2015-2016 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
People with secondaries (or current UCSF students if any are here) who are answering the question, "If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below," how do you plan on answering the question? I don't really have much to update them on and feel weird not writing something

Members don't see this ad :)
Any MSTP applicants having trouble adding their research experiences? I keep getting: "
500 Error
Oops, something has gone wrong. We have been notified and will be working on a fix. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Go back to the previous page or the home page"

@franticpremed I'm planning on talking more in-depth about one of my activities (share personal anecdote, etc) since the AMCAS section wasn't really enough space for me (even with extra significant experience characters)

People with secondaries (or current UCSF students if any are here) who are answering the question, "If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below," how do you plan on answering the question? I don't really have much to update them on and feel weird not writing something

I expanded on my '4th most meaningful activity' - something I've done on basically every similar prompt. On my AMCAS, I could only fit a basic description + contact information for additional positions.

I have been accepted into a study abroad program since submitting AMCAS, so I use it to explain why I'll be in Central America for 6 months next year - language barriers are a big problem in a lot of US hospitals, especially in California.

Reactions: 1 users
Got a secondary! MSTP and IS.

As an incoming MS1 - you really won't be penalized for leaving it blank. I had nothing to add at that point, since it was all in my primary, and didn't want to waste their/my time by writing a useless essay. That being said, if you have something to add that will improve your candidacy, that's a whole different story.

Just got my secondary!!!! SUPER Stoked. Esp. since I am OOS and my GPA (3.76) isn't as competitive, coming from an engineering program.

MADE MY DAY (and I got a II this morning, so the fact that this outshadows it........)

Secondary!!! Made my day too. LizzyM ~79 OOS, I had begun to give up hope

Finally got the secondary! MSTP applicant. LizzyM 81.

Members don't see this ad :)
Verified 6/5, haven't heard anything.

Were we supposed to assign LoRs before we get the secondary?

"We ask applicants who pass the preliminary review to submit 3-5 letters of recommendation, including at least two letters from your instructors."

So it seems they don't look at them until they review your secondary, but I don't think it could hurt to do it earlier. I assigned my letters a while back, and when I submitted my secondary they instantly showed as received in the portal. So a head start for those getting secondaries later (soon?).

"We ask applicants who pass the preliminary review to submit 3-5 letters of recommendation, including at least two letters from your instructors."

So it seems they don't look at them until they review your secondary, but I don't think it could hurt to do it earlier. I assigned my letters a while back, and when I submitted my secondary they instantly showed as received in the portal. So a head start for those getting secondaries later (soon?).

Oh ok, darn it. Was trying to rationalize my lack of a secondary.

Thoughts on repeating part of the AMCAS significant research essay for "Please describe your most recent research experience?" I remember a thread from last year about how UCSF doesn't receive the two MSTP-specific AMCAS essays though that may or may not be true this year...

Just got my secondary!!!! SUPER Stoked. Esp. since I am OOS and my GPA (3.76) isn't as competitive, coming from an engineering program.

MADE MY DAY (and I got a II this morning, so the fact that this outshadows it........)
If it makes you feel better, I submitted with a gorram 3.3, so I can make you all look goooooooodd! :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I still haven't gotten a secondary. I guess that's it for me. :(

If you look on previous years' threads, UCSF doesn't stop sending them out at the end of Jul. You'll get yours, hopefully!

Maybe it's been discussed already, but what order do secondaries go out? I was verified at the end of June, but I haven't heard back yet. Is it by last name? Do they review and put on hold and come back later? Do most secondaries actually go out later?

Maybe it's been discussed already, but what order do secondaries go out? I was verified at the end of June, but I haven't heard back yet. Is it by last name? Do they review and put on hold and come back later? Do most secondaries actually go out later?
I wouldn't be surprised if it was random, I was verified 6/12 and got mine today but others who got secondaries a week ago were verified much later. Maybe they pull out of a hat :)

Last edited:

It seems like everyone that's gotten secondaries so far was verified before the first transmission date (July 1st). In general, I've heard that although all of these applications are all sent out on July 1st, the order that they're read/received by the school is not chronological by the date that it's verified. In other words, someone who was verified June 29th could very easily be the first person read, while June 2nd could very easily be the last, just by chance. I wouldn't worry about it one bit :)

Thoughts on repeating part of the AMCAS significant research essay for "Please describe your most recent research experience?" I remember a thread from last year about how UCSF doesn't receive the two MSTP-specific AMCAS essays though that may or may not be true this year...

Mmm, I mean, if it really was your most recent research project, then what else will you write about?

Does UCSF send out a notice that your application was received and under review? I was verified 7/7 and have not heard anything from them.

Does UCSF send out a notice that your application was received and under review? I was verified 7/7 and have not heard anything from them.

No they didn't send me any acknowledgment that they received my primary app. The only communication I had with them was when I got a secondary.

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary yesterday! I'm a re-applicant here and didn't get an interview last year. Hoping for better luck this round!

Reactions: 3 users
FINALLY GOT THE DAMN SECONDARY. Woohoo!

Reactions: 6 users
Mmm, I mean, if it really was your most recent research project, then what else will you write about?
Good point. Hopefully I can spin it differently this time. Or maybe, another recent research project? :)

Hahah juuust out of curiosity...does anyone know if UCSF will actually contact the PI's that we put down for our research experiences? :p it's "kinda complicated" with one of my PI's

Got the secondary too and my stats are sooo much lower than their averages, so don't worry everyone - you will be getting yours shortly!

Got every UC (including an II) except SF. Getting slightly worried.

No secondary yet! LizzyM=74 (3.7, 37MCAT)
Got a secondary from UCLA, UCSD, UCI, waiting on UCD and UCSF (my top choice!)

Hahah juuust out of curiosity...does anyone know if UCSF will actually contact the PI's that we put down for our research experiences? :p it's "kinda complicated" with one of my PI's
I highly doubt they have the time and energy to do such a thing unless there's something super specific that they absolutely need to know. Now I'm curious about the complication though haha

I highly doubt they have the time and energy to do such a thing unless there's something super specific that they absolutely need to know. Now I'm curious about the complication though haha
I have been listed as a work contact (as a supervisor) for multiple applications for about 3 years now. I've only gotten one email from a secretary asking if the student ever held a job at the workplace and to confirm her job title. My response was 5 words: "Hi Amy – Yes. Thanks, avgn."

So it is rare and when they do contact, no evaluations of you are asked for. I doubt it happens during secondary screening.

I have been listed as a work contact (as a supervisor) for multiple applications for about 3 years now. I've only gotten one email from a secretary asking if the student ever held a job at the workplace and to confirm her job title. My response was 5 words: "Hi Amy – Yes. Thanks, avgn."

So it is rare and when they do contact, no evaluations of you are asked for. I doubt it happens during secondary screening.

Hahahah thank you guys for the responses! My current PI doesn't really know I'm applying for medical school because I'm an idiot and lied to her during my job interview when she asked if I was applying (people kept telling me not to tell employers I'm applying because it's an auto-rejection for a job)

Oh wow I had no idea the secondary was so short for the MD program. Kinda nice! Wonder what to put for "If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below" though...want to use it wisely.

Hahahah thank you guys for the responses! My current PI doesn't really know I'm applying for medical school because I'm an idiot and lied to her during my job interview when she asked if I was applying (people kept telling me not to tell employers I'm applying because it's an auto-rejection for a job)
This is very risky...what are going to use as an excuse to take all those days off from interviews? You already lied, but I would be up front with her ASAP. I didn't lie during my job interviews because I wouldn't want to work for someone who wasn't supportive of what I wanted to do. Granted, I had the privilege of selecting jobs like that, but still. Tell her the truth ASAP

Oh wow I had no idea the secondary was so short for the MD program. Kinda nice! Wonder what to put for "If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below" though...want to use it wisely.
I think the "wise" thing to do is leave it blank i you don't have any substantial updates from your AMCAS!

My current PI doesn't really know I'm applying for medical school because I'm an idiot and lied to her during my job interview when she asked if I was applying

I would try to rectify this situation ASAP. This will not end well if you are dishonest until you matriculate. I don't think it will jeopardize your med school slot, but it will burn a bridge and the world of science/academia is smaller than you could possibly imagine.

I would try to rectify this situation ASAP. This will not end well if you are dishonest until you matriculate. I don't think it will jeopardize your med school slot, but it will burn a bridge and the world of science/academia is smaller than you could possibly imagine.
Hahah yeah I'm planning on telling her soon since she just came back from a 3 week vacation~

yeah..if i could get a secondary that'd be great