2015-2016 Official Psychology Ph.D./PsyD Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
[]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Generally you can hold it, unless they gave you a time limit. Although, I can't remember if the April 15th was a set rule or not. Regardless, if you have one, it's kind of a dick move to hold out until the last day. If they're not your #1, contact the #1 place (or #2 or whatever) and let them know you have an offer and see where you stand.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh man, time seems to slow in the time between interviews and decisions. :confused:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have an official offer for admission, is it possible for it to be withdrawn if you don't decide quickly enough? Or will they wait for you no matter what until April 15th?

I think it depends on the program. I was given one offer from a clinical psychology PhD and was also provided this letter from the council of graduate schools that stated that I had until April 15th to make a decision despite what a program might say. If your school is part of the council of graduate schools (which it looks like most are) you can't be coerced into making a decision before then, but if you wait that long without good reason it's not too considerate. As someone who had applied twice and came so frustratingly close last round, don't hang on to more than one offer, and do everything you can to make a decision on an offer as soon as possible, even if it is your only one.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello All,

Has anyone heard from University at Albany? Or Washington State? post-interview

Thanks!

Hey. If you interviewed with Spalding University, I called and they said we should hear something back next week. Good luck to everybody.

University at Albany, SUNY
I have a close friend who got an offer there and is likely to take it. I believe she heard within a day or say after the interview. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Schools must extend all offers by April 1st, and students must accept or decline offers by April 15th.

Hello, I got an offer from the university of memphis but I've been reading about it and it's one of the most dangerous places in the whole country and I've read way more negative than positive reviews. Can anyone help offer insight or advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I got an offer from the university of memphis but I've been reading about it and it's one of the most dangerous places in the whole country and I've read way more negative than positive reviews. Can anyone help offer insight or advice? Thanks!

I have a former prac student who did internship there at the VA, and another colleague who was a postdoc in the area. They both liked it.Any big city is going to have crime, some more than others. Just ask about where to live and whatnot. You're not exactly moving to Syria, or Flint Michigan here.

I'm moving there to start internship at the VA in August. Just talk to some of the current students there, and I'm sure they will ease your worry. There's dangerous areas in any town, but you just learn to avoid them.

It's always easier to find horrible things about anything online than it is to find positives.

I have a former prac student who did internship there at the VA, and another colleague who was a postdoc in the area. They both liked it.Any big city is going to have crime, some more than others. Just ask about where to live and whatnot. You're not exactly moving to Syria, or Flint Michigan here.
It's funny you should mention Flint, MI because it is rated as more dangerous than Flint http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/crime-rates/top100dangerous/ but that is great advice, I will ask around.

It's funny you should mention Flint, MI because it is rated as more dangerous than Flint http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/crime-rates/top100dangerous/ but that is great advice, I will ask around.

Meh, I've lived in a few of the cities on that list, 2 of those in the top 15, and have never had a problem. All about being smart and not living in the neighborhoods with exorbitantly high crime. Just like any city, you'll have hot-spots. And, having lived close to Flint, I'd live in Memphis any day over Flint at the moment, or any time in the past 20 years.

Meh, I've lived in a few of the cities on that list, 2 of those in the top 15, and have never had a problem. All about being smart and not living in the neighborhoods with exorbitantly high crime. Just like any city, you'll have hot-spots. And, having lived close to Flint, I'd live in Memphis any day over Flint at the moment, or any time in the past 20 years.

Awesome, thanks that makes me feel a lot better!

Has anyone heard from University of Denver's PsyD Program in regards to acceptance or rejection since the interviews?

Awesome, thanks that makes me feel a lot better!

My hometown and my current city are both on that list. Like WisNeuro said, just do your homework before you pick a place to live, get advice from people who have lived there a while, and you'll be OK!

Has anyone here received an offer of admission to Central Michigan University and plan to decline it?

That's only one list/ranking and I agree, I'd live in Memphis over Flint even though I'm from the Midwest and would rather end up there people-wise. Plus I know some of the faculty at Memphis and they are great so I feel like that bodes well for the program (of which I don't have much knowledge).

Also, it'll be warm (relative to other places you could be going to) and I'm sure there's a ton to do.

That's only one list/ranking and I agree, I'd live in Memphis over Flint even though I'm from the Midwest and would rather end up there people-wise. Plus I know some of the faculty at Memphis and they are great so I feel like that bodes well for the program (of which I don't have much knowledge).

Also, it'll be warm (relative to other places you could be going to) and I'm sure there's a ton to do.

That was extremely helpful, thank you!

If anyone on here will be attending Pace's PsyD program this Fall, feel free to message me so we can chat! It would be nice to find others in my cohort.

Hi, do you mind private messaging with me and telling me who your POI is?

Also, do you know if they have finished contact interviewees, or are they still extending invites?
Do you mind messaging me on several tips and things to further my application. I will be applying here in the fall!

Has anyone heard from University of Denver's PsyD Program in regards to acceptance or rejection since the interviews?

They are meant to be sending out their decisions by April 1st, so sit tight we still have time! Although I did see 2 posters on Grad Cafe who got calls to notify them of their acceptance. Fingers crossed!

They are meant to be sending out their decisions by April 1st, so sit tight we still have time! Although I did see 2 posters on Grad Cafe who got calls to notify them of their acceptance. Fingers crossed!

I spoke with Julie earlier in the week, she said that all admissions decisions were to be sent yesterday via email. However, Colorado got hit with a HUGE blizzard yesterday so I guess the campus was closed. I'm expecting a rejection email to come today based on the fact I haven't gotten a call from the interviewer like all of the accepted reports. It is what it is, there's always next year!

And DU rejections just went out. If you were still waiting, log into to check your application status.

School Name: Sam Houston State University
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/14/15
Degree: PhD
Type: Clinical
Track: Forensic
Notified via: Phone Call
Interview Date: 2/12/2016
Additional Info: Student social event night before on Feb 11th (no faculty present), all interviewees room with current students, interview all day on Feb 12th, faculty and student social event on the night of the 12th.

Hi I'm applying to Sam Houston the next application cycle- do you mind messaging me giving me advice on landing an interview. It is literally my first choice because of its specialization in Forensics. - I'd just like to know some more information.

And DU rejections just went out. If you were still waiting, log into to check your application status.

Yup, rejected! Luckily DU wasn't my top choice, and there's always next year for those who consider it their top choice.

Officially rejected from Syracuse after being on the waitlist for two months. That was my first choice school and my only chance left. To say I am heartbroken is an understatement. :'( Congrats to all that got in and I suppose I'll be back next year for round two!

If anyone would be willing to look over my CV/application materials and tell me what I can do to better my chances when I reapply next year, it would be much appreciated. If so, just send me a message. Thank you and congrats to those who got in! :)

Officially rejected from Syracuse after being on the waitlist for two months. That was my first choice school and my only chance left. To say I am heartbroken is an understatement. :'( Congrats to all that got in and I suppose I'll be back next year for round two!

I am sorry it was not your year :-( I had to apply more than once as well and I am sure when the time is right it will work out for you.

Hey, I'm sorry you did not get accepted this cycle. You can always apply during the next cycle and work on enhancing your application. I'm applying in the next cycle but I am a MA student and I decided to work as hard as possible on my application and do my research. Here are things I really learned that I didn't know coming into this .

Okay academics +stats (Gre, GPA,etc) ARE important, however it is expected that EVERYONE who applies to these programs make the cut- So this is just a way of cutting shortening the list of applications. But It boils down to two things as far as I am concerned and thats Research (Pubs, Posters, Conf., etc) + FIT. You can have a 4.0 but if the POI thinks you won't fit in well then there you go. This was both good and bad news for me since I wanted to stay near home but I knew if I had a good chance of getting it, I would ONLY apply to schools where faculty have actually published and research interest in things not that I'm interested in but that I've done research in. For instance a professor did a similar study to one I'm currently doing.
-Then they start relying on those recommendations so really I suggest working very closely in a research lab and conducting some research in things your interested in. Research is research and the experience might be equal but if you share commonalities between you and your faculty thats super important. Just a suggestion,

If anyone would be willing to look over my CV/application materials and tell me what I can do to better my chances when I reapply next year, it would be much appreciated. If so, just send me a message. Thank you and congrats to those who got in! :)
Feel free to send me your application materials if you would like!