2019-2020 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone tried calling the office of admissions or knows when the next batch of decisions will be released?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly. But by using post tax income, you are in effect, paying taxes on that money, just not right away.
But aren't you paying taxes on earned income either way, whether or not you use it to pay off loans?? All you're saying is that EVERYTHING you spend earned income on costs more than the listed price because you first have to pay taxes on the income, with limited exceptions for things like mortgage interest, some student loan interest and business expenses that the IRS allows as deductions. Paying back loan principal (and the non-deductible portion of interest) is no more expensive than anything else you do with your money! :)

Last edited:
Gotcha! I was worried they were taxed when you received them AND you're paying them off with post-tax income. That would be tragic. Thank you so much for clarifying.
P.S. -- everyone should check, but I am pretty sure that any scholarship money that isn't used for tuition, fees, required equipment and books, etc. (i.e., living expenses, housing, etc.) IS taxed as income. Just an FYI!

Members don't see this ad :)
P.S. -- everyone should check, but I am pretty sure that any scholarship money that isn't used for tuition, fees, required equipment and books, etc. (i.e., living expenses, housing, etc.) IS taxed as income. Just an FYI!

Yes - that is what the article I linked said as well. Make sure you stay on top of your finances folks!

In other news, anyone got those sweet sweet lottery numbers?

My parents aren’t paying for my schooling, but I also know that if anything happened to me like my car needed repairing, I got into an accident, or whatever they could have my back in a pinch. They are a safety net for me. There are people here who save their stipend aggressively because *they* are the safety net for their family. The option they may have been presented with without Stanford’s aid would not have been “go into debt for Stanford and compromise about ways to service it in the long run” or “choose a more generous offer”. It simply wouldn’t have been an option at all. That’s what I mean when I say “keep things in perspective”.

This is a very good point Lucca, and you are right. I am very fortunate to be in a position where 1) I have the chance to attend Stanford for my MD (something truly beyond my wildest dreams!) AND 2) if something went horribly wrong my parents could be my safety net - I don't need to be their safety net, as you explained. It is true, for a student who is their family's primary source of support, they might have to use their stipend to help their family right now in an extreme case, or the prospect of med school loans might truly be inhibitory to their dream of going into medicine - because if something goes wrong for THEM, they'd be straddled with hundreds of thousands in debt and no prospect of family support to help them. Fortunately for me, that is likely not the case, so I am very thankful for that. I just wish that the middle class was helped out a wee bit more, but your perspective is very appreciated - my aid offer, while disappointing, won't keep me from going to Stanford. But for others, a low aid package would.

Reactions: 4 users
for accepted students, does anyone's status page still show an x next to "SUNet ID submitted" ? I've already created my ID and have access to the "axess" website. Am I missing something?

Reactions: 1 users
Boys and girls, I can feel in my bones that today is the big day. Keep your phones charged and loud!

P.S. just a guess, don’t take me seriously

• Wow
Boys and girls, I can feel in my bones that today is the big day. Keep your phones charged and loud!

P.S. just a guess, don’t take me seriously

They really should consider calling soon because its been a hot minute

Does anyone know how the waitlist works? ie, should we send letters of interest/intent? there is not anywhere on the portal to upload such a doc and the waitlist email does not mention it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how many admitted students in the facebook group already?

Which fb group are you looking at? The one linked earlier in this thread "Stanford School of Medicine Entering Class of 2020" has 7 members. Is there another one?

If there are already 97 admitted students in the facebook group, there probably aren't gonna be many more acceptances in the next weeks

If there are already 97 admitted students in the facebook group, there probably aren't gonna be many more acceptances in the next weeks
The were 179 in group for 2018 and 189 for 2019. Also, I see just 7 in the group for 2020, so maybe I’m looking at the wrong group or members are hidden?

Stanford canceled in person classes so I am assuming that second look is going to be canceled..?

• Sad
  • Wow

Stanford also cancelled admitted students' weekend for undergrads and are taking care of patients (including a Stanford Med faculty member) with coronavirus in the hospital. Sucks that second look may get cancelled but their health and ours as well is much more important in the long run.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Second Look is probably going to be cancelled, which is fine. But now how am I supposed to get my free Stanford swag and shirts? If anyone is reading this from admissions, mail me a t shirt!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Would anyone have an idea on how many waitlists were sent out?

I haven't heard anything after interviewing in the Fall. Is it better to have received some update on your status or none at all and still hope for a possible A...?

Do we think they're gonna wait till Friday for the Feb interviewees?
My nerves are absolutely fried
Guesses and predictions are welcome

• Love
Just got an email saying that Second Look will be a virtual event.

Last edited:
  • Sad
can i have a lil stipend for alcohol since we won't get to benefit from an open bar in-person?

• Haha
MD-only here, still haven't gotten anything. One can hope, but given this update and the fact that Stanford cancelled many other admit weekends, it's not looking great. Was really looking forward to the event and meeting y'all. Would have been so fun!

• Love
Do we think they're gonna wait till Friday for the Feb interviewees?
My nerves are absolutely fried
Guesses and predictions are welcome
According to AAMC traffic rules: "By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS." But based on the # of people in the FB pg, looks like Stanford has already given at least 90 acceptances so the next wave might not even be this week..... If any brave soul wants to contact admissions to ask about decision timeline for Feb interviewees and report back to us, you will be forever enshrined as a hero in this storied thread.

Reactions: 2 users
According to AAMC traffic rules: "By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS." But based on the # of people in the FB pg, looks like Stanford has already given at least 90 acceptances so the next wave might not even be this week..... If any brave soul wants to contact admissions to ask about decision timeline for Feb interviewees and report back to us, you will be forever enshrined as a hero in this storied thread.

Interesting, I wonder how many acceptances are to be given out considering Stanford is likely very affordable for many accepted students and they already accepted their class size.

I hope Stanford hasn't accepted the class size yet. I haven't heard of any fellow February interviewees being accepted on SDN, Reddit, or IRL. While it is possible that some February interviewees heard back already and that Stanford has accepted their class size, basing this off the Facebook group isn't the most accurate way to support this claim. Just because the group has a few more members than the class size doesn't mean every member is someone admitted this cycle. For example another school's Facebook group I joined already had close to 50 members before they started letting accepted students join. I wouldn't count yourself out yet, there is still time until the 15th!

Just got the official email from MD Admissions that second look is officially virtual.

Unfortunate, but expected, and our hearts go out to those affected more directly by the coronavirus

I hope Stanford hasn't accepted the class size yet. I haven't heard of any fellow February interviewees being accepted on SDN, Reddit, or IRL. While it is possible that some February interviewees heard back already and that Stanford has accepted their class size, basing this off the Facebook group isn't the most accurate way to support this claim. Just because the group has a few more members than the class size doesn't mean every member is someone admitted this cycle. For example another school's Facebook group I joined already had close to 50 members before they started letting accepted students join. I wouldn't count yourself out yet, there is still time until the 15th!
True, there will definitely be another acceptance wave for the feb interviews. I was just saying that it might not be this week because I think they may have already given 90 acceptances. In previous years, the number of members in the fb group was approximately equal to the number of applicants Stanford accepts. Sure, there will be some current students in the fb group, but also some accepted applicants won’t have fb accounts or wont join the group, so historically the number of members in the FB group had been a decent approximation for the number of accepted applicants.

Last edited:
  • Sad
True, there will definitely be another acceptance wave for the feb interviews. I was just saying that it might not be this week because I think they may have already given 90 acceptances. In previous years, the number of members in the fb group was approximately equal to the number of applicants Stanford accepts. Sure, there will be some current students in the fb group, but also some accepted applicants won’t have fb accounts or wont join the group, so historically the number of members in the FB group had been a decent approximation for the number of accepted applicants.

I never thought of that. Good points!

Anyone else not interview but not receive a rejection yet...? Wondering if my application got lost...

Who wants to be forever enshrined a hero :)

101 members now in the fb group. Last years group had 189. Hoping some feb interviewees get some love soon!

• Love
I would but i am at miami beach sipping on mimosa haha
Same, I'm out of the country
What if one of the accepted students makes the call on our behalf?

If you do, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will buy you a drink

Reactions: 3 users
So Yale is mailing accepted students school swag since second look will be virtual... can we expect a Stanford shirt in the mail? *puppy eyes*

• Wow
  • Okay...
Just got the acceptance call an hour ago, interviewed early Feb. Best of luck to everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
there's nothing quite like waiting for a phone call that will probably never come....

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users