2017 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mythbusters, Turn, Elementary, Nova. Anyone else ever watch Newsroom?

Members don't see this ad.

I just re-watched HIMYM and friends and I'm realizing now how un-funny they are

Friends gets funnier the more times I watch it... I think it's because I actually understand the jokes now vs. back when I first started watching it in 6th grade.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As others have already noted, you can't read anything into the order in which II's come out. Most schools have multiple people reading apps. These people are volunteers and are doing this on top of their regular med school clinical, teaching, and research duties. If you have waited more than two months since submitting without hearing anything, it's not unreasonable to contact the school just to verify that they've received all of your materials (although hopefully they already sent you a confirmation once your app was complete). But if they've confirmed your app is complete, there's nothing for you to do but hurry up and wait.

Reactions: 1 user
3rd II, PNWU. Phew! This feels so much better than last cycle.

Who here has read The House of God and/or Mount Misery? If not, everyone, go start it now. Seriously. (The talk of scrubs accuracy made me think of it)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I can't believe I need some advice guys/gals :(. After how long I've been on these boards, I feel like I should be 100% sure of everything. I applied this cycle with a 3.35/3.62 and a 501 MCAT to TMDSAS and AACOMAS. I couldn't apply to many AACOMAS schools, because I didn't have a 2nd LOR from a science professor.

501 was also a 3rd retake. Yes, 3rd. I blame myself for rushing into my 2nd retake. I was averaging 28 during that time and convinced it was a fluke that I scored so low. I took a year off and regroup, but still managed only a 501, below my 505 average over several severaaal practice NS FLs. I've tried everything besides a test prep course.

Here's what I feel my options are:
A. Should I look into another MCAT retake? I know it has diminishing returns, but I feel I can get a couple points on it and be right at the "average" for a matriculant. I would be going through a test prep-company.
B. Get GPA up to a 3.4, then retake MCAT. If I go this route, I won't have time for a test prep-course and will probably do a May '17 MCAT AGAIN. I don't think I can score less than a 501.
C. Don't retake MCAT, raise GPA, spend time shadowing DOs and getting that science LOR and probably a committee letter from my Uni., which I didn't have this cycle.
D. Don't get GPA up to a 3.4, but take MCAT and apply for SMP. This route is the longest, but I've read SMPs won't help those with low MCATs. This option gives me time for dedicated MCAT studying.

I don't mind hard work, but I am a bit sad how rotten my 50 credits of 3.8 post-bac ended up due to the MCAT. Any help is appreciated. I'm leaning towards option D, which is a tough pill to swallow.

on the other hand, what do a few early rejections and no ii's mean? just rejected from a school i thought i had the highest chance of attending. also sitting on 2 other rejections.

so disheartened.

as a reapp who made the mistake of turning in my app way too late before, i was REALLY hoping that was the problem.

Last edited:
on the other hand, what do a few early rejections and no ii's mean? just rejected from a school i thought i had the highest chance of attending. also sitting on 2 other rejections.

so disheartened.

as a reapp who made the mistake of turning in my app way too late before, i was REALLY hoping that was the problem.

I feel you buddy. It's hard staying positive and not worthless.

I am trying to make a dent on doing one of my secondaries atleast!! BY THIS WEEKEND!!! sunday!!

Sorry to here that. How many schools did you apply to?
thanks. 43. excessive but i'm a ca resident.

a bit freaked out because i think i was just rejected from the only schools i applied to that actually reject prior to March.

I can't believe I need some advice guys/gals :(. After how long I've been on these boards, I feel like I should be 100% sure of everything. I applied this cycle with a 3.35/3.62 and a 501 MCAT to TMDSAS and AACOMAS. I couldn't apply to many AACOMAS schools, because I didn't have a 2nd LOR from a science professor.

501 was also a 3rd retake. Yes, 3rd. I blame myself for rushing into my 2nd retake. I was averaging 28 during that time and convinced it was a fluke that I scored so low. I took a year off and regroup, but still managed only a 501, below my 505 average over several severaaal practice NS FLs. I've tried everything besides a test prep course.

A. Should I look into another MCAT retake? I know it has diminishing returns, but I feel I can get a couple points on it and be right at the "average" for a matriculant. I would be going through a test prep-company.
B. Get GPA up to a 3.4, then retake MCAT. If I go this route, I won't have time for a test prep-course and will probably do a May '17 MCAT AGAIN. I don't think I can score less than a 501.
C. Don't retake MCAT, raise GPA, spend time shadowing DOs and getting that science LOR and probably a committee letter from my Uni., which I didn't have this cycle.
D. Don't get GPA up to a 3.4, but take MCAT and apply for SMP. This route is the longest, but I've read SMPs won't help those with low MCATs. This option gives me time for dedicated MCAT studying.

I don't mind hard work, but I am a bit sad how rotten my 50 credits of 3.8 post-bac ended up due to the MCAT. Any help is appreciated. I'm leaning towards option D, which is a tough pill to swallow.

After doing some reading and more thinking, I think I'm going to be taking a full semester of classes ($3k tuition hurts out of pocket when you're supporting yourself), which will secure some letter of science recs and qualifies me to get a committee letter of rec next spring AND open doors for a whole bunch of DO school applications. I guess I'll free my spring up also for MCAT studying.

Out of the 35 schools I applied to, I've now gotten secondaries from all of them except for 3 of my state schools(+wake forest). I know California sucks but I thought I'd at least get past the screens for these.

I am trying to submit FINALLY my 1st secondary this weekend! It's not hard topics, seriously .but I have to tie everything I saw to my experiences/ECs right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm tired of perpetually resenting this application process for stressing me out and making me push back responsibilities, so my goal for next week is to do 1 secondary a day and get most of them out of the way. I really CAN relax for a bit and take on more work to save up more money once I get those finished. Will report back on how it goes haha.

Same. How should I be interpreting no II, while others submitted around the same time (and later) are getting them?

Absolutely do not worry about this. Last year one of my IIs came almost six months to the day after I was complete there -- and I got into that school. So just leave it be. It's still extremely early, and schools will make grabbyhands for the absolute best fits for them first and then move down the list for months and months afterwards, even well into the spring for some places. It's not over til the actual rejection shows up.

Reactions: 2 users

How about E. Get a second science LOR so you can apply to enough schools where your app is reasonably competitive.

At this point, after three takes, it is unlikely that your MCAT score is a fluke, unless you didn't prepare properly for any of the prior tests. Speaking as someone who used to teach test prep courses and has gone through every medical exam from the MCAT through my specialty boards (mostly self-prepped, a couple via courses), I can tell you that test prep courses are not a panacea. The people who get the most out of test prep courses IMO are people who are short on time and need a quick, efficient plan for review/prep. But if you've been through the material a minimum of three times already, how much do you think that paying a test prep company for an efficient prep schedule is really going to help you?

For your GPA, a 3.4 isn't so different than a 3.35 that it's going to be a panacea either. And it's not a horrible GPA. Actually, it's perfectly fine for DO schools.

So again, I'd argue that the obvious solution is to make yourself a candidate at more schools where your app would be reasonably competitive. And if that means taking a science class so you can get a science letter, well, heck, just take the science class and get the letter!

How about E. Get a second science LOR so you can apply to enough schools where your app is reasonably competitive.

At this point, after three takes, it is unlikely that your MCAT score is a fluke, unless you didn't prepare properly for any of the prior tests. Speaking as someone who used to teach test prep courses and has gone through every medical exam from the MCAT through my specialty boards (mostly self-prepped, a couple via courses), I can tell you that test prep courses are not a panacea. The people who get the most out of test prep courses IMO are people who are short on time and need a quick, efficient plan for review/prep. But if you've been through the material a minimum of three times already, how much do you think that paying a test prep company for an efficient prep schedule is really going to help you?

For your GPA, a 3.4 isn't so different than a 3.35 that it's going to be a panacea either. And it's not a horrible GPA. Actually, it's perfectly fine for DO schools.

So again, I'd argue that the obvious solution is to make yourself a candidate at more schools where your app would be reasonably competitive. And if that means taking a science class so you can get a science letter, well, heck, just take the science class and get the letter!

Lol, thanks QofQuimica. I don't expect a quick fix at all for the MCAT. I just know I have to try different methods if one is not working. I'm amazed at the 510+ people. The highest I've scored was a 31 on a full-length. I know my potential is there, and it kills me that I didn't at least hit average. I'm aware of how bad multiple MCAT looks, especially a lower one than before.

I am trying to submit FINALLY my 1st secondary this weekend! It's not hard topics, seriously .but I have to tie everything I saw to my experiences/ECs right?
California is a royal pain to get into, though. They have a ton of competition. I'm not sure why but it seems that a lot of people want to stay there.

Lol, thanks QofQuimica. I don't expect a quick fix at all for the MCAT. I just know I have to try different methods if one is not working. I'm amazed at the 510+ people. The highest I've scored was a 31 on a full-length. I know my potential is there, and it kills me that I didn't at least hit average. I'm aware of how bad multiple MCAT looks, especially a lower one than before.
I just want to let you know that you're not alone on that one. It IS frustrating.

I also appreciate that you asked that question because it helped me make a decision as well.

California is a royal pain to get into, though. They have a ton of competition. I'm not sure why but it seems that a lot of people want to stay there.
I'm guessing it has to do with the weather and the natural beauty of the place. Those positives can almost make you overlook the over-expensiveness and overcrowdedness. What *I* don't get is why people are so gung-ho about the Northeast, where you have horrible weather, overcrowding, *and* expensive COL/taxation. It's like the ultimate triumvirate of worst qualities in choosing somewhere to live, especially as a student when you're on a strict budget....though I will admit that the New England countryside is beautiful to drive through in the fall. Still, if I was going to live out West, I'd pick Nevada, especially if still working. And if I were forced to live in New England, I'd pick New Hampshire. Live free or die and all that. But alas for you premeds, they don't have a state medical school.

For me, its the location, weather, family, and the only thing I've ever known (until moving last week for SMP). My entire family has lived entirely within a 60 mile radius in the middle of California for over a hundred years. It's a little crazy.

Weather, family and friends, weather, Lots of Asian/Filipino communities (I am Filipino), best Mexican food, did I mention weather, especially the SF Bay Area, is amazing?

Well you have lots of great big name schools in the NE. Plus, if you're a student (college/right out of college) and experiencing what it's like to live outside the confines of your parents' supervision, being in or close to a big city with loads of fun things to do and lots of interesting people to meet is quite appealing.

Also, Nevada is great coz the COL is so low but it gets so boring! And summers can be deadly.

I'm guessing it has to do with the weather and the natural beauty of the place. Those positives can almost make you overlook the over-expensiveness and overcrowdedness. What *I* don't get is why people are so gung-ho about the Northeast, where you have horrible weather, overcrowding, *and* expensive COL/taxation. It's like the ultimate triumvirate of worst qualities in choosing somewhere to live, especially as a student when you're on a strict budget....though I will admit that the New England countryside is beautiful to drive through in the fall. Still, if I was going to live out West, I'd pick Nevada, especially if still working. And if I were forced to live in New England, I'd pick New Hampshire. Live free or die and all that. But alas for you premeds, they don't have a state medical school.

My family is from far northern New York and I'm used to the lake effect snow, so I can kind of *deal* with it. Northern NY is cheap if you can steer clear of oil or electric heat. Pennsylvania isn't terribly expensive except for Philly. They tax them to the poorhouse.

I think if I went west it'd be AZ or western Texas. I wouldn't mind desert conditions for a while. It's a nice break from the humidity.

I much prefer the south though. I lived in Georgia for several years and found that it wasn't bad. The least likable place I have ever lived was in the suburbs of DC. People are just plain mean and nasty. I never lived in a place where I was made to feel less welcome.

If one had the option to schedule an interview before October 15th or after, which date is more advisable to pick, given that October 15th is the first day med schools send out acceptances?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Absolutely do not worry about this. Last year one of my IIs came almost six months to the day after I was complete there -- and I got into that school. So just leave it be. It's still extremely early, and schools will make grabbyhands for the absolute best fits for them first and then move down the list for months and months afterwards, even well into the spring for some places. It's not over til the actual rejection shows up.

Thank you - hearing your experience helps me keep perspective and not over-think it. Sometimes this process feels like middle school gym class.

someone I'm close to made fun of me for being a re-applicant without realizing how hurtful it was
it was probably the worst I've ever felt since deciding to apply to medical school

someone I'm close to made fun of me for being a re-applicant without realizing how hurtful it was
it was probably the worst I've ever felt since deciding to apply to medical school

I'd try to let that person know how it made you feel, or sneak in hints of how being a reapplicant feels. IMO, that type of comment takes a serious lack of social awareness.

Do you really want to go to medical school? This is your future we're talking about here. Not theirs.

If you really want to get into medical school, don't let someone get you down. You will be the only one regretting it.
Will my relatives be thinking about how I missed out on being a doctor on their death beds? No.
Will my best friends be thinking about that? No.
You will be the only person tortured for not following through with what you wanted to do during your lifetime.
I'm from the NYC area...and we don't go PC with our language all the time.
"Screw 'em!" Seriously. You do what you want to do. Don't let someone else cause you pain for something like that.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello dear folks, can you help read my secondary essay for my 1st secondaries ? I need some help. Essays are short

UWS here, #preach

Do you really want to go to medical school? This is your future we're talking about here. Not theirs.

If you really want to get into medical school, don't let someone get you down. You will be the only one regretting it.
Will my relatives be thinking about how I missed out on being a doctor on their death beds? No.
Will my best friends be thinking about that? No.
You will be the only person tortured for not following through with what you wanted to do during your lifetime.
I'm from the NYC area...and we don't go PC with our language all the time.
"Screw 'em!" Seriously. You do what you want to do. Don't let someone else cause you pain for something like that.

I'm guessing this person has not gone through the app process themselves and does not understand how insanely stressful and difficult it is even for those who are successful. As others have suggested, if this is someone you care about and want to maintain a relationship with, it would be to both of your benefits if you educated them about this. If it's someone you don't really care about, f*** 'em. Friends are like closets full of clothes: every so often it's good to clean them out and get rid of the ones that don't fit.

I just got back from my second fellowship interview. Liked the people and the program, definitely my favorite location by far of the three places I've applied. Has some other major disadvantages though that give me pause. Lots to think about when I go to put together a rank order list....

Reactions: 5 users
I just discovered this thread! So happy to see I'm not the only non-trad out there :)
I hope everyone's application process is going well so far!

Reactions: 5 users
First Allo II just came in. And it's my birthday! Happy Birthday to me!!!

Reactions: 7 users
I understand that the joke hurt you, but I think some people are being presumptive in their suggestions. Yes, tell him/her that you would like them to not joke about it because it is such a big deal to you and still very fresh. However, depending on the relationship, I would do the same thing to most of my friends and expect the same directed at me, as long as it was A)friendly ribbing and b) funny. Essentially, it's our way of saying, "Damn, that sucks. Now get over it and move forward."

Dunno if that's what happened, just saying, the person making the joke may not be as much an a**hole as has been made out. They may just say dickish things amongst friends assuming you could take it. Or maybe they are just a dick and you should tell him to go f*** himself. Either way.... time to get over it and move forward ;)

I just discovered this thread! So happy to see I'm not the only non-trad out there :)
I hope everyone's application process is going well so far!
Beautiful cat! I have a female Maine Koon, myself. I love the long hair cats.

First rejection today! I assume they're yield protecting (high app-count school with moderate stats), but it made me laugh at least. I will say once you have a handful of IIs, dealing with these becomes easier.

Ok, I'm going to rant a minute now...I really don't understand why a LOR is such a big deal. It's not like I'm asking for a doctoral dissertation or a biography.

I'm asking for a freaking..."hey this person is ok. She's not nuts. She can study and do well. Here's my signature, email, and letterhead." DONE.

Most big school profs probably have standardized letters that they tweak. Honestly, out of the hundreds in my 101 classes, how many of those people does my professor actually know? I knew the grad lab assist better than I knew my own prof. I know it's another hurdle and sort factor, but I don't understand why some profs make it like pulling teeth.

Ok, I'm going to rant a minute now...I really don't understand why a LOR is such a big deal. It's not like I'm asking for a doctoral dissertation or a biography.

I'm asking for a freaking..."hey this person is ok. She's not nuts. She can study and do well. Here's my signature, email, and letterhead." DONE.

Most big school profs probably have standardized letters that they tweak. Honestly, out of the hundreds in my 101 classes, how many of those people does my professor actually know? I knew the grad lab assist better than I knew my own prof. I know it's another hurdle and sort factor, but I don't understand why some profs make it like pulling teeth.

Yeah, seriously. It has been hard to fill the requisite 2+ science professor LOR requirements, especially since I attended a large school. These professors do not know me as a person, and are really just affirming academic qualities already on my transcript. Other profs from writing-intensive courses and work supervisors have a much better idea on my critical thinking ability and humanistic qualities.

Other profs from writing-intensive courses and work supervisors have a much better idea on my critical thinking ability and humanistic qualities.
I agree. My boss could tell them what I'm like. He can tell them how dedicated I am.

My one professor literally told me he didn't know me, but would write me one based on my resume and a statement of intent....
and I just got it through Interfolio and it is neither on letterhead nor is it signed. I can't win...

For some reason, this is where the nontrad characteristic has one of its down sides.

I am STILL waiting for one of my science letters to be submitted. It is so frustrating. We originally met in May for an hour and a half interview. Which was rescheduled on his end 3 times but okay I was gracious about it. He agreed to a July 31st absolute deadline. When I got verified August 2nd, I went to his office to remind him. With chocolate. That I imported from 4 different countries. After that summer ended (and thus his office hours). Fall just started but his office hours have not yet. Plus now there is all that comes with getting a semester going. Since then, I have re-sent the interfolio upload email to him twice. Ugh it's so frustrating. I have 6 other really good letters on my file. His is still not in and many schools are waiting for it to mark me complete. Meanwhile tick tock it's almost September!!!!!! Also, waiting for it to even submit my DO primary.

TL;DR still waiting for science letter and frustrated

I am STILL waiting for one of my science letters to be submitted. It is so frustrating. We originally met in May for an hour and a half interview. Which was rescheduled on his end 3 times but okay I was gracious about it. He agreed to a July 31st absolute deadline. When I got verified August 2nd, I went to his office to remind him. With chocolate. That I imported from 4 different countries. After that summer ended (and thus his office hours). Fall just started but his office hours have not yet. Plus now there is all that comes with getting a semester going. Since then, I have re-sent the interfolio upload email to him twice. Ugh it's so frustrating. I have 6 other really good letters on my file. His is still not in and many schools are waiting for it to mark me complete. Meanwhile tick tock it's almost September!!!!!! Also, waiting for it to even submit my DO primary.

May I ask why you need 7 letters?

May I ask why you need 7 letters?

I meticulously combed through the recommendations, requirements, minimums, and maximums for LORs from every school I was applying to. It resulted in a list of 7 to cover all bases. Not every school is getting each one. I have schools which require/want 2 non-academic character letters, a letter from your major, a letter from an upper level science, a letter from every school attended, a letter from every full time employer, a letter from every most meaningful, a letter from a clinician, 2 science letters, a non-science letter, etc. Obviously some of those overlap. And thus I was able to comply with every medical school on my list through these 7.

I meticulously combed through the recommendations, requirements, minimums, and maximums for LORs from every school I was applying to. It resulted in a list of 7 to cover all bases. Not every school is getting each one. I have schools which require/want 2 non-academic character letters, a letter from your major, a letter from an upper level science, a letter from every school attended, a letter from every full time employer, a letter from every most meaningful, a letter from a clinician, 2 science letters, a non-science letter, etc. Obviously some of those overlap. And thus I was able to comply with every medical school on my list through these 7.

I think having a variety and tailoring them to what you know of each school is smart.

Wow, you're at the "Can I pay you, wash and wax your car and clean your house?" point, huh? I had a very difficult time myself. I was almost at the point of asking if I could write a letter, let them look at it, and if they agreed, have them sign it. lol

I have two science letters from recent professors, that were not easily obtained. They balked at it. The other science professor's letter is dated and it was a teaching recommendation from my school's database for when I started teaching high school science. It was supposed to be his LOR for school boards, etc for a potential hire. I used the same as a science faculty recommendation, because it was very detailed about my abilities. He did teach me two other courses in science other than being the student teaching advisor. It was actually much better than my other two recommendations. Other than that, I mainly have a boss's recommendation, a few work associates' recommendations, charity volunteer recommendation letter, and a physician LOR from a shadow experience.

Trust me, I understand having a ton of recommendations. I'd rather have too many than too few.

I'll be there early October.

Just FYI for folks heading to interviews -- if you're not staying with a student host and are looking for hotels, always mention you're going to X school for an interview and ask if they have special X school rates. I got some amazing hotel room discounts last year by just asking after this.