2014-2015 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ahhrrgg everyone keeps saying well all be okay but dude.. Idk man this is rough , an emotional roller coaster

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ahhrrgg everyone keeps saying well all be okay but dude.. Idk man this is rough , an emotional roller coaster

Yeah this process absolutely sucks. I'm sitting on 3 rejections post-secondary and absolutely no MD interviews. It's killing me because I really don't think my application is THAT horrible. Just chilling, waiting, and hoping that somebody gives me a chance. :(

Yeah this process absolutely sucks. I'm sitting on 3 rejections post-secondary and absolutely no MD interviews. It's killing me because I really don't think my application is THAT horrible. Just chilling, waiting, and hoping that somebody gives me a chance. :(

I feel you man. I'm at 7 rejections and no II.

Members don't see this ad :)

It is. I nearly forgot how crazy it was. Of course, I was more successful the first time around (I'm about 9 II's behind and 12 rejections ahead in terms of pace), but it's still never easy.

New rule. Anyone with an M.D. acceptance is barred from this thread :p

Reactions: 3 users
New rule. Anyone with an M.D. acceptance is barred from this thread :p

Except to provide moral support for less fortunate ones. Or maybe to panic for a really really really desired school...

Just started to post since panic is truly setting in after October 15th and all the acceptances......no interviews here, complete early September with lots of secondaries, 3 rejections, and a CA resident which I heard is like having a felony conviction on your application to OOS schools........is it too late to apply to Carribbean/Puerto Rico Schools? MCAT 30 gpa 3.7

Yeah, officially panicking due to silence from almost all schools I was complete in late july - mid august for

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just started to post since panic is truly setting in after October 15th and all the acceptances......no interviews here, complete early September with lots of secondaries, 3 rejections, and a CA resident which I heard is like having a felony conviction on your application to OOS schools........is it too late to apply to Carribbean/Puerto Rico Schools? MCAT 30 gpa 3.7

Here's to law school?

I sent a panic email to my premed advisor in mid september before I had received any IIs. She told me that in her experience, MOST applicants that are going to get an interview do not have one until december. Which does make sense given that most schools interview from september-march (december is right in the middle).

I had a hard time believing this at first but she has been doing this for over a decade and as an adviser she has a view of the application process that few have. Keep in mind that SDN is HIGHLY self selecting for the people that post - or even the people that regularly visit SDN.

I know that wait sucks, but seriously, don't start thinking it's over until January and even then you have a shot but I think its reasonable to start thinking about your next move at that point.

Reactions: 3 users
I sent a panic email to my premed advisor in mid september before I had received any IIs. She told me that in her experience, MOST applicants that are going to get an interview do not have one until december. Which does make sense given that most schools interview from september-march (december is right in the middle).

I had a hard time believing this at first but she has been doing this for over a decade and as an adviser she has a view of the application process that few have. Keep in mind that SDN is HIGHLY self selecting for the people that post - or even the people that regularly visit SDN.

I know that wait sucks, but seriously, don't start thinking it's over until January and even then you have a shot but I think its reasonable to start thinking about your next move at that point.

Trying to think that way! It's so tough, especially when my top choice school is already booked into January. The panic is real... :/

I remember getting an IS interview invite in early March the last time I applied. So, I'm setting that deadline as my final moment of resignation. Still, can't shake the panic caused by the fact that I'm now 20 interviews behind last attempt and 14 ahead in rejections.

That may be true in general, but this particular cycle has been essentially accelerated. I think it was Goro who said that most schools at this point only have about 15% of their interview slots left to give out :(

That may be true in general, but this particular cycle has been essentially accelerated. I think it was Goro who said that most schools at this point only have about 15% of their interview slots left to give out :(

I would respectfully question Goro's knowledge of the interview quota status of any medical school but his/her own. Also, why would the cycle be accelerated?

** feel free to correct/enlighten me @Goro

I feel like my heart just fell into my stomach and exploded. I really don't want to believe this.

I remember getting an IS interview invite in early March the last time I applied. So, I'm setting that deadline as my final moment of resignation. Still, can't shake the panic caused by the fact that I'm now 20 interviews behind last attempt and 14 ahead in rejections.
I don't understand...you had 20 interviews and didn't get in anywhere?

Goro pays attention to what other Adcoms state on this site, and respects their wisdom. I do not believe in the sin of solipsism.

I would respectfully question Goro's knowledge of the interview quota status of any medical school but his/her own. Also, why would the cycle be accelerated?

Would make sense considering the new 2015 changes in MCAT. People who may have decided to take a gap year are instead applying now. Higher MCAT avgs and more people applying is never a good mix.

I don't understand...you had 20 interviews and didn't get in anywhere?

No, this was 5 years ago and I had to medically withdraw from the school I originally went to. Not going to state where but I made a poor decision choosing big scholarships over fit as well.

Goro would unfortunately seem to be correct. Just look at UMich's adcom site, where they've been very transparent. They've sent out 430 interview requests so far and last year's total was 578. :(

Goro would unfortunately seem to be correct. Just look at UMich's adcom site, where they've been very transparent. They've sent out 430 interview requests so far and last year's total was 578. :(
If you don't mind me asking, did you withdraw from your undergrad or from a medical school?

Would make sense considering the new 2015 changes in MCAT. People who may have decided to take a gap year are instead applying now. Higher MCAT avgs and more people applying is never a good mix.

No, this was 5 years ago and I had to medically withdraw from the school I originally went to. Not going to state where but I made a poor decision choosing big scholarships over fit as well.
Yep, I strongly suspect that the massive increase in applicants this year (with the increase being a bigger increase than those between consecutive years previously) has very much to do with the 2015 MCAT. Sucks to be us.

And yeah, from UMich's tracker, they've given out 75% of their interviews. At least one adcom definitely said her school only has 15% of theirs left somewhere on SDN in the past week or so, as well, and believed that the situation was similar across most of the schools.

Yep, I strongly suspect that the massive increase in applicants this year (with the increase being a bigger increase than those between consecutive years previously) has very much to do with the 2015 MCAT. Sucks to be us.

And yeah, from UMich's tracker, they've given out 75% of their interviews. At least one adcom definitely said her school only has 15% of theirs left somewhere on SDN in the past week or so.
It might not have been a her!

It might not have been a her!
My fault! I thought it was a woman adcom. Or... at least an adcom I've been conceptualizing as a woman. Damn impersonal faceless internet...

Reactions: 4 users
if we have not gotten any IIs by now we should think about reapplying? :(

if we have not gotten any IIs by now we should think about reapplying? :(

It's never too soon to start thinking about it, but it's definitely too soon to worry about it. There's still time to get interviews.

As far as I concerned, I'm happy to have received three interviews, but I'm kicking myself for applying in early August. If I had known about this cycle being accelerated, I would have applied sooner...

I want to believe that more IIs will go out. There's been an increase in applicants and the cycle has been accelerated, but every school does things differently. There are many people who have received multiple IIs, and each of those people can only attend 1 school. At the same time, many people have received zero IIs. My hope is that things will balance out as we get further into the cycle.

Reactions: 6 users
Of course, medical schools can always increase the number they take (fat chance)...

Of course, medical schools can always increase the number they take (fat chance)...

Med schools are pretty much limited by the number of residency spots available. They typically only take as many students as they feel they can place into residencies. If we had more residency spots nationwide, we'd have more med school spots (and thus more sweet, sweet interviews).

Med schools are pretty much limited by the number of residency spots available. They typically only take as many students as they feel they can place into residencies. If we had more residency spots nationwide, we'd have more med school spots (and thus more sweet, sweet interviews).

Naturally.

Sooo I have had 3 II's and attended 1 so far with another one this week. I' m depressed cause my first interview resulted in a waitlist which totally shot me off of my cloud. I had less than average stats there so I am hoping it ultimately was because of that but idk:(. I've read sdn forums for awhile but never felt inclined to make an account, but I no longer know what to do with myself so here I am!! Good luck to you all.

Reactions: 2 users
Sooo I have had 3 II's and attended 1 so far with another one this week. I' m depressed cause my first interview resulted in a waitlist which totally shot me off of my cloud. I had less than average stats there so I am hoping it ultimately was because of that but idk:(. I've read sdn forums for awhile but never felt inclined to make an account, but I no longer know what to do with myself so here I am!! Good luck to you all.
I feel you. It's never fun to hear less-than-great news, but look at the two huge positives:

1. You have 3 II's. That's 3 more than a lot of people have. The rule of thumb tossed around SDN is that for every 3-4 interviews, an applicant receives one acceptance on average. You're right on track.
2. Being waitlisted is a lot better than being rejected. Hundreds and hundreds of people get into med school from waitlists every year. It may not be an acceptance, but it's the next best thing.

Reactions: 4 users
Don't lose hope people!! Yesterday I got an interview invite even though I thought that school had passed me over since I was complete in late July. It's not over till it's over!!!

Reactions: 7 users
I was talking with a guy at my church who just began his residency. He said Loyola (where he went to med school) didn't interview him until St Patrick's Day. It also took him multiple cycles to get into med school but he's now doing a neurology residency at a great institute in Phoenix. There is still hope! Don't give up just yet.

Just want to say that although some schools seem to have given out almost all interview spots, but many will open back up again later. After I got accepted to one of my top choice, I have been pretty conscious about not wasting other people's time and chance and have already withdrawn from most of my safety schools or good schools that aren't exactly what I want. I know several amazing applicants here and in person, who were sitting on tons of IIs and many acceptances. They all seem to have been doing the same thing. I know people are giving away II from great schools such as Dartmouth.
So I hope collectively, there will be a wave of II going out. I urge people to not be that person who sat on 23 offers last year until May.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Just want to say that although some schools seem to have given out almost all interview spots, but many will open back up again later. After I got accepted to one of my top choice, I have been pretty conscious about not wasting other people's time and chance and have already withdrawn from most of my safety schools or good schools that aren't exactly what I want. I know several amazing applicants here and in person, who were sitting on tons of IIs and many acceptances. They all seem to have been doing the same thing. I know people are giving away II from great schools such as Dartmouth.
So I hope collectively, there will be a wave of II going out. I urge people to not be that person who sat on 23 offers last year until May.

Preach!

Yes, this would be the very responsible and kind thing to do. But here's a question, do they fill the interview spots for the date cancelled or is this where closer-to-spring dates come from?

No, and I thought my recommendations were going to be pretty good too. So now I'm confused/nervous. I'm a re-applicant... are we reviewed later?

No, and I thought my recommendations were going to be pretty good too. So now I'm confused/nervous. I'm a re-applicant... are we reviewed later?

Is it possible you *weren't ambitious enough* with your schools? I have similar stats as yours (lower GPA), and I've received ii's from a handful of top 10s. But I've also received rejections from two "mid-tier" (but still very good) schools.

Medical schools know which applicants are likely to matriculate - they do not want to waste precious interview spots on students who they think are going to end up at Harvard, Stanford, etc. You say you're a re-applicant - Is it possible that your bad luck the first time around caused you to lose confidence in your app, and thus you only applied to lower ranked schools? Based on your stats, you're a match for the best schools in the country. The schools you applied to may be afraid you won't matriculate.

I was pretty ambitious...I just thought I might have heard something from someone by now. I was pretty surprised to be rejected last friday pre-interview, so I hope that maybe their reasoning was similar to what you suggest.

I was pretty ambitious...I just thought I might have heard something from someone by now. I was pretty surprised to be rejected last friday pre-interview, so I hope that maybe their reasoning was similar to what you suggest.

Your stats are amazing. I am very confident you will hear back from schools soon.

How many interview invites did you get last time you applied? Are you using the same LORs as last time? If you did not get many interview invites last cycle, I would think long and hard about your letter writers. A bad LOR is the only reason an applicant with your stats won't get any interviews. (That, or a very bad personal statement and secondary essays. Are you a good writer? Did you have your essays proofread?)

Did you get lots of interviews, but were you waitlisted/rejected post-interview? Then it was likely your interview skills. Maybe you were too shy. Work on being confident and personable, and you will definitely get in this cycle.

Good luck! I am very jealous of your stats. I am almost sure you'll get in this cycle!

Thanks for the kind words. The last time I applied, I only completed my application to my state school (submitted a secondary) because my MCAT was significantly lower. I got an interview, but it didn't go so well. My interviewer asked me the most bizarre questions, like if I enjoyed shadow puppetry? It was very strange.
I worked quite hard on my personal statement, and I thought my LORs were going to be good too, they're all new since last time... I really hope none of them are bad. I guess there's no way of knowing. I'll stay optimistic :)