2022-2023 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what the grading system is (i.e. is it pass/fail)?
3rd year is Satisfactory, Satisfactory with Clinical or Academic Commendations, Honors. You need to Honor at least 24 weeks of 3rd year or reach enough points (approx. all HP with at least 1 Honor) for 3rd year commendation and qualification for AOA consideration.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a specific day or time of the month Wayne typically gives out decisions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure what year you are, but do you feel that the large class size hinders you from having a lot of unique opportunities? i.e. rotations in hospitals, research, volunteering, etc.
So sorry, I never got any notifications! Definitely not! I absolutely love the large class size at wayne. I feel like there are so many students, so it is inevitable that you are going to find a group of friends with similar interests. Also, because of the large class size and Wayne's reputation, I feel like we get more opportunities in terms of conferences, volunteering, and collaborations with local doctors/hospitals/clinics. There are also a bunch of research opportunities. You can do formal research through an elective or you can find your own research! The staff at the hospitals we rotate at are very responsive and want students to be involved, so it isn't difficult to find a research project that you can join. In terms of volunteering, you are required to do 7 hours (broken down into specific types/categories) each block. There are a million and one volunteer opportunities in clinics, skills nights, outreach programs, and more that allow you to accumulate these hours. You can also run for an eboard position for these organizations and accumulate a bunch of hours this way too!

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for taking the time! could you talk a little about how clinical rotations work here (ie how are sites chosen, electives scheduled etc)? are there opportunities for early clinical exposure to non-core specialties?

also class-wise is there internal ranking? would you say it's competitive among your classmates? how much/what kind of support do you get from professors and educators? how well-prepared did you feel for boards and what steps did you have to take outside of class to put your best foot forward there?

how easy is it to find research here? is it something most/a lot of students partake in?

thank you!!
So sorry, I never got any notifications! So you do your core rotations your third year. Basically, you get to rank the hospitals you want to rotate at that we are associated with. Then the school assigns you your hospitals for each of your specialties, taking into account your ranking. This happens during the middle-to-end of M2. You can definitely shadow doctors in any speciality you choose during M1 and M2! We have a program where doctors that are associated w/ Wayne in some way, shape, or form (i.e., they went to med school here, they work at a WSUSOM affiliated hospital, did their residency through DMC, teach at Wayne, etc) openly allow students to join them in clinic or in the hospital. You can start doing this as soon as your class goes through the info session for this program (it happens a month or two into M1).

There is no internal ranking. We operate on a pass/fail system with the option to receive honors if you score overall 1 SD above the mean for the entire year (segment). So this means you can honors M1 or M2, but not an individual block. The environment at Wayne is SO SO collaborate. It's the complete opposite of the toxic pre-med culture many of us experienced during undergrad. Even students that are aiming to honors are incredibly collaborative to the point that you can't even tell who is trying to score at the very top. I absolutely love that about wayne!!!! Our professors are equally as collaborative. Once you get into Wayne, they want you to succeed and they will do anything in their power to help you get through it. So there are a plethora of resources that can help you understand the material and help you get to a point where you are fully confident in your abilities to tackle the info we are given. I haven't taken my step exams yet, so I cannot fully comment on this. However, I know Wayne has a Step 1 program they basically put us in during M2 that helps prepare us for the exam starting from the beginning of M2. They want students to succeed and we have a very high pass rate. I cannot remember the % off the top of my head, but it is available online if you search it!

It is incredibly easy to find research! You can do a formal research elective during M1 or you can find your own research by email doctors conducting research through the medical school. These doctors want students on their team, so they are usually very receptive to students asking if they can join their project! I know some people that are on 4-5 different research teams, so it is definitely doable to find one that fits what you're looking for and it can be balanced with school work!

So sorry, I never got any notifications! So you do your core rotations your third year. Basically, you get to rank the hospitals you want to rotate at that we are associated with. Then the school assigns you your hospitals for each of your specialties, taking into account your ranking. This happens during the middle-to-end of M2. You can definitely shadow doctors in any speciality you choose during M1 and M2! We have a program where doctors that are associated w/ Wayne in some way, shape, or form (i.e., they went to med school here, they work at a WSUSOM affiliated hospital, did their residency through DMC, teach at Wayne, etc) openly allow students to join them in clinic or in the hospital. You can start doing this as soon as your class goes through the info session for this program (it happens a month or two into M1).

There is no internal ranking. We operate on a pass/fail system with the option to receive honors if you score overall 1 SD above the mean for the entire year (segment). So this means you can honors M1 or M2, but not an individual block. The environment at Wayne is SO SO collaborate. It's the complete opposite of the toxic pre-med culture many of us experienced during undergrad. Even students that are aiming to honors are incredibly collaborative to the point that you can't even tell who is trying to score at the very top. I absolutely love that about wayne!!!! Our professors are equally as collaborative. Once you get into Wayne, they want you to succeed and they will do anything in their power to help you get through it. So there are a plethora of resources that can help you understand the material and help you get to a point where you are fully confident in your abilities to tackle the info we are given. I haven't taken my step exams yet, so I cannot fully comment on this. However, I know Wayne has a Step 1 program they basically put us in during M2 that helps prepare us for the exam starting from the beginning of M2. They want students to succeed and we have a very high pass rate. I cannot remember the % off the top of my head, but it is available online if you search it!

It is incredibly easy to find research! You can do a formal research elective during M1 or you can find your own research by email doctors conducting research through the medical school. These doctors want students on their team, so they are usually very receptive to students asking if they can join their project! I know some people that are on 4-5 different research teams, so it is definitely doable to find one that fits what you're looking for and it can be balanced with school work!
Thank you for taking the time to give us such a detailed response! I saw on Wayne's curriculum site that there's also a Step 2 CK prep course. I know you said you haven't taken steps yet, but do you know if this step 2 dedicated period is as long and dedicated as the step 1 program you mentioned?

So sorry, I never got any notifications! Definitely not! I absolutely love the large class size at wayne. I feel like there are so many students, so it is inevitable that you are going to find a group of friends with similar interests. Also, because of the large class size and Wayne's reputation, I feel like we get more opportunities in terms of conferences, volunteering, and collaborations with local doctors/hospitals/clinics. There are also a bunch of research opportunities. You can do formal research through an elective or you can find your own research! The staff at the hospitals we rotate at are very responsive and want students to be involved, so it isn't difficult to find a research project that you can join. In terms of volunteering, you are required to do 7 hours (broken down into specific types/categories) each block. There are a million and one volunteer opportunities in clinics, skills nights, outreach programs, and more that allow you to accumulate these hours. You can also run for an eboard position for these organizations and accumulate a bunch of hours this way too!
Do you know the acceptance % for people who applied to the research scholarly concentrations? Also, since Wayne only has a month of "summer" between M1 and M2, do med students still have opportunities to do summer research fellowships like some other med schools? Or would majority of the research Wayne students do be balanced during the school years?

Do you know the acceptance % for people who applied to the research scholarly concentrations? Also, since Wayne only has a month of "summer" between M1 and M2, do med students still have opportunities to do summer research fellowships like some other med schools? Or would majority of the research Wayne students do be balanced during the school years?
I don't know the % off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure almost all, if not all, the students that applied for a scholarly concentration were accepted. I have yet to hear about a classmate that applied and wasn't accepted. You can do a summer research fellowship during the summer at different institutions if you so please, but the majority of students balance research with school throughout the year. M1, M2, and especially M4 definitely give you the flexibility to add research to your schedule!

I don't know the % off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure almost all, if not all, the students that applied for a scholarly concentration were accepted. I have yet to hear about a classmate that applied and wasn't accepted. You can do a summer research fellowship during the summer at different institutions if you so please, but the majority of students balance research with school throughout the year. M1, M2, and especially M4 definitely give you the flexibility to add research to your schedule!
Gotcha. Thanks so much!

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a detailed response! I saw on Wayne's curriculum site that there's also a Step 2 CK prep course. I know you said you haven't taken steps yet, but do you know if this step 2 dedicated period is as long and dedicated as the step 1 program you mentioned?
Anytime! Based on what I have heard from those in they years above me, the dedicated period is slightly shorter for Step 2. I am assuming the Step 2 course is also year-long like the Step 1 course is, but I also don't fully know! Sorry about that. If step 2 dedicated is shorter like I have heard, I could see them extending the dedicated period since step 1 is P/F if they see students needing more time, but from my understanding, students tend to do better on step 2 just because they have already learned how to most efficiently study during step 1 dedicated

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m an M4 currently in the Step 2 prep course. The step 2 prep course is 1 month long and is basically an open month to study during. It can be scheduled during any block between April and October. Some people who feel like they need more time to study will take an online elective or an easy elective (like anesthesia or radiology) immediately before their step 2 prep month so that they have ~2 months to study.

Reactions: 1 users
Obviously a little premature as school hasn’t started but family is already asking, how many guests are we allowed to bring to the white coat ceremony? Is it still 4?

So we'll have to receive the copy from our letter writers? Thank you for the reply!
I was told by the admissions team that you would upload it directly to the portal, so yes, I assume you would have to upload it yourself.

Last edited:
Did anyone get a substantial scholarship? Also, does Wayne tuition match?

Anxiously waiting lol, does anybody know if the tracker updates after or before emails are sent out?

Do they tell applicants if they’re admitted before or after they update the tracker?

And do my children count against this?
Not sure about this year, but last year it was 4 tickets by default and you could request up to 2 more tickets. Students in my class were also giving tickets to other classmates that needed extra tickets if they weren't using theirs. My guess is it'll either be the same or you will probably be allowed more guests since COVID restrictions on campus have lightened since last summer. I believe children count as long as they require a seat, but I would definitely ask whoever is in charge this year once classes start (especially if you're OOS and guests need to arrange travel!)

Withdrew my A. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
bro i just got in 😭😭😭😭😭 thank you to everyone who withdrew their A y’all are so real

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
honestly me either, i was in complete shock that i got the email at 9pm pst last night 😭 i’m guessing it was bc of the monday deadline. i’m so grateful tho bc i’ve been WAITING for wayne
Omg congrats!! Crossing my fingers to be next 😭🤞🏻

• Love
has anyone received a post-WL R yet? there was a wave that came out this time last year

• Hmm