in the mail?

Geez I cant remember. I want to say a couple of weeks....the letter you will get will give you your number out of 50 and some other info you already know ( they roughly take 25 a year blah blah). From then on out it is just keeping up with the website. I think my parents still have my waitlist letter on their fridge with my number circled haha

1-2 days, depending on where you live.

It was probably that long but it felt like forever haha
Yeah it seemed like mine took forever. Then again I lived pretty far down south.....its been so long I cant remember. I've been forced to make room for other memories.