2013-2014 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations!!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you everyone. Interviewing here very soon. Cannot wait!

Is there any advantage to interviewing early at non-rolling schools like Yale or would they forget me if I interview early?

Is there any advantage to interviewing early at non-rolling schools like Yale or would they forget me if I interview early?
No advantage, see below from the II email I received

''Keep in mind that our admissions process is non-rolling, which means that the date of your interview will have no effect on the final decision.''

Hey Everybody,

Has anyone tried to upload an abstract/CV/etc? It's not accepting my .pdf.

Thanks!

II today! AAAAAAHHHHHHH... This is my top school. I'm kinda going crazy right now. It's just an interview though.. but still! Stats: from CA, 39, 3.9. Complete 8/12.

Members don't see this ad :)
II today ! This was definitely one of my reach schools so excited isn't the word lol.

II today! AAAAAAHHHHHHH... This is my top school. I'm kinda going crazy right now. It's just an interview though.. but still! Stats: from CA, 39, 3.9. Complete 8/12.

Congrats, that's awesome!!

Interview invite!!! Hollyyyyy crap. Complete 8/14 (ish). Interviewing end of October. So excited, this place seems amazing.

Anyone know how many students Yale interviews and how many are accepted?

Thanks!

Anyone know how many students Yale interviews and how many are accepted?

Thanks!

Here are USNWR's data:
4103 applicants
781 interviewed
266 accepted
100 matriculated

Yay, grats Khaleesi! When are you going to interview?

On that note, YAY, I got an interview invite too. :D

The Yale System seems super cool. GONNA DIE OF HEART ATTACK. :love:

Completed 12 July 2013, OOS

Even though I'm male, if I adopt the Khaleesi mindset, do you think that will help my chances of getting a II here?? Or should I channel Khal Drogo?

Even though I'm male, if I adopt the Khaleesi mindset, do you think that will help my chances of getting a II here?? Or should I channel Khal Drogo?

Just don't use any blood magic.

does anyone know if Yale sends out rejection letters? completed a month ago and still didn't hear anything back... my dream school...

does anyone know if Yale sends out rejection letters? completed a month ago and still didn't hear anything back... my dream school...

They don't send any results (either way) until mid-March.

Considering that Yale doesn't operate on a rolling basis, would it still be disadvantageous to apply now?

Considering that Yale doesn't operate on a rolling basis, would it still be disadvantageous to apply now?

Did you not answer your own question?

Did you not answer your own question?

No, because I`m not sure if it refers to when applications are submitted, when the interview is conducted, or both.

No, because I`m not sure if it refers to when applications are submitted, when the interview is conducted, or both.

In theory, it's both. Actually, you are at an advantage to get an interview if you apply early but since non-rolling schools decide on all their applications at once having an earlier interview doesn't matter. Schools that are non-rolling start admitting before everyone has interviewed so over time spots in the class fill up.

In general, however, I don't understand why everyone is asking a variation of this question on SDN. If you really want to apply to a given school, you'll do it. It's not as though you are looking to add on a safety to your list after not getting good news from other places by adding Yale....

In theory, it's both. Actually, you are at an advantage to get an interview if you apply early but since non-rolling schools decide on all their applications at once having an earlier interview doesn't matter. Schools that are non-rolling start admitting before everyone has interviewed so over time spots in the class fill up.

In general, however, I don't understand why everyone is asking a variation of this question on SDN. If you really want to apply to a given school, you'll do it. It's not as though you are looking to add on a safety to your list after not getting good news from other places by adding Yale....

Thanks for the info.

AAMC's MSAR listed different academic requirements at the beginning of this application cycle that discouraged me from applying. Having checked again recently, the requirements have changed and suddenly allow me to apply. That's why I'm applying now.

Anyone interview and have any positive or negative feedback?!

btw their lunch options sound so delicious...definitely had a hard time picking first and second choices :D Can't wait to visit!

btw their lunch options sound so delicious...definitely had a hard time picking first and second choices :D Can't wait to visit!

Bump - very curious about how this interview day went, mine is coming up! Any tips are much appreciated :)

Bump - very curious about how this interview day went, mine is coming up! Any tips are much appreciated :)

I had a pretty good interview day (can't compare to other schools though—this is the only one I've attended so far.). I think mine was their second interview day of the cycle.

My interview day had 7 people (very interesting, diverse group of people). In the morning we met with Mr. Silverman (the Director of Admissions, not Dean!) at the admissions office; he was a very nice, very chatty guy. I stayed with a student host, and the admissions office is in the dorms, so it was literally 4 floors down; really convenient.

In the office, Mr. Silverman gave us a briefing on what was to happen that day, then sat with us in the lobby to answer any questions until each interviewee decides to leave for their morning interviews (we had different times).

I went to my first interview which was ~5 mins away in another building. I had no surprise questions; everything that was asked was in Yale's SDN interview feedback page. It was semi-conversational, but mostly Q&A for me.

Then I came back to the admissions office, and talked to the other interviewees until lunchtime. I was surprised to find that most of them (if not all) weren't from HYPMS/Ivy/super-elite schools!

Lunch was supposed to be with one faculty and one student, but not sure what happened to the faculty. Instead, we had a fifth-year student (Yale has that free fifth year that a lot of people take advantage of). He was really nice, really straightforward. Lunch was a-OK. Sandwich, chips, fruit, water. Sandwich might have been good, but I don't like sandwiches in general :oops:

After lunch was the tour. There were three students taking us around the school. Every student we met seemed really happy; really good sign. Every person constantly emphasized how you should go there only if you feel that you would fit into the Yale system (right... like I was choosing whether I would accept Yale? I think they got it backwards).

Then it was time for my second interview. Again, no surprise questions. This interview got me a little worried, because the interviewer was really brief. It was hardly conversational at all: the interviewer would ask a question; I would answer; a short "OK, good!" and then on to the next question. I was out in 15 minutes :(

There was no formal farewell because each interviewee had different times, but I came back to the admissions office and some of them were still there. Asked them how it went, and I freaked out because their interviews were 45mins-1hour but mine were 30mins and 15mins :scared:

Then I met with my (really nice) host again to change out of my suit and say bye. Host told me the person who interviewed me for 15mins was a really busy person; I tried to convince myself that was why it was so short, and not because I bombed it. :rolleyes: As a consolation prize, I got my 2nd II while sitting downstairs waiting for my cab :naughty:

All in all, I really loved Yale, but didn't feel like my interview went awesome.. Wished it wasn't my first one. But we will see in March! And that's my long ramble about my interview day.

Last edited:
AHH! Interview invite just now. WHAT. Yale :love:

Just got the invite too! WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

submitted! I know it's late...but eh.

Last edited:
OMG!!! interview invite! I dont know how to process this. ahhhh:D

OMG!!! interview invite! I dont know how to process this. ahhhh:D

Congratulations! Process with a huge Hurrah and some celebratory squeals! (or if you prefer, manly affirmations :p)

Congratulations! Process with a huge Hurrah and some celebratory squeals! (or if you prefer, manly affirmations :p)

TCwC2.gif

3.9/40 mcat international. Is it worth completing secondary at this point or is it too late?