2014-2015 Waitlist Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi @gyngyn ... have you seen any movement at morehouse lately? thanks in advance!
i got accepted off the waitlist from morehouse today!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 20 users
Members don't see this ad :)
can someone explain maybe with an example how LOIs or too much continued contact or too many updates can hurt? I get when people say your spot on the waitlist is already decided and an LOI won't change that but I don't get how it can actually hurt you. if you contact them too much do they skip over you on the waitlist? do they push you down on the list? I already sent mine in but still wondering

can someone explain maybe with an example how LOIs or too much continued contact or too many updates can hurt? I get when people say your spot on the waitlist is already decided and an LOI won't change that but I don't get how it can actually hurt you. if you contact them too much do they skip over you on the waitlist? do they push you down on the list? I already sent mine in but still wondering

What's there to explain? Imagine you are hiring for a job and after interviewing 10 candidates, one of them proceeds to incessantly email you to thank you, espouse their talents, and claim to fit the position perfectly. Straight to the recycling bin with you!

Reactions: 1 user
Imagine going on a date with someone, then on another date with another person and then another date with a different person. You don't pick any of them but, you're still considering them. So you tell them individually, when I have time in the future let's meet up I'll let you know. Two out of the three take it to heart and leave it at that. The last individual constantly blows up your phone with hey when are we meeting up texts. That would get annoying pretty fast. this might even irritate the chooser to the point where they don't even want to see the person that constantly try's to send them interest.

Last edited:
I'll check later.
Do you think it's too late to be pulled off the waitlist at U Hawaii or U Wash, and do you tend to get overlap with these two school?? Should I sign my lease for my current institution, or wait a bit more? Thank you @gyngyn!!!!

Imagine going on a date with someone, then on another date with another person and then another date with a different person. You don't pick any of them but, you're still considering them. So you tell them individually, when I have time in the future let's meet up I'll let you know. Two out of the three take it to heart and leave it at that. The last individual constantly blows up your phone with hey when are we meeting up texts. That would get annoying pretty fast. this might even irritate the chooser to the point where they don't even want to see the person that constantly try's to send them interest.

This is a much better analogy than what I came up with.

@gyngyn would LOI once a month (totaling 4 for me) too much since January... I really hope not

Just to be clear, I understand LOI's can get redundant, but if we have huge or meaningful updates to share that's still worth sending in a letter right?

Reactions: 1 users
Just to be clear, I understand LOI's can get redundant, but if we have huge or meaningful updates to share that's still worth sending in a letter right?
Yes, I say from my position of no real knowledge. Hearsay/see-read evidence only.

Reactions: 2 users
I would think meaningful updates that are not smothered in LOI language would help your position (esp. on unranked waitlists). As soon as you're more than a single phrase/sentence of "continued interest" you're wasting their time and making them forget the good news you just told them. This is assuming you've already sent an LOI (I being whatever you want it to be).

Do you think it's too late to be pulled off the waitlist at U Hawaii or U Wash, and do you tend to get overlap with these two school?? Should I sign my lease for my current institution, or wait a bit more? Thank you @gyngyn!!!!
It's not too late for either of these schools.
Can you explain the situation to the manager and ask for more time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn would LOI once a month (totaling 4 for me) too much since January... I really hope not
After traffic day you can quit sending them unless you get accepted to a "better" school.
We assume that "LOI's" are sent to every place you interviewed.
Relentless LOI's with no change in circumstances comes off as desperate and a little scary.

I think that is a bit excessive. If you haven't taken yourself off the waitlist then that means you're still interested. Unless if you have real significant updates, there's no reason to send more than 2 LOI.

Edit: Just saw @gyngyn comment like a minute before, on the mobile app haha!

I was wondering if people on the waitlist should be proactive about immunizations. Is there an official page that lists all the immunizations needed to attend an MD school? Or am I worrying too much?

EDIT:
I just called my top choice school and they said not to worry until you receive an acceptance

Last edited:
Today's activity is only from SLU.
Really slow for almost a month after traffic day.

Is there any particular reason or speculation for the sloth-like movements of waitlists this cycle? With respect to my particular scenario, there has been only 1 SDN user to have been confirmed to be pulled... on May 19th... seems unusual for a new school with a substantial turnover, no?

Last edited:
Is there any particular reason or speculation for the sloth-like movements of waitlists this cycle? With respect to my particular scenario, there has been only 1 SDN user to have been confirmed to be pulled... on May 19th... seems unusual for a new school with a substantial turnover, no?
The medical school at SLU has been in existence since the mid 1800's...
The first one west of the Mississippi, I believe.

The medical school has been in existence since the mid 1800's...
The first one west of the Mississippi, I believe.

We may have had a miscommunication. The school I'm referring to is FIU, which will be enrolling it's 6th class in the Fall.

...or maybe I'm missing something. Is this, perhaps, a riddle?

We may have had a miscommunication. The school I'm referring to is FIU, which will be enrolling it's 6th class in the Fall.

...or maybe I'm missing something. Is this, perhaps, a riddle?
I was referring to SLU, not FIU! I didn't notice that you were talking about another school.

Do you have any theories about why this cycle is so slow, gyngyn?
The software that allows us to manage data has dramatically improved in the last few years making it much easier to target applicants likely to attend.
The number of schools using this software may have hit critical mass.
If most schools admitted a sufficient number to fill, there will be less waitlist movement overall.

SLU, not FIU!

Oop! I see where the mix-up was. I was asking about the the perceived general slowness in the waitlist movement, in total, for this cycle (non-school specific). I used my school -- FIU -- as an example of said creeping, considering it is a brand new school with only 1 pulled waitlister from SDN (who was pulled on May 19th). Is there a reason or any speculation for how slow it has been?

EDIT: I see you just answered a similar question about technological advances. Thank you!

Do schools dislike pulling from waitlists? Seems like a safe practice that gives them a little wiggle room so they don't overenroll.
Over-enrollment is definitely not good, so little waitlist action is ok. If you have interviewed a sufficient number of excellent candidates and can still get them this late in the cycle, all is well. A lot of waitlist movement can seriously deplete the pool of good candidates, though.

Havent seen this thread before. Obviously I'm a little late. Been on the waitlist since September last year. Tons of fun.

@gyngyn any other waitlist movement at Tufts since you first posted about them a bit ago? Thanks!

Today's activity is only from SLU.
Really slow for almost a month after traffic day.

Add: UCSF.

Saw your add for UCSF. I've been on their alternate list and have heard it's a good list to be on. Supposedly they accept people all the way through August, but it is hard to judge if most of the movement has already happened. They don't tell you a rank or how many people are on the alternate list. There also doesn't seem to be a rhythm to it (like, new acceptances every Friday or something like that).

Is it getting too late or still early enough to not freak out? I've sent in a LOI and I have been working at UCSF in research for the last 5 years, would be great to stay obviously. Fingers crossed for everyone on here.

Saw your add for UCSF. I've been on their alternate list and have heard it's a good list to be on. Supposedly they accept people all the way through August, but it is hard to judge if most of the movement has already happened. They don't tell you a rank or how many people are on the alternate list. There also doesn't seem to be a rhythm to it (like, new acceptances every Friday or something like that).

Is it getting too late or still early enough to not freak out? I've sent in a LOI and I have been working at UCSF in research for the last 5 years, would be great to stay obviously. Fingers crossed for everyone on here.
Wailist movement is not over at UCSF.

I haven't heard of any confirmed acceptances post 4/30 at UCR, has there been any real movement there?

Another question: I know this can vary school by school, but, generally, are withdrawals from students immediately (same day) processed or does it take a few days or so for a seat to open up after someone has withdrawn?

Another question: I know this can vary school by school, but, generally, are withdrawals from students immediately (same day) processed or does it take a few days or so for a seat to open up after someone has withdrawn?
At this point, offers will go out quickly if there is an opening.

I see, I just think I remember an anecdote of someone withdrawing later in the cycle from a big name school and they're still having access to accepted materials until about a week later.

So basically at this point, almost June, the amount of waitlist movement will be much less huh.... :(