2014-2015 Dermatology Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If anything it seems more like a very desperate ploy to keep BU Derm residents on as faculty who normally wouldn't stay for whatever reason --- malignant faculty, poor facilities, bad politics, etc. Good dermatology programs don't have to do these tactics to keep residents on as faculty -- they either have good research facilities (for the more research oriented), good mentorship from senior faculty for younger faculty, etc. Residents WANT to stay. If you look at the website, it's not even a guarantee on their part so it's obvious even they are not completely committed to it. It's all a one-sided commitment.

I would NOT not apply to BU's derm program. I would however rank it dead last, however, if you have no interested in staying on as faculty. Matching at BU though is better than not matching at all.

Aren't you obligated to stay as faculty? I'm assuming you have to sign a contract, no?

Members don't see this ad.

Aren't you obligated to stay as faculty? I'm assuming you have to sign a contract, no?
Read the link:
Q: Am I guaranteed a faculty position after residency training?

A: We will make every effort to ensure that all trainees will be able to complete their full two phase program. If the Department Executive Committee determines that it is unable to accommodate the hiring of additional faculty members, your participation will be completed after three years.

Read the link:
Q: Am I guaranteed a faculty position after residency training?

A: We will make every effort to ensure that all trainees will be able to complete their full two phase program. If the Department Executive Committee determines that it is unable to accommodate the hiring of additional faculty members, your participation will be completed after three years.

smh. i find this to be very wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
smh. i find this to be very wrong.
You can get all these things at really great academic derm programs across the country that have great faculty without being forced to stay there by contract to get "faculty mentorship". At least you decide to do a fellowship, their website says you do the fellowship and then COME BACK to do the 3 years. lol.

http://www.bumc.bu.edu/derm/trainin...program/information-for-residency-applicants/

Introduction:
The mission of the Department of Dermatology at Boston Medical Center (BMC) and Boston University is to be an academic leader in teaching, research, and patient care. We aspire to develop and train Academic Dermatologists for the benefit of their Careers, our Specialty, and the Community we serve. In order to advance these goals and achieve them more effectively, our Dermatology Residency is being restructured to encompassing a traditional residency training program (3 years) followed by a career-focused faculty program (3 years) for all of its prospective residency positions. Therefore, beginning with the upcoming round of applications in 2014 and with the Dermatology residency positions beginning in July of 2016, this fundamental transition will take place. Trainees in our program will benefit from both the ACGME 3-year accredited program, while being mentored and prepared for the subsequent cycle of Dermatology Faculty positions at our Institution following their ACGME-based residency training. This new paradigm aims to develop well-rounded Dermatologists, with careers focused on teaching, patient care, and research, who will become leaders in academia, and make significant contributions to our specialty.

Two Phase Structure:
The configuration of our Dermatology program following internship will consist of 3-year ACGME accredited program followed by 3 years as faculty, two well-defined but interrelated phases. The first phase will continue to be the traditional ACGME-accredited training path for years one through three, which will result in ABD board eligibility. An innovation in this ACGME approved program will be to introduce the trainee to a particular focus of expertise in one area of clinical Dermatology. This could consist of expertise in such topics as nail diseases, hair loss, genital and vulvar diseases, or wound healing, among others. During this time, residents will develop their specific interests or “niche” through working with various faculty members. As a result, the residents will receive additional exposure to the many dermatology subspecialties, and will have the opportunity to become scholarly in their chosen field.

Following the successful completion of the ACGME approved residency program, the second phase of this program will be marked by a full faculty appointment at BMC and BU Dermatology for years four through six. As faculty members, the new Dermatologists trained in our department will have faculty clinical responsibilities which will provide them opportunities to further develop and hone their niche area of interest. This focused interest may be in such tracks as clinician-educator, clinical research or, if applicable to their background, translational research or basic research. It should be stressed that this new program is not focused on laboratory-based investigators, but in developing academic dermatologists who will also provide clinical care to the patient care community served by Boston Medical Center. During this time, faculty members will continue to be mentored in areas that are critical to academic success including topics such as: Giving effective presentations, grant writing, preparing IRB submissions, being an effective teacher and communicator, preparing manuscripts, etc.

Whoever keeps ruining the google doc really gives me quite the scare thinking everyone sent invites and I missed out. Glad to discover that was not the case, but seriously leave it organized how it normally is

Reactions: 2 users
Whoever keeps ruining the google doc really gives me quite the scare thinking everyone sent invites and I missed out. Glad to discover that was not the case, but seriously leave it organized how it normally is

Seriously, whoever messed it up, fix it to the way it was

Reactions: 1 user
Seriously, whoever messed it up, fix it to the way it was
You can go back to previous iterations of the document at the top of Google Docs since every change is saved. Just bring it back right before it got messed up.

I think for people not interested in an academic career, this seems pretty horrible to have to do extra years. However, for people who are interested, I cannot stress how amazing an offer this is. NIH grant funding is at an all-time low, and with many schools requiring grant funding to cover some or all of a young faculty member's salary, many otherwise dedicated and talented researchers end up not being able to get off the ground. Having three years of guaranteed salary and opportunity to develop a research niche is invaluable. BU has a world-premier research endeavor, and anyone interested in advancing the field should definitely apply. And for those wondering, no, I am not affiliated with BU -- I tried but couldn't match there!

You can get all these things at really great academic derm programs across the country that have great faculty without being forced to stay there by contract to get "faculty mentorship". At least you decide to do a fellowship, their website says you do the fellowship and then COME BACK to do the 3 years. lol.

http://www.bumc.bu.edu/derm/trainin...program/information-for-residency-applicants/

Introduction:
The mission of the Department of Dermatology at Boston Medical Center (BMC) and Boston University is to be an academic leader in teaching, research, and patient care. We aspire to develop and train Academic Dermatologists for the benefit of their Careers, our Specialty, and the Community we serve. In order to advance these goals and achieve them more effectively, our Dermatology Residency is being restructured to encompassing a traditional residency training program (3 years) followed by a career-focused faculty program (3 years) for all of its prospective residency positions. Therefore, beginning with the upcoming round of applications in 2014 and with the Dermatology residency positions beginning in July of 2016, this fundamental transition will take place. Trainees in our program will benefit from both the ACGME 3-year accredited program, while being mentored and prepared for the subsequent cycle of Dermatology Faculty positions at our Institution following their ACGME-based residency training. This new paradigm aims to develop well-rounded Dermatologists, with careers focused on teaching, patient care, and research, who will become leaders in academia, and make significant contributions to our specialty.

Two Phase Structure:
The configuration of our Dermatology program following internship will consist of 3-year ACGME accredited program followed by 3 years as faculty, two well-defined but interrelated phases. The first phase will continue to be the traditional ACGME-accredited training path for years one through three, which will result in ABD board eligibility. An innovation in this ACGME approved program will be to introduce the trainee to a particular focus of expertise in one area of clinical Dermatology. This could consist of expertise in such topics as nail diseases, hair loss, genital and vulvar diseases, or wound healing, among others. During this time, residents will develop their specific interests or “niche” through working with various faculty members. As a result, the residents will receive additional exposure to the many dermatology subspecialties, and will have the opportunity to become scholarly in their chosen field.

Following the successful completion of the ACGME approved residency program, the second phase of this program will be marked by a full faculty appointment at BMC and BU Dermatology for years four through six. As faculty members, the new Dermatologists trained in our department will have faculty clinical responsibilities which will provide them opportunities to further develop and hone their niche area of interest. This focused interest may be in such tracks as clinician-educator, clinical research or, if applicable to their background, translational research or basic research. It should be stressed that this new program is not focused on laboratory-based investigators, but in developing academic dermatologists who will also provide clinical care to the patient care community served by Boston Medical Center. During this time, faculty members will continue to be mentored in areas that are critical to academic success including topics such as: Giving effective presentations, grant writing, preparing IRB submissions, being an effective teacher and communicator, preparing manuscripts, etc.

I think for people not interested in an academic career, this seems pretty horrible to have to do extra years. However, for people who are interested, I cannot stress how amazing an offer this is. NIH grant funding is at an all-time low, and with many schools requiring grant funding to cover some or all of a young faculty member's salary, many otherwise dedicated and talented researchers end up not being able to get off the ground. Having three years of guaranteed salary and opportunity to develop a research niche is invaluable. BU has a world-premier research endeavor, and anyone interested in advancing the field should definitely apply. And for those wondering, no, I am not affiliated with BU -- I tried but couldn't match there!
Here's the thing. Any dermatology resident who finishes their 3 years of derm residency can have an academic career - NOTHING is stopping them.

There are institutions that have much more dedicated and talented researchers and great clinician mentors that get a lot more NIH funding - I can list several at the top of my head in which you could have an excellent academic career - at much better places than BU. You don't even have to go to a hotshot place to be an academician. Dermatology residencies are craving for faculty, bc so many residents just go straight to private practice once they graduate, bc they can. There is a shortage of derm academicians so it's currently a buyer's market.

A dermatology residency should not have to force you to stay as a faculty for 3 years for this to happen. Residents have to WANT to stay on their own. So the question then becomes why BU feels the need to do this. Any derm residency can achieve the above part on their website just by residents taking initiative and establishing a particular niche. BU's new program is not "innovative", except in allowing residencies to force residents to stay and taking away their free will.

Here's the thing. Any dermatology resident who finishes their 3 years of derm residency can have an academic career - NOTHING is stopping them.

There are institutions that have much more dedicated and talented researchers and great clinician mentors that get a lot more NIH funding - I can list several at the top of my head in which you could have an excellent academic career - at much better places than BU. You don't even have to go to a hotshot place to be an academician. Dermatology residencies are craving for faculty, bc so many residents just go straight to private practice once they graduate, bc they can. There is a shortage of derm academicians so it's currently a buyer's market.

A dermatology residency should not have to force you to stay as a faculty for 3 years for this to happen. Residents have to WANT to stay on their own. So the question then becomes why BU feels the need to do this. Any derm residency can achieve the above part on their website just by residents taking initiative and establishing a particular niche. BU's new program is not "innovative", except in allowing residencies to force residents to stay and taking away their free will.

Exactly. They kind of "topped" it off for me by requiring a really long supplemental application with a (1) 1-page statement on why BU's 6-year program? In which the only answer is really "I want an academic career and mentorship" and I had already explained this in my actual personal statement which I sent to every program, and (2) 2 or 3 (?) essays of any length (?) which were all basically the same topic of "how do you deal with difficult decisions or situations?" and would have been much better off as interview questions than required essays.

I ended up filling it out and sending it in. I'm fine with supplemental applications if I see they could have value in the admissions process and are appropriate length, but I honestly didn't see the point of BU's supplement other than requiring 4-5 hours of "busy" work for applicants who are already juggling a lot in order to weed out the few applicants who aren't interested enough to fill it out.

I have applied to 100+ programs, and have heard back from about 5. Does anyone have a clue as to what % of programs will send an email declining an interview opportunity vs. the % from which I will hear nothing at all? If my application is in the circular file, I'd really like the courtesy of knowing that.

I have applied to 100+ programs, and have heard back from about 5. Does anyone have a clue as to what % of programs will send an email declining an interview opportunity vs. the % from which I will hear nothing at all? If my application is in the circular file, I'd really like the courtesy of knowing that.
It's program dependent. No way of knowing ahead of time. It would be courteous if they did give an actual rejection, but there are many programs in which you just won't hear anything.

Any guesstimate. Half?

Looks as though if one does not get a significant number of invites by December 7th, that would not be a good sign.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any guesstimate. Half?

Looks as though if one does not get a significant number of invites by December 7th, that would not be a good sign.
Sorry, no guesstimate, as it can vary greatly depending on the program, program coordinator, how organized they are, year to year. Some don't realize it's not courteous. Others don't want to just give out rejections if their top applicants don't accept invites bc then those people they rejected would have taken the invite. I would say by then, to start getting worried, but remember this is a rolling process. People cancel interviews due to conflicting interview dates, etc. A lot of real-time changes happen quickly.

Just bc you have more than enough interviews it's not a sure thing, although I'm sure it calms people's nerves somewhat, as having more contiguous ranks the better.

Just bc you have more than enough interviews it's not a sure thing, although I'm sure it calms people's nerves somewhat, as having more contiguous ranks the better.

Actually if you look at Charting Outcomes for 2014, you'll see that out of 150+ applicants with 10 or more ranked programs all but 3 matched. So yes, it's basically a sure thing (only a minuscule chance of no match for 3 outliers.)

Actually if you look at Charting Outcomes for 2014, you'll see that out of 150+ applicants with 10 or more ranked programs all but 3 matched. So yes, it's basically a sure thing (only a minuscule chance of no match for 3 outliers.)
Basically a sure thing, doesn't mean anything in this game. There are people who have gotten 11 interviews and not match. I've heard of people getting only 3 interviews and matching.

The plural of anecdote is not data. Look at the actual published 2014 info. 10+ interviews = Match

My year, I applied just over 80, 20 offers, probably about that many rejections...the rest silence.

...aaaaand, I was at 20 offers, 15 interviews...no match. Don't ever 100% assume anything. I'm current chief and landed an excellent competitive fellowship, so I like to think I'm not a db...so not matching definitely happens if all things don't fall into line.

My year, I applied just over 80, 20 offers, probably about that many rejections...the rest silence.

...aaaaand, I was at 20 offers, 15 interviews...no match. Don't ever 100% assume anything. I'm current chief and landed an excellent competitive fellowship, so I like to think I'm not a db...so not matching definitely happens if all things don't fall into line.
I apologize as I wasn't referring to you with the word douchebag. I was more referencing the previous poster with his anecdote-data quip, and was silly enough to say that somehow having 10+ interviews = Match - which is preposterous. Needless to say, there are many reasons not to match even if you have tons of interviews. Nothing in this process is guaranteed.

Did any external applicants (not including people who did an away there) get an LSU interview yesterday?

where is the it's still early sentiment coming from if so many programs according to the Google docs have sent out invites

where is the it's still early sentiment coming from if so many programs according to the Google docs have sent out invites
Programs don't necessarily give all interviews in one wave.

Probably because the majority of the CA, NY, and other top-dawg brograms have kept quiet...

Yeah but can the typical applicant even expect to get interviews at the top dawg programs? especially if they are worried they haven't gotten many looks from more average programs

Reactions: 1 users
Rutgers NJMS 11/12 by email. 1 date: Dec 15. Sorry I can't update the google doc on my phone.

Yeah but can the typical applicant even expect to get interviews at the top dawg programs? especially if they are worried they haven't gotten many looks from more average programs
Yeah this is what I was thinking :/

This process sucks

Probably because the majority of the CA, NY, and other top-dawg brograms have kept quiet...
CA and NY are not the only states that haven't given interviews.

Strictly speaking from getting interview invites (not matching b/c that is a different topic)...Do you all think certain applicants get lumped into groups? For example, if one applicant gets the "smaller players", does that mean they are in that group and will see similar people during interviews? Alternatively, a more desired applicant would get bigger named program and likely interview with programs around that rank? I know it doesn't work exactly like this and often geography may play a factor too, but I wonder if to some extent we can decipher this trend with the new Doximity rankings.

So my question is...are people who are getting interviews getting schools within +/- 20 ranks? The sample size is small at this point so it's hard to make observation, but I'm interested to know.

Strictly speaking from getting interview invites (not matching b/c that is a different topic)...Do you all think certain applicants get lumped into groups? For example, if one applicant gets the "smaller players", does that mean they are in that group and will see similar people during interviews? Alternatively, a more desired applicant would get bigger named program and likely interview with programs around that rank? I know it doesn't work exactly like this and often geography may play a factor too, but I wonder if to some extent we can decipher this trend with the new Doximity rankings.

So my question is...are people who are getting interviews getting schools within +/- 20 ranks? The sample size is small at this point so it's hard to make observation, but I'm interested to know.
It is very common esp. at the top programs to see the same people interviewing - many of them from top tier medical schools with (naturally) top tier derm departments. Others can be more regional/geography centered. Why one chooses to interview one place over another can vary --- your personal statement can give a program a good view into that. Realize by the time you're an M4, a lot more than just program prestige will factor in. Not everyone wants to match into NYU, Penn, Harvard, UCSF, Columbia, etc. which tend to be very high volume programs and where you're covering multiple hospitals.

I apologize as I wasn't referring to you with the word douchebag. I was more referencing the previous poster with his anecdote-data quip, and was silly enough to say that somehow having 10+ interviews = Match - which is preposterous. Needless to say, there are many reasons not to match even if you have tons of interviews. Nothing in this process is guaranteed.

Oh, no apology necessary at all. It's all good. My response was directed in the same place as yours. :)

I imagine there's some clustering of applicants with the best of best students from programs around the country getting many of the same interviews at strong programs. However, I also think it's the top few applicants from each school that net lots of interviews (15+), while the remainder of applicants from that school are working with much fewer interviews (<5). Even at a reputable med school with many strong applicants, no derm program can invite all the people applying from one school so they take their pick of "the best", often based on paper, and the rest are passed on. Unfortunately, it's the same couple of "best" applicants (AOA, high step 1, year off, strong clinicals, good research, etc.) that get the most love. I think that's definitely a factor at play if you have lots of company applying with you to derm this year as is the case at many schools.

That emphasizes the value of connections and doing really well on aways. Quality over quantity with those interviews!

This process sucks

This process is no doubt difficult...but stay positive! Only 36% of programs have sent out offers (according to the Google doc). Still a lot of offers yet to go out! Hang in there everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
I imagine there's some clustering of applicants with the best of best students from programs around the country getting many of the same interviews at strong programs. However, I also think it's the top few applicants from each school that net lots of interviews (15+), while the remainder of applicants from that school are working with much fewer interviews (<5). Even at a reputable med school with many strong applicants, no derm program can invite all the people applying from one school so they take their pick of "the best", often based on paper, and the rest are passed on. Unfortunately, it's the same couple of "best" applicants (AOA, high step 1, year off, strong clinicals, good research, etc.) that get the most love. I think that's definitely a factor at play if you have lots of company applying with you to derm this year as is the case at many schools.

That emphasizes the value of connections and doing really well on aways. Quality over quantity with those interviews!
So true. Derm programs only have a set number of interview spots. This is where I think the match sucks, bc many of the top people at top-tier med schools get interviews at top tier derm programs and end up taking a lot more spots even at lower programs, to play the odds well, and interview at places they would normally would have no interest in. If there was a way for them to sign up for the program that wants them and they can then sign the contract and get out of the match, it would help everyone else.

But yes, if there are a lot of people in your year applying for derm, it hurts the people lower who aren't AOA, aren't in the top bracket of class rank on the MSPE, don't have spectacular board scores, or not as much research (this being affected by the program you're at anyways - so it's almost self-fulfilling). Also just to clarify -- just bc you take a year off (to do research) doesn't necessarily mean anything. Programs know in a way, it's a hedging of bets to play the odds well.

So true. Derm programs only have a set number of interview spots. This is where I think the match sucks, bc many of the top people at top-tier med schools get interviews at top tier derm programs and end up taking a lot more spots even at lower programs, to play the odds well, and interview at places they would normally would have no interest in. If there was a way for them to sign up for the program that wants them and they can then sign the contract and get out of the match, it would help everyone else.

But yes, if there are a lot of people in your year applying for derm, it hurts the people lower who aren't AOA, aren't in the top bracket of class rank on the MSPE, don't have spectacular board scores, or not as much research (this being affected by the program you're at anyways - so it's almost self-fulfilling). Also just to clarify -- just bc you take a year off (to do research) doesn't necessarily mean anything. Programs know in a way, it's a hedging of bets to play the odds well.
Agree with your criticism of the match process. With everyone (even the most competitive applicants) essentially applying to nearly all programs, it dilutes the pool. Everyone is playing it safe and spending the extra few thousand dollars to apply broadly, but that ends up producing more interviews for the top people who were going to match if they had applied to half as many programs.

It would be an interesting experiment if they limited the number of applications per applicant to <30 programs. People would be a little more thoughtful as to their personal competitiveness, connections and geography. It would make for an easier job for the programs and it would be interesting to see what effect it would have the number and distribution of interviews and the match rate in general. You definitely wouldn't see programs like UNC who had 550 apps for 30 interviews and 4 spots. How many of those 550 people would've applied there if they were limited on the number of darts they could throw at the map? I'm sure there are some people who would've killed for a shot to be in NC and passed up for a stronger applicant who may be looking to end up on the other side of the country.

Agree with your criticism of the match process. With everyone (even the most competitive applicants) essentially applying to nearly all programs, it dilutes the pool. Everyone is playing it safe and spending the extra few thousand dollars to apply broadly, but that ends up producing more interviews for the top people who were going to match if they had applied to half as many programs.

It would be an interesting experiment if they limited the number of applications per applicant to <30 programs. People would be a little more thoughtful as to their personal competitiveness, connections and geography. It would make for an easier job for the programs and it would be interesting to see what effect it would have the number and distribution of interviews and the match rate in general. You definitely wouldn't see programs like UNC who had 550 apps for 30 interviews and 4 spots. How many of those 550 people would've applied there if they were limited on the number of darts they could throw at the map? I'm sure there are some people who would've killed for a shot to be in NC and passed up for a stronger applicant who may be looking to end up on the other side of the country.
Yup. It's most caustic in Derm bc you have so few spots and the the total number of interview spots in total --- some programs even have like 1 interview date. This doesn't even include having to cancel interviews bc of an interview conflict on the same day or logistically impossible to attend, so then you have to decide which derm interview is more important to you, which most M4s don't have the basis to judge which one ups their chances of matching --- I think this is where looking at prior match lists can help esp. at programs that are ridiculously inbred.

UNC is probably a bad example as it happens to be a strong program (unless you were referring to living in Chapel Hill, NC).

Right, I didn't mean to say UNC isn't a great program. I just meant that even at that program you wouldn't seen quite so many apps due to self-selection. Some people might feel like it's too much of a reach for them and apply elsewhere. I think the less desirable locations or weaker programs would have significantly fewer apps than they're currently getting.

Case in point - did anyone out there NOT apply to UNC? Strong program, 4 spots, pretty good location, not too hot, not too cold…

550 could quite possibly be just about the total number of derm applicants in ERAS this year.

Right, I didn't mean to say UNC isn't a great program. I just meant that even at that program you wouldn't seen quite so many apps due to self-selection. Some people might feel like it's too much of a reach for them and apply elsewhere. I think the less desirable locations or weaker programs would have significantly fewer apps than they're currently getting.
Yup, there are definitely weaker/weak derm programs out there and the only reason they are getting applications is solely due to being a derm program - no doubt. You'll notice on the trail easily which are the more weaker programs. Some programs tend to not favor outsiders anyways in terms of matching, but as an applicant you don't know that. So you might interview at a place, but u may not have a realistic chance there.

It's why programs also have to play the game too, they can't take too many top caliber applicants for interview (of an already high achieving group) bc they don't want to go unmatched for wasting all their applicant spots on the cream of the crop applicants. So then the guessing game starts: "This applicant is from Northwestern, is he just applying here bc he actually wants to come here, or bc he has to?" --- and then based on the person reading the app, they either say yes or no.

Case in point - did anyone out there NOT apply to UNC? Strong program, 4 spots, pretty good location, not too hot, not too cold…

550 could quite possibly be just about the total number of derm applicants in ERAS this year.
Did UNC release that statistic?

I'm pretty sure there are definitely a fair amount of people that didn't apply to UNC. I'd say the applicant pool is probably closer to something 650-700+. You also have to realize when looking at prior match years and "Charting Outcomes" that those statistics don't include individuals who applied to dermatology but either (1) didn't get any interviews or (2) didn't rank any programs.

I'm pretty sure there are definitely a fair amount of people that didn't apply to UNC. I'd say the applicant pool is probably closer to something 650-700+. You also have to realize when looking at prior match years and "Charting Outcomes" that those statistics don't include individuals who applied to dermatology but either (1) didn't get any interviews or (2) didn't rank any programs.
Realize people are often also ranking backup specialties at the same time.

They mentioned it in the rejection letter.
Ah, ok. But yes, since UNC is a good program, almost all applicants would definitely include it in their list, along with Duke and Wake Forest.

Wow, almost to the half way point. I'm so screwed.

Wow, almost to the half way point. I'm so screwed.
Same...

Did interviews just go out later in the past years? Literally every derm resident I have talked to said that most interviews come out around Thanksgiving and the first week or so of December...