2014-2015 Georgetown GEMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What sort of interview questions do they usually ask? Is it a laid back type of environment? What did you wear to your interview, the normal suit and tie?
hey r u asking this bc u got an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Woody 1989,

Thank you very much for posting and offering to answer questions. What classes have you taken/currently in through the GEMS program and what was your day like from 8AM to 6PM?

Thanks!

The followings are the classes: Medical oriented Biochemistry, CardioPulmonary, Gastrointestinal, Renal, Case/Problem base, Advanced Pathophysiology. You have no idea what your schedule would be like because administration change it hour by hour because the goal is you have to always be prepared. Just know from 8:00- 5:00 you will always have something to do.

The followings are the classes: Medical oriented Biochemistry, CardioPulmonary, Gastrointestinal, Renal, Case/Problem base, Advanced Pathophysiology. You have no idea what your schedule would be like because administration change it hour by hour because the goal is you have to always be prepared. Just know from 8:00- 5:00 you will always have something to do.

Hi Woody 1989, I was wondering how the semesters are broken down? When does school start and end and what are the breaks in between?

I am sure tomorrow we will get some calls :) lets keep our fingers crossed and our hopes high :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Y'all. I also applied and I'm from PA. I didn't get a call Friday but heres hoping that we'll start to hear something today. Good luck to everyone !

same here (also from PA too!)....best of wishes to everyone

Hmmm... I guess we will be getting a call tomorrow? lol :eyebrow:

Hey everyone. I just got a letter in the mail dated April 11th, stating I was rejected. I live in New Jersey in case you guys were wondering.

Best of luck to those that haven't heard yet. Keep hope up. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. I just got a letter in the mail dated April 11th, stating I was rejected. I live in New Jersey in case you guys were wondering.

Hey thanks for lettings us know, Dodger. I hope you'll have more success with other programs/ if you apply again next year!

im sorry to hear that...i wish u the best... if you dont mind me asking, did your status say "complete?"

Thank you for sharing with us! I wish you the best in your endeavors henceforth. God bless!

My status still says, "in review" for those who are wondering.

If by basic stats you're referring to sGPA and MCAT. Mine were 3.05 and 27, respectively. I'm also an URM with financial issues.

I don't have any other programs I'm applying to at the moment since I don't have the money for typical SMP programs (upwards of $50,000 for two years). I will reapply to MD programs in the fall though. o_O

My status still says, "in review" for those who are wondering.

If by basic stats you're referring to sGPA and MCAT. Mine were 3.05 and 27, respectively. I'm also an URM with financial issues.

I don't have any other programs I'm applying to at the moment since I don't have the money for typical SMP programs (upwards of $50,000 for two years). I will reapply to MD programs in the fall though. o_O

Ha…i have similar stats. Maybe i should check the mail?

Hey! I got a rejection letter too and I checked online and it still says "in review." I did also check the letter to see if it said how many apps they got but no such luck. My stats are similar to dodger for the mcat. My undergrad gpa was a 3.3 and 3.0 science and i got my masters of public health and my gpa for that was a 3.5. Good luck to you all. I hope someone hears good news soon.

Hey Guys!

I Also got my rejection letter on the mail. My stats are:
GPA: 3.3
MCAT: 22
EC: leadership roles, a lot of comm service
Work: Independent since age 17, working 35-40 hrs a week
A minority

Good luck to you all! Keep hoping for the best! Just keep moving forward with a positive attitude no matter what news you hear and remember that if you really work hard, your dreams of becoming a doctor will come to pass... It's just that sometimes you have to knock on a lot of doors and keep insisting and never giving up!

Aaaaaaand remember that you are more than just stats, you are a human being with an enormous ability to love and to reach any life goals you put your mind into :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all! Received my rejection letter on my way home from work :/ I am URM with AMCAS GPA: 2.9, MCAT 31 and extensive EC's. I wonder what the committee is looking for when they review applications. Can any current GEMS students comment on this with their experience so far in the program?

Best of luck to everyone still in the race for this program! Stay strong.

Hey Guys!

I Also got my rejection letter on the mail. My stats are:
GPA: 3.3
MCAT: 22
EC: leadership roles, a lot of comm service
Work: Independent since age 17, working 35-40 hrs a week
A minority

Good luck to you all! Keep hoping for the best! Just keep moving forward with a positive attitude no matter what news you hear and remember that if you really work hard, your dreams of becoming a doctor will come to pass... It's just that sometimes you have to knock on a lot of doors and keep insisting and never giving up!

Aaaaaaand remember that you are more than just stats, you are a human being with an enormous ability to love and to reach any life goals you put your mind into :)

Hey you guys, best of luck to you in the future.
Their rejection pattern is so odd. I am really surprised you all got rejected based on your stats. I wonder what they are looking for?
Thanks for keeping us updated!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a rejection letter as well :(

Good luck to you all :)

Got a rejection letter also. Similar stats to those mentioned. Really don't know what they're looking for.

does anyone else find it weird that there have ONLY been rejections on this thread? has anyone got an interview invite?? I still haven't received my dreaded denial letter, but am anxiously checking my mailbox everyday assuming I'm getting one if I haven't heard back by now :/
If you have not received anything by now, then i think it is a good sign :)

Yea I do think thats really weird that we haven't heard of any interviews. Maybe those people aren't on SDN :( I have no idea what they're looking for. I also had extensive ECs but perhaps they're looking for very specific candidates. But cheeks25 that was so nice what you said and very true! Good luck to you all

Yea I do think thats really weird that we haven't heard of any interviews. Maybe those people aren't on SDN :( I have no idea what they're looking for. I also had extensive ECs but perhaps they're looking for very specific candidates. But cheeks25 that was so nice what you said and very true! Good luck to you all

Yes it is pretty weird it is taking this long for you guys to know. Thank you :) I just know how much of a toll this can take on us. We are all working really hard to get accepted to a medical school and sometimes it can get really hard. We might feel we are working very hard for merely a 'small chance' of getting into medical school and hope that the admission's committee 'see us worthy' of an acceptance on the basis of an application that barely scratches the surface of who we are. I am telling you that no matter what people say or do to you, it should not take your happiness away and drain your energy. I've seen people get depressed over this process but you guys just keep moving forward. Like the song says "Don't worry, be happy" :)

I got my rejection letter in the postal. Thinking back, I shouldn't have applied because although I am a minority, I am not part of a truly underrepresented group of students. I think they really save the spot of inherently underrepresented students, being a minority is not enough. For those of you who are still waiting, good luck and stay with it.

I got my rejection letter in the postal. Thinking back, I shouldn't have applied because although I am a minority, I am not part of a truly underrepresented group of students. I think they really save the spot of inherently underrepresented students, being a minority is not enough. For those of you who are still waiting, good luck and stay with it.
Just curious what do you mean by inherently urm?

Soooo is it safe to assume that NOBODY on this thread got a phone call seeing as the first interview is supposed to be on Monday? #whatisgoingon

Okay I feel really bad but I got an interview invite. There are probably others on this forum that got invited too. However, in the call they told us not to say anything until things were confirmed.

Okay I feel really bad but I got an interview invite. There are probably others on this forum that got invited too. However, in the call they told us not to say anything until things were confirmed.

Congrats and Good luck!!

I guess they don't care about stats. Unlike most programs, they probably care more about success of the student t

Thanks for telling us and good luck!! I wish they'd at least update the website though so that we could all stop wondering...

I guess they don't care about stats. Unlike most programs, they probably care more about success of the student t

Thanks for telling us and good luck!! I wish they'd at least update the website though so that we could all stop wondering...
Thank you

Congrats! Mind sharing some stats and what you think set you apart?

Congrats! Mind sharing some stats and what you think set you apart?
No prob. 2.9 sgpa 3.27 cgpa 24 MCAT.
I had a current med student critique my essays and geared my disadvantage essay towards what gems defined it as.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I wish you the best! Don't forget to prepare for your interview by reading Georgetown's mission statement and so forth. Keep us updated :)

I
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I wish you the best! Don't forget to prepare for your interview by reading Georgetown's mission statement and so forth. Keep us updated :)
I will =) and thank you

Hey guys,

I also received an interview invite. I felt bad that I could not post right away but they were pretty strict about that during the phone call.

When is your interview FutureMD? Mine is on May 5th.

Hey guys,

I also received an interview invite. I felt bad that I could not post right away but they were pretty strict about that during the phone call.

When is your interview FutureMD? Mine is on May 5th.
Me too!