2018-2019 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (Carolinas)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still none.. even after traffic day.
That does not mean anything though. It is still early, and remember its a trickle down effect, so other schools have to move first. Second, they might be meeting to re-evaluate everyone on the WL. Do not get worried yet. It has only been 2 days.

Reactions: 1 user
That does not mean anything though. It is still early, and remember its a trickle down effect, so other schools have to move first. Second, they might be meeting to re-evaluate everyone on the WL. Do not get worried yet. It has only been 2 days.
Thanks, you are definitely right. Just feels hopeless this late in the game I suppose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, you are definitely right. Just feels hopeless this late in the game I suppose.
If it makes you feel any better, I interviewed at a different school on 3.29 and was accepted 4.17.
I interviewed at VCOM-Auburn on 4.2 and they told us that they pulled 40 people off the WL last season.
It is never too late if you're still being considered. A LOT of movement happens this late, the problem currently is that AAMC changed their rules this year which is making schools on the MD side go slower which causes the DO schools to move even slower. The whole system is backed up.

It'll be okay, I was put on the waitlist and was accepted last week. Just have to be patient :)

Reactions: 1 users
It'll be okay, I was put on the waitlist and was accepted last week. Just have to be patient :)
Congrats! Do you also mind sharing your stats/when you interviewed and was waitlisted? Would really help us judge our place on the waitlist, even though the answer changes nothing. Regardless, thanks for the hope.

Congrats! Do you also mind sharing your stats/when you interviewed and was waitlisted? Would really help us judge our place on the waitlist, even though the answer changes nothing. Regardless, thanks for the hope.
I interviewed on 4/1, and was placed on the waitlist a couple weeks after. Then I was accepted on 5/7 I believe (sorry I don't remember the exact date). Stats: 3.75 cGPA, 3.65 GPA with a 502 MCAT. Hope this helps.

I was told by the admission director there had been some movement from the wait list and they expect more movement in June.

I was told by the admission director there had been some movement from the wait list and they expect more movement in June.
Just wish they told us our rank on the waitlist, not knowing just makes it worse. :(

I got accepted off the waitlist yesterday! Good luck to everybody still waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I just got accepted, thank you to everyone who replied to my neurotic comments! I just never thought I would get in with a 121 cars, but it happened. I am actually scheduled to retake the MCAT on June 1st lmao cause I didnt think I'd get in.
Stats: 3.92 cpga 3.91 sgpa / 497 MCAT Interview Date: 1/14/19

Reactions: 5 users
I was recently accepted to vcom-Carolinas. Super excited!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the call. I was placed on the wait list in March.

Reactions: 5 users
Is a touchscreen tablet required/recommended?
I think it would be helpful for studying, but I know they require computers for taking tests, right?
I’m just trying to see what I need to purchase before school. My laptop is pretty old...

Is a touchscreen tablet required/recommended?
I think it would be helpful for studying, but I know they require computers for taking tests, right?
I’m just trying to see what I need to purchase before school. My laptop is pretty old...
I was wondering this too, I have a MacBook Pro from 2015 and it works fine, not sure how strict they are on that 3 year policy? Also does anyone know what extraneous things we need to get before orientation?

I have no idea. I have a 2013 MacBook Pro which works fine. I was told at one point that if the testing software works then we might be okay.

Also have people already looked for housing/ have recommendations? I’m planning on going mid July to find a place but would appreciate any insight from people who have already found a place/current students.

I have no idea. I have a 2013 MacBook Pro which works fine. I was told at one point that if the testing software works then we might be okay.

Also have people already looked for housing/ have recommendations? I’m planning on going mid July to find a place but would appreciate any insight from people who have already found a place/current students.
Yeah same, I have not really looked either, im going at the end of June to check them out, but would like any input as well on a safe/close place to live. Im 90 percent sure that our mac's would be fine since macs usually have a long lifespan. My PC from high school died in 4 years, but my mac is still strong although a little slower.

Here are the computer requirements. The softwear they use for exams is Examplify. If you have questions, call them and ask. From what I understand, you will want an up to date computer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-06-03-16-10-50.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-03-16-10-50.png
    206.4 KB · Views: 128
Here are the computer requirements. The softwear they use for exams is Examplify. If you have questions, call them and ask. From what I understand, you will want an up to date computer.
My computer has these specs (8gb ram, 256 ssd, and intel 5), so I should be okay to go right? I might call just to make sure.

Hey is there is a 2019 match list we can see? Online it’s only up to 2018.

Got accepted yesterday, but have declined the seat! I hope it goes to someone else here still waiting! :)

Was the match list ever released?
I haven't seen our official match list be released anywhere, but it was pretty solid (they have it posted in the school). We matched a neurosurg at Mayo (and I think another neurosurg somewhere else) and an ENT. Our EM match was also good (my desired specialty).

For those of you with computer questions, I used an old AF 1st gen Macbook Air for most of my first year until I ran out of space, so you should be good if you have something semi-new with decent memory.

Do you think I will need a car at VCOM especially since I wish to do research?

Do you think I will need a car at VCOM especially since I wish to do research?

I wont have a car either, but I'm a 20-minute walk from the school. I talked to an admissions counselor and she said the only time you would really need a car is at night if you're going home late/when it is cold out - but she also said she's sure ill be able to carpool with other students if I really need a ride

I just got off the waitlist today! :D so excited but scared at the same time because I have about 2 weeks to find a place to live. Does anyone know how I should go about last minute apartment hunting?

I would look into Drayton mill, Mayfair, church street, Arcadia, and brick street lofts.

I will be moving 13 hours away to VCOM-CC. Do you guys know what supplies I should bring for moving as well as for classes at VCOM-CC?

Okay, to start, it seems to be your mission to diss our school on here and discourage applicants, which I personally do not understand how that is beneficial to you. It certainly isn't to our school or to applicants who may do very well at VCOM and find themselves discouraged by you. If that makes you happy as you stated, you might want to re-evaluate yourself...
Is our school perfect? No.
Is any school perfect? No.
Are the issues with our school as terrible as you make them seem with all these negative generalizations and statements? No.

To address the things you specifically have mentioned for any applicants/accepted students reading this:
- No, we do not have an affiliated undergraduate institution. Would that be advantageous, sure. Does it affect my every day life? Not slightly. Also, Louisiana is still only a proposed campus at this point so it shouldn't even be a part of the discussion right now.
- We do have an interim anatomy chair. Dr. Paulman is amazing and it is very unfortunate that he will be leaving; however, that has nothing to do with VCOM's stability or credibility and that is all I will say about that (and yes I know the reason, it is just not appropriate/relevant to the discussion, promise).
- In regards to the faculty turnover, some of the statements you made are frankly not true. We certainly do not have a new head of a department every block, unless that suddenly stopped since I started at VCOM (doubtful). Our pathology head has not changed in the "past few months". Professor/staff turnover is part of life. It happens at every school, job, hospital etc. People have lives and they take us different places. I do not feel my class has really "felt" any changes in faculty, at least not yet.
-Having more faculty in the surgery and pathology departments would be helpful. However, we are a DO school with the goal of producing primary care graduates. We also regularly have surgeons lecture with us who are not full-time faculty.
-I find it hard to believe all the faculty you listed openly speak poorly about our institution. Do they have negative things to say at times when things don't go smoothly? Sure, but I highly, highly doubt they would discourage applicants from coming to our school.
- As far as the dean goes, that man is one of the nicest people I have met and although we don't see him much, I am sure he has a lot on his plate. Would it be great for him to seem more involved? Yes. Do I think it would do much? No, because as you have stated repeatedly, faculty's hands are often tied because of Virginia. Same thought with Dr. J.

-Now, to avoid sounding like I am spreading solely froo-froo lovey-dovey BS, the issue with having to go through Virginia is definitely problematic at times. Our school does need more independence as a satellite campus, since we have unique issues and considerations. In my personal experience, I have only encountered this being openly used a reason for an issue that affected my class in one circumstance so far, which was relatively minor since there are other resources (recording OMM labs).
Are there issues with pathology? Well, many will say yes. If student-directed learning is NOT for you, it will be difficult. I personally do not like student-directed learning as much, but I figured out what works for me and I am doing just fine with it. It can definitely be done.

Now to address what I believe to be one of the more important topics being discussed, below is a screenshot of our current college outcomes report of COMLEX level 1 scores. As of this past year, we are right on the national average and matched up with Virginia's average. You guys are smart people and can make your own conclusions with this data. Personally, I am a strong believer that your experience is what you make of it, and personally these were stats that I was comfortable with when I decided to come to VCOM.
View attachment 247924
(Not sure what happened with the class of 2018, but since then we have gotten it together as a campus it seems)

IN CONCLUSION: Please, please feel free to reach out with any questions. I will be straight up with you. Any of you who are interviewing or visiting are welcome to meet for coffee or whatever and I will answer any questions honestly and to the best of my knowledge, show you what a pathology SDL entails, show you VCOM TV, whatever.

At the end of the day, I want to be a DOCTOR. VCOM-CC can make that happen, and regardless of the issues that arise from time to time, I am still very happy with my decision to come to VCOM. I wish you all the best of luck wherever you end up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys!

I was wondering if there are any current VCOM-CC students who could answer a few questions about the school for me please. I am considering attending the school but have a few questions/concerns.

Thank you!