2014-2015 Georgetown GEMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it was ochlistings.georgetown.edu

But it looks like you can't log in to find roommates until you get an acceptance and a GU log in and stuff

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Current GEMS here....Yes the school does send out a list of housing options. But be prepared, most places are expensive and not very large.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Looking for a male roommate for the GEMS 2014-15 school year. Preferably, someone who is neat. If anyone is interested please DM me.

So since we're all a standstill until the end of the month -_-

Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between Georgetown's GEMS and SMP program? I was reading their thread and they seem less competitive?

I've just been looking on craigslist. Are you from DC area? I will have to relocate which makes it kinda hard to find a place right now.

No, unfortunately, I'm from out of state and it's also been hard. I've been looking at the ochlistings website but no luck yet

Hi guys, after weighing my options between Ohio State's Medpath and GEMS, I have decided to go to Ohio. I had a wonderful time with the May interview group, and wish you guys best of luck. Congrats everyone. I hope my spot is given to someone else. I would love to see someone rejoicing again. @Phosphofructoidontcarease hope you get it. best of luck. I'll still keep in touch with the few May interviewees I made friends with. :prof::prof:

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys, after weighing my options between Ohio State's Medpath and GEMS, I have decided to go to Ohio. I had a wonderful time with the May interview group, and wish you guys best of luck. Congrats everyone. I hope my spot is given to someone else. I would love to see someone rejoicing again. @Phosphofructoidontcarease hope you get it. best of luck. I'll still keep in touch with the few May interviewees I made friends with. :prof::prof:
I wish. According to GEMS they don't let anyone in that has been rejected already they just let a smaller class in. Good luck, Ohio is much cheaper. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to ask if people with cars are planning on bringing their car to Georgetown? I have heard mixed advice (some people told me having a car in DC is too much of a hassle your first year, yet others recommend bringing a car despite that). If you own a car do you plan on bringing it to the program? I'm undecided as of right now and would appreciate hearing about other opinions, thanks guys!!

I wanted to ask if people with cars are planning on bringing their car to Georgetown? I have heard mixed advice (some people told me having a car in DC is too much of a hassle your first year, yet others recommend bringing a car despite that). If you own a car do you plan on bringing it to the program? I'm undecided as of right now and would appreciate hearing about other opinions, thanks guys!!

I actually agonized over this for a while and decided not to bring my car. All the places close to Georgetown have street parking and that's probably hard to find. And some apts/houses offer parking spots for $50+ a month. Besides I think everything is pretty metro accessible. I have a good friend living there and she only needed a car when moving between apts.... And if you drove to campus you'd most likely have to pay for parking.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone on here know about zone parking in DC? Also do any current/former GEMS know if there is a break between the summer portion and the fall portion of the year?

I'm not sure if you guys know but we don't need a GU student ID to log in and see room mates on the off campus housing website. You can submit a request to have a Guest ID log in, that way you can create a profile and have other people looking for a roommate contact you as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone applied to GEMS with a 30-32 MCAT and got an interview? I ask because my sGPA is in the 2.9-3.0 range while my cGPA is about 3.3.

I took the MCAT twice 25 then 32. I've registered for Biochem this fall with the hopes of applying to GEMS. As of yesterday I have a 30+ MCAT and unsure of how to procede.

Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone applied to GEMS with a 30-32 MCAT and got an interview? I ask because my sGPA is in the 2.9-3.0 range while my sGPA is about 3.3.

I took the MCAT twice 25 then 32. I've registered for Biochem this fall with the hopes of applying to GEMS. As of yesterday I have a 30+ MCAT and unsure of how to procede.

Any suggestions welcome.
you can always apply but the program is geared to students with lower MCAT scores.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone applied to GEMS with a 30-32 MCAT and got an interview? I ask because my sGPA is in the 2.9-3.0 range while my sGPA is about 3.3.

Any suggestions welcome.

Karasu I would encourage you to apply because I had similar numbers and was invited to interview. My sGPA is 2.75, cGPA 3.0 but my MCAT scores are 32 (10V, 12P, 10B) and 31 (12V, 9V, 10B). I don't think having a 30+ MCAT restricts you from applying.

Hi,

Any suggestions welcome.

I strongly suggest you to apply. While your MCAT scores are competitive your GPA is not. If you have a lot of strong EC activities with you community then you may be okay but I think your application could really stand out with this program.

Can those of you who got accepted/interviewed share your stats. I interviewed for drexel Dpms and waiting. I will apply next cycle if I miss drexel.

@NextUpandComing and @WarholMadrid Thank you guys for the encouragement.

My breakdowns are 10P /5V/10B and 11P/10V/11B. I don't know how I pulled a 10V this second time, but I certainly know not to ask too many questions and just be grateful.

@WarholMadrid Did you apply exclusively to SMPs or did you also apply to medical schools?

Can those of you who got accepted/interviewed share your stats. I interviewed for drexel Dpms and waiting. I will apply next cycle if I miss drexel.

GPA ~2.9, MCAT 24 (7P/11V/6B) But I have shadowing experience, 6+ years of volunteering at a hospital and I also work in the ER.

MCAT: 24 ; sGPA: 2.9; cGPA: 3.3; Tons of volunteering experience and shadowing. 2 years of Research.

@NextUpandComing and @WarholMadrid Thank you guys for the encouragement.

My breakdowns are 10P /5V/10B and 11P/10V/11B. I don't know how I pulled a 10V this second time, but I certainly know not to ask too many questions and just be grateful.

@WarholMadrid Did you apply exclusively to SMPs or did you also apply to medical schools?

I also applied to some med schools but wasn't successful.

Thank you all for your response. It looks like I will have to do more volunteer hours if I have to apply

Any other people decided on what they are doing car-wise?

I'm trying to look for a place near campus because I think it will be best to leave my car. I heard parking is horrible in the regular streets and depending where you live parking is not guaranteed (unless you pay extra).

Have you found a place, yet?

Haven't found a place yet. I'll be arriving late June and stay with my friend while I apt hunt. I'm thinking I can find something and sign a lease within that time. I'm not in DC so its hard to get a place when I haven't seen it/met the roommates. But I at least know what area I want to live in. (GLover park, foxhall, maybe adams morgan [its close enough for biking, not metro]).

I've been looking at bicycles as a means of transportation to and from school! I heard bike thefts is a problem though lol.

Did not know about the bike theft problem :/

Has anybody heard back from the financial aid office? I called last week and they said they would be e-mailing this week -_-

I'm trying to look for a place near campus because I think it will be best to leave my car. I heard parking is horrible in the regular streets and depending where you live parking is not guaranteed (unless you pay extra).

Think about living further and renting a space

Did not know about the bike theft problem :/

Has anybody heard back from the financial aid office? I called last week and they said they would be e-mailing this week -_-

lol I just called this morning because I was freaking out about expenses and they said they will process fin aid after June 1st, so basically next week.

I've thought about it but I don't know if the long commute is worth it?

Are you looking for your own space or living with roommates?

Living far might not be worth a cheaper rent though unless its significantly less? Will you be commuting by car?

lol I just called this morning because I was freaking out about expenses and they said they will process fin aid after June 1st, so basically next week.

Living far might not be worth a cheaper rent though unless its significantly less? Will you be commuting by car?
Yes I'll be commuting

Got my rejection letter last week, good luck to everyone else.
Sorry to hear that. Don't give up though. I didn't know that you can not reapply to GEMS because I am pretty sure students have applied to the program more than once, and even got in. Maybe something changed this year. Look at other similar programs if you have not already. Ohio's Medpath and Drexel's DPMS are some of the other popular ones. Almost every state has a similar program, but for some you need to be in-state resident.

If you need to move to another state for a year and get in-state residency which will allow you for their program, do that. Or if you need to study for the MCAT again, don't rush and make sure to do TON of practice problems if MCAT was your weakness. But, don't give up. Seems like this is what you want to do and you will get there. I hope in the near future :)

It was a pleasure to interview with you and get to know you. I was hoping we would be classmates and crush that med school material together, but I am sure you made the right choice. I know that you will be successful whether you were going to G-town or Ohio state. Definitely keep in touch. I hope that a year from now, we will be all where we have been working so hard to get to.

Reactions: 2 users
It was a pleasure to interview with you and get to know you. I was hoping we would be classmates and crush that med school material together, but I am sure you made the right choice. I know that you will be successful whether you were going to G-town or Ohio state. Definitely keep in touch. I hope that a year from now, we will be all where we have been working so hard to get to.
Thanks Man, it was a pleasure interviewing with you as well, good luck and I know you will do really well at Georgetown.

Haven't found a place yet, it's tricky because I live in California. I may fly over and use AirBnB for maybe a week and sign a lease after I arrive. The logistics of moving across the country are new to me so I'm still brainstorming different ideas..

Haven't found a place yet, it's tricky because I live in California. I may fly over and use AirBnB for maybe a week and sign a lease after I arrive. The logistics of moving across the country are new to me so I'm still brainstorming different ideas..
Same here *sigh*

Hey, WarholMadrid! I think I know you from the 2nd group of GEMS interviewees! I am from NC and also looking for a place within walking distance, maybe you, me and FutureMD827 can team up? If you are interested, let me know!

Hey, WarholMadrid! I think I know you from the 2nd group of GEMS interviewees! I am from NC and also looking for a place within walking distance, maybe you, me and FutureMD827 can team up? If you are interested, let me know!

Definitely!

Thanks GoHeels1987, I'm moving in with my boyfriend so I'm currently looking at 1 bedroom apartments, but if you guys happen to find a house with a master bedroom and need a pair of people to occupy it, I would appreciate being kept in the loop! I will have to PM to ask who you are since I'm sure we met at the interview.

If you guys wanted to live together I saw a 6 bedroom house on the och.listings website but it wasn't available until August 1st :/