2013 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First rejection, pre-interview from Penn state. :confused: So one interview IS and one rejection OOS. My stats are above the average for Penn state, so I'm surprised I was rejected outright. I hope there isn't something bad I'm overlooking in my app... :(

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

Some schools just do quick rejections. I got three emails from Mayo saying that my application was complete, that they were requesting LORs, and that I was rejected all within about a month. Just because you've already gotten a rejection doesn't mean there's anything bad with your application. I've been rejected by Mayo, UNC, Wake Forest and VCU already, but on the other hand I've got more interviews than I know what to do with.

Members don't see this ad.

Just to keep the faith fellow nontrads. I turned 39 last week and got my acceptance call from Mercer last night!

Just to keep the faith fellow nontrads. I turned 39 last week and got my acceptance call from Mercer last night!

Congrats! It is NEVER too late!

And congrats to the other fellow non-trads with acceptances and interviews. Me thinks Oct. 15 will be a great day of victory for us!

Members don't see this ad :)

41 and accepted. I don't even think that I am the oldest on here.

GO NON-TRADS!

dsoz

First acceptance at AZCOM!

congrats! You are going to be a physician!

Some schools just do quick rejections. I got three emails from Mayo saying that my application was complete, that they were requesting LORs, and that I was rejected all within about a month. Just because you've already gotten a rejection doesn't mean there's anything bad with your application. I've been rejected by Mayo, UNC, Wake Forest and VCU already, but on the other hand I've got more interviews than I know what to do with.

This is comforting. I was just at a loss on this one. Above the median stats and ties in state-once I gave at least one more interview I will feel more confident.

Awesome!

Interview at UTMB-Galveston! I didn't expect it but very happy.

Good News: II's from Temple, Morehouse, and... Pritzker.

22 secondaries submitted, 16 applications complete, 8 interview invites, 5 still to be done, 3 schools haven't sent me a secondary, 0 rejections.

Bad News: I. Am. Burnt. Out. I haven't submitted a single secondary in 6 days. I've had plenty of opportunity to submit at least 3 of those 5 remaining (especially since 2 of them are one of my top top reach choices and the fees has been waived) in that time.

Suggestions?

22 secondaries submitted, 16 applications complete, 8 interview invites, 5 still to be done, 3 schools haven't sent me a secondary, 0 rejections.

Bad News: I. Am. Burnt. Out. I haven't submitted a single secondary in 6 days. I've had plenty of opportunity to submit at least 3 of those 5 remaining (especially since 2 of them are one of my top top reach choices and the fees has been waived) in that time.

Suggestions?

:thumbup::D:D congrats!

II from New York Medical College!

Suggestions?

Congrats on the IIs !

I needed a break too. All I could think about was how many more essays I needed to write. I've been neglecting my friends for a while now and work has been stressful too. Finally glammed myself up (first time in a looooong time) and went out dancing with the girls last weekend. :D Now back to work on secondaries ! I suggest you take a quick, fun break too--you're so close to being done !

Suggestions?

I hope you can re-light your fire when your interview time comes around. :)

My first two interviews were in Florida. Very nice places to interview. Both about 20 minutes from the ocean. I was able to put my tired feet into the ocean on the gulf coast side of the state (LECOM-B), but did not make it over to the beach on the Atlantic side of the state (Nova Southeastern). I had to schedule a flight that left me no time to see the beach in Fort Lauderdale. If I attend classes there, I will need to make the time to see the beach!

I also got to drive across alligator alley. It was a nice drive and helped to recharge my batteries before doing another interview.

I have completed four interviews so far. I have two more that I have scheduled that I may or may not attend depending on the results of interview #3 and #4. I also canceled five interviews from schools that were lower on my list. Wow, what a problem. Too many interviews.

With 22 secondaries, you have a good chance to have the same problem. Good luck.

dsoz

Last edited:

Suggestions?

Congrats on your success so far! I know what you mean about feeling burnt out with more secondaries to go. Take another few days to a week of a break. And within that time, take a day trip or do something completely out of the ordinary for you. You will come back with a second wind to knock out the remaining secondaries.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
II from New York Medical College!

Congrats. One step closer.

I hope you can re-light your fire when your interview time comes around.

Congrats on your success so far!

Congrats on the IIs !

Thanks for the advice and well wishes, everyone. Good news: Got another II from Yale. Better news: Managed to drag another secondary out of myself last night. 4 left!

Got accepted to msucom. Graduated with a bach in bio in 2009. Applied to medical 2 times as well. Got 2 more interviews with 1 being an MD. But it looks like im being a doc no matter what. Love this thread. Were gonna show these children whos boss in med school lol

Last edited:
Interview at UofL!!!!!!!!!! Really excited since it's so close to home! (This makes 5!!)

gonna pitch my name in here:

Graduated 2010

3.7 sGPA/3.7 cGPA; 34 MCAT (14PS, 10V, 10BS) ---- from 2009 :-/

poor-mediocre ECs
~250-300 hours research, no pubs
non-traditional work experience with a lot of leadership (6+ years)

Submitted 9/14, verification predicted for sometime this week or early the following, going to submit secondaries within 24 hours of their arrival.

I know with my poor ECs and late app that hopes are slim. Going to remain confident that with 20+ schools I can land one interview.

Ready for next year!

I've been avoiding this thread because I've been slacking on getting my secondaries in and hearing about others' interview invites was like rubbing salt in the wound.

Mostly, I was pretty mad at myself for not getting the secondaries submitted in early August and the lateness coupled with my horrendous undergrad GPA had me worried I'd have no chance of getting into med school this cycle. Yes, when I get down on myself, I go all out.

Anywhos, I got my first interview invite this morning at my dream school, so I'm in a much more optimistic mood. And reading that some of you who are still working on a few secondaries gives me hope that I'm not all that late with my submissions.

It's still early in the season, I know, but I already feel so far behind...

Suggestions?

Dude, I feel you. I was so burnt out from the last two years of post-bacc work that it took me a couple of weeks after getting my secondaries to even attempt to write them. I have 1 - 3 more that I'm seriously considering submitting but it's getting harder and harder to write anything.

No suggestions on my end. Just commiseration.

I'm pulling a hat-trick of posts. I forgot to update with numbers.

As of today...
20 MD secondaries submitted, 16 applications complete, 1 interview invite, 1-3 still to be done, 4 schools haven't sent me a secondary, 2 rejections.

One rejection was from Vanderbilt pre-secondary, so I was kind of expecting that. The second was from a school that required strong ties to the area, a fact I didn't know until after I submitted my secondary (stupid me!).

With two rejections coming before my first interview invite, I was not a happy camper. Add to that the fact I was worried one of my letter writers had written a terrible recommendation (note to self: don't piss off the boss a week after asking him to write you a LOR) and you get an idea of my state of mind before today.

Last edited:
Anywhos, I got my first interview invite this morning at my dream school, so I'm in a much more optimistic mood. And reading that some of you who are still working on a few secondaries gives me hope that I'm not all that late with my submissions.

Wohoo congrats! It always makes me happy to hear about nontrads getting interview invites :)

As of today...
20 MD secondaries submitted, 16 applications complete, 1 interview invite, 1-3 still to be done, 4 schools haven't sent me a secondary, 2 rejections.

Keep chugging along! I think I'm on my last secondary too :smuggrin:

Accepted to the old Chevy med school!

NOVA COM, that is. Hopefully many more acceptances to follow.

That is great! It takes a lot of pressure off the rest of the journey. I hope that this is the first of many acceptances for you. Then you will have to choose which school you attend. :)

I on the other hand just received my first "on hold" status rejection from U of Arizona Tucson. I am still hoping to hear from Phoenix on the 16th, and COMP either this week or next. I did get an OHSU invite for 10/26.

dsoz

Congrats Chip! I was late(ish) on the secondaries and am sitting with 1 interview coming up and 2 rejections. At least the interview gives me some hope on the process.

Someone should start the nontrad acceptance thread.

:whistle: ::looks at all the people who are holding acceptances:: :smuggrin:

But really, congrats you guys !

Sooo, after 4 interview invites in August, September and October have been major downers- rejected by 3 schools and given the "hold status of almost certain death" at two others.
I'm starting to think that those 4 will be it for me. Fingers crossed that one works out.

Sooo, after 4 interview invites in August, September and October have been major downers- rejected by 3 schools and given the "hold status of almost certain death" at two others.
I'm starting to think that those 4 will be it for me. Fingers crossed that one works out.

Ditto.

I had 4 in September and early October (all scheduled in August) but have heard nothing in the last month and a half! (Well, except for a week that included 3 rejections. Another should be on its way via snail mail as we type.)

I don't care to collect interviews...just want enough to hopefully secure an acceptance. :xf:

Good luck to all of us! :luck: And, I agree, we should get an acceptance thread going so those of you with good news can share. I expect more will hear next week too. :scared:

Ditto.

I had 4 in September and early October (all scheduled in August) but have heard nothing in the last month and a half! (Well, except for a week that included 3 rejections. Another should be on its way via snail mail as we type.)

I don't care to collect interviews...just want enough to hopefully secure an acceptance. :xf:

Good luck to all of us! :luck: And, I agree, we should get an acceptance thread going so those of you with good news can share. I expect more will hear next week too. :scared:

Next week is the fateful week that MD schools can start handing out regular (non-early decision) acceptances. October 15 will be a good/bad day for many people.

U of A Phoenix, the only MD school where I have interviewed so far, will notify their first batch of 20-30 acceptances on October 16. Since the pool of applicants at this time is only 50 or so people, I feel like I have a pretty good chance.

I will know in a week. Ha ha.

dsoz

U of A Phoenix, the only MD school where I have interviewed so far, will notify their first batch of 20-30 acceptances on October 16. Since the pool of applicants at this time is only 50 or so people, I feel like I have a pretty good chance.

:luck::luck::luck:

I will not hear from my OOS until the end of October (interviewed first week of October and was told 3 week turnaround). My TX schools will be Nov 15 at the earliest, most likely Feb 1.

Cannot believe it's already that time of the season....

Mostly, I was pretty mad at myself for not getting the secondaries submitted in early August and the lateness coupled with my horrendous undergrad GPA had me worried I'd have no chance of getting into med school this cycle. Yes, when I get down on myself, I go all out.

Right. There. With you. Almost withdrew not once, twice, thrice, but... wait for it...5 separate times while waiting to get verified. I mean full out "click withdraw, click the 'are you sure' deep breath" kind of close.

Keep chugging along! I think I'm on my last secondary too :smuggrin:

ONE. MORE. LEFT. It's a lengthy one that's due in 24 hours (yup exploding secondary offers... fun). And instead of cranking it out I'm wasting time on here... naturally.

ONE. MORE. LEFT. It's a lengthy one that's due in 24 hours (yup exploding secondary offers... fun). And instead of cranking it out I'm wasting time on here... naturally.

I am OFFICIALLY DONE with secondaries. :laugh: Now the neurotic waiting. :smuggrin:

27 and finishing my undergrad degree in Natural Sciences with minor in psych. Went back to school after 4 years of working full-time as a paramedic. Have some really good EC, volunteering, leadership, and a bit on non-science research. Plus continued working full-time in a Level II ED.

AACOMAS verified everything and this was what it came out:

cGPA: 2.8
sGPA: 3.2
MCAT: 30

I must have done my calculations wrong. I did a few retakes but they handled them differently than I did.

Applications are out for a few schools. Fingers crossed but thinking I should take a few extra courses to bump that overall GPA to at least a 3.0

I just got a message from a medical school I'm very interested in. Saw the recipient and got excited that it'd be an interview invite. Nope. It's another "You are complete at X Medical School" email. Why do you tease me so?

I am OFFICIALLY DONE with secondaries. :laugh: Now the neurotic waiting. :smuggrin:

It is DONE. That last one was, to put it politely, ragged. But somehow it got in 5 minutes before the deadline. Now onto the interview prep for the my first three interviews--which, naturally, I scheduled back to back to back, all in separate cities.

26 secondaries submitted, 22 marked complete, 10 interview invites, 1 still to be done (but this is for a pre-secondary interview, so not counting it), 3 schools haven't sent me a secondary (including 2 of my state schools), 0 rejections.

It took 250 years give or take a couple months, but I finally received the last of the secondaries from the schools that pre-screen. Just 3 secondaries left... so very close. Oh, and my first interview is tomorrow. :eek:

Game time.

30//30//27//26//12//0 (Applied//Received//Submitted//Complete//Interviews//Rejections)

Non trad here. Applied to about 20, some were definitely reach. I've only had one interview so far, and no additional interview invites. Interview was so-so, hard to gauge since it was my first.

Completed most of the secondaries in late September. I've had about 4 rejections, almost all from reach schools. One from a school I thought I had a shot at. I'm feeling a little lost, deflated, and down right burnt out. How concerned should I be? I'm starting to get really depressed about it.

Stats: 32R, 3.6cgpa, 3.7 pbgpa, not an URM, no state school available

Non trad here. Applied to about 20, some were definitely reach. I've only had one interview so far, and no additional interview invites. Interview was so-so, hard to gauge since it was my first.

Completed most of the secondaries in late September. I've had about 4 rejections, almost all from reach schools. One from a school I thought I had a shot at. I'm feeling a little lost, deflated, and down right burnt out. How concerned should I be? I'm starting to get really depressed about it.

Your numbers are good, don't be discouraged yet. :):luck: This is a draining process.

When I got my first II, I was excited :D

Waiting for the decision, I was anxious

Finding out I was rejected from a favorite school and no other II in sight I was :(:scared:
sad and worried

I got an II today and I'm excited again :D and terrified :scared:

When I got my first II, I was excited :D

Waiting for the decision, I was anxious

Finding out I was rejected from a favorite school and no other II in sight I was :(:scared:
sad and worried

I got an II today and I'm excited again :D and terrified :scared:

Good luck on your next interview, Jas. Hope it works out for you. :)

Your numbers are good, don't be discouraged yet. :):luck: This is a draining process.

Thanks. Just hoping for some encouragement and some empathetic folks. With full time work and the rest of life, it really didn't seem to me that September would be all that late. My friends with much lower scores that applied earlier have already been on several interviews. So it makes me feel like there's a red flag somewhere in my app. :confused:

Similar stats, applied to 20, 1 rejection to OOS school, only 1 state school II out of 3 applied. That was it for me for what seemed like eternity.
2 more II came after a long wait just a couple of weeks ago (one to a major reach school and the other a local private school)and I had to pick dates in January. I haven't heard from 16 schools, and I was really counting on some early in state choices. It's very confusing, I can hear from a school I consider a reach before hearing from my state schols that I have above average stats for.

Just hang in there, I've heard not to panic until after December. Albany Medical College, for example, didn't even start sending IIs yet.

I'm in the same boat as you. Most of my secondaries were completed mid- to late-September and I'm only sitting on one interview invite and I just got another rejection today bringing the total to 3.

It's hard to stay positive when the only news I get is bad news.

Thanks. Just hoping for some encouragement and some empathetic folks. With full time work and the rest of life, it really didn't seem to me that September would be all that late. My friends with much lower scores that applied earlier have already been on several interviews. So it makes me feel like there's a red flag somewhere in my app. :confused:

And ditto. Honestly, the only thing I would really improve about my application is to submit it earlier. Other than that I think there's not much I could've done differently besides do better in undergrad many years ago.

The only thing I can think of is that my boss buried my application by slamming me in my letter of recommendation because I pissed him off a week after asking him to write it. That's really causing me the most stress and I won't know for sure that I'm in the clear until I get accepted somewhere. I'm too afraid of his answer to ask him directly, although his comments about my chances of getting in suggest he didn't go that route.

Ay ay ay!

It's been less than a month after your completion date, I wouldn't start panicking yet. I haven't heard from any of the schools I was complete at in September/October. The only news I've heard are from schools I applied to before September. Even those averaged about a month turnaround time, and I bet the process is taking a little longer now.

I'm in the same boat as you. Most of my secondaries were completed mid- to late-September and I'm only sitting on one interview invite and I just got another rejection today bringing the total to 3.

The only thing I can think of is that my boss buried my application by slamming me in my letter of recommendation because I pissed him off a week after asking him to write it. That's really causing me the most stress and I won't know for sure that I'm in the clear until I get accepted somewhere. I'm too afraid of his answer to ask him directly, although his comments about my chances of getting in suggest he didn't go that route.

Ay ay ay!

I don't think you would have gotten an interview with a bad LOR. I bet you're fine! :)

don't think you would have gotten an interview with a bad LOR. I bet you're fine! :)

That's how I keep reassuring myself, although it seems this school does give out interviews if LORs aren't submitted yet, which I find really weird.

Overall, like you said, it's only been a month since I've been complete so I need to relax. The rejections aren't helping, though.

Thanks for the reassurance everyone. I just received word that one of my favorite schools is pretty much done sending out interview invites for September applicants, and I haven't gotten one yet. So I'm pretty much bummed out about that and it just spiraled downward last night. I'm at the point where I'm just going to do some more applications with the hopes that someone picks me up. I guess I'm nuts. Or desperate.

Almost done with interviews! One more, on Monday, and I've no more until February, which is so far off that I can't even comprehend it. Especially since my son is due to be born in January.

I'm expecting decisions from Case Western and the University of Michigan on October 30 and November 5 respectively. Keep your fingers crossed for me! I've got mine crossed for all of you as we'll.

I just attended my last interview today. I canceled all my other interviews.

I have two waitlist spots (LECOM-B and UofArizona Phoenix), two acceptances (Nova and COMP-NW), and waiting to hear back from OHSU.

I am FINISHED for the season. Good luck to the rest of you. :)

dsoz