2015-2016 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is no reason not to mention it in the interview as it reinforces the idea that you would probably rank them highly (without revealing ranking information) and there could be an interviewer who didn't get to review your application (or has forgotten this fact after reading many apps). Of course, you definitely want to convey that there are reasons beyond convenience that make you want to be there too and be clear about why it is a choice regardless. But there is no reason to leave the fact out.

Members don't see this ad.

Any meaning to which applicants the TD chooses to interview themselves, vs. assigning interview to another supervisor? I can read into it plenty...but don't want to start catastrophizing if its unnecessary! Hoping its random, but kind of thinking the TDs want to interview the preferred applicants? What do you guys think?

There is no reason not to mention it in the interview as it reinforces the idea that you would probably rank them highly (without revealing ranking information) and there could be an interviewer who didn't get to review your application (or has forgotten this fact after reading many apps). Of course, you definitely want to convey that there are reasons beyond convenience that make you want to be there too and be clear about why it is a choice regardless. But there is no reason to leave the fact out.
I agree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any meaning to which applicants the TD chooses to interview themselves, vs. assigning interview to another supervisor? I can read into it plenty...but don't want to start catastrophizing if its unnecessary! Hoping its random, but kind of thinking the TDs want to interview the preferred applicants? What do you guys think?

I really don't think you can read too much into it. I've been to many interviews where an administrative assistant makes the schedule, and I'm guessing their main priority has been to ensure applicants meet with people they specifically mentioned in their cover letter. Also, as a graduate student who has coordinated faculty schedules for grad applicant interviews, I can tell you that it is generally a pain to coordinate 10+ faculty members schedules for a one day affair, and therefore my top priority besides making sure each applicant met with their potential POI was to just making the darn schedule work out. Based on this somewhat related anecdote, my vote is to not worry!

The amount of time it takes the TD to respond to your thank you email on the other hand... ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Having two questions. First
Soliciting advice from TD in a VA.. currently loving a not accredited VA, but have many other accredited sites that I interviewed at... a few being VA'S as well...
As a training director do you look at a post doc applicant less favorably if they went to a new, not yet accredited VA? Is it better if you want a VA career to go to a no accredited VA or to go to an accredited program that is potentially not a VA.
I know this again, has many personal and unique elements... but I would appreciate feedbac! Thank you
I'm a current VA postdoc and not a TD, but my postdoc cohort has 0 people who went to unaccredited VA internship sites and 4 who went to accredited non-VA internship sites. However, that's just one site, so make of it what you will.

I'll also add that going to an unaccredited site could hurt you down the line if you don't wind up staying in the VA system.

Nope, wouldn't read into it. Sometimes it's just how the scheduling works.

Reactions: 1 user
Rankings are submitted. Now if I can just distract myself for the next month and not obsess over the variables that go into matching...

Reactions: 2 users
All finished interviews!! Phew... time for a bottle of wine (or several) and some pondering over my rankings. They seem to have fallen into the general order I thought they would - I have a top group and a bottom group. So it's just a matter of deciding the order within those chunks of my list. Bring on match day!

Rankings are submitted. Now if I can just distract myself for the next month and not obsess over the variables that go into matching...

Congrats! You're a far better person than I. I suspect that I will be thinking it through until February 2.

Hi all. How are you determining whether you removed a site completely from your rank list or whether just to rank low? I had a not-so-pleasant experience at a site and I would not be happy if I matched there, but at the same time I'm worried about not matching at all. Any and all advice welcome.

Hi all. How are you determining whether you removed a site completely from your rank list or whether just to rank low? I had a not-so-pleasant experience at a site and I would not be happy if I matched there, but at the same time I'm worried about not matching at all. Any and all advice welcome.
What would be worse: spending a year at the site in question, or not matching and trying for something better next year (or in Phase II)? There certainly are places that are a poor enough fit, or have serious enough red flags, that it would be worth it to take an extra year, finish your dissertation, and try again next time. However, I would only do that for something pretty egregious. Otherwise, I'd rather just get it done and graduate.

Has anyone been getting unsolicited emails or responses from TD's to "thank you" emails that state, "We loved meeting you....would love to work with you....you were very impressive...etc??"

I have gotten a few and am wondering whether to read into it - or do they just send stuff like that commonly?

Has anyone been getting unsolicited emails or responses from TD's to "thank you" emails that state, "We loved meeting you....would love to work with you....you were very impressive...etc??"

I have gotten a few and am wondering whether to read into it - or do they just send stuff like that commonly?

Nope, but it sounds like you're doing great! Good job!

Members don't see this ad :)

i doubt many sites would be bending the rules a bit for just any applicant. sounds like a good sign to me.

Yes!!! And it makes me so happy!!! :D I wouldn't say that I gotten such warm emails back from all sites, and it is unclear to me if it is a site thing or an applicant thing... but I'm not complaining. Maybe 1/2 of the sites I interviewed at sent really positive emails to that effect, a 1/4 sent brief emails thanking me for interviewing/wishing me well, and 1/4 didn't respond at all (not that the email really required a response...I just like to send thank yous...I know, I know, people on this thread aren't always a fan of thank yous, but I like to thank people for their time...they can delete them if they want to and if they're annoyed by my thank you, we're probably not a great fit for each other...)

I have an interview at the Jesse Brown VA in Chicago this Monday, and I haven't gotten the follow-up email with the specifics of where to go in the morning. I emailed them to ask about it on Thursday, but I haven't heard back yet, and I'm getting worried. Has anyone who has or is going to interview there gotten that follow-up email? If you have, could you let me know the directions it gave for finding the interview room?

I just posted about the same thing a couple minutes ago, before I saw your thread. Sorry about the double post now. Since it sounds like you already interviewed at the Jesse Brown VA this past week, were you able to figure out where to go before the interview? I'd appreciate any information you have about where to go on interview day.

I have an interview at the Jesse Brown VA in Chicago this Monday, and I haven't gotten the follow-up email with the specifics of where to go in the morning. I emailed them to ask about it on Thursday, but I haven't heard back yet, and I'm getting worried. Has anyone who has or is going to interview there gotten that follow-up email? If you have, could you let me know the directions it gave for finding the interview room?

I interviewed there last week, and the TD sent an email with directions the afternoon before our interview... so you'll hopefully hear from him soon. We met in the 10th floor conference room (Room 10440) in the Damen Building. If you're meeting in that room, you'll need to use the Damen Pavillion elevators (which I think is to your right and down the hall a bit, when you walk in from the main entrance). When you get off of the elevator on the 10th floor, I believe the room is to your left.

A few other things: Make sure to bring your own snacks and water/coffee (no food/drinks were provided when I visited); You might have some of your interviews in another part of the the hospital, so wear comfortable shoes; and we were able to leave our luggage in the conference room, so you should be fine to bring luggage with you, if that's something you need to do!

I interviewed there last week, and the TD sent an email with directions the afternoon before our interview... so you'll hopefully hear from him soon. We met in the 10th floor conference room (Room 10440) in the Damen Building. If you're meeting in that room, you'll need to use the Damen Pavillion elevators (which I think is to your right and down the hall a bit, when you walk in from the main entrance). When you get off of the elevator on the 10th floor, I believe the room is to your left.

A few other things: Make sure to bring your own snacks and water/coffee (no food/drinks were provided when I visited); You might have some of your interviews in another part of the the hospital, so wear comfortable shoes; and we were able to leave our luggage in the conference room, so you should be fine to bring luggage with you, if that's something you need to do!

This is very helpful. Thank you so much for replying. I'll make sure to check for the email over the next couple days.

I'm sitting in an airport on the east coast delayed six hours... far enough north that I'm not stuck because of weather, luckily, just plane problems. Is anybody else having a hard time coming up with a ranking decision? My first and last choices seem obvious but the rest are hard to put in place. Hopefully things will become more clear over the next few days.

Wine helps.

I'm sitting in an airport on the east coast delayed six hours... far enough north that I'm not stuck because of weather, luckily, just plane problems. Is anybody else having a hard time coming up with a ranking decision? My first and last choices seem obvious but the rest are hard to put in place. Hopefully things will become more clear over the next few days.

Wine helps.

I am having a very tough time ranking top 3.

Flight back to home just got canceled, so I'm stranded for an extra day, but at least interviews are over.

Reactions: 3 users

Wine helps.

I'm also having a hard time with ranking, much harder than I thought it would be. It's a good thing we have until February 3. I have 6 sites to rank. The last two are easy, the first 4 I can see going in several different ways. I would appreciate any advice on ranking. And hope you get home safely and soon!

I'm also having a hard time with ranking, much harder than I thought it would be. It's a good thing we have until February 3. I have 6 sites to rank. The last two are easy, the first 4 I can see going in several different ways. I would appreciate any advice on ranking. And hope you get home safely and soon!

Aziz Ansari has that book Modern Romance he just put out, and I heard him talking about it a bit on a podcast. He talked about how when we have more choices, we are less happy and less satisfied with our decision. He used this study previously done with jam and how people who went to a store with only 1 jam on display were more happy and satisfied with their jam than the people who went to a store with 20 jams.

I'm trying so hard to see the 7 sites i have to rank as 1 jam so that regardless of outcome, I'll be satisfied, but at the same time I keep seeing this as the Remedial Chaos Theory episode of Community with all the different timelines. It's so hard to think that on Feb 19 I could end up in one of 4 states.

Anyway, I have no advice on ranking because I feel the same way as you do. Personally, I think I'll rank based on a mix of fit, postdoc opportunities, location, and friendliness of current interns (among a few others) with each of those carrying a different weight. But I do wish everyone the best of luck as we finish up interviews and sit down to rank.

Reactions: 4 users
This is very helpful. Thank you so much for replying. I'll make sure to check for the email over the next couple days.

Just a heads up! You may not get an email. Our group got theirs minutes before the interview was to start. Definitely use the location above. Also, the TD didn't come until 8:30. I got there at 8 because I wasn't sure of the location but there was no one around until about 8:15 and someone opened the door around 8:20. So don't worry about getting there too early. :) Best of luck!

Aziz Ansari has that book Modern Romance he just put out, and I heard him talking about it a bit on a podcast. He talked about how when we have more choices, we are less happy and less satisfied with our decision. He used this study previously done with jam and how people who went to a store with only 1 jam on display were more happy and satisfied with their jam than the people who went to a store with 20 jams.

I'm trying so hard to see the 7 sites i have to rank as 1 jam so that regardless of outcome, I'll be satisfied, but at the same time I keep seeing this as the Remedial Chaos Theory episode of Community with all the different timelines. It's so hard to think that on Feb 19 I could end up in one of 4 states.

Anyway, I have no advice on ranking because I feel the same way as you do. Personally, I think I'll rank based on a mix of fit, postdoc opportunities, location, and friendliness of current interns (among a few others) with each of those carrying a different weight. But I do wish everyone the best of luck as we finish up interviews and sit down to rank.

I'm certainly closer to the 1 jam scenario, but am more content than I had imagined. Having a lot of sites to rank would be a good problem to have, however it is kind of nice in a way to know that it's either match a site I know I would really like or not match at all.

Did anyone talk to any of the interns at NYCCC Queens? I didn't manage to get the details on what time the work day starts/ends or get any idea as to whether the interns are overworked. Can anyone help out with this info or direct me to a recent intern? Thanks in advance!

Yes!!! And it makes me so happy!!! :D I wouldn't say that I gotten such warm emails back from all sites, and it is unclear to me if it is a site thing or an applicant thing... but I'm not complaining. Maybe 1/2 of the sites I interviewed at sent really positive emails to that effect, a 1/4 sent brief emails thanking me for interviewing/wishing me well, and 1/4 didn't respond at all (not that the email really required a response...I just like to send thank yous...I know, I know, people on this thread aren't always a fan of thank yous, but I like to thank people for their time...they can delete them if they want to and if they're annoyed by my thank you, we're probably not a great fit for each other...)
Great!

But a warning: Don't let the warm fuzzy replies affect your rankings! Do what your heart/brain/spreadsheet tells you.

Great!

But a warning: Don't let the warm fuzzy replies affect your rankings! Do what your heart/brain/spreadsheet tells you.

I'm cautiously optimistic about these kind of replies. I was told I was a great fit at several sites during the PhD application process by places that didn't even wait list me...

I'm cautiously optimistic about these kind of replies. I was told I was a great fit at several sites during the PhD application process by places that didn't even wait list me...

I think that's the right way to be in this situation too. Word of warning: one site went out of their way to express interest in me last year, I ranked them first, and didn't match there. Upshot- I matched at my second choice and am extremely happy there. Just don't base your rankings on your perception of their interest in you.

Reactions: 5 users

Wine helps.

Definitely give yourself time to just mentally "digest." Like you, back when I was applying and ranking, my first/second and last sites were pretty clear-cut. And I also had fairly well-defined tiers. However, the specific rankings of sites within each tier (e.g., 3, 4, and 5) probably swapped places a half-dozen times before I finalized my list. In the end, I would've been happy matching just about anywhere on my list, particularly anywhere in the first tier, so I stopped putting so much pressure on myself, trusted my gut, and submitted.

Anyone else stuck in the storm and unable to make their last interviews? :(

Anyone else stuck in the storm and unable to make their last interviews? :(

Thankfully I just finished mine up and only got delayed getting back to the NE. I'm sure sites will be understandable and flexible in ensuring you get to either come in or do a phone interview. Thankfully Mother Nature saved the worst for the end of the process. Best of luck with the last few!

Definitely give yourself time to just mentally "digest." Like you, back when I was applying and ranking, my first/second and last sites were pretty clear-cut. And I also had fairly well-defined tiers. However, the specific rankings of sites within each tier (e.g., 3, 4, and 5) probably swapped places a half-dozen times before I finalized my list. In the end, I would've been happy matching just about anywhere on my list, particularly anywhere in the first tier, so I stopped putting so much pressure on myself, trusted my gut, and submitted.

Thanks, this is useful advice. I also have no problem separating the two tiers and even the ordering within the lower tier but the top 4-5 keep swapping especially because they vary widely in location and cost of living. The good news is that I probably would be happy at any of them and don't feel its #1 or bust. I just want to submit an informed ranking and my gut keeps flip flopping.

Would you rather have: a good fit in an excellent location (where you could live close to rent free due to family) or a better fit in a good location (no free rent and a decently expensive city) ??

Would you rather have: a good fit in an excellent location (where you could live close to rent free due to family) or a better fit in a good location (no free rent and a decently expensive city) ??

It's obviously a very tough choice, and I don't think what I'm about to say will help you at all, but that's never stopped me before. I think it's a toss up and could go either way. Slight preference towards the first option though. I'm having to make these tough decisions myself and have opted for location over fit. We'll see how that works out.

Depends, are you planning to do a postdoc after internship? Which one has a better postdoc? Being an intern that does well can sometimes give you a leg up on postdoc when the time comes. I'd personally go with strength of training as my #1 criteria.

Geographic location definitely factored heavily into my within-tier rankings. In part because I wanted to finally be closer to friends/family, and in part because I wanted my internship to be in a part of the country where I ultimately wanted to live. Although as WisNeuro mentioned, strength of training received greater "weighting;" I just happened to end up with 4-5 sites where the training and "name brand" were on relatively equal footing.

Yep, me too! very disappointing and frustrating way to end as it was at the top of my list.
Same!!! I did have a phone interview with them today, but it was kind of awkward because they made it apparent that they were disappointed I wasn't there in person, and then I didn't get a good feel for the site because they were only equipped to have me do phone interviews and not do any of the other parts of site visits virtually (e.g., overview, intern lunch, Q&As, site tour, etc.). :( I still like the site on the surface, but it is really hard to figure out if it is what it appears to be.

Thanks, this is useful advice. I also have no problem separating the two tiers and even the ordering within the lower tier but the top 4-5 keep swapping especially because they vary widely in location and cost of living. The good news is that I probably would be happy at any of them and don't feel its #1 or bust. I just want to submit an informed ranking and my gut keeps flip flopping.
Yep, I'm doing 3 tiers. One is the "excellent, I'd love it here!", one is the "Great, I'd be really happy and get excellent training", and one is the "if I matched here, it would be okay; it wouldn't be the best fit, but it would give me some solid training and meet enough of my goals for me to be satisfied." I am having the hardest time ranking sites within these tiers, however. Too many variables.

I am struggling with that - except it is good fit where my partner can move or better fit where my partner can't move....luckily my top two sites meet both the fit and location needs, but the rest I am struggling with. Personally, I'm leaning towards prizing location and choosing places I would ultimately want to live and have a post-doc, as moving for one year if I'm only staying there for one year just seems like too much of a sacrifice.

"The top 4-5 keep swapping especially because they vary widely in location and cost of living" - I am having exactly this experience!

In sort of a similar tough situation. Great fit, excellent location (could finally live with my partner), and excellent fit, far away location. I think I'm going with the closer to destination. But after those my sites seem interchangeable.

Anyone in the other end only have a few sites to rank and feeling nervous?

Anyone in the other end only have a few sites to rank and feeling nervous?

I have 6, which may not be necessarily a "few," but having people in my cohort and people on here reporting 9+ sites makes me nervous.

I have 6, which may not be necessarily a "few," but having people in my cohort and people on here reporting 9+ sites makes me nervous.

I'm in this boat too, with 5 to rank. It has felt, at times, like very few and far too many. I can't imagine trying to rank 12, but I also wish I had a couple more in the "excellent" tier as a cushion.

I think after a couple of days of letting the dust settle I've managed to find a ranking that feels good. I broke my #1-2 tie based on location and a chance at working with a population I want access to, and let my fiance break my #3-4 tie (which he did based on opportunities for his own graduate education in each city). I've submitted it on the system - so unless I experience a moment of rank-order panic I think I'm done!

Reactions: 4 users

I have 6 too. We can match with that! Most of the folks in my program have had 10+ this year and I definitely did not envy all the traveling they had to do.

You can definitely match with that! 6 is great! In retrospect, I wish I had applied to fewer programs or at least turned down some interviews. It was fun to see all of the places and consider all of the opportunities available, but expensive and really time-consuming. It also has led me to feel 'safer', but then I have to remember that that is really an illusion, because all sites I interviewed at could rank me very low. It's a weird game. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

You can definitely match with that! 6 is great! In retrospect, I wish I had applied to fewer programs or at least turned down some interviews. It was fun to see all of the places and consider all of the opportunities available, but expensive and really time-consuming. It also has led me to feel 'safer', but then I have to remember that that is really an illusion, because all sites I interviewed at could rank me very low. It's a weird game. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Wow, I think we are psychic twins. I had the exact same experience. A lot of my "top tier" sites were when I was exhausted from travel and interviewing at other sites, it would have been different if it could have arranged my schedule. And my credit card is at an all time high.

Wow, I think we are psychic twins. I had the exact same experience. A lot of my "top tier" sites were when I was exhausted from travel and interviewing at other sites, it would have been different if it could have arranged my schedule. And my credit card is at an all time high.
I feel ya on the credit card. It was depressing to look at the expenses of this process. :(