2013-2014 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! Feels good.

In-State, 3.81c, 3.71s, 34R

Members don't see this ad.

There is no deposit this year, only a form you need to fill out and submit.

how long does the whole interview "day" take? including the optional tour and lunch.

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
how long does the whole interview "day" take? including the optional tour and lunch.

thanks

If you have a morning interview, you interview and then the optional tour and lunch starts at noon and ends around 1:30 pm. If you have a afternoon interview, you arrive by noon and then you have your interview at either 2 or 3 pm. Then you are done after your interview which is approximately 45 minutes.

For those who got accepted, did you all receive the acceptance packet by mail? How long does it take to come in?

II just now for Nov. 22. Was expecting a rejection like last year so this is a pleasant surprise.

Complete 9/27

edit: changed date style for you Americans

Last edited:
II just now! Never got a complete email, but submitted my secondary October 7th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Invite today for 11/25.
Complete email 8/19 OOS

Does anyone know if Wayne is receptive to interview schedule changes?

Interview Invite today for 11/25, but had to reschedule for 11/27 due to an anatomy exam. They are very receptive to changes, I just called and they changed it right away.
Canadian Applicant, complete Sept 6.
MCAT 31, (10/11/10)
cGPA: 3.82
sGPA: 3.77

Average ECs (I think).

Canadian applicant
Interview invite received 10/28/13 for 11/25
Secondary complete 9/27/13
MCAT 36R, (PS 11, VR 10, BS 15)
cGPA: 3.79
sGPA: 3.85

Based on the stats on the WSU website, it looks like last year 164 OOS+Int'l students were offered admission and the MSAR says 231 OOS+Int'l applicants were interviewed last year, putting the post-interview admissions odds at about 70%. I like those odds! Can someone double-check to make sure there aren't any flaws in my statistics?

I'll be withdrawing my application/II. Hope one of you get it!

Hmmm. Maybe I'll call them today. I'm really hoping my acceptance wasn't a mistake :eek:
haha i have been waiting for the official mail to come me so I can be sure I'm accepted. A "Word Art" email made me a little uncertain :p I'm 100% sure though if you got the email, then you're in :)

For what it's worth I still worry sometimes that my acceptance was a mistake and I'm in the middle of my second year.

The clip art throws everyone off... sigh, one day they will leave the late 90s.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll call them today. I'm really hoping my acceptance wasn't a mistake :eek:

haha i have been waiting for the official mail to come me so I can be sure I'm accepted. A "Word Art" email made me a little uncertain :p I'm 100% sure though if you got the email, then you're in :)

For what it's worth I still worry sometimes that my acceptance was a mistake and I'm in the middle of my second year.

The clip art throws everyone off... sigh, one day they will leave the late 90s.
Got the letter in the mail today. I guess I can stop holding my breath now, haha

Reactions: 1 user
Well yeah it's a public school there's heavy in-state bias.

Since i'm in-state, I have no problem with that whatsoever. :smuggrin:

----

Regarding numbers, it seems you can get a decent picture:

4655 applicants (1481 IS, 3174 OOS)
~1200 secondaries (would be fair to assume about a 2:1 IS bias or so - that leads to 800:400 IS/OOS)
~800 total interviews (about 75% of those are IS)
365 offers made IS
164 offers made OOS

Regarding this information:

1) where did you find this?
2) I am OOS and have an interview 11/11 and by these numbers you are saying that of those interviewed (OOS) 800 interviewed x 25% means 200 OOS interviewed. 164/200 interviewed accepted? There is not way this is true I feel like?Plus 50% of OOS secondaries get an II? Don't get me wrong, those odds would be incredible and I am excited if they are correct, but just very curious!

Being OOS and getting an interview at Wayne is a very good sign, so go in to your interview with confidence and blow it out of the park! Applying to Wayne from out of state still carries about a 5 percent acceptance rate all told so continue to be stoked you got to this point and have a great interview :)

I believe those numbers are from the MSAR.

Regarding this information:

1) where did you find this?
2) I am OOS and have an interview 11/11 and by these numbers you are saying that of those interviewed (OOS) 800 interviewed x 25% means 200 OOS interviewed. 164/200 interviewed accepted? There is not way this is true I feel like?Plus 50% of OOS secondaries get an II? Don't get me wrong, those odds would be incredible and I am excited if they are correct, but just very curious!

Being OOS and getting an interview at Wayne is a very good sign, so go in to your interview with confidence and blow it out of the park! Applying to Wayne from out of state still carries about a 5 percent acceptance rate all told so continue to be stoked you got to this point and have a great interview :)

I believe those numbers are from the MSAR.

Thank you very much for the reply, makes things much more clear! I am very excited to have made it this far, and am excited to hear more about the program.

Got the letter in the mail today. I guess I can stop holding my breath now, haha

Oh man, I live prettttty dang close to Detroit and still haven't got mine. I'll call on Monday, I suppose. When do they need our decision by?

Hey guys, quick question, does Wayne send snail mail stuff to your permanent address on AMCAS or the preferred address you stated on AMCAS?

I have a few questions about Wayne. I was just offered an II (OOS), which I'm really stoked about - but I am concerned about the cost. OOS CoA is ~$88k/yr and, as I understand it, you can't change residency when you're there. Are there any sort of grant/scholarship type programs, or do OOS kids typically just bite the bullet and pony up?

I've heard that the interview is relatively straightforward (why med/why Wayne/Detroit), any hot tips for qs to be on the lookout for?

An MS3 I was talking to was saying how they're currently restructuring their preclinical curriculum a bit, any news or word on that? Also, Wayne is associated with this really robust hospital network, but it uses a lottery system to assign students. I know that people at Henry Ford and DMC get a top-notch education and take 2/3 of the class, can any current students speak to the experiences at Oakwood (no residents) or St. John's and Providence (IMG rotators and more IMG residents)?

Excited to come interview here!

I have a few questions about Wayne. I was just offered an II (OOS), which I'm really stoked about - but I am concerned about the cost. OOS CoA is ~$88k/yr and, as I understand it, you can't change residency when you're there.

I'm pretty sure you can change residency. On their website (don't have the link- but you can google residency wayne state or somethign along those lines) it mentions you need to be in state (physically) for 6 months straight. My understanding was that most OOS convert to IS by staying in Michigan from Jan-June. Could be wrong though. Any other insights?

I'm pretty sure you can change residency. On their website (don't have the link- but you can google residency wayne state or somethign along those lines) it mentions you need to be in state (physically) for 6 months straight. My understanding was that most OOS convert to IS by staying in Michigan from Jan-June. Could be wrong though. Any other insights?

I know for other schools, many people pay the hefty price tag for OOS tuition the first year, then receive IS tuition for years 2-4 after establishing residency for their first year. Just a thought in case you are still in school until May, and therefore are unable to make the move before med school starts!

I know for other schools, many people pay the hefty price tag for OOS tuition the first year, then receive IS tuition for years 2-4 after establishing residency for their first year. Just a thought in case you are still in school until May, and therefore are unable to make the move before med school starts!
Oh yeah, sorry, I meant Jan-June of the first year

Is this true? I know some other schools have this policy, but reading through past Wayne State threads, it looks like Michigan public schools don't. My cursory Google seems to confirm that. Any current OOS students want to clear this up?

This is NOT true for Wayne. OOS really get screwed here when it comes to tuition. The only circumstances in which you can qualify for residency is if 1) both your parents move here 2) you're employed full-time (which you won't be as a med student) or 3) Your spouse is employed in Michigan full-time AND you can prove that is the reason for your move to Michigan (which is very hard considering you'll be in medical school). Buying a house, registering to vote, paying state income taxes, etc. do not qualify for residency. It is totally insane but probably designed to prevent what you guys are talking about from happening. See this for full details: http://reg.wayne.edu/pdf-forms/residen-form.pdf so you're stuck paying the $88k/yr for all 4 years. A few people in my class will graduate with >$350,000 in debt, so be very careful about finances when picking Wayne for OOS (IS is pretty comparable to most places).

An MS3 I was talking to was saying how they're currently restructuring their preclinical curriculum a bit, any news or word on that? Also, Wayne is associated with this really robust hospital network, but it uses a lottery system to assign students. I know that people at Henry Ford and DMC get a top-notch education and take 2/3 of the class, can any current students speak to the experiences at Oakwood (no residents) or St. John's and Providence (IMG rotators and more IMG residents)?

For now, there won't be many changes to the pre-clinical curriculum. Wayne moves slowly. The biggest thing that is changing is the clinical medicine (i.e. How to be a doctor) course for the first two years that has been redesigned to improve biostats/epi, and some of the -ahem- less important lectures have been phased out. They are also working on some very light PBL but for now it is just a pilot program led by senior med students and optional for first and second years. When you get here, there might be minor changes under the hood from what there is now, but you'll still get the old-school lecture based normal function first year, pathology and management second year.

As for sites that aren't DMC or HFHS, first of all, while it is a lottery and there are some people every year who don't get their choice of hospital, over 90% do. This is because there are a fair number of people who choose the other hospitals either because they're close to where they live, or they don't want to work hard and so go to Oakwood. Keep in mind that your chances of going to DMC and HFHS are still very good (and much better than 2/3) and will likely only increase as Ford wants more Wayne State students (last year they stopped sending students to St. Joe's in Ann Arbor and those 6-7 spots went to Ford).

I'm not 100% the most qualified person to speak about outlying hospitals because I was at DMC, but from friends who were at those other hospitals, the experience was variable. The benefit to the other places was that you had much more flexibility - if there was a cool surgery going on you had a good chance to scrub it because you weren't competing with residents and your other clinical responsibilities were less. Essentially, it's much more what you make of it than DMC or Ford where you have no choice but to learn a lot. If you want to go home at 1pm every day on surgery at Oakwood, you can and will still get good evals. Obviously this will hurt you in the long run. Also, Oakwood is combined with the VA, so if you get Oakwood, you'll be there half the time and at the VA the other half. The VA is ran by DMC residents and a good portion of attendings are also at DMC, so you'll get a lot of that and you'll get much more exposure to sick patients and do quite a lot. People love St. John. It's pretty big, with a diversity of patient population (both wealthy Grosse Pointe patients and trauma from the East Side of Detroit) and they have residents in all the specialties you'll be rotating through (plus free lunch every day). Providence I have no idea because only 4-5 rotate there every year, as far as I know.

You'll get IMG residents at every site (including DMC and Ford) because you're in Detroit and AMGs don't want to come here regardless of the quality of programs. Some are great (the best resident I've ever worked with was a Carib grad) and some aren't, it's just luck of the draw. IMG med students at St. John and Providence generally don't have great reputations among the attendings (show up late, don't know much, etc.) so it's not hard for Wayne students to shine.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the info! Given that I'm carrying $50k in debt already, that $88k CoA is looking mighty serious. Good to know that most students who want to rotate at DMC/HFHS do so, too.

WOW! This changes everything. :(. Do you know of those who came early and/or worked fulltime over the summer to obtain residency?
This is NOT true for Wayne. OOS really get screwed here when it comes to tuition. The only circumstances in which you can qualify for residency is if 1) both your parents move here 2) you're employed full-time (which you won't be as a med student) or 3) Your spouse is employed in Michigan full-time AND you can prove that is the reason for your move to Michigan (which is very hard considering you'll be in medical school). Buying a house, registering to vote, paying state income taxes, etc. do not qualify for residency. It is totally insane but probably designed to prevent what you guys are talking about from happening. See this for full details: http://reg.wayne.edu/pdf-forms/residen-form.pdf so you're stuck paying the $88k/yr for all 4 years. A few people in my class will graduate with >$350,000 in debt, so be very careful about finances when picking Wayne for OOS (IS is pretty comparable to most places).

WOW! This changes everything. :(. Do you know of those who came early and/or worked fulltime over the summer to obtain residency?

If you read the document I linked to, it explicitly states that you must prove the primary reason for your move to Michigan was for the purposes of obtaining full-time employment. So even if you move early you won't get in-state residency because the primary reason for your move to Michigan is for attending school.

Look, if you're OOS you have to resign yourself to the fact that you will be paying OOS tuition all 4 years. Period.

There is some merit and need based aid available but don't count on it.

But hey, MSU CHM is even more expensive. So it could be worse.

If you read the document I linked to, it explicitly states that you must prove the primary reason for your move to Michigan was for the purposes of obtaining full-time employment. So even if you move early you won't get in-state residency because the primary reason for your move to Michigan is for attending school.

Look, if you're OOS you have to resign yourself to the fact that you will be paying OOS tuition all 4 years. Period.

There is some merit and need based aid available but don't count on it.

But hey, MSU CHM is even more expensive. So it could be worse.

Lol well I'm detecting attitude from your post, if you're annoyed with me, sorry. Wayne State needs to reassess that policy though because it really does limit their matriculation pool. <--my opinion

Lol well I'm detecting attitude from your post, if you're annoyed with me, sorry. Wayne State needs to reassess that policy though because it really does limit their matriculation pool. <--my opinion

Uh, i'm pretty sure they don't care.

See their Mission: The mission of the Wayne State University School of Medicine is to provide the Michigan community with medical and biotechnical resources, in the form of scientific knowledge and trained professionals, so as to improve the overall health of the community.

A lot of public schools have similar aims - pump out physicians to serve their community. As a result they will prefer in-state students since they are likely to stay in-state. It doesn't really "limit" their matriculation pool because like every other medical school out there, they have more potential students than available spots, by quite a large margin.

Uh, i'm pretty sure they don't care.

See their Mission: The mission of the Wayne State University School of Medicine is to provide the Michigan community with medical and biotechnical resources, in the form of scientific knowledge and trained professionals, so as to improve the overall health of the community.

A lot of public schools have similar aims - pump out physicians to serve their community. As a result they will prefer in-state students since they are likely to stay in-state. It doesn't really "limit" their matriculation pool because like every other medical school out there, they have more potential students than available spots, by quite a large margin.

Yeah cool. However, Wayne is also pretty into people matching up to their mission statement in terms of future work with the underserved, demonstrated current commitment to the underserved. Bet some of the awesome OOS folks they interview match up pretty well---even better than some of the IS people they interview. And a lot of those people may have offers elsewhere--making those applicant's Wayne State matriculation rate pretty low.

So cool. Thanks for your opinion. Here's mine! :)

Yeah cool. However, Wayne is also pretty into people matching up to their mission statement in terms of future work with the underserved, demonstrated current commitment to the underserved. Bet some of the awesome OOS folks they interview match up pretty well---even better than some of the IS people they interview. And a lot of those people may have offers elsewhere--making those applicant's Wayne State matriculation rate pretty low.

So cool. Thanks for your opinion. Here's mine! :)

Oh i'm sure they do. As with any school. That said, Wayne is publicly funded and will always prefer IS applicants. For the few OOS that do want to end up at Wayne, they (as in Wayne) end up getting a lot of $$$. So it works out for them both ways. For the record, I think this is less of a school-specific thing and more of a state-specific law. It's easier to establish residency in OH for MS2-4 than it is in most states.

Oh i'm sure they do. As with any school. That said, Wayne is publicly funded and will always prefer IS applicants. For the few OOS that do want to end up at Wayne, they (as in Wayne) end up getting a lot of $$$. So it works out for them both ways. For the record, I think this is less of a school-specific thing and more of a state-specific law. It's easier to establish residency in OH for MS2-4 than it is in most states.
Yeah, very true. A lot of those I know that were able to switch residency easily were in OH. Its definitely a tradeoff going OOS though, you're right.

Is there a Facebook group for accepted students yet?!?