2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Late to the party... Congratulations @VegasPreMed!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Seattle people, I feel it's time for a non-trad drinking gathering!

And congrats to all on the acceptances and new II's, very productive cycle for a lot of people. Strangely still silence on my end, but now classes have started and been ridiculously busy which has helped distract. Have moved on from then neurotic email checking and sdn daily reading to more of "if I have a free couple minutes"

Reactions: 4 users
No other LA people?

We are enjoying a short stint of actual Fall weather right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone:)!!!!!
I hope that you guys had a great weekend. Are you people ready for another week of battle???

2 interviews down!!!!!!! Today's one will send a decision on Oct 2015 :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:. Amazing school and facilities, I was baffled that I was even invited for an interview there. I was for sure the oldest one in the cohort interviewing, :oldman::oldman::oldman::oldman: lol

One of my interviewers was kind of dry, but nice, he said one of my answers was one of the best he ever heard. I don't remember for what question... but they all started by "tell me about yourself"...... Me---- I had a Long journey, I'll try to keep it concise---30 minutes later....... I am afraid that I may have rambled too much on my interviews. I hate this feeling . Well, I was myself and sincere.... let's see how it works out. One more interview on this Friday. I am staying on airbnb and kinda of over it, at least next place I will stay in a hotel and have some solo time.

NON-TRAD COALITION : FIERCE FORCE :punch::punch::punch::punch::punch::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::punch::punch::punch::punch::punch::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

SnugSeal is over here in my corner.

In the middle of a recent interview I'd been asked something about what I thought my strongest qualities were. So I started on about a few things, and in the middle of talking about flexibility and love of adventure I got a bit carried away and said something like: "And I just say 'bring it on!'".

Interviewer looked at me a moment, then looked slooooowly down and wrote: "Bring it on." With quotation marks.

I felt the spirit of the seal with me. Pretty sure Kirk was there too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Hahahahaha! I love it ;) Hey, one does not become a non traditional medical student without channeling SnugSeal and Capt Kirk!

So I started on about a few things, and in the middle of talking about flexibility and love of adventure I got a bit carried away and said something like: "And I just say 'bring it on!'". Interviewer looked at me a moment, then looked slooooowly down and wrote: "Bring it on." With quotation marks.

I think honestly, if a school hears this and decides it is a reason NOT to let you attend, then you really would not be happy there anyway!

SnugSeal is over here in my corner.

In the middle of a recent interview I'd been asked something about what I thought my strongest qualities were. So I started on about a few things, and in the middle of talking about flexibility and love of adventure I got a bit carried away and said something like: "And I just say 'bring it on!'".

Interviewer looked at me a moment, then looked slooooowly down and wrote: "Bring it on." With quotation marks.

I felt the spirit of the seal with me. Pretty sure Kirk was there too.

I do hope you get in. I'm so excited for you!

SnugSeal power. How're we doing tonight, non-trads?

brofist.jpg

I'm just cruzing in a nice king bed in a hotel room- str8 chilling just like my avatar. Ready for my interview on Friday and the following days till October 15th . Btw, Connecticut is gorgeous, the trees and scenery are breath taking. Way more hype than the Midwest!

I'm so pulling for you, B. Let us know what you think? I'm interviewing there the 19th.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just cruzing in a nice king bed in a hotel room- str8 chilling just like my avatar. Ready for my interview on Friday and the following days till October 15th . Btw, Connecticut is gorgeous, the trees and scenery are breath taking. Way more hype than the Midwest!

Mm, I love the northeast in the fall (until it snows). UCONN?

Well, since we're posting pics of our shoes/boots, hopefully this is the last October 2015 I'll be wearing these before medical school next August 2016. Crossing my fingers, y'all.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 32
Well, since we're posting pics of our shoes/boots, hopefully this is the last October 2015 I'll be wearing these before medical school next August 2016. Crossing my fingers, y'all.

THESE BOOTS ARE MADE FER DOCTORIIIIIIIN'
AND THAT'S JUST WHAT THEY'LL DOOOOOOOOOOO

Reactions: 3 users
II (Miller) YESSSSSS broke the silenceof two months... one of my top choices , plus I will be able to attend while I am here (in the mainland) !!! YEESSSS

EDIT: Running laps around my hotel room and air fighting my shadow

NON-TRAD COALITION TAKING OVER :punch::punch::punch::punch::punch::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::punch::punch::punch::punch::rage::rage::rage:

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
Congrats @B-wildered!

I post-stalked you and saw where it was, very cool! I haven't had any news in a few weeks either, but to be honest, I really just hope I land one of the MD schools I interviewed at so far. My wife and I are looking forward to having a place to settle down in, and we can't make plans until we know.

Are you staying in the 48 indefinitely for interviews?

Congrats @B-wildered!

I post-stalked you and saw where it was, very cool! I haven't had any news in a few weeks either, but to be honest, I really just hope I land one of the MD schools I interviewed at so far. My wife and I are looking forward to having a place to settle down in, and we can't make plans until we know.

Are you staying in the 48 indefinitely for interviews?

no, my last interview is on the Oct 20th in Tulane, then I fly back home on the 21st. I have 3 interviews during that week with my state school. I miss home, my SO and my dog/animals. I have to get back to work and start to make some $$$$$$$. My financial life is pretty "decadent" at this point lol.

Edit: I am on the phone trying to figure out how to add a flight into my already cluster F... itinerary.... the person from the airline company is pretty rude.

II (Miller) YESSSSSS broke the silenceof two months... one of my top choices , plus I will be able to attend while I am here (in the mainland) !!! YEESSSS

EDIT: Running laps around my hotel room and air fighting my shadow

NON-TRAD COALITION TAKING OVER :punch::punch::punch::punch::punch::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::punch::punch::punch::punch::rage::rage::rage:

Yaaaaaaaaaas! I loved Miller, possibly the one school that could give Tulane a run for its money. Let me know if you want any deetz.

I'm struggling here and could use some input if anyone wants to help out:

My interview for KCUMB is next week. Now that I know I got into Midwestern CCOM, I'm not sure I should go on the interview. I could save the ticket (and money) for another interview. However, I'm torn on whether CCOM is worth the higher price tag. Yearly COA for KCUMB is 73K. for CCOM it is 96K. (using higher estimates as we are a family of four).

Obviously this would be contingent on an acceptance at KCUMB. But I'm really just not sure what to do. Any input would be appreciated.

My interview for KCUMB is next week. Now that I know I got into Midwestern CCOM, I'm not sure I should go on the interview. I could save the ticket (and money) for another interview. However, I'm torn on whether CCOM is worth the higher price tag. Yearly COA for KCUMB is 73K. for CCOM it is 96K. (using higher estimates as we are a family of four).

Obviously this would be contingent on an acceptance at KCUMB. But I'm really just not sure what to do. Any input would be appreciated.

Couple hundred bucks to attend interview vs potential ~ 80k more in debt for CCOM vs KCUMB.

If KCUMB is a school you'd like to go to apart from COA and would carry benefits, I would go. If you think KCUMB and go 'meh, only draw is COA cause gawd I love CCOM xoxoxo' then probably not worth it.

Couple hundred bucks to attend interview vs potential ~ 80k more in debt for CCOM vs KCUMB.

If KCUMB is a school you'd like to go to apart from tuition and would carry benefits, I would go. If you think KCUMB and go 'meh, only draw is tuition cause gawd I love CCOM xoxoxo' then probably not worth it.
What she said. I was typing a response when this popped up but I basically agree with all of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know anything about osteopathic schools but 23K x 4 years = a lot of money, so I'd say it's worth the 400ish dollars to go interview.

Edit: And also what @Eccesignum said.

OMG!!!!! spent all day trying to coordinate my multi flight cluster fak. Just finished now. WHAT A HEADACHE

I used to live right down the road from CCOM, so if you have questions about the area/COA, let me know!

Thanks for the help everyone. I know absolutely nothing about Kansas City. We are more fond of larger cities, so I'll have to look into the surrounding areas there.

I used to live right down the road from CCOM, so if you have questions about the area/COA, let me know!

Any idea where might be a good area to look into for housing? I don't mind a longer commute (takes me 45 minutes to get to work now). I'm more concerned about price, safety, and quality of surrounding elementary schools. Thanks!

Any idea where might be a good area to look into for housing? I don't mind a longer commute (takes me 45 minutes to get to work now). I'm more concerned about price, safety, and quality of surrounding elementary schools. Thanks!

If you don't mind some commute time, I'd look first in Aurora. I knew some folks who taught in the schools in that area (not elementary though) and they seemed to speak well of it. You'll also get more bang for your buck out there, as opposed to neighborhoods closer to Chicago itself. Wheaton/Glen Ellyn are going to have good schools, but it's also more expensive in those neighborhoods so it's kind of a trade-off in that sense. Naperville is hit/miss on housing, and I'm not sure how schools are, but it's worth checking out. West Chicago will be your cheapest neighborhood, but schools may be a little lower on quality there.

If you don't mind some commute time, I'd look first in Aurora. I knew some folks who taught in the schools in that area (not elementary though) and they seemed to speak well of it. You'll also get more bang for your buck out there, as opposed to neighborhoods closer to Chicago itself. Wheaton/Glen Ellyn are going to have good schools, but it's also more expensive in those neighborhoods so it's kind of a trade-off in that sense. Naperville is hit/miss on housing, and I'm not sure how schools are, but it's worth checking out. West Chicago will be your cheapest neighborhood, but schools may be a little lower on quality there.

I've heard good things about Aurora from a friend/coworker who used to work and go to school in Chicago. He said the schools were some of the best in the state (his kids were elementary age at the time).

So I had emailed someone at a school post-interview back in mid-September with a question I had.

They were apparently out of the office for a while and then out sick, so they just called me back today.

I had kind of forgotten I'd emailed, so when I looked at my ringing phone and saw the area code of a post-interview school my brain was like OMG WTF IS IT OCTOBER 15TH DID I SKIP A WEEK OMG A SCHOOL IS CALLING ME WHY ARE THEY CALLING DID I GET IN OMG OMG OMG OMGWTFBBQLOL

"Hi, is this Eccesignum? Yes, I was calling about your email..."

Seriously, that heart attack though. Life just wanted to give me a taste of how it'll feel every time the phone rings after next Thursday. I'm going to resume drinking now.

So I had emailed someone at a school post-interview back in mid-September with a question I had.

They were apparently out of the office for a while and then out sick, so they just called me back today.

I had kind of forgotten I'd emailed, so when I looked at my ringing phone and saw the area code of a post-interview school my brain was like OMG WTF IS IT OCTOBER 15TH DID I SKIP A WEEK OMG A SCHOOL IS CALLING ME WHY ARE THEY CALLING DID I GET IN OMG OMG OMG OMGWTFBBQLOL

"Hi, is this Eccesignum? Yes, I was calling about your email..."

Seriously, that heart attack though. Life just wanted to give me a taste of how it'll feel every time the phone rings after next Thursday. I'm going to resume drinking now.
Oh man! I'm trying to somehow ignore everything until Thursday but it's just not working!

And...just checked my snail mail. Alternate at Rowan Osteopathic.

This is more depressing than I expected. First word from anywhere post-interview and it's a waitlist. First in a string? I don't know. I feel like a failure.

This is more depressing than I expected. First word from anywhere post-interview and it's a waitlist. First in a string? I don't know. I feel like a failure.
Chin up! There is so much time left and you're a rockstar; it may turn into an acceptance in a few months, depends on the cards! :D

You will demolish the rest of them. You have enough II that four premeds would feel comfortable with their chances for an acceptance!

Yeah just terrifies me because I felt like that was one of my best interviews. Telling you, going to be That Person with all the interviews and no acceptances.

And now I'm having my panic moment where I'm contemplating completing the spare pile of DO secondaries I didn't turn in. Panic panic la la la.

And now I'm having my panic moment where I'm contemplating completing the spare pile of DO secondaries I didn't turn in. Panic panic la la la.
I say work on them for the week. It will keep you occupied and distracted from the week ahead. If October 16th comes and you haven't gotten an acceptance (which I HIGHLY doubt) then send them in!

It will make you feel like you're doing something about your fate and help mitigate the hopeless feeling.

On another note you're gonna be fine!

I'd give yourself half an hour to freak and then go back to crushing it. I'm still waiting on any IIs, but I still plan on being a med student next August. It takes one, and it's still early...

So nervous! I hope we all do better than we think we did :)

@Eccesignum : take a deep breath, and then have another drink! :) You are going to be FINE. And by fine I mean GREAT. And 10/15 is *almost* here. HUGS

Reactions: 2 users
@VegasPreMed : just wanted to say, as someone who lived in KC for a while and grew up very close to it, that I LOVE it there. It has a surprising amount of cool going on for a city its size, and this coming from someone who has lived in Chicago the past 5 years or so. The cost of living in KC is wonderful (though, to be fair, your cost of living in the suburbs near CCOM would also be pretty good). The best school districts are on the KS side, or farther out on the Missouri side (Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, Liberty, etc.), FYI. These are all VERY affordable places to live. I know nothing about either of the med schools in question, I just wanted to offer some thoughts on location. Hope it's somewhat helpful, and PM or post here if you have questions! I live within Chicago city limits, so I probably can't give as much info on suburbs as @Okazaki Frag Grenade , but happy to help in any way!

I'm seriously freaking out because I haven't heard back from anywhere and I don't know if I am going to get rejections before I have the chance to further boost my app with my SMP grades

oh also, I had the chance to meet with a dean of admissions for a new york area med school and I got some great feedback that I wanted to share with you guys (which you probably already know, but I figured I would put out there)
  • Don't just talk about hours for shadowing - apparently they hate any discussion of straight up quantity. Instead, talk about how you interacted with the patients - 50 quality hours of personal patient contact beats out 200 hours of standing there quietly and just watching
  • When you interview, don't say "I have passion" outright. Make sure that you have stories that SHOW it
  • Be very well informed if you are going to say anything about specialities. This dean recently rejected a guy who came in saying he wanted to be a "hand surgeon" but had NO idea how to get there. To him, it showed that it was really superficial and just something that he chose to sound different and/or interesting but backfired

Reactions: 2 users
@VegasPreMed : just wanted to say, as someone who lived in KC for a while and grew up very close to it, that I LOVE it there. It has a surprising amount of cool going on for a city its size, and this coming from someone who has lived in Chicago the past 5 years or so. The cost of living in KC is wonderful (though, to be fair, your cost of living in the suburbs near CCOM would also be pretty good). The best school districts are on the KS side, or farther out on the Missouri side (Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, Liberty, etc.), FYI. These are all VERY affordable places to live. I know nothing about either of the med schools in question, I just wanted to offer some thoughts on location. Hope it's somewhat helpful, and PM or post here if you have questions! I live within Chicago city limits, so I probably can't give as much info on suburbs as @Okazaki Frag Grenade , but happy to help in any way!

Ohhhhhh just throw another wrench in why don't cha. And here I was almost totally decided on Chicago. ;) Kidding.

Seriously, this is difficult.:boom:The wife is pretty set on Chicago though...happy wife = happy life, right?