2014-2015 Dermatology Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, almost to the half way point. I'm so screwed.
Same...

Did interviews just go out later in the past years? Literally every derm resident I have talked to said that most interviews come out around Thanksgiving and the first week or so of December...
Have you guys spoken or been in contact with your letter writers?

Members don't see this ad.

Just because some people have gotten interviews from certain places and you have not, doesn't mean you are rejected. Take a breath.

Just because some people have gotten interviews from certain places and you have not, doesn't mean you are rejected. Take a breath.
Easy for you to say, since you're not in that position (yet). While I do agree they should take a breath (or a drink), I definitely empathize with them, as the process is quite chaotic. It's not like IM or Peds where you get interviews from the moment you submit your app or the moment the Dean's letter comes thru. Programs take time to comb thru your application, your letters, your personal statement, and put a lot into it before granting interviews, since they interview so few in total.

At many places, not hearing anything back can very much be an official rejection, which you won't know for sure until the ROL due date, since many programs don't give an official email rejection.

Members don't see this ad :)
Easy for you to say, since you're not in that position (yet). While I do agree they should take a breath (or a drink), I definitely empathize with them, as the process is quite chaotic. It's not like IM or Peds where you get interviews from the moment you submit your app or the moment the Dean's letter comes thru. Programs take time to comb thru your application, your letters, your personal statement, and put a lot into it before granting interviews, since they interview so few in total.

At many places, not hearing anything back can very much be an official rejection, which you won't know for sure until the ROL due date, since many programs don't give an official email rejection.

I know it's easy for me to say; that's why I said it. It's nice to hear these kinds of things periodically from someone not within the process.

Have you guys spoken or been in contact with your letter writers?
No, should I be in contact with them? Will this not hurt my chances at the places these letter writers are faculty at?

Thanks for your advice though. I thought I was doing pretty well (3 interviews, 5 rejections), but based on the how many interview threads and the google doc, I am much more concerned.

I know it's easy for me to say; that's why I said it. It's nice to hear these kinds of things periodically from someone not within the process.
No, not really, bc you have no experience in the matter. It doesn't sound nice, just contrived.

Reactions: 1 user
No, should I be in contact with them? Will this not hurt my chances at the places these letter writers are faculty at?

Thanks for your advice though. I thought I was doing pretty well (3 interviews, 5 rejections), but based on the how many interview threads and the google doc, I am much more concerned.
I think it helps to remain in contact. The worst thing you can do is "hide" bc your mentors at your home program who wrote LORs for you will ask you how things are going on the interview trail when they meet you in the halls. It's only natural to want to know how the people you've mentored are doing.

You have 3 right now, you're fine. Don't use the Google Doc as a barometer for how many interviews you should have. That's the one reason I hate invite threads like these --- it unnecesarily gets people's heart rates up moment to moment, bc some diddly person got a phone call and people start wondering why they didn't get a phone call.

Are you a derm resident? Not trying to pull rank on you or anything like that, but it is nice to hear these things from people going through the process or people who have already completed the process.
I think it helps to remain in contact. The worst thing you can do is "hide" bc your mentors at your home program who wrote LORs for you will ask you how things are going on the interview trail when they meet you in the halls. It's only natural to want to know how the people you've mentored are doing.

You have 3 right now, you're fine. Don't use the Google Doc as a barometer for how many interviews you should have. That's the one reason I hate invite threads like these --- it unnecesarily gets people's heart rates up moment to moment, bc some diddly person got a phone call and people start wondering why they didn't get a phone call.
Thanks! Any thoughts on what to even say? I've been away and off studying for steps for a few months now so I haven't even seen these mentors in months (and i'm off for interviews so likely won't even see them until I interview there).

Should I just be like "Hey Dr ___. Hope you are doing well, I just wanted to thank you again for writing me a letter of recommendation and give you an update on how things were going..." Just feels like they would think its odd I am contacting them out of the blue just during interview season.

Thanks! Any thoughts on what to even say? I've been away and off studying for steps for a few months now so I haven't even seen these mentors in months (and i'm off for interviews so likely won't even see them until I interview there).

Should I just be like "Hey Dr ___. Hope you are doing well, I just wanted to thank you again for writing me a letter of recommendation and give you an update on how things were going..." Just feels like they would think its odd I am contacting them out of the blue just during interview season.
I think that should be fine. Realize these are your mentors. Unless they're somehow just very mean people (which wouldn't make sense to get a letter from them and you'd likely know this well before now), most mentors are happy to hear from those these are effectively mentoring. Tell them you hope their doing well, and thank them for writing letters, fit some small talk, and then update them. Maybe tell them how many programs you applied to, how many interviews you've gotten so far and that you're patiently waiting. You're not "imposing" on them.

They realize (or should realize) this process is havoc for everyone involved. You're not contacting them out of the blue - these are people who know you.

Are you a derm resident? Not trying to pull rank on you or anything like that, but it is nice to hear these things from people going through the process or people who have already completed the process.

nope, but I'm just saying from someone who has over-thought things in the past. these kinds of things are out of your hands. good luck!

nope, but I'm just saying from someone who has over-thought things in the past. these kinds of things are out of your hands. good luck!
Hopefully you'll remember that same advice when you apply. Much easier said than done, esp. when you're actually in the thick of things. It's like a starting M1 telling an M2 to chill or take a breath when they're freaking out about Step 1 they're taking in 2 weeks. It doesn't mean much, vs. if that same information was to come from an M3/M4. Yes, you're only trying to help, but to the other person it doesn't come off that way.

..trust me you have never experienced applying to derm

Members don't see this ad :)
..trust me you have never experienced applying to derm

i would imagine it is an emotionally taxing experience, especially with the dearth of interviews at this stage in the game compared to your counterparts applying to other fields. however, i can imagine that compulsively checking threads like these makes it infinitely more difficult. i can understand it means nothing coming from me, so i'll start lurking rather than posting from now on.

i would imagine it is an emotionally taxing experience, especially with the dearth of interviews at this stage in the game compared to your counterparts applying to other fields. however, i can imagine that compulsively checking threads like these makes it infinitely more difficult. i can understand it means nothing coming from me, so i'll start lurking rather than posting from now on.
I don't think they were trying to be mean although it might sound that way depending on how it's interpreted. No one is telling you to silence yourself.
Your input is appreciated (whether u believe that or not).

You have to understand it's very nervewracking when many people in your M4 class applying to other fields -- IM, Peds, Path, Rads, PM&R, Psych, General Surgery, Anesthesiology, etc. will be getting interviews left and right from the moment the floodgate opens (and will be talking about it out loud as well). It's hard as a Derm applicant to then have them ask you how the interview season is going and you can count the number of Derm interviews on one hand. Deficiences in your application can be magnified by you - bc someone else had one more publication, or was AOA, etc. Weeks pass, and then you start doubting yourself. The invite thread at least gives you some semblance of an idea whether invites have been given already or not - it's a valuable resource, but can also be a double edged sword.

It's really hard to explain it well for you to undestand, but you'll understand soon enough when you're checking compulsively next year as well, and you'll know exactly what we are talking about. Who knows maybe you'll be lucky and have interviews out the wazoo that you know more than what to do with. Then you can tell us what fools we are for freaking out. lol. :D

I don't think they were trying to be mean although it might sound that way depending on how it's interpreted. No one is telling you to silence yourself.
Your input is appreciated (whether u believe that or not).

You have to understand it's very nervewracking when many people in your M4 class applying to other fields -- IM, Peds, Path, Rads, PM&R, Psych, General Surgery, Anesthesiology, etc. will be getting interviews left and right from the moment the floodgate opens (and will be talking about it out loud as well). It's hard as a Derm applicant to then have them ask you how the interview season is going and you can count the number of Derm interviews on one hand. Deficiences in your application can be magnified by you - bc someone else had one more publication, or was AOA, etc. Weeks pass, and then you start doubting yourself. The invite thread at least gives you some semblance of an idea whether invites have been given already or not - it's a valuable resource, but can also be a double edged sword.

It's really hard to explain it well for you to undestand, but you'll understand soon enough when you're checking compulsively next year as well, and you'll know exactly what we are talking about. Who knows maybe you'll be lucky and have interviews out the wazoo that you know more than what to do with. Then you can tell us what fools we are for freaking out. lol. :D

Thanks for this post. These kinds of posts are very much needed to help validate others' feelings during this grueling process.

I know I will freak out when the time comes, lol.

Thanks for this post. These kinds of posts are very much needed to help validate others' feelings during this grueling process.

I know I will freak out when the time comes, lol.
No problem. I didn't want you to feel like your opinions weren't wanted or weren't worth anything. Our advice is helpful at different steps of the journey for different people. The best one on the sidelines can do is just be empathetic and be understanding of those who are going thru it currently, and just realize that our perspective will likely change once we go thru it ourselves.

This is kind of something we all go thru and fight alone (along with our families and significant others who we drag along involuntarily with us. lol).

Wow, almost to the half way point. I'm so screwed.

In the bottom right corner of the Google Doc I added a counter function for the number of programs interviewing. Currently, only 41% of programs have sent out invites of some kind... or rather 60% of programs have yet to send out invites ;-)

Would you guys recommend contacting letter writers from other institutions or only from your home institution? I have letters from two of the places I rotated but not sure if it would be appropriate to contact them when I am applying to their program and just be like hey I have 7 interviews? I am also scheduled to interview there soon.

Also another question. When you go on these interviews and interview with 10-15 faculty members/residents is it expected to write everyone a thank you letter? Do thank you notes even matter anymore or do they already rank candidates prior to that? And if you don't write everyone a thank you letter then should you select specific people (Program director, program coordinator, etc).

Would you guys recommend contacting letter writers from other institutions or only from your home institution? I have letters from two of the places I rotated but not sure if it would be appropriate to contact them when I am applying to their program and just be like hey I have 7 interviews? I am also scheduled to interview there soon.

7 interviews? Are you kidding me? I think you're well ahead of the pack, buddy. The advice about working with your letter writers was directed to the folks with 0-2 interviews at this point. You need to reread FIREitUP's sage advice up there on comment #202. :)

7 interviews? Are you kidding me? I think you're well ahead of the pack, buddy. The advice about working with your letter writers was directed to the folks with 0-2 interviews at this point. You need to reread FIREitUP's sage advice up there on comment #202. :)

lol :p

Lol ok. I skipped a big middle portion of that conversation because it seemed like it was going on for a long time haha. But yes I have 7 interviews but two of them are from places I rotated so in reality probably more like 5.

Lol ok. I skipped a big middle portion of that conversation because it seemed like it was going on for a long time haha. But yes I have 7 interviews but two of them are from places I rotated so in reality probably more like 5.
Um, no. In reality you have 7. Not all interviews bc you rotated are courtesy interviews.

Someone please fix the sort on the Google sheet. WTF

Looks like Yale sent out another batch of interviews

Is there a way to "lock" the fields so it can't be maneuvered? @PatsyStone

Mmmm, I'm not sure how to do that, but if someone knows how, let me know. Alternatively, I could lock the entire sheet, and people can message me when there are updates.

Also, can anyone confirm that Cook Country sent out invites on November 5, and that Northwestern notified external candidates and is only interviewing on November 19. Also, someone added UMass today, but it is no longer present. If they did send invites, please update it.

Mmmm, I'm not sure how to do that, but if someone knows how, let me know. Alternatively, I could lock the entire sheet, and people can message me when there are updates.

Also, can anyone confirm that Cook Country sent out invites on November 5, and that Northwestern notified external candidates and is only interviewing on November 19. Also, someone added UMass today, but it is no longer present. If they did send invites, please update it.
Go under Data > Protected sheets and ranges, and I believe you can then protect certain fields (cells) from being edited. You just select the range of cells.
I would protect the Column headings and the State and Derm program name columns so those can't be altered or changed around. Also is the rejection sheet necessary since there is already a column on the front sheet? If not, erase it.

Can anyone confirm that UTSW and UC-Irvine sent out rejections yesterday 11/13? Haven't heard anything from these places.

Go under Data > Protected sheets and ranges, and I believe you can then protect certain fields (cells) from being edited. You just select the range of cells.
I would protect the Column headings and the State and Derm program name columns so those can't be altered or changed around. Also is the rejection sheet necessary since there is already a column on the front sheet? If not, erase it.

OK, the program names and the column headings are protected and cannot be edited

Um, no. In reality you have 7. Not all interviews bc you rotated are courtesy interviews.
7 is 7. That's still a lot at this point and only 3 away from the magic number to match if you're one of those people who lives and dies by the data on Charting the Outcomes.

I'd argue that interviews from places you rotate are more valuable and legit. If after 4 weeks they like you enough to offer you one of their precious interview spots, then that means they're looking at you seriously. With so many other good applicants out there, I don't believe there are many charity invitations being sent out. In the end, I think people have a better chance of matching at programs that know them (i.e. home program or away rotation). That's why we do aways after all.

Hey guys, I just got a PM from someone who wanted me to tell you this (he/she wanted to remain anonymous):
I had to cancel two of my invites due to schedule conflicts. Hope they go to people waiting to hear from those places. Good luck!

Interviews will start conflicting for people and they'll have to choose one or the other, so don't give up just yet.

Dermatology application season has made me extremely neurotic.

I was just doing some "assumptive mathematics", lots of rounding and NOT based on any data. The numbers come out nicely in my mind.

Number of applicants: 600
Number of ACGME Dermatology Residency positions: 350

Let's assume that each program gives out about 30 interview invites, multiple this by 115 programs = 3000 interview offers out in the pool
Let's assume the "Top 20 programs" have 5 spots each = 100 TOP applicants
Let's assume again that these TOP 100 applicants get about 15 interviews each = Taking up about 1500 interview spots (So the top 25% take up about 50% of interview offers available in this nebulous pool)

Therefore, there are about 1500 spots left distributed among the remaining applicants. On average, the reminaing 250 future matched applicants should get around 1-10 interviews each.

So I want to conclude by saying, of the applicants:
Top 25th%ile = ~15 interview invitations, almost guaranteed match
25-75th%ile = 1-10 (average 5) interviews invitations; match/no match, anything can happen!!!
Bottom 25%ile = May get interviews, but likely not match

But who knows, anyone along this spectrum has the possibility of NOT matching. There is so much more that goes into what constitutes where an applicant falls into what category. I just did the mathematics in my head, freaked myself out, and then wanted to share with everyone on SDN so that I can share my pain...

Last edited:

I was just doing some "assumptive mathematics", lots of rounding and NOT based on any data. The numbers come out nicely in my mind.

Let's assume that each program gives out about 30 interview invites, multiple this by 115 programs = 3000 interview offers out in the pool
Let's assume again that these TOP 100 applicants get about 15 interviews each = Taking up about 1500 interview spots (So the top 25% take up about 50% of interview offers available in this nebulous pool)

Therefore, there are about 1500 spots left distributed among the remaining applicants. On average, the reminaing 250 future matched applicants should get around 1-10 interviews each.

25-75th%ile = 1-10 (average 5) interviews invitations; match/no match, anything can happen!!!

But who knows, anyone along this spectrum has the possibility of NOT matching. There is so much more that goes into what constitutes where an applicant falls into what category. I just did the mathematics in my head, freaked myself out, and then wanted to share with everyone on SDN so that I can share my pain...
Uh, yeah, that's too complicated and neurotic for me. Mainly bc what throws a wrench into your system is that what a program uses to select M4s for interviews varies and can be affected by how many people are applying for derm at your school in your year (which affects the number of interviews you get), unmatched interns applying now, research fellows applying now, etc.

Realize there are Derm programs have like 7-8 spots, so they're likely to interview more people than a place that only has 1-2 spots.

I think the # of positions is over 400. There was something like 403 matches last year and I think the # of positions has increased. Between 2010 and 2014, the number of PGY1/PGY2 positions has gone up from about 360 to 400. They been slowly adding new spots every year consistently.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the # of positions is over 400. There was something like 403 matches last year and I think the # of positions has increased. Between 2010 and 2014, the number of PGY1/PGY2 positions has gone up from about 360 to 400. They been slowly adding new spots every year consistently.
Yes. That's one thing they have tried to do is increase the number of spots. Realize that you have to have enough cases in derm residency to justify increasing spots. It's done thru the RRC which approves it. A program can't just add a spot bc it wants to.

Time for you to go grab a 6 pack and take care of business.

There is a major difference between an academic clinical faculty spot and a physician scientist. In general, there is an 80%/20% time split between clinical work and research time. Academic clinical faculty spend only a small amount of time (often none) conducting research, whereas physician scientists spend the majority of their time conducting research. The compensation for academic faculty can be only 10% that of many private practice jobs, and research salaries even lower, especially with the NIH funding climate as it is. The benefit of having a program like what is at BU is not just the 'mentoring' (which in and of itself should not be discounted), but the launching of a research career, help with getting funding, and establishing a research career. In any field of medicine, one does not simply walk into a research career wherever they want -- it is ridiculous to think that is the case. Dermatology in particular has fallen way behind other fields in terms of producing researchers mainly because the economics of private practice vs. academics and research drive people away from research. That a program is being bold enough to be explicit in recruiting researchers will do nothing but benefit the entire field.

Exactly. They kind of "topped" it off for me by requiring a really long supplemental application with a (1) 1-page statement on why BU's 6-year program? In which the only answer is really "I want an academic career and mentorship" and I had already explained this in my actual personal statement which I sent to every program, and (2) 2 or 3 (?) essays of any length (?) which were all basically the same topic of "how do you deal with difficult decisions or situations?" and would have been much better off as interview questions than required essays.

I ended up filling it out and sending it in. I'm fine with supplemental applications if I see they could have value in the admissions process and are appropriate length, but I honestly didn't see the point of BU's supplement other than requiring 4-5 hours of "busy" work for applicants who are already juggling a lot in order to weed out the few applicants who aren't interested enough to fill it out.

There is a major difference between an academic clinical faculty spot and a physician scientist. In general, there is an 80%/20% time split between clinical work and research time. Academic clinical faculty spend only a small amount of time (often none) conducting research, whereas physician scientists spend the majority of their time conducting research. The compensation for academic faculty can be only 10% that of many private practice jobs, and research salaries even lower, especially with the NIH funding climate as it is. The benefit of having a program like what is at BU is not just the 'mentoring' (which in and of itself should not be discounted), but the launching of a research career, help with getting funding, and establishing a research career. In any field of medicine, one does not simply walk into a research career wherever they want -- it is ridiculous to think that is the case. Dermatology in particular has fallen way behind other fields in terms of producing researchers mainly because the economics of private practice vs. academics and research drive people away from research. That a program is being bold enough to be explicit in recruiting researchers will do nothing but benefit the entire field.
Except they aren't recruiting physician scientists or researchers. They even say that in their supplemental application. They want to recruit faculty academicians - and yes, there is a difference.

Ah well, fair enough. I clearly read through all that mess.

Good luck to everyone out there -- I think I lost several years of life from stress this time last year!

Except they aren't recruiting physician scientists or researchers. They even say that in their supplemental application. They want to recruit faculty academicians - and yes, there is a difference.

Of this increase, how many used to be outside the match (i.e. saved for research fellows)? There have been a few new programs, but they are all small: Carilion Clinic (1 spot, I think), University of MIssissippi (2 spots), NS-LIJ (maybe 1 or 2, however, SUNY Downstate used to rotate here, so maybe this will decrease the number of their spots). At the same time, some programs have closed (NIH, UCLA-Drew).

Of this increase, how many used to be outside the match (i.e. saved for research fellows)? There have been a few new programs, but they are all small: Carilion Clinic (1 spot, I think), University of MIssissippi (2 spots), NS-LIJ (maybe 1 or 2, however, SUNY Downstate used to rotate here, so maybe this will decrease the number of their spots). At the same time, some programs have closed (NIH, UCLA-Drew).
also, most applicants for derm ever this year. i doubt the # of spots has increased in pace with the # of applicants. 667. gonna be brutal.

https://www.aamc.org/services/eras/stats

also, most applicants for derm ever this year. i doubt the # of spots has increased in pace with the # of applicants. 667. gonna be brutal.

https://www.aamc.org/services/eras/stats

Very interesting data, thanks for the link. It's getting harder and harder to match derm!! Looks like PM&R is becoming more popular year after year. The drop in applicants for rads is alarming.

If you download the excel file, and go to the "applicant" spreadsheet, the total number of applicants as of 10/15/2014: 667 (US grad) + 95 (IMG) +83 (DO) = 845. The cut off for the spreadsheet is 10/15 of each year. There are likely more applicants after 10/15 of each year, making the final total to be closer to ~1000. Derm gets more late applicants because the deadlines are later and the interviews happen later.

I believe you got your numbers from the "historical data" section, which does not have this year's statistics yet since the current cycle is not over.