2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just woke up from the worst dream/nightmare.... (To put this in context, I am cycle 16-17 and planning on May 16 MCAT)....

I arrived at my MCAT "test center" and it was the electronics department of Walmart. They set me up on a computer, sitting on a stool. They were loudly ringing up customers right by me. My older sister was there reading over my shoulder and trying to give unsolicited answers. My younger sister was there talking trash, telling me to hurry up, and trying to bait me into an argument. My charge nurse was also there asking me to open up another register because they were busy (?). At the end of the exam I was debating "voiding" but remembered the advice to only void if it was spectacularly horrendous. I shrugged and thought "I guess it went alright" and hit submit. Then I woke up.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to a DO too. It's my top DO choice. After this cycle, I don't want to hear about this holistic bs from med schools anymore. It's all about your gpa and MCAT. I can't wait for medical school to start, so I can move on with my life and kick some major asses.

Well, at least I am banking 200-300K a year on average from my side job. I can always tell traditional students to suck it when they're drowned in debt.

Reactions: 5 users
I got accepted to a DO too. It's my top DO choice. After this cycle, I don't want to hear about this holistic bs from med schools anymore. It's all about your gpa and MCAT. I can't wait for medical school to start, so I can move on with my life and kick some major asses.

Well, at least I am banking 200-300K a year on average from my side job. I can always tell traditional students to suck it when they're drowned in debt.

LOL. What are you doing where you make 200-300k in a side job?

I agree though, medical school admissions is pretty much all GPA and MCAT. (Especially MD) People can say otherwise, but evidence just from this cycle alone from people's stats and extracurriculars shows that.

All the EC's in the world wont save you in most cases.

LOL. What are you doing where you make 200-300k in a side job?

I agree though, medical school admissions is pretty much all GPA and MCAT. (Especially MD) People can say otherwise, but evidence just from this cycle alone from people's stats and extracurriculars shows that.

All the EC's in the world wont save you in most cases.

I am an investor/trader depending on your time horizon. I was set to work in a hedge fund before I decide to pursue medicine. Of course, I didn't bother mention this little piece of information on my med school application bc I will likely get weird questions.

Finance and medicine are the passions of my life.

I am an investor/trader depending on your time horizon. I was set to work in a hedge fund before I decide to pursue medicine. Of course, I didn't bother mention this little piece of information on my med school application bc I will likely get weird questions.

Finance and medicine are the passions of my life.
There are lots of ex-finance people in medicine around here (NYC). I think they actually are looked on quite favorable for being smart, type-A, hard working, and altruistic enough to walk away from that kind of money. Or anyway walk away from that kind of money in theory.

P.S. Welcome to the team!

@timsk

I have kept a beard for the past few years and shaved fully for interviews.

I definitely prefer a beard, but I had to do it!

Holy cow I didn't even think about this... I've had a short beard for 10 years. I'm not entirely sure what I look like underneath. Is common wisdom to shave? I don't think I will be...

You guys, OUWB tweeted that they met today and, though they didn't send out acceptances (obvs) they DID send out rejections.

SILENCE IS GOLDEN YOU GUYS. *freaks out*

A new method of communication! I forgot completely about some AdComs using twitter... (goes to dust off old Twitter account and look for AdComs to follow.)

Still waiting on that first interview invite, so Oct 15 doesn't quite have the same level of importance for me yet. I'm definitely rooting for all of you on Oct 15, though!

Reactions: 3 users
Non-traditional here also...silently following you guys' conversation:)

Last edited:
"Still waiting on that first interview invite, so Oct 15 doesn't quite have the same level of importance for me yet. I'm definitely rooting for all of you on Oct 15, though!"

I'm in the same boat! We will get ours, fingers crossed. But it is exciting to hear about everyone's progress too. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
And for all those men who shaved your beards...I know it's probably more "professional" but it's also very unfortunate. I find them oddly comforting because my dad is a rugged mountain man and my pediatrician had one. Standard practice in Colorado, I guess

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You know this is getting serious when one of the nice ladies at the A-terminal airport bagel shop now recognizes you. "Hello, you again!"

On another note, 12th II! (8 MD / 4 DO)

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
And for all those men who shaved your beards...I know it's probably more "professional" but it's also very unfortunate. I find them oddly comforting because my dad is a rugged mountain man and my pediatrician had one. Standard practice in Colorado, I guess

In school/practice I plan on keeping it.

For professional interviews though. . . :penguin:

You know this is getting serious when one of the nice ladies at the A-terminal airport bagel shop now recognizes you. "Hello, you again!"

Killing it!

Like a boss! I award you a meme of ultimate POW-AH.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1443716739.135689.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
So nervous. I know I'm not the only one but it's been scary. Lol :) Praying for us all to have good news!

I am keeping my beard for all of my interviews. It is short, trimmed and well kept. If a school is going to reject me just because I have a beard, so be it. But I highly doubt this would be the case.

Reactions: 2 users
I am keeping my beard for all of my interviews. It is short, trimmed and well kept. If a school is going to reject me just because I have a beard, so be it. But I highly doubt this would be the case.
I hate facial hair but I love the way you think :)

Reactions: 1 user
I shaved for my interview due to not wanting any potential issues to arise with someone thinking it was unprofessional. I just didn't know who was going to be interviewing me (ex dean, ect..) You just never know.

I decided to shave because I already have 6 year old, well-maintained dreads and a wee bit droopy gauged ears (take out all my piercings for my interviews, of course) and i didn't want a beard to be a potential third strike :) the one school I've interviewed at basically told me it wasnt an issue for m1 and m2 when I told the director of admissions that I am more than willing to cut them if need be.

But I am happy to hear so many of you are keeping your beards. Im from Seattle and have major appreciation for a well groomed beard. Way to represent!

I decided to shave because I already have 6 year old, well-maintained dreads and a wee bit droopy gauged ears (take out all my piercings for my interviews, of course) and i didn't want a beard to be a potential third strike :) the one school I've interviewed at basically told me it wasnt an issue for m1 and m2 when I told the director of admissions that I am more than willing to cut them if need be.

But I am happy to hear so many of you are keeping your beards. Im from Seattle and have major appreciation for a well groomed beard. Way to represent!
My first thought when I read facial hair, dreads, gauged ears, and piercings was "huh I wonder if he's from Seattle"
Hi Seattle friend :D

Just got an II!! But for a promotion, not medical school...They know I'm potentially only there short term though, so it's all good. Now I'm sending those interview vibes to some adcoms...

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an II!! But for a promotion, not medical school...They know I'm potentially only there short term though, so it's all good. Now I'm sending those interview vibes to some adcoms...

All II are good II, good luck on that :D

Both male pediatricians I asked about whether or not to shave a a beard for an interview said to keep is as long as it's neat and not shaggy (or makes you look like a hobo). Lol! Sending good vibes to everyone for good news

Both male pediatricians I asked about whether or not to shave a a beard for an interview said to keep is as long as it's neat and not shaggy (or makes you look like a hobo). Lol! Sending good vibes to everyone for good news
I suspect we both have the typical neuroticism that we read so much about..

Anyone gonna be at CA Northstate for interviews tomorrow?
See if you can find ol' ChaChaStix, I'll be somewhere in the background dressed like Waldo.

Though to be fair (and to add to the neuroticism), physicians might not be the best judge for admission

OK, FINE! I'M JUST JEALOUS OF THE BEARD... :(
I suspect we both have the typical neuroticism that we read so much about..

Can you also ask them at what point in their career they decided to wear bow ties? I've always been curious. All the men I've worked with in peds do it

I am trying to catch up with the older posts since I have been on the road and dont like to use/type on my phone .THIS IS BY FAR THE MOST EPIC THREAD THAT SDN EVER HAD :nod:. I feel that we should have a themed ( open to suggestions) mixer with FREE food and alcohol for all this awesome -almost doctors group of people.

Ps:I end up drinking more than I should have last night, kind of hanging today. Made it to Ohio sound and safe.

We'll I'm officially That Person...airline has lost my suit and interview in nine hours. Unbelievably stressed out right now.

We'll I'm officially That Person...airline has lost my suit and interview in nine hours. Unbelievably stressed out right now.
Oh no! Well 1) your personality and qualifications would shine through a garbage bag, and 2) I've specifically read in several threads that they're gentle with people who had this happen to them.

I hope you get your stuff back in time but I know you can bad-ass this one to the finish line!!

Edit: and I'm really sorry this happened to you! Let us know how it turns out?

I bet this work out in your favor. You'll show up with all the swag and more, and you have the opening conversation already written out for you.
Let your personality and qualifications display all the more despite not being uniformly packaged.

You got this. ;)

Update: After making a TOTAL NUISANCE of myself for two hours they finally got someone to go look out on the tarmac where my bag was just chilling there all lonely, so suit re-acquired holy crap.

I have to admit, after having psyched myself up to show up to an interview looking like a bum, it's almost anticlimactic :p

Now for five hours of sleep!

Reactions: 9 users
NO MORE CHECKING THE SUIT BAG!

I am happy you found it. :)

They gave me no choice unfortunately. Flight was full and they were forcing people to check rolling bags, no matter what was in them.

Ouch. I guess that is another reason I carry a suit bag. I can stuff it into the tiniest of overhead space if needed!

Where are you interviewing at today Eccesignum?

I always wear one suit (try to keep it nice) and pack one in a carry on just in case.

Can you also ask them at what point in their career they decided to wear bow ties? I've always been curious. All the men I've worked with in peds do it

Hahaha! I will. One guy does, for real...the other guy doesn't. Lol! Fascinating :)

Update: After making a TOTAL NUISANCE of myself for two hours they finally got someone to go look out on the tarmac where my bag was just chilling there all lonely, so suit re-acquired holy crap.

I have to admit, after having psyched myself up to show up to an interview looking like a bum, it's almost anticlimactic :p

Now for five hours of sleep!

Good luck!! You got this :)

I feel like we got a few people here from seattle. Lol. I'm also from the area guys.

Wow, what a nightmare. Glad it worked out in the end. And is that really what happens when airlines lose our luggage, it's just left behind on the tarmac?!

And howd the interview go?

And wow, there are a lot of seattle folks on this thread! Us seattlites are quite nontraditional, so I suppose that makes sense :). It would be fun if at least some of us get into the same schools!

Holy smokes, Talk about some stress prior to the interview... My Ohio experience was a lot more streamlined a few weeks ago! Best of luck to you!

That sounds so stressful! Glad it was resolved. Good luck!!

Did anyone else just have a mini heart attack when they got an email that said "action required" and "AMCAS defect" in it...?

That sounds so stressful! Glad it was resolved. Good luck!!

Did anyone else just have a mini heart attack when they got an email that said "action required" and "AMCAS defect" in it...?
I was like, rub it in, AMCAS.