2013-2014 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wondering the same thing. What qualifies as an "academic" position?

As I have been wondering the same thing, I wanted to bump this question so it doesn't get lost in the mix!

Members don't see this ad.

Does Yale School of Medicine give secondary to anyone? I recieved mine 7/2. My primary verification from AMCAS is not completed and I didn't think that I would get a secondary from Yale but now that I recieved it I'm surprised and excited!

^yeah they give it to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think qualifies an "Academic / Research Position?" I have had some definitive research positions, but I don't know if, say, being a tutor is necessarily an academic position.

My guess is that for traditional applicants, being a TA for a course would be the most common "academic" position. If I understand what you mean, I wouldn't include tutoring under that classification.

NCKSD said:
^yeah they give it to everyone.

But you should still be excited! :cool:

My guess is that for traditional applicants, being a TA for a course would be the most common "academic" position. If I understand what you mean, I wouldn't include tutoring under that classification.

But you should still be excited! :cool:

Agreed! I think anything you can see an academic physician doing would be appropriate.

Agreed! I think anything you can see an academic physician doing would be appropriate.

This question is so small so I know my pressing this issue is so silly, but as Yale is a dream school for me I got "the stress" from this application.

I was an elementary school summer teacher for a summer. Obviously, this wasn't "academic" in the same sense as my desire to pursue "academic medicine," but it was a paid teaching position so I'm still not sure whether to include it.

I also was employed by my school to be the school's tutor for physics (I attended a small university with limited physics majors). I guess my same concern applies here.

Any thoughts here given this additional info?

Thanks!

This question is so small so I know my pressing this issue is so silly, but as Yale is a dream school for me I got "the stress" from this application.

I was an elementary school summer teacher for a summer. Obviously, this wasn't "academic" in the same sense as my desire to pursue "academic medicine," but it was a paid teaching position so I'm still not sure whether to include it.

I also was employed by my school to be the school's tutor for physics (I attended a small university with limited physics majors). I guess my same concern applies here.

Any thoughts here given this additional info?

Thanks!

To me 'academic' means 'within academia'. So I would not think that an elementary school position would count (although certainly worth including on the application generally). The tutor, I'm less sure...

I am not applying MD/PhD, this is just my opinion. But I think the academic physicians I work with would be surprised to see a grade school position listed as 'academic'.

I'm with you on this application being super stressful! I need to stop procrastinating over it and just force myself to send it out....

Yale's response to my question for clarification was to not worry, they'll figure out what category it really goes in if you just make sure you're clear in describing the nature of the position and your responsibilities.

In the optional essay, do you think it is appropriate to use this space do discuss what you have done since you have graduated college? Or is this space meant to discuss unusual circumstances like taking off time from school/ institutional action etc..

In the optional essay, do you think it is appropriate to use this space do discuss what you have done since you have graduated college? Or is this space meant to discuss unusual circumstances like taking off time from school/ institutional action etc..

I think you can use it to discuss whatever you want to or need to. As a nontrad, I did end up using it to discuss in more detail what I've done with the last few years.

And I have submitted this secondary! So nervous. I'm still not verified yet, so nothing to do but wait.

Still haven't gotten this secondary.... Granted its only been 5 days.

And to Narmer, is your handle after the erberts and gerberts sandwich, by chance? Cuz that thing is delicious!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

For the question asking if we have completed the pre-med course requirements, I am not sure if I should be considering my general chemistry background "complete" for Yale..

I received gen chem credit through completion of Chemistry IB (which has proven troublesome, particularly for American med schools), but I have also completed an inorganic chemistry course and a biochemistry course, both of which had general chemistry (which my school (McGill) gave me credit for) as a prerequisite. As a cell biology major, many of my other advanced biology/physiology/anatomy courses also have general chemistry as a prerequisite.

A) Do you think this would satisfy their gen chem requirement?
B) For the question in the secondary, would it be best to put "no" under the question asking if I have completed my pre-requisites and say that I'll have it done by May 2014?
C) Would it be acceptable (for Yale or any other institutions) if I were to do another chemistry course to fulfil this requirement in Summer 2014, after I have graduated, but prior to matriculation? I am considering this option since it is rather difficult for me to fit another chemistry course into my schedule this year and, since my prereqs are all satisfied for Canadian med schools, I can look into this If I am somehow granted admission into Yale/another school.

I appreciate any input, as the IB situation has been a recurring source of confusion for me! I emailed Yale admissions with similar questions earlier, but still have not received a response. I thought I would see if anyone here can provide some insight so that this question doesn't prevent me from submitting my secondary application in a timely manner.

Thank you, and best of luck with your applications!

Hi all,

For the question asking if we have completed the pre-med course requirements, I am not sure if I should be considering my general chemistry background "complete" for Yale..

I received gen chem credit through completion of Chemistry IB (which has proven troublesome, particularly for American med schools), but I have also completed an inorganic chemistry course and a biochemistry course, both of which had general chemistry (which my school (McGill) gave me credit for) as a prerequisite. As a cell biology major, many of my other advanced biology/physiology/anatomy courses also have general chemistry as a prerequisite.

A) Do you think this would satisfy their gen chem requirement?
B) For the question in the secondary, would it be best to put "no" under the question asking if I have completed my pre-requisites and say that I'll have it done by May 2014?
C) Would it be acceptable (for Yale or any other institutions) if I were to do another chemistry course to fulfil this requirement in Summer 2014, after I have graduated, but prior to matriculation? I am considering this option since it is rather difficult for me to fit another chemistry course into my schedule this year and, since my prereqs are all satisfied for Canadian med schools, I can look into this If I am somehow granted admission into Yale/another school.

I appreciate any input, as the IB situation has been a recurring source of confusion for me! I emailed Yale admissions with similar questions earlier, but still have not received a response. I thought I would see if anyone here can provide some insight so that this question doesn't prevent me from submitting my secondary application in a timely manner.

Thank you, and best of luck with your applications!

I can't really speak to what combinations of courses they'd accept, but I would be really cautious about planning to take summer classes before starting medical school. In addition to the burnout issue, many medical schools start pretty early--early Aug and whatnot--which overlaps with most summer semesters, at least at schools in the states. So there's no guarantee you'd have the time to fit in a summer course.

Still haven't gotten my Yale secondary and I submitted my primary the 19th. Anyone know if another wave had gone through since then?

I'm getting anxious. Also, how are we suppose to write a "why Yale" essay in 500 words? Not cool.

Hey guys,

I also definitely have some Yale love. :love:

I am a re-applicant. Last year I got an interview there but didn't make it to the class :(

I am working on my secondary application. A lot of the reasons why I want to go to Yale are still the same as the ones I wrote in my essay last year. Is it bad for my essay to look very much like last year's?

Also, is it a good idea to mention that after being there all my reasons have been reaffirmed and talk a bit about the things I liked there?

I really hope it will work this time around!!!! :xf:

I can't really speak to what combinations of courses they'd accept, but I would be really cautious about planning to take summer classes before starting medical school. In addition to the burnout issue, many medical schools start pretty early--early Aug and whatnot--which overlaps with most summer semesters, at least at schools in the states. So there's no guarantee you'd have the time to fit in a summer course.
Thanks for the input! Burnout aside, the summer terms at some (maybe most) Canadian universities seem to only run through one or two months, so it should be feasible. I'll try getting in touch with the admissions office again though!

Edit: Problem solved, the admissions office said my background should be adequate!

Last edited:
I am working on my secondary application. A lot of the reasons why I want to go to Yale are still the same as the ones I wrote in my essay last year. Is it bad for my essay to look very much like last year's?

It does look bad. It's fine if your reasons are similar, but see if you can elaborate on those reasons with new experiences you've had in the past year. It doesn't need to be a complete revamp, but it would be to your benefit to appear fresh.

Also, is it a good idea to mention that after being there all my reasons have been reaffirmed and talk a bit about the things I liked there?

This is a definite plus, in my opinion. Again, include specific examples.

Can someone give insight on the curriculum at Yale? Is it a system-based or a traditional curriculum. I saw on their website that in year 2 there are system modules, but I am not sure.

thanks

Can someone give insight on the curriculum at Yale? Is it a system-based or a traditional curriculum. I saw on their website that in year 2 there are system modules, but I am not sure.

thanks

It's currently system-based, but I've heard that we're changing pretty soon to a 1.5 preclinical + 3.5 clinical system. Will have more details in a few weeks!

No, not at all! My gpa is 3.7 for science and 3.8 overall. MCAT was 36 (14 phys, 11 bio and eng)

could anyone give me a link to hte yale secondary? my email is giving me an error whenever i try to open the yale email with the link

Still haven't gotten this secondary.... Granted its only been 5 days.

And to Narmer, is your handle after the erberts and gerberts sandwich, by chance? Cuz that thing is delicious!

Nah, it's actually based on the Egyptian Narmer (way back when). When I made my first email account 10-12 years ago, narmer was already taken so I used narmerguy instead :thumbup:

Complete: 7/17/2013
Interview Invite: 8/20/2013

Hey guys,

I also definitely have some Yale love. :love:

I am a re-applicant. Last year I got an interview there but didn't make it to the class :(

I really hope it will work this time around!!!! :xf:
I really wish you luck! :)

OMG first II!!!!!!! international!!!

(complete 7/22)

Last edited:
II today!!!!! Jumping for joy, I am crazy about this school. Stats ~3.8/35 complete 7/29

II today!!!!! Jumping for joy, I am crazy about this school. Stats ~3.8/35 complete 7/29

Yay, grats Khaleesi! When are you going to interview?

On that note, YAY, I got an interview invite too. :D

The Yale System seems super cool. GONNA DIE OF HEART ATTACK. :love:

Completed 12 July 2013, OOS

Congratulations everybody getting your ii's!

I'm just trying to keep hope alive over here wooo. Hahaha.

Complete July 8th. Nothing yet. Feeling rejected! I wrote my essays with such care :(

II today around 11 a.m.!

Last edited:
I know this has been said many times before already in this thread, but I am so in love with Yale after reading their 100 reasons. Unreal opportunities. I would do anything for an interview here.

Unfortunately they seem to admit ivy grads for the most part. If you check out their yearly publication (believe it's PDF somewhere i forget), they list every single person who graduate from Yale SOM with their undergrad institution. Basically 90% ivy. But I suppose that's how ivies work. Club members only.

don't burst my dreams... i reject your reality and substitute it with my own :rolleyes:

Basically 90% ivy. But I suppose that's how ivies work. Club members only.

So I can't speak for other class years, but the entering class of 2013 at YSM is just over 50% non-ivy. In my experience, other Ivy League schools also don't just pull from the "club." That wouldn't be sensible.

So I can't speak for other class years, but the entering class of 2013 at YSM is just over 50% non-ivy. In my experience, other Ivy League schools also don't just pull from the "club." That wouldn't be sensible.

I wonder if some people interpret "ivy" to be much more than the traditional ivy league schools. For example, MIT, Stanford, etc aren't technically ivies.