2015-2016 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from the Children's Institute in LA?

I just double checked my junk folder and realized they had sent out a rejection notification on 12/23. Hope you have better luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I would just like to echo all sentiments here - the difficulty/steep learning curve of first interviews, but especially the challenge of asking questions that don't make it sound as if a) you didn't read the brochure or do your homework on the site, b) are not canned (e.g., "What are you looking for in an ideal applicant?")

I also had read the journal articles a site put out before attending and it turns out they are not even doing that work anymore, so that could have been more awkward than it was! (I was saved in finding out ahead of time - just barely - about this change.)

I have found that giving applicants vignettes seems to be the most popular way of interviewing candidates. Have others found this to be true??

So far I've had three on-site interviews at research-friendly/focused sites, and I've yet to get a vignette. More just general questions about my research, clinical experiences, difficult or successful cases, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would you encourage asking in advance? Is it rude to assume they will just give us the option of bringing our luggage?
I think it depends on the site. The two sites where I asked, they never made mention if they had a space for my luggage. When I asked, it seemed like it was no big deal and were totally fine with it. Other sites sent out emails with FAQs stating specifically that they have a room for luggage. It seems to me that a majority of sites understand the need to arrive the morning of or leave immediately after and are fine with it. I asked because I wanted to make sure, but I think it I had shown up with my bag without asking it would have been fine still.

In my view the questions generated by applicants are pretty important. It shows that you did your homework, applied a little bit of critical thinking, and came prepared. Questions can come up during the interview as well.

There are so many things to ask about - things about rotations specifically, things about the population and intervention selection, things about life in the area in general, things about postdoc preparation, things about intern outcomes, etc. It isn't really that tough to think sbout some nuances to ask about, so if you have nothing to say at the end then it would seem negative to me in most cases.
That's so interesting. I knew that asking questions was important, but this makes it seem like it's vital to your decision-making process. What would you recommend if someone else asks the questions I've prepared or the interviewer answers it already? I generally found it easier to ask questions based on what I hear from Training Directors and interns. I feel like I need to prepare more.

What would you recommend if someone else asks the questions I've prepared or the interviewer answers it already?

I'm not familiar with any internship interviews being group format so you really wouldn't be privy to what other people will ask unless there is a Q & A before/after your interview. That said, I've had people ask/discuss exactly what I prepared, but I still continued to ask more in depth questions during my individual interviews, while acknowledging that the information was already addressed. (This was my go-to-method - to still be curious with follow-up questions - especially if I was sitting there & *wonk, wonk,* there goes the question I had planned.)

My key bit of advice is show genuine interest and be very curious about what the site can do for you (yes, have those questions ready), and what you can offer the site (i.e., play up your strengths, and suggest the site can give you experience in areas where you're limited). After all, sites don't want you to be 'perfect,' but to 'perfectly,' fit into their site and be an awesome trainee/support staff during internship year.

And Pragma's suggestions of things to ask were right on the money.

Oh, and on a separate note: My favorite interviewer question that I thought was also really sneaky..."Describe one of your most challenging cases and why."

Good luck to all! :luck:

Last edited:
So there is a new internship site at Wakeforest Baptist Health I want to apply to, but it is not APA accredited, which is fine, but it is not APPIC approved. Does anyone know how a non-appic site affects post-doc chances and everything else?

So there is a new internship site at Wakeforest Baptist Health I want to apply to, but it is not APA accredited, which is fine, but it is not APPIC approved. Does anyone know how a non-appic site affects post-doc chances and everything else?

It is no bueno. Lots of jobs will not hire you without an APA accredited internship, and it will make licensure in some states more difficult.

I feel my first few interviews went well. Now through the traveling process and fatigue, I feel I am rushing through my responses.

I get asked about 7 questions, I get through those in about 15-25 minutes. The rest of the time is left for Q-A. :/

I feel my first few interviews went well. Now through the traveling process and fatigue, I feel I am rushing through my responses.

I get asked about 7 questions, I get through those in about 15-25 minutes. The rest of the time is left for Q-A. :/

I've had some (early) ones I thought went great, but more recent ones that went not so well. I got accepted to a doc program at a place where I didn't think I did so well during the interview though so who knows at this point.

I've also been interviewing with a cold so that doesn't help either.

I've had some (early) ones I thought went great, but more recent ones that went not so well. I got accepted to a doc program at a place where I didn't think I did so well during the interview though so who knows at this point.

I've also been interviewing with a cold so that doesn't help either.

I think it doesn't help that sites ask the same questions, you sorta become proficient at answering them. :/

I am becoming a hurricane of anxiety. :nailbiting: Two interviews back to back on Thursday-Friday and then I'll be more than halfway done.

Has anyone ever encountered this situation...I was supposed to have a phone interview today but they never called. I emailed them to say no big deal I am here no stress, etc. but they did not email back yet. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone ever encountered this situation...I was supposed to have a phone interview today but they never called. I emailed them to say no big deal I am here no stress, etc. but they did not email back yet. Any thoughts?
It definitely gets overwhelming for sites at interview time. As a site, no matter how organized you think you are, sometimes things get a bit fudged. With that said, I would continue reaching out to the site. Hopefully their response to you is kind and apologetic. If they're not respecting your time or your experience as an applicant (and they can't follow through on this basic thing), then I would highly consider strongly factoring that into your ranking of them.

Reactions: 1 users
First, thank you so much to posters on the other side of this process who have given advice regarding attributes they look for in potential interns.

One thing I am wondering is where on your ROL list your matched, incoming interns fall. For sites that are interviewing 8-10 applicants per position, how deep are you going into the ROL come match day (e.g., 50% first-choice applicants, etc.)? I know there must be a lot of variability across sites, but I am trying to get a clearer picture of how rankings and match day look from the perspective of the average APA-accredited VA or AMC.

Has anyone interviewed or going to interview at CPMC? I am not sure if they interview for all the tracks together or are there separate interviews for different tracks.

That's so interesting. I knew that asking questions was important, but this makes it seem like it's vital to your decision-making process. What would you recommend if someone else asks the questions I've prepared or the interviewer answers it already? I generally found it easier to ask questions based on what I hear from Training Directors and interns. I feel like I need to prepare more.

As mentioned by CG, I wouldn't anticipate this coming up much. Sometimes they probably will answer questions you may have had before you have a chance to ask. Just have a list of questions ahead of time and ask ones they did not respond to. I'd say something like "you've already answered some of the questions I had, but I have a couple of others..." or something to that effect.

Off the cuff questions are fine, but you should never walk into one of these interviews without a list of questions you've thought of ahead of time. That's just being prepared.

First, thank you so much to posters on the other side of this process who have given advice regarding attributes they look for in potential interns.

One thing I am wondering is where on your ROL list your matched, incoming interns fall. For sites that are interviewing 8-10 applicants per position, how deep are you going into the ROL come match day (e.g., 50% first-choice applicants, etc.)? I know there must be a lot of variability across sites, but I am trying to get a clearer picture of how rankings and match day look from the perspective of the average APA-accredited VA or AMC.

I think this is going to vary so much from site to site that you won't get many meaningful responses here. A strong site will probably get their top 1-2 choices. A mediocre site might go further down the list.

Just bear in mind that the top candidates out there can only go to one place. When we did our interviews at my site, there is a clear front-runner, but I'd imagine other sites feel the same way about that person. So whether they end up here or not depends on how they rank us. Some top candidates will basically have their choice if they interview well consistently.

As pragma mentioned, the data is meaningless without enough context. Varies wildly from site to site, and even from year to year. Additionally, many of us are somewhat identifiable, at least in terms of location, and we will not give out information about where interns were ranked, even after the match. Just way too many issues there. You'll get to be on the other side in due time and see what it's all about.

It is no bueno. Lots of jobs will not hire you without an APA accredited internship, and it will make licensure in some states more difficult.

Thanks! I know they are working on accreditation now and my professors said go for it because it's a good program but wanted some feedback from others!

Thanks! I know they are working on accreditation now and my professors said go for it because it's a good program but wanted some feedback from others!

I'd be wary. They are not listed on the APA's "initial application" or applying for eligibility as of yet, so it's hard to know where they are in the process. Tough to say without knowing the particulars, but just knwo that if they have not officially applied and/or do not subsequently receive the accreditation, it will be hard to overcome that going forward. Here in the VA, we do not even look at postdoctoral applications from non-accredited internship sites.

Really?

That is surprising.

It could be something as minor as a human error in putting the event into Outlook, but if they do not respond (and apologize) this would be a red flag to me.

Perhaps once all of this dust settles, you can share more details.

100% least favorite question that I've received at all my sites... "So is there anything else you'd want us to know about you?"

100% least favorite question that I've received at all my sites... "So is there anything else you'd want us to know about you?"

I'd like to say, straight-faced, "I'm actually a clone of the original (insert my name)."

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry for the double post, but I'm wondering if anyone can commiserate.

So far I've interviewed at 3 out of my 6 sites. Previous students that are now interns, cohort mates, etc. keep telling me "you just know" about your #1 site. Or how they just LOVED site x, y, or z.

Frankly, I haven't been really blown away by anything yet. Maybe I'm not very excitable? I don't know. I feel like people in my immediate environment have romanticized this process somewhat to cope with the sheer stress of it.

Reactions: 2 users
I think this is going to vary so much from site to site that you won't get many meaningful responses here. A strong site will probably get their top 1-2 choices. A mediocre site might go further down the list.

Just bear in mind that the top candidates out there can only go to one place. When we did our interviews at my site, there is a clear front-runner, but I'd imagine other sites feel the same way about that person. So whether they end up here or not depends on how they rank us. Some top candidates will basically have their choice if they interview well consistently.

Just out of curiosity, what makes someone a clear front runner? Everyone at the interviews I've attended seems to be equally impressive, though I obviously don't have access to their CVs.

Just out of curiosity, what makes someone a clear front runner? Everyone at the interviews I've attended seems to be equally impressive, though I obviously don't have access to their CVs.

i'm on your side, but the fact that you're with a bunch of people who have impressive resumes means you probably have one too. so what makes a person stand out is personality and fit. do you feel comfortable with them and do they with you?

all i know is, hotel living has been treating me quite well.

IMG_7782.JPG

Reactions: 11 users
Has anyone interviewed or going to interview at CPMC? I am not sure if they interview for all the tracks together or are there separate interviews for different tracks.

I did.

Since I did the neuro track, I had a separate interview.

However, in general, I do not think there are separate interviews for the different tracks.

So far I've interviewed at 3 out of my 6 sites. Previous students that are now interns, cohort mates, etc. keep telling me "you just know" about your #1 site. Or how they just LOVED site x, y, or z.

Frankly, I haven't been really blown away by anything yet. Maybe I'm not very excitable? I don't know. I feel like people in my immediate environment have romanticized this process somewhat to cope with the sheer stress of it.
I have to admit, this process is quite strange and stressful. For me, I have completed 13 out of 14 interviews and there were a few sites that I really loved, several I felt okay with (i.e., I would be fine there for a year if I was matched), and a couple of sites that I thought "absolutely not! not ranking them!" I do have to admit that I was incredibly excited about a few of them, which are my top 3 at this point. Perhaps you just haven't interviewed yet at that "top site" for you and it is one of your three remaining interviews? If you're not a very excitable person, then I wouldn't worry too much. As long as you have a few sites where you feel like would work out well, then I'd imagine you would be just fine. Good luck with your remaining interviews!

i'm on your side, but the fact that you're with a bunch of people who have impressive resumes means you probably have one too. so what makes a person stand out is personality and fit. do you feel comfortable with them and do they with you?

all i know is, hotel living has been treating me quite well.

View attachment 199549
Lol!! I did the same exact thing the other night! Only difference is that I had a fruity cocktail instead of the beer. It was definitely needed after the long days of traveling and interviewing. :)

Hey all, would appreciate any thoughts on this: I interviewed at a site that I really liked and will probably rank #1. I felt the interview day went really well. One interviewer told me that they thought I was a great match for the site, and I really do think so too (although I am obviously biased!). The training director and I ran out of time while chatting, and she said to not hesitate to contact her if I had any additional questions. I sent thank-you notes to my interviewers, as well as a thank you note with a follow-up question to the TD. Everyone else responded pretty quickly and said the usual encouraging, but the TD hasn't responded at all and it's been almost a week. I'm beginning to feel like this is a bad sign re: the site's interest in me. I know they are no longer interviewing (my day was the last). That said, I completely appreciate how busy things must be on their side too--it's just hard not to let the anxiety creep in. Has anyone had a similar situation, on either side of things?

Hey all, would appreciate any thoughts on this: I interviewed at a site that I really liked and will probably rank #1. I felt the interview day went really well. One interviewer told me that they thought I was a great match for the site, and I really do think so too (although I am obviously biased!). The training director and I ran out of time while chatting, and she said to not hesitate to contact her if I had any additional questions. I sent thank-you notes to my interviewers, as well as a thank you note with a follow-up question to the TD. Everyone else responded pretty quickly and said the usual encouraging, but the TD hasn't responded at all and it's been almost a week. I'm beginning to feel like this is a bad sign re: the site's interest in me. I know they are no longer interviewing (my day was the last). That said, I completely appreciate how busy things must be on their side too--it's just hard not to let the anxiety creep in. Has anyone had a similar situation, on either side of things?

I've had several TDs tell me that they will not be communicating with applicants in any way except for answering any last minute questions. The sense I've gotten is that they're ready to move on with the process and have what they need from you after the interview is complete.

Question for folks - if a site is APA accredited and an APPIC member, is there a reason to be worried about eventual licensure if it doesn't seem like you'll get a ton of face-to-face hours? My read of the state regs for where I will likely be licensed requires 25% of your hours to be f2f, but from what I'm hearing about the day to day at a particular site, that doesn't seem possible. (I'm not so much worried about not getting the experience, as I'm planning on a research career after internship, but more worried about crossing Ts and dotting Is for licensure). Can I assume that the hours will work themselves out given that it's an accredited site in good standing, or should I bring up the issue with the TD? (If it matters, the site has been accredited for over 10 years, no accreditation issues that I can find).

Question for folks - if a site is APA accredited and an APPIC member, is there a reason to be worried about eventual licensure if it doesn't seem like you'll get a ton of face-to-face hours? My read of the state regs for where I will likely be licensed requires 25% of your hours to be f2f, but from what I'm hearing about the day to day at a particular site, that doesn't seem possible. (I'm not so much worried about not getting the experience, as I'm planning on a research career after internship, but more worried about crossing Ts and dotting Is for licensure). Can I assume that the hours will work themselves out given that it's an accredited site in good standing, or should I bring up the issue with the TD? (If it matters, the site has been accredited for over 10 years, no accreditation issues that I can find).

500 hours of direct face to face patient contact is typical stipulation of the internship for most state licensing boards. This would equate to an average of 10 patient contact hours per week. If I site cant offer that, then you shouldn't go there...and then they shouldn't be a site.

I've had several TDs tell me that they will not be communicating with applicants in any way except for answering any last minute questions. The sense I've gotten is that they're ready to move on with the process and have what they need from you after the interview is complete.
Yeah--I have had that experience at some sites as well. It was just odd to be specifically invited to contact her and then not hear back.

I've been to several group interviews where there are applicants from both APA and non-APA accredited programs. Is there a benefit for a site to select the applicants from APA-accredited programs?

Edit: The internship sites are also APA-accredited

I've been to several group interviews where there are applicants from both APA and non-APA accredited programs. Is there a benefit for a site to select the applicants from APA-accredited programs?

Edit: The internship sites are also APA-accredited

A site that would even consider taking students from non-accredited programs, is a site that I would cross off my list, personally.

I also have six invites. The site I am most excited about was my fourth interview, so that may happen for you as well. Or it could be the fifth or sixth!

Oh Really! This is so confusing. I did not know that there is a neuro track too. I only knew about child outpatient, adult outpatient and adult inpatient.
I did.

Since I did the neuro track, I had a separate interview.

However, in general, I do not think there are separate interviews for the different track

Not an easy answer for that other than "fit" which is a bit subjective based on the site. Some people have experience, interests, maturity, and interpersonal presentations that lead me to believe they'd be highly successful at our site and I would enjoy training them.

becoming more and more neurotic/worrying about not matching again lol, even though this process has been better this year.

really confident in myself/skills/experiences, but no confidence in this process at all.

Agh, so neurotic! Sent an enthusiastic "thank you" note to an interviewer and got a very, very brief reply with only periods . . . Periods! No exclamation points!

Many if us just send stock replies back. Remember, a great deal of us are doing internship and postdoc interviews at a similar time. In addition to the 30+ work related emails I get daily, now I get a multiple e-mails from people I've interviewed. No where near the time I need to craft individualized responses to each and every one.

Agh, so neurotic! Sent an enthusiastic "thank you" note to an interviewer and got a very, very brief reply with only periods . . . Periods! No exclamation points!

Y'all need some alcohol.

Reactions: 6 users
Many if us just send stock replies back. Remember, a great deal of us are doing internship and postdoc interviews at a similar time. In addition to the 30+ work related emails I get daily, now I get a multiple e-mails from people I've interviewed. No where near the time I need to craft individualized responses to each and every one.
Yeah I respond but don't really say anything unless they asked a follow-up question.

Is it Match Day, yet? I'm ready for this process to be over... I'm all done with my interviews and just have 3 open houses/informal site visits. Ready to rank and to find out. Seems like this day can't get here soon enough...

Reactions: 5 users
How likely is it to match to a generalist VA site or a non-VA Neuropsych site without much research productivity? I should start thinking about ranking sites and it would be helpful to know. I am assuming if I got an interview, I would have an good chance at matching, still the more info the better.